Pyrannah 02-Mar-21
28-Feb-21

Pyrannah's embedded Photo
Pyrannah's embedded Photo
Really starting to step up my training for this fall

Strapped a 50# plate for some repetitive short hill climbs

Think this is ok idea for the pack?

28-Feb-21
This is going to feel very different than when your pack is actually loaded with gear. If your goal is general training, sure. If your goal is to be better prepared to backpack significant distances, probably not.

28-Feb-21
Yeah right now general training stuff

This shouldn’t mess with my pack right?

28-Feb-21
All I can say for certainty is doing that with a Kifaru pack won’t hurt it at all. Yours, I can’t testify too. I wouldn’t say that but, I’ve bent internal framed packs several times in the past carrying workout loads and real meat loads. However, I’ve never bent or even budged my Kifaru’s doing the same stuff with them.

28-Feb-21
You should be fine bud, that's what I use every year to train with, I've had no issues to date at turning 66!

ElkNut

28-Feb-21
I did that for a while on the meat shelf of my stone glacier pack. I thought it would wear the pack out quicker so I bought an Atlas trainer and love it.

28-Feb-21
I don't think there's a better way to train for some long hard miles with a pack on than training some hills with a weighted pack on. Way to get after it!

28-Feb-21
A better load, as far as weight distribution, would be a sack of 30, 40, or 50 lbs of something in the pack.

28-Feb-21
A sack of corn works well. With smaller packs, I've used dumbbell weights as well, but usually use a couple or three smaller ones, and wrap them heavily in blankets and stuff the whole thing inside the pack.

28-Feb-21
Wonder how much a plastic trash bag filled with sand inside your backpack would weigh? I would think weight distribution and pressure on shoulder straps would be better. For sure less chance of weight coming loose.

28-Feb-21
Should work just fine. I’m more inclined to put weight inside my Timberline 2. Seriously looking at the atlas trainer from outdoorsmans. Can put all kinds of weight plates on that beast. It will take up to two 45 lb plates.

28-Feb-21
I used a plastic 5 Gal jerry can style jug. It allowed me to slowly increase the weight. It did cause me to have some balance issues at times but nothing too bad.

28-Feb-21
Don’t drop it on your toe !

28-Feb-21
I use a bag of water softer salt. I put an pillow case around the salt bag.

28-Feb-21
50lb bag of rock salt in a couple of contractor bags and taped up then placed in the pack with a couple of canvas drop cloths.

28-Feb-21
I carried water uphill to build my leg and back muscles, but I poured it out at the top to save my knees on the way back down.

28-Feb-21
You might consider using jugs of water. Cheap and easy to get. You can work up in weight in increments. But the reason I use water is to dump all or part of it when it comes time for steep downhill. The old knees just don't need all that downhill punishment. If yours do, then by all means, don't dump it out!

01-Mar-21
If you can, put the majority of the weight up high to simulate a well packed backpack.

01-Mar-21
I use bags of bird seed. My local Lowes carries bags in different sizes from 10 to 50 pounds so I can add weight throughout the summer. The bagged seed does settle to the bottom of the pack and I can distribute the weight evenly from top to bottom. I never had much luck getting dumbbells and disc weights to stay in place.

01-Mar-21
A sack of zomething I believe will be better for the pack as well as being more stable. I use a sack of play sand from Home Depot and tie it up in a contractor plastic bag so it doesnt leak into my pack. Once cinched dow, it doesnt move.

01-Mar-21
I use lead shot (used for reloading shotgun shells) so I can easily add weight...right now I'm at 30 lbs. and will work up in weight every other week.

01-Mar-21
As others have said I start with a bag of trager pellets, maybe 20# then move up to 40 lb dog food or sack of grain then 50#. Once you get in shape toss in a small bag of quick-rete.

01-Mar-21
I train 4X per week, with a lead brick in my pack. Treadmill walk/ run, on a steep grade.

Been using the same loaded pack for many years now, without issues.

01-Mar-21
I’m with you scoot. 50# is my max training weight. If I want a little more I add little stuff.

01-Mar-21
I’ve used 50# bags of corn and dog food. They tend to retain their shape and are relatively stable. One year I put beach sand in a contractor bag and used it. It was between 60 - 65# if I remember correctly, but tended to settle, putting the weight lower on my back, so I had to readjust it a couple of times a week.

01-Mar-21
Pyrannah, I will mention that I do strap the weights down on my Exo pack in similar fashion. The difference is the weights are sandwiched in between my frame & outside main bag. I also have a meatshelf that will contain the steel weights & two compression straps that secure the weight to the frame itself. With both the straps & meatshelf nothing moves at all. I do secure main bag over the strapped in weights so they are not seen. As needed I will add more steel weights in the main bag from 2.5 # to 10# as I feel the need so no need to mess with any weights secured to the frame! Works great & absolutely no shifting of any of the weights no matter where I put them. Works very well for me!

ElkNut

01-Mar-21
Thanks for all the comments

I have a 40# bag of pellets I may load in there, but it’s awfully bulky

Elknut, I was thinking about bloating the bag on top as well!

Thanks !

01-Mar-21
I have used weight lifting plates before. I found using a bag of corn or water softener salt worked better.

My go to routine is throw weight in a pack like you did and go up and down the steepest hill around over and over for an hour as fast as I can.

01-Mar-21
50# bale of pot.

01-Mar-21
The first thing I thought of was that plate falling out and snapping my achilles. Doh! I like the water softener salt idea.

01-Mar-21
I’ve used plates for a long time going back to when I was in the army. I like to use the bulky items now to simulate a full pack. You’ll get more stabilization muscle activation with 30# of bulky items than you will with 50% of plates...

A mixture of the heavy stuff for legs/glutes and bulky stuff for core strength seems to be good

01-Mar-21
Castle Oak. When you get to the top you can feed the birds and make it easier on the way down for you knees. Many birds with one pack.

01-Mar-21
That's going to put the wt far from your body and make your back hurt.

Just put sand bags inside your backpack.

02-Mar-21
I use to do plates like that but one day a strap broke and they fell off , I can't believe one of them didn't shatter my ankle!!

After that I went to water jugs inside my training pack!

I like your training attitude for sure Ben,

Robb

02-Mar-21
Besides just carrying weight, try the crazy Austrian mountaineer ChristIan Stangl training regime. I borrowed it before a couple big climbs in Nepal and it really had amazing results. It works your legs heart and lungs pretty well. Carry your pack also. When you go back to just carrying the pack weight it’s a breeze. Tie anything that will create drag to a Climbing harness or a Tree harness. Start with a small item and increase the size and weight. He of course is a strange bird. “He’s Austrian” but it’s a great technique. I know this sounds hard to believe but if you train this way long enough when you take it all off you will be able to run up grades you struggled with before. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TO8VOexhWeg

02-Mar-21
That dude is a badass!

02-Mar-21
If you are worried about the wear on the pack get a cheap frame pack from walmart, Cabelas or REI. that is what I did. For around a $100 you can get a decent external pack frame that is comfortable. They are heavier and more cumbersome than my hunting set up but hey it is just for training. It also keeps wear and tear down on my hunting set up and keeps me from getting my hunting set up even more sweat soaked than it already is from hutning.

02-Mar-21
I use bags of pallets that I use for my Traeger. They form to the pack and leave a wood smell in my pack. Then I use the pallets in my grill.

02-Mar-21
Switched it out to a 40# bag of pellets and sandwiched between frame and bag

Seems way better!

Thanks for the help y’all

Gonna start a new thread for pack fit... not sure it’s right

• Sitka Gear