wildwilderness 05-Aug-21
Shaft 05-Aug-21
JohnMC 05-Aug-21
Keith 05-Aug-21
wyobullshooter 05-Aug-21
t-roy 05-Aug-21
02-Aug-21

Shaft's Link
A number of years back I used to teach Bowhunter Ed. At that time is was a little more involved then what it has become today. Anyhow, in our attempt to liven up the class we created a Character named Bo and introduced him with a short video. See the link below. After that we would go through the shoot no shoot portion of the class and of course, who would walk through the door but Bo. Bo would sit at the back and make fun of the instructors comments and have a jab or two at the class participants and their ethical choices. Mind you I hear some of his comments in the voices of others on here all the time. (wink) All in good fun until the instructor would ask Bo to leave or trick him into leaving in some way or another. It was fun and for the rest of the sessions Bo's name always came up. He was quite educational. Anyhow, I thought it might be fun to introduce you to Bo and then ask if you know anyone that is like Bo in your Bow hunting circles.

02-Aug-21
I thought this was something to do with Bo Jackson. The video was funny though as long as the context was known.

02-Aug-21
Sorry, but I couldn’t watch it all. After the cascade of stupid shots from desperate dumbasses I have had enough. If that is any indication of the general level of skill it’s a wonder that bowhunting is legal.

02-Aug-21
That's the whole point drycreek. Bo represents lazy or no ethics. The comments that Bo makes after the videos might sound like a few guys you know or hunt with. That is the question. Do you hunt with guys that lack ethics? We can all get on our high horse and say "no!" but I am willing to bet that you have been around a few folks that you like being around but their shortfall is desperation as you put it and have fallen short. Perhaps you are that guy? Ethics is about setting standards for yourself before an opportunity presents itself. If you wait until the "moment of truth" you may find that desperation/overconfidence/hope or whatever ambition driving you may cloud your decision making. Yes Buckeye, context is everything with Bo. He is way out there on the ethics scale and is sarcastically meant to be that way. Do you know anyone that tips towards Bo's end of the ethic scale?

02-Aug-21
I think most of us have had a few "Bo" moments. For me, it comes down to whether a hunter recognizes and learns from those moments, or does he continue to make the same mistakes hoping for a different outcome.

Matt

02-Aug-21
Just to be clear, I understand the point but the unethical and downright stupid shots were real. I can’t stomach that. I gave up bowhunting two years ago because I don’t trust myself to make an ethical shot. I thought long and hard before selling my stuff, but the animals we hunt deserve to be taken cleanly and with as little pain as possible. As much as I hate hogs, I still try to drop them on the spot if I can.

02-Aug-21
Video is too hokey for my tastes. And I taught Bow Ed in CO for around 30 years.

02-Aug-21
A few years ago, I ran into a group of recurve hunters who were trying to track a wounded elk. Willing to help, I began asking questions about the shot scenario. Turns out all 4 of them were flock shooting at a herd from well over 100 yards away. When I questioned their ethics, one of them proudly proclaimed "at least I stuck one!!". Then he asked me how many I had "stuck" that day. I told him I don't try to "stick" them, I try to KILL them. Then I turned and walked away. Those are the "Bo" types that I can't tolerate.

Matt

02-Aug-21
Bo would have loved to get under your skin Kurt. It sounds like it's a good thing that you didn't meet him but I'll bet you know his cousin (wink). Thanks for teaching and bringing up multiple generations of bowhunters. 30 years is a wonderful accomplishment. Congratulations. Great example Grey Ghost, exactly what I was after. Dry Creek- Now you know why Bowhunter education ever came about. It was from the fear that ethics or lack thereof would or could lead to lost opportunity. Although it was specific to bowhunting, there is much that applies to all hunting situations. I'm sorry that you gave up bowhunting.

02-Aug-21
I taught NBEF, MBEP for about 15 years and have to admit I haven't seen this video. We had a library of similar actors but not the Bo character. It used to be a classroom and field day but alas it all went on-line.

Was it helpful ? In most cases I think so. However, always had someone who thought they knew better and in a few cases encountered my own students still doing stupid stuff I know we covered in class. In one case a guy took 2-3 shots way out of the recommended range. We tracked several of these wounded deer on that metro hunt. The buck he shot while it was running straight at him and hit in the spine (just above the tail) was the last straw. I was about 70 yds away (yeah he was shirt tailing me on a rub line) and couldn't believe he took the shot. Lucky for him I saw it bed down and we finished it off.

Dry creek not everyone is a unethical hunter. Many animals are taken with a bow that only travel a very short distance. The key is waiting for the right opportunity and not straying from proper body angle and staying within your own limitations on distance. If you find you can't do that at least you could film others, or help by being grounds crew. Thats what I enjoy-all aspects of the hunt with fellow archers.

04-Aug-21
If you believe animals should be taken cleanly that is great. Honestly, it is. I am not saying that sarcastically. Just realize that the animal that you don't kill bowhunting (assuming he doesn't die from another hunter) then gets to die due to starvation, disease, or coyotes, or wolves. Or in reality MOST LIKELY a combination of those. None of which are a pretty end. So if you think you're saving the animal a terrible death you are sorely mistaken.

We are engaged in the act of hunting. Not "execution out in the wild." When we are hunters we are hunters just like wolves, coyotes, owls and the rest of them. We take our place in the natural world as apex predator. The fact that our kills are usually clean I think strokes our ego but the animal is dying one way or the other. Now this is no rubber stamps on "kill em any and every way attitude" but sometimes I think even hunters get a little pulled to the left on what they are actually doing.

You are pursuing and killing an animal. If you believe they have "wants" then the animal doesn't "want" to die in the first place.

04-Aug-21
So true. Spin for others if one must but let’s be honest with ourselves. So well said!!!

Kind of like the “respect the animal by taking good photos or mounting it.” Newsflash……..He doesn’t care and since killing is the ultimate act of disrespect to a living thing let’s be real. If you want to respect it let it walk.

05-Aug-21

wildwilderness's embedded Photo
Bo Jackson football/baseball all star
wildwilderness's embedded Photo
Bo Jackson football/baseball all star
I do think it unfortunate you played off the popular Bo Jackson commercials and made an unethical character.

FYI Bo Jackson is a dedicated ethical bow hunter! That’s his main hobby if you read or watch his biography!

05-Aug-21
The name "Bo" was only chosen because "Bow" hunting. There wasn't any thought of Mr. Bo Jackson. Nor is there any reference to him whatsoever nor any commercials that Mr. Jackson may have participated in nor any parody to anything Mr. Jackson has ever participated in. I'm sorry that YOU made that loooooong stretch. There was absolutely no spin off of anything that he has ever done. The "Bo" in the clip is his own character and the only pattern for him was his arrogant care-less, selfish, and unethical behavior. So as YOU have stated that would, I'm sure be totally opposite of Mr. Bo Jackson. I really am sorry that YOU made that inference based only on a name. When this was made I don't think anyone even knew Mr. Jackson was a bowhunter. Sorry "wildwilerness" but no connection, sarcasm towards Mr. Jackson, making fun of, etc. etc. whatsoever. The "Bo" character in the video could really have any name including yours or mine. Maybe we should have named him "wildwilderness" or "shaft" -wink-

05-Aug-21
It not just the name "Bo" it when you put "Bo knows" first thing I thought as well. Anyone that grew up in the age of Bo Jackson remembers the Bo knows commercials, they were a big deal in the late 80's or early 90's. Hard to believe that is only a coincidence.

05-Aug-21
I made the connection to Bo Jackson, too. "Bo knows" may even be a copyright infraction.

05-Aug-21
I can’t imagine anyone that was around in the ‘80’s NOT making the connection to Bo Jackson anytime they hear or see the phrase “Bo knows”.

05-Aug-21
^^^^This.

There was/is even a lawsuit concerning copyright infringement of the “Bo Knows” slogan, between Nike and the photographer that was involved with that add campaign, back in the day.,

There were some really good commercials involved with that add campaign, too, IMO!

• Sitka Gear