Murph 08-Jul-23
carcus 08-Jul-23
BoggsBowhunts 08-Jul-23
Bent arrow 08-Jul-23
WhattheFOC 08-Jul-23
GFL 08-Jul-23
Buck Watcher 08-Jul-23
06-Jul-23
Got my Halon 6 restrung at a local bow shop with GAS Strings. I was shooting it and it seemed to be fine, didn’t notice much wrong as I was primarily concerned with keeping an eye on my new arrow set up.

I took a break from my bow to get my dad’s zeroed for him and set his sight tape up. I immediately noticed that his felt about 10 pounds heavier than mine. I made a comment about it and asked him if he had an 80 pound bow and he said no it was set at 72, which is what mine was at prior to getting it restrung. The next day (today) I went to the bow shop and asked them to measure the draw weight of mine and they said “64”

After a very confusing thirty minutes or so, they started measuring everything to check the specs and noticed the axle to axle was about 1/4” longer than it should’ve been - implying that the cables were out of spec on the long side which could cause a shorter-than-spec draw length and a lower-than-spec draw weight.

They’re reordering new strings and cables now to hopefully fix the issue, but I’m kind’ve disappointed that I listened to their advice on going with GAS Strings. Could’ve been an honest mistake, but I feel like an 8 pound difference in draw weight due to long cables is certainly an issue worth bringing up.

Am I a unicorn or has anybody else had an issue with cable length being off either short or long?

06-Jul-23
I have only had a couple of sets of GAS and they were nails.

08-Jul-23
Is nails good or bad?

08-Jul-23
Twist up the cable ?

08-Jul-23
In the OP you state you got new strings, did that include new cables? (restrung... with GAS _Strings_).

How much extra length in the new vs the old?

I'm no pro but seems to me they might want to compare the old and new side-by-side before installing. (Or at least keep or return the old ones in case a problem like this arises.)

Shop pros, what say you?

08-Jul-23
I have had it happen with other string manufactures. I think it depends on the person making them that day. I have just always twisted up the cables to gain more poundage, but that does affect other specs on the bow, which i usually do not really care too much about.. As long as I can get good pin float and broad heads to fly I am happy. If you like to tinker I would purchase a bow press. Its nice to set things up exactly as you want and not wonder if the pro shop is doing it correctly.

08-Jul-23
A good shop will always take very intricate measurements of your current setup before disassembly and put everything back accordingly, I have had 2 sets of GAS and just restrung my Hoyt with the freak show set they came in low 68lbs on a 70 pound maxed limb, 2 pounds didn’t matter to me I timed the cams and went to tuning so far they shoot amazing and have not crept with over 1000 arrows through it, 1/4 long could easily be shortened with some twists as others mentioned, they may have even lost some twists when they took the paper clips off and started to reassemble good luck I’ve found their customer service to be excellent and my center serving size requested has always been spot on IMO they do a great job

08-Jul-23
It happens, X2 on the bow press, it was the best archery related purchase I've made

08-Jul-23
Dana, yes new cables too. Not sure how they compared length wise to the old cables because I had them throw away the old string and cables when they put the new ones on - a mistake I won’t make again. I just know that it added 1/4” Axle to Axle.

If it was a pound or two I wouldn’t care thaaaat much, but even twisting the cable they could only get it up to 66 pounds. When changing the string/cables I also moved to a 500ish grain arrow from a 400ish grain arrow, so I was relying on the speed from 72 pounds. They called GAS and have new ones coming, so hopefully it was just a fluke deal

08-Jul-23
Had problem w/incorrect strings (lgth) sent from leading mfg. Wrong cam was put on build sheet. They made it rt and sent express. Have restrung 100s of bows. First time. Always check.

08-Jul-23
I changed a set of strings yesterday. I looked up specs and confirmed them before and after the string change. Seems like a pretty common sense way to check your work. Whoever installed for you is doing sloppy work.

08-Jul-23
My advice is find another shop or learn to do the work. Even new strings your going to twist to get to length.

08-Jul-23

Buck Watcher's embedded Photo
Buck Watcher's embedded Photo
This may help.

• Sitka Gear