boothill 05-Oct-22
KSbuzzcut 05-Oct-22
Zbone 06-Oct-22
boothill 07-Oct-22
Mule Power 07-Oct-22
rickepanton 08-Apr-24
Mint 08-Apr-24
03-Oct-22
For those who make deer summer sausage, do you use the encapsulated citric acid? Some videos seem adamant that it is needed and some never mention the stuff. I can't seem to find enough info one way or another to decide whether to use it or not. Any info is appreciated.

03-Oct-22
Check out the meatgistics series on waltons.com

03-Oct-22
Is that what’s called ‘the cure’ ?

03-Oct-22
I've made a lot of summer sausage, but I always have used a commercial sausage mix. (P&S seasoning mostly) I've had very good luck with them and my pellet grille. I had to look up the stuff you are referring to. Maybe someone with more knowledge about that ingredient will reply with a better answer.

03-Oct-22
I don't use it. Just pink salt (#2). Plus seasonings. Last batch of 10 lbs lasted a week...

03-Oct-22
No, I use Morton’s Tender Quick in my recipe. Everyone that has tried it loves it.

04-Oct-22
No, encapsulated citric acid is only used to give the meat that “tang” flavor associated with dry cured summer sausage. I tried it once and don’t care for it all. I’ve made thousands of pounds of summer sausage without it. Be sure to use some kind of curing salt whether it’s sodium nitrate, celery powder, or cherry powder. The celery and cherry powder will change to sodium nitrate during the cooking process.

04-Oct-22
2nd on the Mortons

04-Oct-22
I like the "tang" and use it in all of my sticks and sausage.

04-Oct-22
I have made summer sausage both with and without incapsulated citric acid and can say I preferred the taste with it included

05-Oct-22
I've used Hi Mountain Summer Sausage and casings for many years and they come with the seasoning and cure packets in the kit. The last 2 batches I've done the meat has stuck to the casing and I've never had issue in the past. I contacted HI Mountain and they said too much fat in the meat. Has anyone else had issues with meat sticking to the casings? The processor added some fat to the grind but can't imagine that being an issue.

05-Oct-22
The only time I've had meat stick to the casing is because I didn't stick it in an ice bath after it reached the internal temperature I was going for. It will continue cooking after you pull it from the smoker so the ice bath stops that and "sets" the casing. I've heard of people using up to 30-40% fat in summer sausage and not having any casing issues. I like a 20% fat ratio

06-Oct-22
Curious, how long will homemade keep, refrigerated, or unrefrigerated?... Thanks

07-Oct-22
KSbuzzcut, I normally do throw in a sink of cold water but I think the last time I put on a tray and stuck in fridge instead. That may of been the problem so will try and make sure I don't overcook on temp and put in cold water as soon as I pull it out of smoker. Thanks for the info and I probably created my own issue and didn't know it.

07-Oct-22
Scoot… lmao!

08-Apr-24
Some enthusiasts swear by it, claiming it enhances the tangy flavor and improves the texture. Others, however, find that they can achieve similar results without it. If you're unsure whether to use encapsulated citric acid, why not try making two batches—one with it and one without—and see which you prefer? It's all about finding what works best for your taste buds and your recipe. Additionally, if you're looking to add a unique twist to your sausage, you can try to buy celery powder. Not only does it add a subtle flavor, but it also has natural preserving properties that can help extend the shelf life of your sausage.

08-Apr-24
You only need it if you want to start the smoking process right after stuffing instead of letting the meat sit after mixing for the cure to set.

• Sitka Gear