Corax_latrans 13-Jul-23
Missouribreaks 13-Jul-23
Hawken 18-Jul-23
Corax_latrans 18-Jul-23
Tilzbow 19-Jul-23
TonyBear 19-Jul-23
Corax_latrans 20-Jul-23
08-Jul-23
Serious question: For you guys who feel comfortable drilling targets at longer ranges…. What makes you decide to pass up equally long shots on big game?

Feel free to provide your own definition of “longer”.

08-Jul-23
It's just a "feeling". Could be features of the terrain, could be the animals disposition,.the presence of other animals, weather affects (wind etc.). Could be it just feels right...or doesn't.

08-Jul-23
Just in case I make a bad shot nothing puts a downer on a hunt like wounding an animal with no recovery. I love to try and get closer. But effective range changes depending on my level of practice leading up to the hunt

08-Jul-23
For me, it mostly comes down to the animals body language- same for every shot really.

08-Jul-23
There’s too many branches in the way in CT to shoot much past 25-30 yards. Otherwise I’d take longer shots.

08-Jul-23
There’s a couple reasons for me. For one thing, a target doesn’t move. The longer my arrow’s in the air, the more time for something bad to happen that I have zero control of. Secondly, due to my short DL and relatively low draw weight, I realize my arrows don’t have the “oomph” that most people enjoy. I limit my shots at game to about 45 yards max. It’s fairly thick where I hunt, so my shots typically average around 25 yds.

08-Jul-23
I haven’t stretched it out in a while, but used to practice at 90-100 yards regularly and get groups well within a “vital zone” when doing so. To me, the ultra long range game in both rifle and archery HUNTING can get toxic very fast. Hunting and target shooting are equally difficult in their own way, but they should each be separately difficult in my opinion. Shooting an animal at 20 yards isn’t hard in a shooting sense, but is incredibly difficult in a hunting/stealth sense. Shooting an animal at 700 yards with an 6.5 creed isn’t hard in a hunting/stealth sense, but is fairly hard in a long range shooting sense.

I love both challenges and am an active participant in both, but hate when they’re combined. I respect those that can shoot a bow consistently at 120 yards, but have a tremendous lack of respect for those that shoot their bow at 120 yards at an animal and then post it online to influence others to do the exact same thing. I was young and dumb just a few years ago, and remember seeing online videos of folks arrowing animals at 90 yards and thinking it was the coolest thing ever and was something I wanted to emulate.

Years went by and I took a long hiatus from YouTube hunting shows. I began forming my own opinion of what challenge was and the type of hunter I wanted to be whenever I wasn’t devoured by influence from “shock factor” YouTube videos, and that type of hunter wasn’t one that found a dopamine boost from seeking “long shots” but one that found a dopamine boost in my opinion of what ethical hunting was. I only find a dopamine boost if I can truly tell myself I defeated the animal’s senses, and I don’t believe I would have that feeling if I shot at something over 50 yards away.

So long story short, I guess my “limiting factor” isn’t a physical factor at all - but an internal one.

08-Jul-23
For me, "effective range" on targets is completely different than on animals. I can pound targets out to 80-90 yards. But, I think anything beyond 50 yards on deer, and 60 yards on elk, is asking for trouble. Beyond those distances, too much can go wrong while the arrow is in the air, whether it's a unseen twig, gust of wind, animal moves, etc...

There's also the adrenaline factor. I don't get buck fever badly, but I'd be lying if I said my aim is as steady in hunting situations as it is when target shooting.

Matt

08-Jul-23

08-Jul-23
My idea of what makes bowhunting fun is ranges most would consider close. I limit my equipment and shot choices accordingly.

I'm not a snob, I have rolled more than a few critters off the side of a ridge at 500+ yards with a tricked out rifle. I'm just selfish when it comes to bowhunting and want to to get the most satisfaction based on my version of what's fun.

08-Jul-23
Hah! I checked in before a few of you guys were done writing, when it had been mostly Trad guys either Feelin’ It or not….

And that makes sense - there’s a lot of that for me, too…

But as you guys have noted, there are some shots where Hang Time pretty much trumps all, even when I’m feeling good about being able to hold into the line… Behavior is a big deal; sometimes you can just see that that animal is liable to move at any time and other times they seem pretty content where they are. But the hang time… it’s just a killer.

Reminds me of the guy I heard about here who had his 15 minutes of fame for killing a ram at 80 yards or something after the sheep had jumped up from its bed and dove in front of an arrow that was headed to a spot about 6 feet away from where it had been aimed…. And the guy who posted a video of his dad muffling a 70-yard attempt on a bull that wheeled around at the sound of the shot and caught an arrow in the back of the brain-case…

And I’m totally on board with the Predatory Rush that comes from being inside the envelope. That’s a big piece of why my average shot distance is pretty much inside of typical stickbow range, even with a scoped rifle. I shot a Whitetail at about 180 (rifle, obviously!) and it just didn’t do a damn thing for me.

08-Jul-23
At a 100 yard target, the limiting factor is me. By a wide margin.

At a 60 yard animal, the limiting factor is NOT me - it’s the reality that the animal might not even be there when the arrow arrives.

I know a guy who killed a big muley at 80 yards in a gale force wind. It was an absolute Hail Mary that landed right in the heart. After that he became the advocate for long shots. He wanted to set tree stands up for 60 yard shots despite his batting average being questionable at 20. We don’t hunt together anymore.

08-Jul-23
A story so nice - I told it twice.

08-Jul-23
I now shoot crossbows. My site in range is 60 yards. Age affects the eyes. My preferred kill shot is 35 to 40.

08-Jul-23
I practice out to 120 yards. However, I’d never shoot that far on animal for a first shot; for a follow up I’ll shoot as far as needed to put a second hole in it if needed. Out west, I’d feel comfortable shooting out to 80 on an animal if it’s not walking. For a whitetail in the woods, 60 yards would be effective range if it’s an open shot which is unlikely… longest you may have is 40 yards. However, you need to factor in wind drift, if an animal is alert, if the animal is moving constantly, brush and branches, etc. It also comes down to confidence in yourself and your equipment. Practice at longer distances and get comfortable with it… your groups will shrink over time and your effective range will increase.

08-Jul-23
I wonder when archery hunting switched from how close you could get to how far you could shoot.

08-Jul-23
cnelk x 2. In the hunting world there is nothing to compare to shooting an animal when you can see its eyelashes. If you can even get drawn on it at those distances you have accomplished something.

08-Jul-23
Most of the whitetails I shoot are under 20 yards. If a trophy whitetail was standing 40 yards away, I wouldn't take the shot, as I feel that I could get a better shot on another day, given the ease of whitetail deer hunting. However, I would shoot a stationary antelope at 60 yards if the conditions were right on a broadside or quartering away target. I would prefer the antelope at 20 yards, like my whitetails, but I haven't managed to sneak up on one that close. My groups at 60 yards are generally the size of a softball or smaller.

08-Jul-23
I never miss, even when the ladies leave the seat down.

But seriously, I like my hunting shots 20 yards and in with my recurve. I know my own limitations and I expect anyone that is serious about their hunting knows theirs as well.

08-Jul-23
Here we go this outta open a shit storm of positivity lol

08-Jul-23
I understand that targets don't move, and animals do. My effective hunting range is based on animals, they move. I like to keep my shots within 30 with a compound, and within 20 with a recurve.

08-Jul-23
40 on an animal is pushing it pretty good for me. I can take much longer shots on targets but I won’t do it on an animal. 20-25 is pretty much max with my longbow.

09-Jul-23
For your answer cnelk my opinion is , it switched when people started talking about it, I know guys that used to pound dirt roads and get a handful of shots with their recurve every night at all kinds of ranges no range finder just lob and hope when deer and opportunities were plentiful and I know I’m not the only one that can speak of this but for some reason if someone shoots at a deer at 80 today it’s a major, show me your reason for the madness and maybe I’ll agree

09-Jul-23
I got an infection in my eye when I was about 35 years old. It scarred over 30% of my dominant cornea. It’s one of, if not the biggest reason i hunt with traditional bows so much. I tried switching to my weak side but, I have a stigmatism so bad in that eye, I see double vision. Everything is doubled. That’s another reason I hunt with traditional equipment more often than not. So, when shooting a stick bow, by shooting with both eyes open, I can over come that.

I’ll shoot at any distance reasonable if it feels right with traditional bows. I’m guessing that maximum would be 45 yards or so if my target is well lit.

With my compound, that distance could increase to 60 if the target is lit up and my pins aren’t in direct sunlight. It creates so much blur if it’s the other way around. I’ve had deer within yards of me and not shot with either bow if the lighting was wrong preventing me with an acceptable sight picture. So, with both weapons, it changes dramatically from day to day given the situation. However, if I can see where I want to hit, I can hit it.

I often wander how cool it’d be to be able to shoot a sighted compound like I could when I was younger. I’ve killed a pile of animals with both bows. I lost count long ago when time allowed for 4-5 states a year deer hunting with elk and bear scattered throughout. Yes, it could be worse. But, I think it was Gods way of protecting the animals from me. lol.

09-Jul-23
Sometimes I dial up practice all the way out to 30 yards. Animals are where they are, so that's where I shoot them. Usually not past 100 yards though. Limiting factor is usually whether or not I have my eyes open.

09-Jul-23
If it feels right I let er buck.

Granted I’d love every shot to be 8 yards, but I have taken probably 8 -10 animals in the 55-80 range and ironically my record on those is perfect, something I can’t say about 0-40. Obviously I’ve taken way more shots in close. I trust my gut

09-Jul-23
Good thread, I like it.

First my choices come from experience. Now in the last 10 years, I have not lost a animal. My max shot is 70. I take in to consideration the animals demeanor, arrow path/angle to animal, wind. Coupled with, I try to shoot at least once a week minimum, thats mostly in the off season. I have a ten target 3d range in woods behind my house. I have to setup every time I shoot, targets are laying on ground. If left setup I find them broke and nocked over by bear. After I set them up I can shoot from any distance or angle. For me a perfect shot on a deer hard quartering away maybe a hit right in front of the hind leg. I also have a 30 target, 38 yds, indoor 3d range 25 minutes from my house. I also try to hit 6/9 club 3d shoots a year. Al these gives my the confidence to take longer shots.

But what breaks that confidence is like I said animals demeanor, path to animal and its up/down angle. 60-70 yards I won't shoot at an animal thats a little to quartering away, but will shoot if its in the same spot broadside.

09-Jul-23
Depends on the game, whitetails and bears my max distance is 30 yards, moose and elk I'd feel comfortable out to 70 yards

09-Jul-23
Targets: me.

Animals: everything else.

Fartherst I've ever shot an animal confidently is 55 yds. Closest was about 10 yds, avg is 25.

I no longer shoot beyond 50.

09-Jul-23
My limiting factor is the animal I am hunting, confidence and how well I am shooting.

Here lately I have been only hunting whitetails and I am not shooting as good as I used to. Not sure if it’s me or the bow or both.

It’s been 6 years since I have shot an animal past 28 yards.

A person can be proud of their long range shots. But the one I am most proud of is a 3 yard shot while being on the ground at eye level with the animal.

10-Jul-23
I become a hot mess in the presence of game. Much different than standing in the backyard launching arrows at 60 yards in total calm. Add cold weather clothing, cold weather, and my pounding heart, and it radically alters the distance I can keep things under control. I prefer shots 20 yards and in, but will take a 30 yard shot. There's a reason I've only killed one animal beyond 30 yards. I know my limitations. And despite my efforts to increase my range, I can't get myself to shoot longer at animals.

10-Jul-23

ahunter76's embedded Photo
ahunter76's embedded Photo
For me a long shot is 40 yds & it's wind condition, animal relaxed & how open is the shot. Now, that being said I've been blessed with a very long bowhunting journey (started in 1956) & a variety of biggame. I kept a log for nearly 30 years & my average shot has been just under 25 yds.. To me, bowhunting "is" getting close.

10-Jul-23
I shoot recurves. Thirty yards is long to me. I've only killed one animal at a "longer distance" - at 40 yards - and that was decades ago when I shot a compound. At the distance I prefer- twenty or so yards - I like when the animal is walking slowly. I've shot over deer closer than twenty when they were still and reacted to the shot.

10-Jul-23
Most are 20 and under. I buck at 30yds.

10-Jul-23
Phil x 100. Traditional equipment is called the struggle stick for a reason.

To start, they aren’t much of any quieter than a properly designed and out fitted compound.

Second, they are slow enough that when deer hear it, they can easily get out of the way. and, a standing deer, 12 yards out, from a 18’ high tree stand can and will drop every shot. The only question is if he’s alert enough to do it. And, it doesn’t take much to miss high when he is. I didn’t include the doe’s because they are going to be alert enough.

It’s heart breaking to see this go down. And, with the limitations the trad bow creates for longer shots, 20-25 yards is better than 12 on standing deer. The bow doesn’t startle them as much farther out.

10-Jul-23
“Hang Time”

IME, I’ve seen more animal movement on the shorter shots where the animal heard my bow go off. Sometimes a little more distance is to your advantage.

Of course distance magnifies everything on the actual shot; trajectory, margin of error

To clarify and worth mentioning because I’ve seen guys take these shots;

I’m talking shots where the animal has not made you. Shooting at any critter thats made you is a license for bad shot location or a complete miss…and its way worse on a critter staring at you out past 50y….heck even 40y. Someone taking those shots is rolling the dice……we aren’t rifle hunting.

When it comes to the animal moving due to the shot itself ( and it has no idea you are there) ….…I’ve personally seen less of that on slightly longer shots, YMMV- grin

10-Jul-23
First let me say that I’m totally on board with keeping my bowhunting about getting in close; I shoot my bows past 40 every time I go to the range (and basically on every one of our target stations, and I don’t always miss) but personally, if I weren’t willing to bet the cost of a tag on my ability to get inside of 40 yards, I’d be hunting with the .54 roundballer. It’s absolutely NO more difficult to get to within 40-120 yards with a compound than with a ML (arguably easier, actually, given season timing and pressure) and the mechanics of the shot are basically the same (or maybe easier if your ML has period-correct sights vs scope or peep) but there’s a crapload more to go wrong. At 1200-1800fps, a roundball or a conical is just The Right Tool For The Job.

Otherwise… I guess I have made up my own distinction between “hang time” and “lock time”….

So (just me) Hang time is a factor on long shots; on a lot of my shots in practice sessions, that arrow is airborne for probably 2 full seconds - feels even longer on a poor release, standing there contemplating the error of my ways and watching to see where that sucker ends up…. If I were standing there watching a perfect shot on a bull dropping into where the 10-ring WAS, a half a step ago, I’d probably have time to barf preemptively…

Lock time, though, is different (again, just IMO); that’s how quickly an animal can react to a shot and move far enough to turn a good shot bad at customary bowhunting ranges.

YES, 100% agreed that there is (or can be) such a thing as Too Close; the definition of that probably varies between compounds and single-strings. I suppose it’s possible for a fast compound to be too fast for a deer to react to at close range, but I don’t think tradbows provide much (or ANY) room for error when they’re really wound unless you guess right about where they’re going. If I’m good and busted, I’m done - unless I can stay still until they forget all about me. On the other hand, a couple of times deer that were more curious than alarmed have basically just stood there trying to ID me until the arrow hit. Those were basically between 20 and 30 yards. And yeah, in my early days there were a few shots (even longer) that got no reaction at all… until the arrow hit something noisy behind them….

I’ve never seen an animal react before the hit when it was already moving steadily, though; not even at single-digit distances. I did have one that was moving hesitantly (it was actually stalking my brother) which froze, mid-stride, and almost caused a problem… I got lucky on that one.

10-Jul-23
Species. I shoot elk out to 50 very comfortably and might 60+ on a good day. That being said I will not shoot at antelope over 25 yds.

10-Jul-23
When I practiced a lot at 60-80, 30-40 seemed very doable. Now I dont get to practice at that range very often, so 30 is it. What makes me pause - back then or now... The thought of the critter moving in the time between release and impact.

10-Jul-23
Body language, shot angle, animal size, wind conditions.

If all that checks out, I have to hit full draw and “feel it” so to speak. If it isn’t good, it isn’t good.

10-Jul-23

10-Jul-23

10-Jul-23
It's an interesting topic for sure...and one that I continue to analyze on every shot I take.

10-Jul-23
Test

11-Jul-23
The moment.

12-Jul-23
Nothing is 100% in bowhunting but unless I am 90-95% sure in making the shot I'm not taking it. What determines that? To many things to list, wind, any possible obstructions, distance, do I know the exact range, angle of animal, does it know I'm there......... A few years back I had 370-380 bull at 60 yards in an open field, no wind, slight quartering away shot(my favorite), I never drew the bow. He knew I was there. I had full confidence I could have put the arrow where I wanted to, I doubt he would have been in the same spot when it arrived.

12-Jul-23
The animal (specie) definitely plays into it. I feel that 25-40 yards is sort of a no-go zone for Coues out of a tree; I had one jump the string at 12 yards and get hit in the guts (recovered, fortunately).

The shot I want is 15-20. The shot I'm willing to take on most animals is 45 on deer-size animals. Animals move a lot. I also don't shoot thousands of arrows per year with a compound anymore, so I'm just not as good of a shot as I used to be.

12-Jul-23
I watched Levi Morgan kill a mule deer at over 90 yards, open hill area, I could not believe it.

Remember the 70s. Guys would really launch arrows.

12-Jul-23
So you’re saying that you’re willing to be just as stupid as somebody you saw on YouTube or Facebook because (in the clip that didn’t get erased) they apparently got away with it??

12-Jul-23
Thought I should split this into its own post….

“…and one that I continue to analyze on every shot I take.”

Yup. It’s a long list, isn’t it? I posted mine here once and caught hell for it, as if I were suggesting that I started thinking about all of these factors AFTER I had hit full draw and the animal was in my shooting lane….

Morons. LOL…

12-Jul-23
My limitation is my "focus" ie how dialed in on seeing the spot i will hit, and my confidence. Lots of other factors, but those are my biggest limitations and advantages depending on how you look at it........

12-Jul-23
My limiting factor is simply me. I make up my own ethics on each and every shot, not beforehand. Sometimes good, sometimes not.

12-Jul-23
I wonder what Fred Bear's answer would be? Grin

My guess is it would be the quantity of arrows he can have in the air at the same time....

12-Jul-23
Saxton Pope, Art Young, and Howard Hill were some of the biggest arrow launchers out there. They weren't afraid to send it.

12-Jul-23
If I remember correctly, Fred's snow buck was taken with a neck shot at just over 70 yards. I have no issue with it.

12-Jul-23
I like your thinking brotsky!!

13-Jul-23
“Saxton Pope, Art Young, and Howard Hill were some of the biggest arrow launchers out there. They weren't afraid to send it.”

Absolutely true. And they wounded animals by the carload, I’m sure. If you look at the best available statistics on bowhunting wounding and loss rates from 50 or 60 or 70 years ago - note that P&Y were big in the 1920s - they are appalling. And back then, nobody really cared. I’m not saying that’s the ideal case or even acceptable, but that’s what it was. That’s not what it is anymore. And if I knew someone who was wounding and losing as many animals as those guys did (or as the “average“ bowhunter did 60 years ago) I would absolutely, positively BEG him to give it up until he’s got his shit together, or just give it up entirely.

People like that… It’s not just that “bow hunting doesn’t need them” it’s that bowhunting cannot survive if they’re not purged from the ranks.

If you really want to see bowhunting outlawed, just continue to advocate irresponsible, unethical practices. It shouldn’t take very long with a strong internet publicity effort. Hell, look around the country. Depending on where you live, we’ve already lost trapping, hound-hunting, bear-baiting and ALL forms of top predator management, so how long could bow hunting take?

13-Jul-23
Bowhunting is already on a serious decline, especially where the scoped bolt launching machines are legal for all.

Ethics and shot selection are personal decisions, and not for me to critique or criticize.

Far worse is discussing poor outcomes with any weapon on a public forum. That, coupled with pictures of horn porn and hide hunting are massive turn offs to the non hunter voter.

18-Jul-23
Age!

18-Jul-23
“Ethics and shot selection are personal decisions, and not for me to critique or criticize.”

Are you sure that’s not a bit of a cop-out?

I used to give Jim Fetrow absolute hell about some of the shots that he took, but the better I get, the more I am able to understand what’s possible with this equipment in the hands of a truly skilled archer (I’m not claiming to be one of them, mind you). There was a video link posted on the wall recently showing an Englishman who was shooting an accurate reproduction of a war bow, and he was launching a 3 ounce arrow at 193 ft./s from a long bow drawing on the order of his entire body weight. And he was dropping arrows pretty well on target at 200 yards. One well respected authority has stated that English longbowmen of The Day were fully expected to be able to hit a man-sized target at that range. Consistently.

Anyway, at some point, I realized that my limitations aren’t necessarily applicable to others, and I would agree that you really do have to let the results speak for themselves.

So yeah, it’s a fine line between policing our own ranks and just being a pain in the ass Gerry, but it’s not a lot different from speaking up against poachers; we really do need nonhunters to understand that the overwhelming majority of us are responsible, conscientious, and as committed to ethical behavior as we can possibly be.

I guess maybe there are two kinds of bow hunters who will take those longer shots; those who try it because they saw one of their “heroes” pull it off on YouTube and they usually do OK on foam, and then there are those who take those shots because they’ve been hunting successfully long enough to have extremely good judgment as to what they can deliver on in any given situation.

The Masters deserve our respect, but the Wannabes need their asses kicked once in a while…

19-Jul-23
I don’t buy the animal movement argument given the fact it only takes arrows shot from a modern compound an extra .55 seconds to travel from 50 to 100 yards. A calm, unaware animal standing still at 100 yards is way less likely to move than a wired antelope at a water hole at 40 yards or a whitetail buck cruising for does at 20 yards. All that said, I’ve never drawn my bow at an animal past 60 yards. Wind, confidence, my aging eye sight all play a factor even though I can stack arrows pretty good into kill zone sized groups at 100 yards and I shoot that distance almost every day.

19-Jul-23
A calm animal may not have a reason to move, but indeed they can-just for the simple fact they may want to. At 100 yards you can see every little stick, weed, that could affect arrow flight too? The equipment is always in near perfect condition, all day, every day??

No Thanks I'll keep my shots close as far too many things can happen during a hunt and we owe the animal a lot more respect than taking iffy shots..

Foam don't care, animals always be aware...-Overheard at a 3-D tournament.

20-Jul-23
“ it only takes arrows shot from a modern compound an extra .55 seconds to travel from 50 to 100 yards.”

That might be true if you were shooting in a vacuum. But arrows start slowing down immediately, and an animal that can dodge your arrow can ABSOLUTELY take half a step or (as with the ram that dove in front of sone guy’s arrow at 80 yards) jump up from its bed after hearing a foreign sound which they may have learned to associate with arrows clattering into the rocks close by.

You should also try shooting lighted nocks in a crosswind some evening; I was out one night and took a few 70-yarders and was perplexed to see a hard tail-wag on my arrows at about 50-60 yards down-range, even though the shafts had been nicely settled up until that point. But up above the trees in the swamp there, there was a distinct breeze that I’d been completely unaware of until I saw it upset my nicely settled flight.

And while it’s great to practice long (I have one or two targets at the club where I can reach out to 90 or so), even if I could reliably group into a foot, that leaves ZERO margin for error on a deer and damn little on an Elk, which can move a foot just by shifting its weight.

So enjoy your long-range artillery practice, by all means. But 100 yards is longer than the average RIFLE season shot was always said to be, out in CO. JMO, if archery equipment is a “100-yard weapon” and muzzleloaders are now “200-yard weapons”, there’s really no reason for the overwhelming majority of hunters to tolerate these special set-aside seasons for “lesser weapons” anymore, is there? I sure can’t think of any…

• Sitka Gear