keepemsharp 22-Jan-22
Lawdog 22-Jan-22
Ziek 22-Jan-22
70lbDraw 23-Jan-22
dnovo 23-Jan-22
Beendare 23-Jan-22
DiRTY MiKE 23-Jan-22
21-Jan-22
Up until recently, I would lug my heavy old Ruger SR9 around the woods in a basic Uncle Mikes hip holster. I was never really comfortable with it for that purpose, because it is heavy and I feel like I’m always checking to see if it’s still there. I’m obviously not exactly confident with it, if I’m constantly thinking about it. I recently found a pistol that will suit my needs, it’s a revolver, so there’s a little bit of bulk, but weighs a 10th of my SR9. Now I want a IWB holster that I will be happy with. I don’t know how many times I’ve been to Cabelas, Sportsman’s, etc. to be disappointed at the selection after an hour of shuffling through the dense undergrowth of thousands of different holsters! Now, I realize I need to go custom, and order one online. There in lies the rub… literally. There are many to choose from. But I look at it like buying a pair of hunting boots. I want to try them on, walk in them, etc. with the way the supply chain is these days, I’m having a hard time with the concept of ordering a custom built one, or just purchasing multiple options online, waiting for them to arrive, only to be disappointed and returning them. This one needs to be comfortable and secure during hunts, hikes, or riding. I’m almost afraid to order any for fear of a long drawn out process until I hit the jackpot!

Is it just me? Or is that the normal procedure these days? This is making me start to feel my true age. Lol! I could really use some help getting over this fence. Can y’all educate me a tad bit?

I tried to search the subject in case this has been discussed, but I’m challenged when it come to BS search tools! I apologize if this horse has previously experienced a relentless ass-whoopin!

21-Jan-22
Well, why do you want an IWB holster for hunts, hikes etc? With a revolver, that would be pretty uncomfortable. I don't know anyone who uses an IWB for a revolver. I carry my little S&W M&P .357 in a small holster that attaches to the waist belt of my pack. Don't even know it's there. I wear the same pack when hiking, mountain biking, etc. An IWB would rub me raw. Now for my Beretta Pico .380, different story. Good luck!

21-Jan-22
Same here. S&W Bodyguard .380 is fine in a simple IWB but I can't tolerate a revolver IWB.

Urban Carry Lock Leather are nice.

21-Jan-22
Vedder or a black rhino OWB holster work great. Have a chino for my glock and it's comfortable, secure and works great. If you want a leather holster look at the cyclone by galco, have one for my N frame, crossdraw or strong side.

21-Jan-22
Revolvers need to be carried OWB either in leather or Kydex. If they are big revolvers, chest or bandolier is probably better. I prefer leather for OWB and there are many good makers. Be warned though, when you start carrying you will more than likely buy several holsters before you wind up with one you truly like. Looks like you are already familiar with that since you found out that generic nylon holstars suck. Good luck !

21-Jan-22
Kydex OWB holster. Only way to roll

21-Jan-22

Glunt@work's embedded Photo
Glunt@work's embedded Photo
On a whim I bought an OWB for my G3C off ebay from a small maker I had zero experience with.

Simple, good retention and appears decently made. As an aside, the Taurus G3C is a pretty amazing value for a striker fire mid compact with 3, 12 rd mags under $300.

21-Jan-22
I carry my g20 in a gunfighters inc chest holster and it fits very comfortably just below my bino harness. Zero issue drawing pistol and it does not get in the way of my binos at all.

21-Jan-22
I do the same as jag. I use a uncle mikes nylons holster for my little 357 mag with a 3 “ barrel. I attach that holster to my Kifaru pack belt with a Molle webbing adapter made by jimmy tarps.

No IWB carry for me.

22-Jan-22
I use Uncle Mike's nylon holsters for my Walther 22 and my 9 MM and my Ruger 357 mag revolvers. Have Ruger 357 Stainless Steel with 2", 3" and 4 " barrels. Have a S&W with 6" barrel. You can reverse the clip on the holsters to carry it on either side, inside our outside. I carry mine on the left side. The new leather holster may be fine but the old ones would rust a blued gun due to the chemicals used for tanning the leather. "

22-Jan-22
only shoulder holsters for me, there are some nice affordable ones available

22-Jan-22
My go-to day hunting pack is an ALPS TraverseX. They thoughtfully built it with a handy nylon strap outside the padded waist belt, and an Uncle Mike's holster clip fits it perfectly, between the strap and the belt itself. Safe, secure, never even know the revolver is there. It's a great feature that all pack manufacturers should incorporate.

22-Jan-22
Jaq’s opening line in his first post about sums up my experience with this! I didn’t think about the width of a revolver. It also seems that revolvers aren’t that popular these days as it’s hard to even find a crappy holster for it. Most of my life I never felt the need to carry in the woods, or anywhere else for that matter. It just wasn’t on my radar back then. I now live in a state that I’m not very familiar with. At least, as far as terrain and the dangerous critters go. Being that we’re so close to CA, I’m often stumbling across “permanent” campsites and lean-to’s, where the occupants are obviously not out for camp weekend with the family.

A few people have mentioned a shoulder carry. That seems as though it might cumbersome. It’ll be like the fire extinguisher in the kitchen. Probably won’t need it, but it’s there if I do. I spent some time chatting with a couple of firearms vendors today, and it’s starting to look like it’s just a trial and error type venture. I’m just going to have to suck it up, and start placing orders!

I appreciate any other pointers. It’s amazing how quickly things get away from you if you don’t keep up with the latest improvements!

22-Jan-22
In my advanced age inside the waist band will not work. Maybe I should loose weight? I prefer a wheel gun at about 10:00 o'clock, seems to me to be as fast and secure as any other position. Easy to acquire sitting down or with less movement from the right arm? And does not get in the way getting in and out of vehicle.

22-Jan-22
My go to hunting/hiking pack is a Badlands Superday. Each side has a built in holster. It's a little far back for me so I use an Uncle Mike clip on so I can get it farther forward. Usually, I carry a full size 1911, and I carry my Ruger Old Army for black powder. I have a shoulder holster for the Old Army too that I'll use when I want it on me at all times. Same with the 1911, but that is an OWB. I will use IWB for smaller pistols like my Glock 36 or my CZ 9mm Rami. I have an IWB for my Glock 30, but I don't like it. The 30 is too wide. I seem to have a box of holsters! Just depends on the application. Check out High Noon Holsters. Good quality at reasonable prices. Often, they have some you can just buy off the shelf. If you order custom, turn around is fairly quick-couple of weeks.

22-Jan-22
No-one mentioned Blade-Tech holsters. They make quality holsters for most guns, and most carry options. Like most, I probably wouldn't use an IWB for a wheel gun, but I use one for EDC for my H&K .40 USP Compact. On a pack, I use different holsters for different packs and depending on what I'm carrying. But typically, I want something that secures and protects the weapon - a flap, or at least a strap. I can't imagine anything under the pack waist band would be comfortable, and on the waist band, you just aren't as aware if it's there or not. I once lost a Ruger .44 Redhawk (ported, lapped, & custom grips) in a custom leather flap holster, that came off the pack waist band strap in an Alaska swamp. I knew I had it within 100 yards of where I realized it was gone, but couldn't find it.

23-Jan-22
“No-one mentioned Blade-Tech holsters.”

Good point Ziek! Ironically enough, one of the Cabelas associates mentions them quite often. I’m definitely going to give it a gander!

23-Jan-22
I carried a S&W 460 in a shoulder holster in a backpack hunt in wilderness area a few years back. This gun weighs 4 1/2 pounds. It carried very easily even with a full pack on and was easily accessible

23-Jan-22
Yeah I can’t imagine carrying a steel frame revolver around IWB on a hunt.

A small semi auto in one of those IWB hybrid holsters for CC is the way to go, IMO. Hybrid is kydex on the outside and leather on the side against your body.

23-Jan-22

DiRTY MiKE 's embedded Photo
DiRTY MiKE 's embedded Photo
When I carry iwb I use this with a s&w shield.

On Amazon

• Sitka Gear