midwest 20-Apr-21
JLeMieux 20-Apr-21
Jaquomo 20-Apr-21
hunt'n addict 20-Apr-21
midwest 20-Apr-21
Jethro 21-Apr-21
Cheesehead Mike 22-Apr-21
17-Apr-21
I’m looking for an app for my iPhone that will show property lines while using gps. Ideally I would like one that’s fairly easy to use. What would you recommend? Price??

17-Apr-21
OnX

17-Apr-21
OnX!

17-Apr-21
OnX easy to use, but be aware, the accuracy of all of them can be way off in some areas.

17-Apr-21
I have been very happy with OnX as well. I have used it in a number of states and have found it to be very accurate in my uses.

17-Apr-21
I’ve been using gaia

17-Apr-21
Onx is great. Yes it, and others, will be off, if the property data they pull in is off

17-Apr-21
I prefer Gaia gps over onyx.

17-Apr-21
They all use the same data. In one spot it may be exact. In another it might be more than a hundred feet off.

17-Apr-21
I prefer gaia over onX for everything BUT private/public. OnX showed some walk-in areas here in Iowa that gaia did not.

17-Apr-21
If you're only looking for property lines, use BaseMap. Download it free and you can do quite a bit with it. If you need the owners etc., then you can buy an inexpensive year subscription. If you need more, buy ONX subscription.

17-Apr-21
I use both Huntstand and OnX. Each has different strengths. Basically I use Huntstand for whitetails and OnX for western hunts. They both have great property owner lines and info. Good luck.

17-Apr-21
Well...I use Gaia. It shows private properties but it has one feature the others don't. When I hunt I want a GoTo feature. When I bring up a waypoint if I can't do a GoTo (as with my formerly used Garmin) or a GuideMe ( as with my current Gaia) it's a useless piece of crap, but that's maybe only me.

17-Apr-21
I've enjoyed using Basemap. $30 a year for the whole country's property lines with ownership. I haven't used the other, but can vouch for Basemap.

17-Apr-21
Gaia GPS (premium version). I use it practically daily.

17-Apr-21
I also use Hunt Stand and OnX i use Hunt Stand more. Because it was only like 25 for all 50 states. I think OnX is about 30 for one.

For those that use OnX as a gps. Can you mark a way point and it points you in the right direction with a count down on distance, like a gps. Ed

17-Apr-21
Same as Charlie

17-Apr-21
OnX has a "Go To" function with distance. Click on the waypoint, select ""Go to waypoint".

17-Apr-21
Wondering about a pointer or something, so if ur walking in the wrong direction you know right away. OnX I only have a line.

17-Apr-21
Huntstand also has the Goto option with distance. I use it to find stands at friends places even in the dark that I’ve never been to before.

Ex: If I go to a friends property he can allow me access to his stands transferred to my app and then I can navigate to any stand by following the blue dot (me) and or using the goto option.

17-Apr-21
Charlie, dam if i can find that on hintstand.

20-Apr-21
I've used OnX a lot for elk and whitetail hunting. One thing I do not like is trying to navigate with OnX in the dark to a remote tree stand, spike camp or specific spot on the mountain. I wish OnX had a "go-to" feature that gave a heading in degrees as well as the distance like my Garmin GPS has.

I want to be able to sneak into a tree stand in the dark in the morning and not stumble around looking for it. When I use OnX it's not as precise and I sometimes have a hard time getting exactly to the tree. My Garmin GPS is more precise and allows me to find the tree easier. Therefore I usually use my Garmin to navigate to remote tree stands.

When I'm navigating in the dark I prefer to get a heading to my waypoint and then use my compass and pick out a specific star in the sky, a mountain peak on the horizon, a tall tree, etc that lines up with the heading to my waypoint and then walk toward that star, peak, tree etc and occasionally check my progress along the way. I hate, and refuse to stumble along through the woods or up/down the mountain staring at my phone screen and trying to stay on course. I hate the little directional bug on OnX that is supposed to point you toward your waypoint but instead jumps all over the place if you're not moving fast enough or if your satellite reception is not the best. I don't understand why OnX doesn't add a direction in degrees. Apparently there must not be much demand for it but in my opinion it makes navigation much easier. For that reason I doubt that I will ever stop using my Garmin GPS. The inconvenience is that means I have to carry both but I guess it's good to have a backup anyway.

20-Apr-21

midwest's embedded Photo
midwest's embedded Photo
midwest's embedded Photo
midwest's embedded Photo
Mike, Gaia gives you heading and distance. Also, no double clicking to show your direction and then have it disappear every time you touch the screen to zoom in or out. Gaia shows your position with a directional pointer and has a live compass.

20-Apr-21
I agree Mike. I wasn't a fan of navigating in the dark with OnX. I normally use my Garmin for that as well. Last year I forgot my Garmin at home one weekend and I did the same with the compass. I would see how far and what direction I needed to go and then use the compass while periodically checking the phone.

20-Apr-21
Property lines are not synched with satellite maps in my area on any of the apps, because our large county database is off. My house is shown to be half on my neighbor's property. My cabin is shown to be 120 feet into public land, whether GAIA, OnX, or DIY Hunting chip on the GPS. I wouldn't trust it in an argument with a property owner over trespassing, that's for sure.

20-Apr-21

hunt'n addict's embedded Photo
hunt'n addict's embedded Photo
I use OnX to guide me to waypoints. If you touch the lower right icon below the "3D" icon about 3 times, then the blue dot "your position" will have a blue "funnel" like thing. As you rotate your phone it will indicate the direction you are facing. Use this along with the "Go to Waypoint" feature, then it works well for navigation.

20-Apr-21
But then as soon as you touch your screen to zoom in or out, it reverts back to standard orientation. So annoying. Gaia just always shows the arrow oriented which direction you are facing, always shows the compass heading, and clicking "Guide Me" on a way point will give you a heading and distance. So much more powerful for a third of the price.

21-Apr-21
I have Gaia and OnX and like them both. Without question though, the blue circle and the blue headlight fan that OnX uses as a directional symbol would be greatly improved by making it an arrow that always points where your phone is pointed.

For navigation to a precise spot such as a tree stand location or where I left my pack, my hand held Garmin is much more accurate than either Gaia or OnX on my phone.

22-Apr-21
Glad to see others agree with me. Now if OnX would just listen...

• Sitka Gear