orionsbrother 02-Apr-23
Boreal 02-Apr-23
Grey Ghost 02-Apr-23
Beav 02-Apr-23
Grey Ghost 02-Apr-23
29-Mar-23

Beav's embedded Photo
Beav's embedded Photo
Spring turkey is always one of my favorites but this year I looked even more forward to it after a long winter and lots of snow. otcwill made the trip to the cabin and joined myself, and a few friends. We started off the day before opening day doing a little shed hunting. We didn't find the big one we were looking for, but we did find several. Then a cold beer on the deck! Great start to the trip.

29-Mar-23
This is gonna be good!

29-Mar-23
Beav posts are always good!

29-Mar-23
Looking forward to this

29-Mar-23

Beav's embedded Photo
Beav's embedded Photo
Opening morning we were up early and set up not far from some roosted birds. They hit the ground gobbling and strutting but soon were running and flying all over. A coyote was chasing them and jumping in the air trying to get them. They went quiet for an hour or so but then a gobble let us know they were getting close. The flock of 25 came through the trees and as soon as they saw the decoys the jakes came running in. We figured the 6 bog toms would follow but they were not as fired up. Finally, one big tom made it to the set and Will connected on our first bird of the hunt!

29-Mar-23
already looks like a successful trip!

29-Mar-23
The jakes continued to sit in our decoys but we couldn't coax any of the other toms on our way. The flock eventually headed back the way they came and didn't appear to be too disturbed. Onto the next spot!

29-Mar-23

Beav's embedded Photo
Beav's embedded Photo
We find two fresh tom tracks all by themselves and I believe they are close as the tracks are super fresh. We put up the blind and decoys and let out a yelp and get a response immediately. Five minutes later two red heads pop through the grass at 40 yards. Both birds are in full strut and in no hurry. They gobble at every yelp, and we know they are committed. At 6 yards they walk into my window and are face to face with the decoy. I put a perfect arrow in one and he flops ten yards and is dead. My buddy Bryce and I switch spots as the other bird stands and pecks on my dead one. Bryce sends one warning shot that severs feathers but that's it. Next arrow the bird flops five yards and piles up! Holy crap! First morning and we are done for the day as the new law only allows to harvest one bird per day.

29-Mar-23

Beav's embedded Photo
Beav's embedded Photo
We pull Will's bird out of the pickup and take a pic with all three of us!

29-Mar-23

Beav's embedded Photo
Beav's embedded Photo
We hang at the cabin and drink some whiskey and beers and play darts and watch some basketball! Great way to spend the rest of the day!

29-Mar-23
Looks like some great success! Do you have any pic's of the decoy set up? Congrats!

29-Mar-23

Beav's embedded Photo
Beav's embedded Photo
Will and I win the dart tournament that night and celebrate a great day with friends doing what we love! Morning would come too early!

29-Mar-23
I think I know where most of the 10,000 NR's tag end up! Looks like a fun trip.

29-Mar-23
Awesome! Love that shot of the cabin with the birds hanging...that is a work of art !!

29-Mar-23

Beav's embedded Photo
Beav's embedded Photo
We setup close to a flock of nearly 20 birds and there are two toms in the group. We eventually get one hen fired up and soon she is headed our way with a jake and one of the toms. They come straight in, and Will draws his bow. Then he hold and holds and holds some more. The jake is blocking a clean shot at the tom. Just as I say "do you want to let down?" Wack!! The tom doesn't flinch, and the arrow looks perfect. I say "shoot him again." Just then he staggers 10 feet and tips over!!

29-Mar-23

Beav's embedded Photo
Beav's embedded Photo
Will is tagged out and it is a great start to another day. We never were able to pull the other tom in so we move on. We find another good flock with 3-4 toms and sneak in and get setup. One yelp and the flock is fired up. They yelp and gobble but don't move for an hour. They are just over a small rise, and we know they are close. Finally, a big tom peaks over the ridge and here he comes. He walks around a big cedar at 32 yards and sees the decoys but doesn't like something. He struts back the way he came and joins the flock. We see them for the next 20 minutes at 40-50 yards, but nothing comes close. They eventually feed off and we sneak out of there to go watch the Creighton game.

29-Mar-23
After the game we go back after a huge tom we found that morning. We find the flock and sneak in and get setup. They feed our way and things look perfect! They come right in, but it is only the hens and three jakes. The tom is nowhere to be seen. Bryce eventually decides to shoot a jake but just then they turn to leave, and our opportunity has passed. As we load up to leave we spook the big tom and two jakes that were behind us 100 yards. Damn! Bryce has to leave but two of our buddies call and are meeting us at the cabin.

29-Mar-23

Beav's embedded Photo
Beav's embedded Photo
We have a great time that night and the next morning we head to a different area. We find a big flock with several toms, and we make a plan. We all setup in one blind and watch the birds. They act like they are coming a couple of times but then head the other way. We decide that Will and I will take the other blind and get west of them in case they go that way. We spend all fricken day working these birds, but they never commit. Eventually they head east and move towards Matt and Darrick. They later would tell us that the whole flock stormed the decoys when they saw them. Darrick eventually gets a clean shot at one of the big toms and makes a perfect hit. Matt puts an arrow in a big jake that is standing over the dead tom. They send a text saying, "bring beer and a couple of turkey coffins!"

29-Mar-23

Beav's embedded Photo
Beav's embedded Photo
We take some more pics and hear about the chaos when every bird came running to the setup. We spend one last evening at the cabin and everyone heads for home the next morning. Another great time with the best of friends. As always, I should have taken 10 times more pics, but I promise you I have every memory from the hunt except the last hour of that one night! Good luck to everyone out there. I still have a tag and a great plan!!

29-Mar-23
Always a good hunt, congrats fellas!

29-Mar-23
Fun hunt, good story! Great way to start Spring.

29-Mar-23
Nice!

29-Mar-23
Nice to see some guys out killing a few critters !

29-Mar-23
More than just killing the birds you’re hunting. It’s obvious you guys are having a great time.

29-Mar-23
I love it!!!!!!

29-Mar-23
Are you hunting public or private? Seem to be getting into a lot of birds. Congrats guys

29-Mar-23
Private. I have killed plenty on public but with bird numbers declining public hasn't been as good last few years.

29-Mar-23
Looks like a great time Beav!

29-Mar-23
Happening everywhere. Happy for your success. Keep it goin

29-Mar-23
Happening everywhere. Happy for your success. Keep it goin

29-Mar-23
Same as it ever was....Beav and friends putting down a bunch of birds in a short amount of time! :) Thanks for sharing.

29-Mar-23
Probably running out of turkey coffins up around those parts! Good shooting fellas.

—jim

29-Mar-23
Probably running out of turkey coffins up around those parts! Good shooting fellas.

—jim

29-Mar-23
Outstanding!

Congrats on some great birds and it looks like you all had a great time!

29-Mar-23
You had me at darts and whiskey! That porch with turkeys picture is suitable for framing. Way to go fellas... that’s living right there! Thanks for sharing Beav

29-Mar-23
WOW Thanks for sharing. Will done my turn now. LOL

29-Mar-23
Great recap Beav even though i had heard all the stories already it’s always better to read through it and get a closer feel of the adventure!!

29-Mar-23

otcWill's embedded Photo
otcWill's embedded Photo
The caliber of the hunting is only topped by that of the friends I've got to share it with. See y'all again soon!

29-Mar-23
Of course you guys nailed it! Wouldn't expect anything less.. great work!

29-Mar-23
Couple of my favorite people doing one of my favorite things. Love it. Strong work but I didn’t expect any less.

Har I heard you heart shot yours? Is that true?

29-Mar-23
I KNEW I should have cancelled my New Zealand trip when you called me, Beav! Great job on the birds, and even better job making more memories with great friends! The only thing missing is Zach. Congrats guys!!

29-Mar-23
Great job guys! The only thing that surprises me is that you passed up a shot at the jakes on day one..haha Good shooting! Kevin

29-Mar-23
Will was so proud that I cut it clean in half Hunt!!

29-Mar-23
Beav, had to be those precision arrows I built you to pull off a shot like that !!

30-Mar-23
I'm curious about what time the whiskey was first poured after the first day's success. It doesn't look like it's well-along in the afternoon...

30-Mar-23
Congrats to all! Yet another fantastic start to the Nebraska turkey season! No surprise!!! Thanks for sharing...more to come I hope / expect!

30-Mar-23
Fun times right there-------->

Congrats,

Robb

30-Mar-23
That doesn't sound like any fun at all. Congrats fellas and thanks for sharing the spring ritual, Beav!

30-Mar-23
Beautiful! Made me smile on a snowy Thursday morning. Thanks Beav,

30-Mar-23
Nice ---- cranberries, green bean casserole with mashed potatoes, stuffing & turkey, smothered in gravy! mmmm, mmmm, mmmm.

30-Mar-23
Great job, as always, Harlin! I still need to buy a tag. Maybe I will do that today and head out this weekend?

30-Mar-23
Spectacular work, guys! Looks like a lot of fun!

30-Mar-23
Great stuff guys! Gets me fired up for turkey season here, just a week and a half away!

30-Mar-23
Good stuff fellas! Congrats

30-Mar-23
Looks like everyone had a GREAT time! Except the Blue Jays.................but I guess you can’t have everything! ;-)

30-Mar-23
Turkey Heaven:)

31-Mar-23
NICE! Just need some spring morels to go with those turkeys.

31-Mar-23
Good stuff boys! Congrats:)

31-Mar-23
Congrats Gents! Nice work as always!

Thanks for posting this Beav!

Mark

01-Apr-23
Congrats on your hunt sharing a turkey hunt with friends is so damn cool brings back a lot of memories Beav what blinds are y’all using thanks so much for sharing Lewis

01-Apr-23
Congrats on your hunt sharing a turkey hunt with friends is so damn cool brings back a lot of memories Beav what blinds are y’all using thanks so much for sharing Lewis

01-Apr-23
Great stuff! The “turkey coffin” comment made me laugh!

01-Apr-23
Congrats! Winter is still here in full effect.

01-Apr-23
Good stuff!!

01-Apr-23
Beav & Co never disappoints! Maybe the best ingredient is family and friendship is always dead center in the adventures!!

I think Alaska is making pre-emptive moves to prevent a slaughter when Zack starts entertaining family there.

02-Apr-23
Good stuff!!

02-Apr-23
Well done guys!

02-Apr-23
Looks like a fun hunt.

I'm kinda surprised Nebraska still allows you to kill 2 birds in the spring season considering the well-documented decline in turkey populations.

Matt

02-Apr-23
Grey Ghost they went from three to two this year and limited out of state tags. Overall population has declined but still areas that are steady or have increased in numbers. Lots of Jake’s this year so hopefully we get another decent hatch this year.

02-Apr-23
Beav, thanks. I've never hunted Nebraska, so I didn't realize they reduced the tags from 3 to 2. Still seems awfully generous considering the population reports I've heard from several long-time Nebraska turkey hunters.

This will be the third year in a row that I won't allow any turkey hunting on my property here in Colorado. We have a few birds around, but only a fraction of what there was a decade ago. Our hen to tom/jake ratio seems to be way low too. Our flock of about 20 birds only has 4 hens in it.

I'm glad you guys had a great hunt.

Matt

• Sitka Gear