Ron Niziolek 20-Oct-21
IdyllwildArcher 20-Oct-21
JL 20-Oct-21
midwest 20-Oct-21
Brian M. 20-Oct-21
Whocares 20-Oct-21
Cazador 20-Oct-21
16-Oct-21
Cheer on Nick Daedlow (Midwest) as he brings it home in the Mines of Spain. He is running his first 100 mile race. He started running at 8 am yesterday. At current tracking, I am guessing he should finish in 24-25 hours. After today, he shall be known as “Big Balls.” You can smell the finish Nick!

16-Oct-21
Good luck Nick! I know you have trained hard enough to to not need luck, but a little always helps. Hopefully you are near the finish line by now!!!

16-Oct-21
Is he running 100 miles on purpose lol? Dang, I couldn’t do that for $1 million. Big balls is an understatement!

16-Oct-21
Get em Nick

16-Oct-21
Wow!! Good luck to Nick.

16-Oct-21
Hopefully he won’t be called “Big Balls” till AFTER he finishes! Pretty amazing feat, Nick! Best of luck, buddy!

He will probably just run those blacktails down, in Kodiak…

16-Oct-21
00 Miles 100 Kilometers October 15-16, 2021 Dubuque, Iowa

Welcome to the Mines of Spain 100! This is a true Midwest trail race set in the beautiful bluffs, prairies and forests of the driftless region of eastern Iowa amongst the scenic setting of the Mississippi river valley! The race is held on a ~20 mile course comprised of a wide variety of terrain that will both challenge and inspire runners with its eclectic mixture of steep technical single track, wide rolling dirt and prairie double track with a multitude of other fun and scenic sections mixed in! This is a course designed to be equally suitable for first timers or veterans alike.

Our mission is to provide an ultra-marathon event that is grassroots in feel yet meticulously organized with every effort being made to provide the most rewarding experience for the runners, their crews, race volunteers and every single person involved. Our continued year-round goal is to support the area trail organizations and groups that oversee the Mines of Spain in whatever capacity we can including a substantial financial contribution from the race proceeds going directly to the park to aid in funding for future trail maintenance and projects.

Thank you and we hope to see you at the Mines in October!

Joshua Sun – Race Director

16-Oct-21
Good luck Nick and congrats for even having the "stones" to enter this race! Heck, I don't even like driving 100 miles.

16-Oct-21
scott snell's thoughts: I had a hard time believing that the 2018 Mine of Spain was the inaugural year of the event. It was so well organized, ran so smoothly, and had such great support that it seemed like a trail race event that has been around for years and is well established. I think the race director, Joshua Sun, has created something really special here and I'm excited to watch it grow and develop into its full potential. I dare say that I believe it could become a premier trail race in the Midwest.

The course is mostly trail, but also mostly runnable. The event offers 100k and 100 mile distances on a 20 mile course. The course is a mix of loops and out and backs with plenty of well stocked aid stations along the way. The scenery is diverse and much more scenic than I was expecting for a 20 mile course in Iowa. Having grown up in Iowa only about an one hour drive from where the course is and having never visited the area, I was shocked by the crazy rock walls of the old quarry that the course takes you through. And if your expecting a flat 100 miler in Iowa, the 14,000 feet of gain at Mines of Spain will also surprise you. The swag was pretty generous in my opinion, with a High Desert drop bag, shirt, collapsible cup, sticker, finisher medallion, and the biggest 100 mile finisher buckle I've ever received shaped like the state of Iowa!

If you're in the Midwest and are looking for a fun, well organized 100 miler or 100k, I would highly recommend checking out the Mines of Spain.

16-Oct-21
Go Nick!

16-Oct-21
Is there a link where folks can follow along?

16-Oct-21
Very impressive and best of luck. What is a good time for this race? I use to love cross country running but can't imagine the endurance this race takes and that altitude.

16-Oct-21
JL

They have a Google Sheet that I have been watching.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/u/0/d/1Kg8lAvC-9CZqcVAIAoHdKLVw1n0gfY016UltQ1dLq-Y/htmlview#gid=1120204826

16-Oct-21
hawkeye. Winner finished in 19:10

Nick just finished at 25:46!

Awesome job, Big Balls! LOL!

16-Oct-21

16-Oct-21
That's awesome Nick, I wouldn't want to run those bluffs for a100 miles.

16-Oct-21
WhoooHoooo!!

There are boys and there are men and then there’s Big Balls Nick!

16-Oct-21
Go get em Nick!

16-Oct-21
Good for him. I run some but I really don’t think running 100 miles is a healthy thing to do. But to each his own.

16-Oct-21
Nick, wow, that's quite the feat sir, well done!

ElkNut

16-Oct-21
Man! they are all winners.

16-Oct-21
A huge congrats on a great accomplishment, Nick!!

16-Oct-21
Props to you, Nick! Impressive! Have a great race. Be safe.

16-Oct-21
Congrats man! I used to run 50's, considered and wanted to do a 100 but never had the balls to do it. Outstanding accomplishment!

16-Oct-21
Go nick go!! Wife and I just finished our 4th half marathon. And I can’t imagine doing 100

Huge congrats!

16-Oct-21
Very impressive for sure. My brother has run a handful of the mountain runs of 34 or somethin miles. Not sure whats wrong with him, gotta be something wrong. He wants to do a hundred miler… Hell, i drove about 65 miles this morning and i need a nap.

Congrats on the feat Midwest!

16-Oct-21
Running 100 miles without a posse chasing you ? What the hell ? Just kidding man, and you ARE THE MAN !

16-Oct-21
I could not imagine that. I ran my first 5k this am

16-Oct-21
I wonder… just what does a person do after running a 100 miles?

Drink a Busch Latte? Lol

16-Oct-21
I think I just saw Nick run by my place here in CO. Hope didn't get off track and is doing the Forrest Gump thing...

16-Oct-21
Good for him he’s an inspiration to us crippled folk… I can’t drive 100 miles without walking funny for hours…

16-Oct-21
Good. Should get him in shape for packin' out my elk someday......

wow. Pretty incredible. Think the same mindset applies.... but I think I'd rather eat an elephant....

Go get em buddy!!! got my pompoms around here somewhere......

16-Oct-21
I just drove about 100 mile and it wore me out! Good luck! That is not something many would even consider.

16-Oct-21
Congrats Nick, way to go. Heard you were running like Crystal was chasin ya the whole time.

16-Oct-21
Brad, I believe the beverage of choice was a Coors light! Way to go Nick! Unreal the amount of training and mental toughness needed to do this! Proud of you brother!

16-Oct-21
Insane. Guy could run down an elk

16-Oct-21
Get em Nick!

16-Oct-21
I can attests to this, back in the day, I ran two marathons, a few 1/2 marathons and a bunch of 10 Ks. -- a 100 miler is no joke and in 25 hours. That is like 4 -26 mile marathons, back to back. Great accomplishment. One has to be physically as well as mentality prepared to complete that. I know that Nick just can not wait to set quietly in a tree stand and wait for that buck to "run" past.

16-Oct-21
Reading the topic though I was going to see pix of Nick Muche running from or too an Alaskan bear...8^)

16-Oct-21
Congrats man!! Hell of an accomplishment!

16-Oct-21
Congratulations Big Balls!

16-Oct-21

EmbryOklahoma's embedded Photo
EmbryOklahoma's embedded Photo
“I wonder… just what does a person do after running a 100 miles?” You would be correct! :)

Nick is an animal!

16-Oct-21
Love it!

Great job!

Double glutton for punishment. 100 miles and Busch light.

16-Oct-21
Congrats on the little jog !

My knees would be screaming

16-Oct-21
Much respect!

16-Oct-21
Awesome accomplishment, congrats

16-Oct-21
Congrats on an amazing accomplishment! The lady that finished 12th....wow!

When Nick recovers enough to post......what was your starting weight and any idea of your ending weight? I would guess you lost in the neighborhood of 7% - 10% of your body weight??

16-Oct-21
Bad ass!

16-Oct-21
Way to go, Nick!

16-Oct-21
JL Some 100 milers have a mandatory weigh in and they weigh you on the course. If you lose x%, they will pull you off the course.

When I ran endurance, a rule of thumb was I would burn ~120 calories per mile. Your body has ~ 2500 calories of available fuel (w/o) eating.

100 miles would take 9500 extra calories.

EDIT The above numbers are for flat ground. For the amount of vertical, you would add an additional 1500-2k of calories.

And those numbers don’t account for hydration,,,, and vomiting.

16-Oct-21
Congrats Nick, you are an animal!

16-Oct-21

JohnMC's Link
Results

17-Oct-21

midwest's embedded Photo
Race director, Joshua Sun. One of the hardest working guys I know.
midwest's embedded Photo
Race director, Joshua Sun. One of the hardest working guys I know.
midwest's embedded Photo
My pacers Robert, Mikel, and Landon. Good dudes I've shared hundreds of miles with!
midwest's embedded Photo
My pacers Robert, Mikel, and Landon. Good dudes I've shared hundreds of miles with!
midwest's embedded Photo
My Crissy. Don't know why she puts up with my sh!t.
midwest's embedded Photo
My Crissy. Don't know why she puts up with my sh!t.
midwest's embedded Photo
A little post race snooze.
midwest's embedded Photo
A little post race snooze.
Thanks, guys! Do I have to change my handle now? At my age, "long balls" might be more appropriate. :-)

The goal was to get it in under 24 hrs. but the wheels started to fall off on the last loop. The last 5 miles were excruciating. You are allowed to have a pacer with you for the last 2 loops and I am lucky to have a few great friends that volunteered to stay up all night and split up the pacing duties for the final 40 miles. It gets real lonely out there on the course running through the night and your mind gets a little loopy.

Also lucky to have a girlfriend, Crystal, who understands my passions and supports me, always. Even when my training becomes like a part time job.

Hoping to be able to walk normal soon and not get anxiety looking at flight of stairs. Cheers!

17-Oct-21
Congratulations Sir and good luck on that walking soon.

17-Oct-21
Congrats Nick. On achieving your goal. Hours, days, weeks in prep all paid off.

17-Oct-21

17-Oct-21
Amazing to say the least!! Congrats!!!!

17-Oct-21
Beyond impressive. Big congrats on this accomplishment buddy!

17-Oct-21
Congrats sir! It’s amazing what a human can do when we put our minds to something.... then there’s guys like you ! You probably just run your elk down too. MinesofSpain or Milesofpain LOL. Great job !

17-Oct-21
hahaha...ND String Puller! Milesofpain.... I'm going to use that!

17-Oct-21
Great update! Congrats!

17-Oct-21
Congrats! 26 hours on a course with 14,000 feet of gain is solid!

17-Oct-21

Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
Here you go Nick. Take as many as needed.

17-Oct-21
Holy masochist, Batman!!

Very impressive. Congrats, Gumpy!! ;-)

Matt

17-Oct-21
You ran 100 miles for a Busch Light? Makes me wonder how far would you run for a beer.

That's very impressive, Nick. Congrats on earning such a rare accomplishment.

17-Oct-21
Badass accomplishment Nick! Incredibly strong work. Congrats!!!

17-Oct-21
"You ran 100 miles for a Busch Light? Makes me wonder how far would you run for a beer."

HAHAAA!! i thought the same.....

17-Oct-21
Great job. Crazy!!!

17-Oct-21
I didn't even know it was possible for a human to run 100 miles! Imagine the training required. Incredible accomplishment Midwest!

17-Oct-21
Simply amazing. You are the man Nick!

17-Oct-21
Midwest when you feel like it give us a brief run down on how prepared. What the longest run you did preparing? Also on the run it self. For example did you go non stop eating and drinking on the go or are there meal breaks where you sit down and eat. Any attending to feet along the way? Lastly you come up with any quotes that would make great T-shirts like Forest Gumps “Shit Happens” ;)

17-Oct-21
100 miles...I can't even imagine...

Congrats Nick! Quite an accomplishment!

17-Oct-21
Congrats Nick!

17-Oct-21
Congratulations As a fellow distance runner ( but not crazy enough to be an Ultra Distance Runner ) I really admire what you have accomplished Well done

17-Oct-21
Great job Nick!

18-Oct-21
Big congrats to John in MO / KY who recently finished his SECOND 100 miler!

Thinking about going through that twice made me throw up in my mouth a little bit.

18-Oct-21
Congrats, now let a few arrows fly…

18-Oct-21
I was a sprinter/hurdler in H.S. and College and never understood the distance runner mentality! I used to run some distance in the off/Pre season to get in shape, but never ran more than 13 miles in my life and that was about 10 miles more than I wanted to! ;-)

CONGRATS to you though! I can respect pushing your body and mind to achieve your goals................................

18-Oct-21
Wow! Congrats Nick! Inspirational for sure. Would second hearing a rundown of training and during run eating/drinking/resting comments.

18-Oct-21
Nick, what was your body weight at the finish line compared to the start of the race?

18-Oct-21
Crazy!! Congrats Nick that is one hell of an accomplishment!!

18-Oct-21
Damn, that's amazing Nick! I think "the Machine" would be a good handle for you!

18-Oct-21
You an an animal, dude! I cannot imagine. Congratulations!

18-Oct-21
Unbelievable. Awesome stuff nick.

18-Oct-21
That's awesome Nick !!!!

Congrats, Pete

18-Oct-21
Just amazing!! The mental and physical toughness to complete that is beyond my comprehension. You see me running then you know something very deadly is close behind;) My hats of to you sir!

18-Oct-21
Hell of an accomplishment! You’re a rare breed Nick. Were you running from anyone you owed money to?

18-Oct-21
"Would second hearing a rundown of training and during run eating/drinking/resting comments.".

I by no way want to take away from the man who this thread is about, so disregard if not interested (I did some long runs but never a 100). My longest training runs were at 38 miles. While racing I would eat while on the move. The trick for me was not making myself sick. Throwing up sucks when you can't stop. I often changed shoes and socks around mile 25. Fresh socks and shoes were the best thing in the world at that moment. For anything over a marathon my frame of mind was completely different. I approached a marathon with a racer mentality... go hard (I would never stop long enough in a marathon to change shoes). Ultra's were a survivalist mentality. It was kind of weird to be honest.

Having ran quite a bit I am completely amazed at this mans accomplishment! Once again, congrats!

18-Oct-21
That is CRAZY! Can't wrap my mind around the mental and physical toughness that would take. My 14yr old son idolizes people like you. He started running 8 months ago and is loving it.

18-Oct-21

midwest's embedded Photo
midwest's embedded Photo
midwest's embedded Photo
Aid Station. My pacer got a shot of Fireball here.
midwest's embedded Photo
Aid Station. My pacer got a shot of Fireball here.
midwest's embedded Photo
midwest's embedded Photo
midwest's embedded Photo
midwest's embedded Photo
I followed a 24 week training program from Zach Bitter. Basically 3 phases...building a strong base, speed work, then the long runs. Long runs were always on the weekend and at the peak of the program I would be doing like a 5 hr. trail run on Saturday followed by a 3 hr. run on Sunday. This is so you are training on tired legs but not so much you won't recover for the next weeks training. I also sprinkled in some other races through the training. Ran the Pikes Peak 50K in Colorado, late July and ran the Ice Age 50 mile in Wisconsin, mid September along with a couple other shorter trail races.

I adopted a strict low carb/high fat diet in the early stages of training. This, along with intermittent fasting helped me easily drop 20 lbs. in the first few months. I continued lifting all through the program focusing a lot on core strength.

Eating during the race is the wild card. You HAVE to consume calories but your tummy doesn't like to digest things when all that blood is being used to turn over the legs. Eat too much or the wrong thing and you get sick. Don't eat enough and you bonk. I think my biggest failure was not developing a solid race nutrition strategy. I came close to getting sick a couple times and started to fade bad when I didn't eat enough. Tried to keep a few pretzels or grapes in my vest to munch on in between aid stations.

The aid stations are full of all kinds of different foods. Salty, sweet, everything imaginable. They are also very seductive. Especially during the nighttime hours. Like this oasis of fun people, a warm fire, lots of food. I would get in and get out. Eat while walking down the trail. Relentless. Forward. Progress. Never sat down except to take a rock out of my shoe once. Some stay too long. Sit by the fire, get comfy and warm, then DNF.

19-Oct-21
Thanks for the update and story. Beautiful pics. What an accomplishment! Can you go down stairs yet?

19-Oct-21
Legs feel great tonight, Jason. Still pretty swollen but no pain. Went to the gym tonight. Felt good to lift.

20-Oct-21

BULELK1's Link
Very kool Nick!!

I remember you and the Boston Marathon a few years back

You Da Man,

Robb

20-Oct-21
Nick, you're a true badass. I am in awe of the effort and discipline this required you to have. Well done!

20-Oct-21
Grats you crazy SOB

20-Oct-21
Nick....do the runners in these type of ultra races have to sign some type of medical liability waiver?

20-Oct-21
Pretty sure almost every race, regardless of distance, has a waiver and release of liability you have to sign.

20-Oct-21
I could do that. By my estimation, it would take just under four months. Congrats Nick, you crazy so-n-so.

20-Oct-21
I was a distance runner in high school and college - but what Nick did wasn't distance, it was insanity! Congrats on your grit and fitness!

20-Oct-21
Way to go Nick, impressive just doesn't seem adequate.

• Sitka Gear