Seth 07-Jul-23
Pop-r 27-Jul-23
midwest 29-Jul-23
Jaquomo 29-Jul-23
Franzen 30-Jul-23
Zim 01-Aug-23
Cheesehead Mike 01-Aug-23
19-Jun-23
Boy they sure figured out a way to make a killing of extra money from dingo's like me who just send it to them. I've applied for two hunt codes the last several years in the primary draw not to draw and only have to turn around and put in for the same tags in the secondary draw which usually has several of those tags available. They've just about lost my input for it. Not that it will matter to them.

19-Jun-23
Yeah I'll put in but ridiculously low odds

19-Jun-23
Yep, it looks like it's pretty common for roughly 5-6% of tags for each unit to be returned. I think that secondary tags should only be available to those who applied for that unit in the primary draw. But nobody cares what I think. LOL

19-Jun-23
The list is out

19-Jun-23
Do the majority of the tags go to youth hunters? At least that’s the way I understood it.

19-Jun-23
Youth have 100% preference. That means all youth applications are filled before any others are drawn.

19-Jun-23
Over 100 tags on the list for a tag I applied for in the first draw. Maybe I'll get a second chance.

19-Jun-23
I should be able to pick up 2-3 more tags in the Secondary. And then there’s Reissues

20-Jun-23
After youth apps are filled is it essentially a lottery with R and NR on an equal playing field or do quota percentages still factor in? Unfamiliar with the secondary as I normally draw in the regular, but already regretting only opting for a point this year.

20-Jun-23
I believe it's just random lottery on adults. Not sure if there is a R vs NR preference on the youth that apply, I think it's just random also.

20-Jun-23
Yes random no R/NR split.

20-Jun-23
Ok. Thanks guys.

20-Jun-23
Would someone be willing to answer a question about the secondary draw in a PM?

20-Jun-23
Dumb question I should know or look it up…do they take your points if you pull a tag in second draw?

20-Jun-23
Anyone got their first draw tag yet?

20-Jun-23
Anyone got their first draw tag yet?

20-Jun-23
No sir still waiting.

20-Jun-23
I looked it up…second draw does not pull your points. I might try it

20-Jun-23
If there's less than 10 tags for the unit you might as well save your application fees and not apply. Youth's 1st, 2nd, and 3rd choices get filled before any 18+ year old people have a chance. As an adult you stand 0 chance at getting any of the "good" tags on the list. But can't win if you don't play.

21-Jun-23
I didn't draw my first or second choice elk tag. My second choice has 40 tags available in the secondary draw. I'm not sure how that happens when I didn't draw? I'm fine with it though because I drew Wyoming elk, it just doesn't make sense...

Edit: KSRancher explained it to me. Thanks Rusty!

21-Jun-23
As long as cpw continues to allow tag returns with little to no consequences this will continue to be a problem. At least if you surrender a first choice you miss out on that years point which can be a big deal especially to anyone chasing a particular unit. But with second choices there's basically no downside other then the loss of the measly app fee.

22-Jun-23
^^^ What he said.

CPW needs to fix this loophole.

22-Jun-23

22-Jun-23
What many of us think is something that needs to be fixed, CPW thinks is going just like it should.

22-Jun-23
They're going to lose alot of customers eventually. We'll just hunt otc and say the heck with all that nonsense. Plenty of otc in Colorado that can be great hunting! I mean its just $10/head per species plus the loss of the qualifying license fee but it will add up to $200+ per person lost if they apply like I do.

22-Jun-23
"They're going to lose a lot of customers eventually."

This won't happen.

23-Jun-23
I think you're mistaken. I believe they went to this system because the "serious" group that would apply and anty up beforehand were dwindling and to appease this newer crowd this is the system they figured would work best. Until the old timers catch on and don't play anymore.

23-Jun-23
Pop-r the first unit I ever hunted in CO 75 use to be OTC hasn't been for years now. Just this year Grand Mesa is no longer OTC. My point is I wouldn't be confident OTC will always be a option especially for NR in the future. CPW has made it very clear that they put money first and the current system rakes in app fees not just once but twice. The surrender policy for tags makes 2nd choice tags being returned very common. Which is why piles of tags are avail in the 2nd draw people didn't draw in the first draw. I have no doubt you're right and some will grow frustrated and quit but if there's two or three people replacing them it won't matter. The numbers don't lie every year there's more and more applicant's usually for the same or less tags. Western hunting has exploded in the last decade and is growing in popularity exponentially with no signs of slowing. I will say of all the states I apply for CO is the only one I'm seriously considering bailing on once my current points are used.

25-Jun-23
Like has been said above, adults have 0% chance of drawing a hard to draw unit. You name will not even be in the drawing because kids will draw them all. If there is 10+ tags in a 0 point unit, you might have a shot.

25-Jun-23
I am more excited about the secondary draw than the primary. Hopefully my son and dad both draw a tag. I have don't have tag this year. It's just as much or more fun going along on hunts with my dad, sons and brother.

25-Jun-23
If there's hunt code[s] you're interested in, go back and look at the 2022 Secondary Draw Recap for the same hunts.

You'll quickly see that there's not much of a chance.... just like txhunter58 said above.

06-Jul-23
TTT. Anxiously waiting to see what tomorrow brings for my dad and son

06-Jul-23
^^^Ditto Ks. Applied for my son and I applied for a deer tag in the same unit I drew for elk. Was only 8 tags for what I applied for. Most likely just a donation to the CPW but can’t win if you don’t play.

06-Jul-23
Good luck to all of you that have kids in the draw! Hopefully there will be a few happy youngsters.

07-Jul-23
My brother just text and got a cc hit for my nephew's elk tag. Goodluck guys!

07-Jul-23
My daughter drew one of 6 muzzy elk tags in our unit. Now the hard part of finding time off school and activities to go.

No word on deer yet.

07-Jul-23
Deer results are up if you check your CPW profile.

07-Jul-23
She was "not awarded" deer. Only 1 tag.

07-Jul-23
Unsuccessful in a Second Draw elk tag. There were 18 available.

07-Jul-23
unsuccessful elk 98 available

07-Jul-23
Will be interesting to see the draw recap when it comes out

07-Jul-23
Amazing how much demand exists for the secondary tags. That unit Paul mentions was only around 5% draw odds last year in the secondary, and there were even more tags (24) leftover last year. And mostly adults.

07-Jul-23
I put both kids in for rifle deer with just over 20 tags and one drew. At least it was the one most excited for the opportunity who drew!

27-Jul-23
It gets better yet. The unit I've put in for twice and didn't get (after paying an app fee twice) has several tags available again for anyone who can type faster than the rest. Lol

29-Jul-23
From here on out, I'm going to identify as a youth hunter. Should work...this is Calirado after all. ;-)

29-Jul-23
With this new initiative by CPW to promote outdoor recreation among "people of color" (because they are underrepresented and presumably intimidated by all us white folk out in the woods), don't be surprised if they set aside limited tags within the next couple years.

DEI rules!!

30-Jul-23
No worries. Just pull a Lizzy Warren on them.

01-Aug-23
I completely removed CO leftover/dad/youth/secondary draws from my appl schedule. There’s no longer anything worth wasting my time on. Once the regular draw is done, so am I. I have better things to do.

01-Aug-23
One less person to compete with and still an option to pick up a tag if you've struck out so far.

• Sitka Gear