Charlie Rehor 05-Oct-22
BOHNTR 05-Oct-22
No Mercy 05-Oct-22
Matt 05-Oct-22
wildwilderness 06-Oct-22
No Mercy 06-Oct-22
05-Oct-22

wildwilderness's Link
I see on Boone and Crockett website a precise clear description of the Boundaries for Various Categories for the record book. Very nice

Why is P&Y not providing this info? I know there are differences between B&C and P&Y boundaries so they can’t default to the other….

My interactions with P&Y have usually been less then expected, and relatively uninformative (other than a few quality Bowsiters affiliated). And at times condescending….

https://www.boone-crockett.org/category-boundaries-big-game-records

05-Oct-22

wildwilderness's embedded Photo
wildwilderness's embedded Photo
This is what I can find that does NOT correlated with I have been told by P&Y in the past about discrepancies

I know B&C and P&Y have differences on at least ram couple species. Bison is one, and Central Barren Ground Caribou another

Part of my frustration is in the past they would NOT give a straight answer if a specific hunt area or geographic area was acceptable. This was from Eli? Who died of Covid? Specifically Bison it was not clear and was dismissive saying you could always submit stuff on a cases by case basis……

That is ridiculous since I want to know before I put in for a hunt (draw, lottery etc) or pay to book a hunt, said area and animals would qualify for P&Y!!!

They failed to reco

05-Oct-22

No Mercy's embedded Photo
Here you go

05-Oct-22
I would concur that Pope and Young should provide a very clear delineation and mapping for the boundaries. Boone and Crockett is very clear and easy to find. Even if P&Y just referred to the B&C map and information with a description of any differences, it would help clear it up.

05-Oct-22
I agree. I have a measurers manual so I've never looked on the website for the info. It should definitely be on there.

05-Oct-22
wildwilderness:

There are actually no BOUNDARY differences between the two Clubs. However, there are two differences on what each Club will accept into their respective records program from within those regions/boundaries documented in the 2021 joint P&Y/B&C official measurers manual. Those two differences are Central Canada Barren Ground Caribou and Bison. The caribou difference is that P&Y will ACCEPT caribou from Greenland as CCBGC. B&C will not. Bison is a bit more restrictive for P&Y inclusion based on Fair Chase issues, determined by the records committee. If you look at that section (See Jason’s post above), it clearly states where each respective club will accept Bison from. These are the only specie acceptance differences (other than walrus and Jaguar).

You are correct, as the updated wording of species boundaries is not on the new P&Y website, rather it is referred to the official measuring manual. (I didn’t realize that either) I will ask the Executive Director to see what it would take to have our boundary descriptions listed on our website for easier reference. Hopefully it’s something that’s not too labor/cost intensive and an easy update. Hope it helps.

Roy Grace P&Y Records Chairman

05-Oct-22
Roy, thanks and hope it gets put on the web.

A few years ago, in pursuit of a Mt Caribou was talking to various outfitters at a convention. One outfitter out of the Yukon answered my question of what species of caribou he had with “well what species do you want it to be called”.

05-Oct-22
Glad Roy was able to be clear, I almost posted the only differences I knew of were Greenland caribou and bison. The bison is such a gray area on acceptable herds, I wonder if the club is open for inquiries prior to the hunt as Phil eludes to so those wondering would know prior to booking a hunt outside of the preapproved herds. As with any club, stuff falls through the cracks at times and not everyone gets the exact answer they are looking for. Glad that those I know in the club respond fairly quickly to my questions.

05-Oct-22

Treeline's Link
The B&C guidance is really well done.

I think P&Y could piggyback/add a link or add the B&C information on P&Y website.

Both clubs are in much greater alignment than in years past. With just a little editing, this could cover both club’s positions for acceptance of species. Definitely worth doing…

05-Oct-22
Just shoot small stuff and you don't have to worry about boundaries. :)

05-Oct-22
HaHa, I shoot small stuff all the time.

I appreciate the responses from the alluded to Bowsiters affiliated with P&Y that helped answer the questions.

Yes I did mention CCBG and Bison. I am still mission Bison thus my interest!

"No Mercy" could you include figure 2-N?

05-Oct-22
Bison - Has there been any official changes to acceptable herds?

05-Oct-22
Yes, There’s a herd of 12 in Connecticut that issues one tag each year and this years winner will be doing a live hunt on the Connecticut forum. It’s rumored that one could surpass minimum.

05-Oct-22
What is listed in the manual (on mercy’s post) is what will be accepted by P&Y.

05-Oct-22

It's the same as what is on the BC site....

05-Oct-22
“ Yes, There’s a herd of 12 in Connecticut that issues one tag each year and this years winner will be doing a live hunt on the Connecticut forum. It’s rumored that one could surpass minimum.”

Whether it makes book or not it would still be a record - the first CT forum live hunt that resulted in a kill.

06-Oct-22
No Mercy- B&C and P&Y do not concur completely on Bison-

As Roy pointed out P&Y EXCLUDEs a few herds that B&C accepts.

In the past my question was in respect to the Utah Book Cliffs hunt, which I see has been officially resolved in the scorers manual to be accepted.

I do wish P&Y would have this info readily accessible online, heck I would even make a donation if they need some $ to update it .

06-Oct-22
WW-I know that. I am an official measurer for both. That is the only illustration in the book. I do think Roy is working on updating the PY site.

• Sitka Gear