Tilzbow 16-Aug-23
Corax_latrans 16-Aug-23
Zbone 16-Aug-23
Ambush 16-Aug-23
Zbone 16-Aug-23
Meat Grinder 16-Aug-23
06-Aug-23
Edit… video added further down

I understand that a bare shaft has a direction it prefers to turn… I have no idea which direction this bow does.

That being said I’m shooting 3-5” RW feathers.. Kike was over yesterday working on his bow so we played with slo-mo mode on the phone.

It appears my arrow leave the bow rotating to the left then a few yards down range completely reversed and spins to the right.

Possible or optical illusion?

06-Aug-23
Not an illusion. Mathews bows tend to spin counter clockwise but the best way to determine is to mark your arrow and shoot a few feet from the target. If the mark turns left you use a left helical. If you use a right helical fletch the arrow will fight the natural rotation, the spin will pause mid-flight and start to spin based on your fletching helical. That’s suboptimal. You want the helical to match the natural spin your bow is producing.

I learned this late in life. For 30 years I just always used right helical arrows.

06-Aug-23
If your string is twisted left and your arrows are fletched right offset or right helical that is how the arrows would spin. The string would start the arrows spinning left but the fletching would take over and spin the arrows to the right.

That is why people usually fletch their arrows the same direction as their bowstring is twisted. However, John Dudley did a Nockon Archery video recently on Youtube where he shoots identical arrows, except some are fletched right offset and some are fletched left offset. At 70 meters(I think that was the distance) both types of arrows hit the same spot.

06-Aug-23
Thank you… Accuracy and flight doesn’t seem to be affected at all… I’ve always shot right wing Why? Because that’s the clamp that came with the bitz when I bought it… I’ve recorded in slo -mo before and never noticed this WTF was I thinking…lol

06-Aug-23
Go find the "It's not the equipment" thread and watch the video.

06-Aug-23
Almost all compounds want to spin left. We've shot a lot of compounds in the shop to see. But stickbows, especially those that the arrow spine is great, will want to spin right. I shot several recurves from customers that we had bare shaft tuned and at 3 to 5 feet, they wanted to spin right.

06-Aug-23
If you shoot your arrow in North American it spins one way, move to New Zealand and it changes direction? I always thought it was about the feathers or vanes. More importantly do they hit where you are aiming.

06-Aug-23

Shug's embedded Photo
This is 55 yards.. 500 grain arrow and a 23 year old bow… And nearly 60 year old eyes
Shug's embedded Photo
This is 55 yards.. 500 grain arrow and a 23 year old bow… And nearly 60 year old eyes
Thanks again guys… I was aware of the arrow wanting to turn in one direction my point was that that direction pull actually over powered the fletching then reversed course down range… That’s where my question comes in…

06-Aug-23
Um, don’t change anything!

06-Aug-23
What x-man said above.

06-Aug-23
I don't believe for a second you can tell which direction the arrow is rotating without filming the nock in flight.

06-Aug-23
I will rotate the pic to correct alignment

06-Aug-23
String direction is the sole reason for the natural direction the arrow will spin out of the bow. Most bowstrings are a left twist. America’s Best Bowstrings is the only right twist I know of. Most guys can’t tell a difference between a right and left fletch. However, if you want the most forgiving set up, then you match your helical/offset to the direction your arrow spins due to bowstring twist direction.

06-Aug-23
Dudley has always had a right fletch and you can see in his slow mo videos that the arrow spins left out of the bow then switches direction about 10 yards out in front to spin to the right. It’s not a true necessity to match it, but getting that spin to stay true the whole way can potentially help with accuracy and forgiveness, but like I said most average bowhunters who shoot a month or two before the season starts aren’t good enough to see a difference. It’s the guys who shoot everyday and continue to attempt to perfect their craft and do everything they can to shoot the tightest groups that Dudley talks about.

06-Aug-23
Some claim it’s the string twist, some the bow, some the shaft and others that it’s simply voodoo to be accepted on faith. All could be proven or disproven with a simple testing of each hypothesis. Yet the argument carries on.

Some guys claim that they shoot a dozen new bare shafts and fletch each accordingly. Lefts and rights from the same bow and shooter. So does that mean it’s not the string twist or bow or even the shooter?

I can accept the a shaft released by fingers could have an archer induced spin. But not with a release that is free to turn so there is no string torque.

Can a bare shaft spin. Sure. But if you hold an arrow buy the nock and drop it straight down, when it hits the ground it will tip some way.

By the time that fletched arrow ends it’s powerstroke on the string, the fletching has preloaded the shaft to spin in the fletched direction. If there is a force that can overcome that preload, it should be very easy to find the cause of it.

It’s about the same as sticking your tongue out the left side of your mouth when tightening a bolt and out the right when your loosening it.

06-Aug-23
WOW Shug, impressive group for a 60 year old..8^) Yeah, I wouldn't change a thing...

As for natural direction, its all about the direction of bowstring twist...

Also, BC (before compounds) old school books advised left wing (left helical) for right hand shooter, and visa versa... I didn't have a high tech slow mo camera but did extensive testing with broadheaded arrows with feathers cut to only about 1/8" or less above the quill and found this to be true.... That's about the minimum amount of fletching to stabilize an arrow with a broadhead that can be done safely and it required a perfect release to get perfect flight.... Trust me, I tried bare shafting a broadheaded arrow and WOW, that was dangerous, good thing I didn't have any neighbors...8^)

06-Aug-23
"As for natural direction, its all about the direction of bowstring twist..."

zbone, then how do you get left and right rotating bare shafts off the same string?

06-Aug-23
Ohhhh, I'd have to look it up,,, I got it in my notes somewhere... Give me a few minutes, it's been a few years since I've made a bowstring... Also, it has to do with the direction of the serving twist... I got this info on computer file somewhere, I'll try to find it... Standby...8^)

If it goes one direction on one shaft then another direction, something is different, either the release or the arrow itself, but something is different... In a perfect world, physics should always be the same...

06-Aug-23

Zbone's embedded Photo
Zbone's embedded Photo
Will try to find which correct direction for right helical / left helical...

06-Aug-23
Found it: "Right handed archer - Look from the top of the bow down, the twist should be clockwise, as should the serving." And of course opposite for lefties...

If the serving twist is opposite the string material twist, the serving may eventually loosen...

06-Aug-23
"I don't believe for a second you can tell which direction the arrow is rotating without filming the nock in flight."

Your choice to believe what you want. Simply marking the arrow and shooting it at distances from 1' to 15 yards in 2' increments will show the initial spin and where/if it reverses.

06-Aug-23
"then how do you get left and right rotating bare shafts off the same string?"

Exactly, it's not a simple cut/dried string and serving direction deal.

06-Aug-23
zbone, that might have something to do with the string rolling off the fingers or matching the serving to string (same rotation) but I don't see how that has anything to do with induced shaft rotation.

To be clear, I am talking about a compound bow using adequately spined shafts using a release head that can rotate. A trad bow has to have shaft flex (archers paradox) so that shaft is purposely flex and no doubt some shaft twist is possible. Like a round ball shot from a smooth bore, that ball may have a physical tendency to rotate a certain direction, each being different. But as soon as you add rifling , round ball or bullet, that rotation is dictated.

I've watched a lot of videos of people trying to prove their theory or that it even exists and every one falls apart in the science department.

06-Aug-23
So much about nothing.

Top pros don’t worry about this….why should we?

I used to think the internet would put an end to these old wives tales like this and EFOC, Single Bevel BHs- but it only exacerbated the silliness with scammers trying to make a name for themselves….and making money from it. Modern day Snake oil.

06-Aug-23
Wapiti there is no way to know if the bareshaft rotated a quarter turn counter clockwise or 3/4 of a turn clock wise if you can't film the nock rotation.

Several of us ran through this process years ago.

06-Aug-23
I agree, "much to do about nothing"...8^)

Ambush - yeah, I'm finger shooting, but even with a mechanical release, it still touches the serving and rolls off a certain direction... Don't know what type mechanical releases folks use these days, but if can be, flip the release head around and see if rotation reverses...

Here is a little more info from my notes, as said though its been a long time since I crafted a bowstring:

"Twist the string in the direction that tightens the center serving...

String rotation has nothing to do with the initial arrow rotation but the serving direction does... Looking from above, clockwise serving induces a counterclockwise rotation on bareshaft arrows and vice versa... Right twist string/serving, left helical spin"

06-Aug-23
FYI … I’m in no means worried about this type of stuff … I just found it interesting. The arrow clearly rotates counter clockwise a turn and a 1/2 about then starts spinning clockwise.

Again doesn’t affect accuracy or flight…I’ll probably not think of it again till I’m at full draw on a grizzly bear in September…ha!

06-Aug-23
fdp, you can see it continually rotate with every subsequent arrow.

06-Aug-23
" The arrow clearly rotates counter clockwise a turn and a 1/2 about then starts spinning clockwise."

Mine changes direction at roughly 10 yards with 2.25 vanes.

06-Aug-23
I guess my question is; why do the results conflict with the inputs for different shooters?

If it is the serving, then why don't all shafts shot from same served strings rotate the same way? Same for if it's the bow or string.

You'd think with all the R&D from bow, string, shaft and fletch companies that someone seeking the edge would have come up with a definitive answer and marketed it. But none have. I doubt that Joe Average has discovered a great secret in his basement range.

Whats the original reason we have left and right wing helical?

06-Aug-23
Great to see this sort of “next level” thread. Hopefully we’ll have a Broadhead debate to follow. The good old days are right now.

06-Aug-23
I think clocking is an absolute waste of time. I tried it, no conceivable improvements in arrow flight or accuracy. Levi Morgan does it so many guys wanted to do it. But listen to Gillingham he doesn't even consider it, so who are you going to trust? I think most here are experienced successful bowhunters, use what has worked for you, because you most likely won't find anything that makes you better, pretty rare in my experience to find something that does.

06-Aug-23
Looking at Shugs 55 yard group. He is obviously a guy that sweats the minutiae. If you’re that good you’re now down to minuscule improvements. Because you’ve already knocked down the common issues.

06-Aug-23
Shug, the problem is you may have right wing helical fletching but your arrows identify as left wing helical, hence the unusual flight.

06-Aug-23
"The arrow clearly rotates counter clockwise a turn and a 1/2 about then starts spinning clockwise"

Shug curious, you know this how? Slow mo camera footage? If so do you have a link to footage, or does anybody have a video link to this happening, would like to see it...

"Whats the original reason we have left and right wing helical?" I suspect cavemen wanted to use both wings...8^)

06-Aug-23
"Wapiti there is no way to know if the bareshaft rotated a quarter turn counter clockwise or 3/4 of a turn clock wise if you can't film the nock rotation."

It is not difficult to shoot shafts at varying distances to determine the direction of rotation.

06-Aug-23
Z bone message me your email address I’ll send the video…

06-Aug-23
For fun try it with a aluminum shaft see if it spins left then right. Remember carbons are wrapped and almost all shafts have a heavy side. Water and floating shafts will find this .heavy side will be on bottom mark the top turn it let it float mark will be in same place. Fletch it the same way heavy side at 6:00.. compound should use a right wing why left can loosen and, unscrew the tip are broadhead with it fast rotation.

06-Aug-23
Wapiti I think we are talking about 2 different things. I'm talking about being able to yell which direction a bareshaft rotated. Not a fletched shaft.

06-Aug-23

Shug's Link
Not sure how well this will work… May not be able to see rotating without being able to scrub it for speed… The distance is 20 yards

06-Aug-23
I’ve seen several YouTube videos showing the rotation changing. For those who haven’t seen it a quick search should turn something up for you.

I tested mine once years ago when Randy Ulmer first brought this to light to the masses via his short segment on Bowhunter TV. (I think he ran out of useful info by that point…,)

I found my arrows naturally spun the opposite direction of my right helical jigs on both my longbow and compound and decided I didn’t want to buy new jigs and refletch my arrows so I left it as is. All I know is my bow and arrow combo is more accurate than I am so it’s another one of those things, along with FOC, I don’t give any consideration to when building arrows.

Aligning 3 blade broadheads with my 3 fletch is really where it’s at!!! ??

06-Aug-23
Tilz, I’m having trouble finding anything credible.

Anybody remember seeing the spoked wheels on the speeding Chuck wagons changing rotations in the western movies on tv?

06-Aug-23
Yes.^^^^ Optical illusion.

06-Aug-23
Is this flea sufficiently circumcised yet.

06-Aug-23
“ ….sufficiently circumcised yet.”

I asked a Dr once if he ever got tired of doing circumcisions. He said “ yes, but at least there’s a chance to get a head.”

06-Aug-23
Choking on a gnat, swallowing a camel.

06-Aug-23
"Shug, the problem is you may have right wing helical fletching, but your arrows identify as left wing helical, hence the unusual flight." LOL! (Says Dylan MulVANEy.)

06-Aug-23
Shug - sent you a private message...

06-Aug-23
I emailed ya

06-Aug-23
I emailed ya

06-Aug-23
Got you email Shug, but unfortunately my computer couldn't open... Thanks for trying...

06-Aug-23
As Zbone posted above. A bow that clocks left will have a clockwise rotation of the serving. A bow that clocks right will have a counterclockwise rotation of the serving. Roughly 90% of strings made are served with clockwise twist to the serving. It’s not hard to find which direction your bow/strings clock. Take a bare shaft and put a mark on it. Then shoot it at 6’ from the target. The arrow will have some rotation to it. My bare shaft will have made one revolution by the time it reaches 20 yards. You can track this rotation by shooting various distances from 6’ to 20 yards.

Dudley’s video shows that the vast majority of shooters can not tell the difference in there groups when shooting right helical fletched or left helical fletched arrows from the same bow.

There are some videos on YouTube of guys comparing right and left helical shot from the same bow. At 40 yards a left helical arrow shot from a bow that clocked left was up to 3 fps faster then a right helical arrow shot from the same bow.

06-Aug-23
I emailed ya

06-Aug-23
Dang. Be nice to have this much spare time on my hands to figure out arrow rotation...

06-Aug-23
Did Fred Bear, Ben Pearson, Pope or Young, or Swineheart ever get this question answered ?

06-Aug-23
Paige Pierce has a video out showing two different brand arrows clocking left with one and right with the other out of the same bow. Shot back to back. Not the string. It is how the carbon arrow is wrapped on the mandrel.

06-Aug-23
Sorry, fellas - I skipped right to the the bottom on this one.

If you’re talking about filming fletched arrows, IT IS AN ILLUSION. Go watch the Western of your choice and watch them thar wagon wheels “reverse direction” as the wagons accelerate from a stop.

You can see the same thing with spoked wheels on automobiles under the strobe effect of fluorescent street lights. Don’t even need a camera for that.

Those wheels are not reversing rotation, and neither are your arrows.

06-Aug-23

Michael's Link
Here is the link to the video Paige Pierce did on arrow clocking that Ironbow mentioned. Clearly there are other factors besides serving twist that I did not know about.

07-Aug-23
What's this have to do with politics?

07-Aug-23
Respectfully disagree, It’s not a strobe or optical illusion.

You make a mark at 12:00 on a bare shaft.

Shoot it at 5 yards note where the mark has moved to

Step back to 10 yards, shoot again and so on. The mark will move farther and farther around the clock. The same every time you do it.

Then with opposite fletching it will stop the spin and reverse it.

There is super slow video on this subject.

07-Aug-23

Altitude Sickness 's Link
WapitiBob posted this 3 yrs ago. You can turn the dramatic music down.

Now if it matters is up to you. Most say it doesn’t. But the rotation does stop and change direction when fletched opposite of bare shaft spin. At My skill level it most likely wouldn’t matter :>)))

07-Aug-23
When this all became the rage several years ago, I did extensive testing through paper with three different bows and several different arrows, both fletched and unfletched. That's not enough of a sample size to be scientifically conclusive but,... I could not find a common denominator that induced spin in one direction or another. Having my own string making jig, I was able to make strings twisted however I want and served however I want. No one factor was dominant enough to change rotation, except hand torque and the D-loop... If I death-gripped the bow, every shot was consistent. Consistently bad, but consistent in rotation.

Naturally, my own hunting setup out of a shooting machine had the least bare shaft rotation. In fact out of a half-dozen bare shafts, only one rotated at all, and that was about a quarter turn at 10 yards.

Oddly enough the one factor that had the most dramatic affect on bare shaft rotation out of a shooting machine was the D-Loop and how it was tied, and if I used a caliper release vs a hook/sear release.

In the end, this much to do about nothing. The only advantage to fletching in the rotation of your bare shaft is the potential confidence advantage it gives you between your ears.

The single biggest thing I learned new from this was that I have gone to aligning my front tip of fletch with the back tip of the one next to it. While looking from behind, the fletchings should not have a gap between them, nor should they overlap (broadhead arrows). This is by far the quietest orientation with regard to whistle in flight.

07-Aug-23
It’s an illusion? Some guys have the same view points and some have differing about the subject… and then there’s that comment completely out of left field making no sense whatsoever. Lol

07-Aug-23
I watched the vid Alt Sickness linked. That was a lot of shaft flex! I'd be very curious to see if nock indexing would change the outcome.

Using a shooting machine, like x-man, should determine where the tendency to rotate is induced. Shaft? String? Shooter? Shoot ten shafts a few times for a baseline. Then nock index each shaft in quarters and see if each shaft maintains its original rotation if any existed.

There has to be a cause and with so few variables it should be pretty easy to determine. And you'd think with all the money riding on "having the edge" it would be a done deal by now.

07-Aug-23
x-man, probably ten years ago or more, guys were showing up at the shoots with that staggered fletch configuration. It really looked "next level" and proponents claimed it gave them an accuracy edge. They were all straight fletched target arrows. I guess the advantage didn't hold out because neither did the fad.

07-Aug-23
This is NUTS! Never thought of it, but it seems crazy. The first question for me is how the string, which imparts a specific force on the arrow, which is massively in one direction, can induce spin in an entirely different direction. Next question, is it possible that the spine is really the key player? If the arrow oscillates, it's not likely only up down/left-right; that oscillation could induce a specific pattern of rotation... Then once the drag of the fletch starts to take over, and oscillation settles, the fletch-induced rotation dominates.

This is a really interesting thing to ponder, and I never have. It's been a really cool thread to read through!

07-Aug-23
I was part of the R&D team for PPG back in the day... when sales stagnate it becomes "priority" for companies to develop "new" technology in order to increase sales. The archery industry is not immune to that. Just think how many vanes and fletching jigs were sold because some guy in a magazine suggested staggering the vanes.. guess where that idea originated from? How many bought two dozen shafts instead of one dozen so they could "float" and cull shafts. How many buy "match-grade" shafts instead of cutting an inch off both ends to start with and making their own match-grade set?

It's all about the $$$ "Better archery through excessive spending" was the favorite saying at our archery club.

07-Aug-23
Will, Yes, spine plays a role. "Target" guys get the tightest groups with arrows that are longer and weaker than we would use for hunting with fixed broadheads. Almost all factory testing is done with field points so as to remove that "front wing" variable from the equation. With a "chart spine" out of a compound bow shot with a release, the arrow will oscillate mostly up an down. Having a front wing on the shaft will direct the arrow off line much like bending the nose on a paper airplane. For this reason "most" of us recommend a stiffer than "chart" spine for hunting arrows.

Clear as mud right?

07-Aug-23
It is interesting to see how much more quickly the arrow with the helical direction that matches the arrow’s natural spin direction goes through its first rotation versus the one fletched with the opposite direction. It is also interesting that the perceived benefit doesn’t translate in practice.

07-Aug-23
What’s also interesting is why don’t all the bow companies tell the string guys to twist and serve all the strings for right hand helical, if it’s actually a thing. Since right hand rotation tightens the broadhead on impact rather than loosening it.

07-Aug-23
Clear mud, X-man... But, yeah!

07-Aug-23
x-man, thanks for your service- ( grin)

Giving good advice to all of the avg wannabes for decades. ( include me in that)

I wonder; Does Levi claim this as a “Thing” to psych out all of his competitors andget them going down this rabbit hole?

I’ve seen some crazy stuff from competitive archers…

08-Aug-23
Bruce, You mentioned Levi Morgan. Well here is a video he has done on clocking arrows.

I am not sure if he put out the video to get in the competitions heads or lead the people he is trying to teach down a rabbit hole.

08-Aug-23

Michael's Link
Forgot the link.

08-Aug-23
So according to Levi, it's the shaft, not the string, serving, bow or shooter. hmmmm

08-Aug-23
He didn't say anything about the shaft, nor string twist nor serving, he just said the natural rotation, in which we were detailing earlier...

08-Aug-23
Zbone. He shoots and clocks all the shafts from the same bow then fletches each accordingly. So he’s getting lefts and right from the exact same set up. That leaves only the shafts and he talks about the “natural rotation of the shaft’”.

08-Aug-23
Ambush, Are you getting this info from the video I posted with Levi? If so I didn’t hear him mention anything about clocking every shaft. What he did mention was when he sets up at bow he will see which direction it will clock an arrow before he fletches his arrows.

When I think of clocking arrows there can be 2 things that are true. 1 - A bow/arrow will clock one way 2 - The average shooter (including myself) can not tell the difference in groups if a bow clocks one way but the arrow is fletched the other.

If it helps a shooters confidence and if they shoot better when they are confident. Why shouldn’t they do it?

08-Aug-23
Quote Micheal: "A bow that clocks left will have a clockwise rotation of the serving. A bow that clocks right will have a counterclockwise rotation of the serving."

Micheal, you stated this as a fact. A cause and effect like this would be very simple to prove or disprove, but nobody has. A vid link right after the Levi vid, from Precision Archery, has that guy clearly stating that he gets lefts and rights off the same bow. Levi cares (maybe) and Dudley doesn't.

What I can tell you for a fact is: a left hand helical will loosen your tip or broadhead. Would you rather do something that according to yourself, and so far everyone else, will make no difference to your accuracy but will be a detriment to your broadhead shaft connection, or keep that connection intact?

I'm definitely not telling you not to do anything. But you should expect to be challenged when you offer "facts' that don't seem to be supported in any provable way. Especially if it could so easily be done.

EDIT: Zbone, I watched the Levi vid again and you are correct, he does not say he clocks each arrow. But, in relation to serving or string twist being the cause, if all his strings and serving are twisted and wrapped the same way, why would he have to test each bow?

08-Aug-23
Ambush, if you tighten your FP’s and BH’s very well….or use a little rubber o ring that a lot of FP’s come with…..you’ll very very rarely have one that comes loose. I have had zero issues with that once I tighten down my BH’s with a proper BH wrench or use the little o rings. Zero issues.

08-Aug-23
..you’ll very very rarely have one that comes loose."

But wouldn't that "rare" one effect your confidence as well? And why not avoid that rare occurrence all together? As far as putting an o-ring between my broadhead and shaft, I wouldn't even consider it. I precision grind both ends of my shafts. When I screw that head down tight, it stays aligned.

08-Aug-23
Levi seems like a pretty good dude...and I made that statement not knowing the context of his claims on arrow rotation.

One thing I know for sure....the things some of these pros can discern.....don't mean a lick to the rest of us. A top pro friend- that you will all know- swears he can tell the difference between an arrow 8 grains different...and by the way he used to shoot at 100y- I believe him.

15g either way to the avg guy...nope, they can't tell.

08-Aug-23
Ambush, What did i state as fact? That the string and serving cause it? Yes I did state that because that was what I was taught. I then seen the video of a Paige Pierce proving that was wrong. My next post clarified this. Here is what I wrote after posting Paige’s video. “Here is the link to the video Paige Pierce did on arrow clocking that Ironbow mentioned. Clearly there are other factors besides serving twist that I did not know about.” So what exactly are you challenging?

As far as broad heads and field tips coming loose. I have had plenty of field tips come loose shooting right helical. As for broad heads I prefer to put something on them to prevent them from working loose no matter what helical I have on my arrows.

08-Aug-23
My apologies Michael for not seeing that in your following post.

What am I challenging? I guess the whole notion that this "force" cannot be tested for it's cause. I'm challenging the wisdom or purpose of fletching left hand helical if it has no physical benefits and does have one important detriment. I can see fletching a shaft to match a single bevel broadhead. But then again, why not just use a right rotating single bevel head to start with?

I'll ask you this and then I'll quit. I assume you fletch your shafts to match rotation? If so, what did you base that on? Are you going to re-evaluate that approach now? In other words, what do you believe causes a bare shaft to rotate?

08-Aug-23
I now check rotation every time I set up a bow and match the fletch to that rotation.

Does it make any difference? No clue. But logic dictates: why not keep it spinning with its natural rotation rather than allowing the arrow to change direction mid-flight?

08-Aug-23
I still would like to see slow mo video of an arrow changing rotation direction in mid flight....

08-Aug-23

Coondog's Link
Zbone here’s one for you. Zoom in on the arrow. Starts spinning left, then switches to right when the fletching helical takes over.

08-Aug-23

Coondog's Link
Another really good one in super slow mo.

08-Aug-23
Ambush, let me clarify. I’ve never had a FP or BH come loose - because I tighten them down with so tight, they can’t come loose. I just didn’t want some guy on here to call me out by saying I said “never”. Lol

I fletch my all my arrows the way they want to naturally spin on a bare shaft. Has it improved my groups….probably. Like Pat said….Why wouldn’t you do it? It only makes sense. ;)

08-Aug-23
Ambush,

I don’t know what causes this action after seeing Paige’s video and reading what X man has posted. It’s obvious it’s not serving direction I once thought.

No I don’t fletch my own shafts these days. I used to a number of years ago and when I did it was always right offset. Purely because that is what the jig I bought was.

Now days out of the 4 dozen shafts I have. Half are left helical and half are right helical. I did not choose the left helical. I took some shafts in to get refetched. At the time I did not know this particular shop only did left helical.

This is how I realized it didn’t matter what direction they spun. I wasn’t good enough of a shot to tell the difference. When I was on they both were on. When I was off they both were off.

The bow I shoot now clocks left though with Easton Axis 300 spine arrows.

08-Aug-23
One of the videos above shows aluminum arrows clocking a certain direction so apparently the direction a carbon shaft is wrapped might not be the driver.

I think it might be a very minute string angle that’s induced during the shot. It seems as if any number of things could create a tiny string angle at the nock including the way the loop is tied, release torque, grip torque, etc.

It sure doesn’t seem like it’d take much more than micro-angled on the string at the nock coming back to perfectly vertical during the power stroke to get an arrow spinning a little bit one direction or the other.

In my case I tested one of my bows years ago and it was clocking the opposite direction I had my arrows fletched and rather than reflecting I decided it didn’t matter.

08-Aug-23
Okay coondog, notice the bare shaft spins CCW, left wing (it's natural rotation) ... The right helical doesn't spin clockwise until the helical takes over, and then the left helical starts rotating CCW (natural rotation) right off the string... And I betja the serving had a clockwise twist looking down from above, perfect example of what I was exactly trying to explain...

08-Aug-23
Wanted to add, I know it's confusing and why I save note years ago when I was crafting bowstrings... I'm right handed, and crafted my bowstrings and serving twisted clockwise looking from top limb above, looking down, and shooting left wing (left helical) feathers...

08-Aug-23
I personally don’t know why arrows clock one way or the other I use a bitz and have both clamps just so happens I’ve been fletching everything left for years with great results and my arrows clock left why change it, fields points coming loose easily fixed with bowstring wax on the threads, as for broadheads a small drop of hot melt cures that, if I was so damn good it didn’t matter I wouldn’t be on bow sight looking for tips, but I’m trying to squeeze every last drop of accuracy out of my setup possible , that’s why I tinker and do the things I do

08-Aug-23
Also wanted to add - I still have some bowstring material left, but never crafted them to sell or anything, just made them to experiment with my bows... I got over it... Anyhow am kind of a collector of stickbows and probably acquired a dozen or so since buying and trading and a few acquired didn't have the correct length so bought some off fellow LeatherWallers and now that think about it haven't looked or paid any attention to the direction to the strings/servering twist, was only concerned with the length... That's how little I personally think and as other have said it means... But if shooting in the Olympics I'd make sure it was right though...

Haven't been to a bowshoot in years, but maybe if I was shooting competitively I'd make my own again, but don't see that happening, although a buddy invited me to a traditional shoot Sunday in Akron and think I might go... Dang, now am gonna have to look at the string on the bow I'm taking...8^))) Nah, I won't shoot for score, but if it's really bad, I'm gonna blame it on the bowstring...8^)))

09-Aug-23
I haven't read the whole thread but this is probably about 375th on the list of things to worry about.

09-Aug-23
I agree, 375th out of the top 374...

I exhausted every possible cause and affect that I could think of and determined it was not the best use of my time, in hindsight.

BTW, my string jig is collecting dust in my basement. For $20 and a pre-paid shipping box, I'll send that to anyone willing to give string making a try. I have decided to make better use of my time and just buy strings from my neighbors at VaporTrail from now on.

09-Aug-23
I will say this to those who say they set their equipment up according to this now... If all 12 shafts in a dozen are clocking the same way, It's probably YOU not the bow, not the arrow. In my testing from a shooting machine I would get a few shafts to clock left, a few to clock right, and a few that didn't clock at all. Three different bows(again, not a large sample size).

The only "cause" I am comfortable saying IS the cause is torque. Now, there are several causes of torque....

My hypothesis would be that in a perfect situation using a bow with a shoot-thru cam/cable system. Top-shelf nocks and a good torque-free release, shafts would not clock at all, no matter the string construction, no matter the arrow material.

09-Aug-23
^^^^. yup.

Spend the time improving yourself. The equipment is probably fine. Once you have a stiff arrow flying straight, the rest is up to the Indian.

09-Aug-23
Interesting topic for sure. I've never clocked, shoot right helical. Through this whole conversation I've been thinking, is it the nocks? Depending on how it clicks off the string at the shot, that causes the rotation?

09-Aug-23
Way…..way down the list of things I worry about :)

09-Aug-23
It's not rocket science. When you view a bow from behind in super slo-mo, the string isn't always perfectly plumb with the riser when the nock leaves the string. A string that is slightly / will clock right and a string that is slightly \ will clock left. A well made and tuned bow out of a shooting machine will have a string angle more like a " l ".

It's torque but, that torque could be caused by any one of a dozen things...

09-Aug-23
Not that anyone probably cares but,... I never trust a target to show me bare shaft results. I don't care what the arrow does once the point hits the target. I want to know what's happening in flight. Paper is 99% as good as a high speed camera. a little lipstick on the thumb tab of the nock will make a nice mark on the paper hole. ;)

09-Aug-23
X-man... When I looked at the vid that someone posted above, am I correct that the arrow barely moves one way at all before starting to find it's way towards what the fletch is set to do? It looked like so little movement, that it's hard for me to grasp how impactful it is to change fletching... for most people. I can imagine a tourney archer would be able to perhaps see a difference. But for the average hunter who shoots... Man, it seems like that level of granularity is not changing a heck of a lot.

Am I crazy, or am I crazy not to start trying to figure this out on my bow?

09-Aug-23
Not Crazy. Even the top pro shooters can't tell the difference.

It's one of those things that "once you know about it, it's hard to let it go mentally" . I did it for a while (only on my fixed blade hunting arrows) just for the sake of saying I did it. I already had all of the equipment, and I made custom arrows for a living so it wasn't an inconvenience for me. But totally 100% unnecessary. Your time is better spent shooting quality practice sessions.

Can I just go on record saying thank you all, for contributing to a thread enough to get over 100 posts. And it's not even a political pissing match.

09-Aug-23

TREESTANDWOLF's Link
Thx X Man for that last paragraph.

Another Dudley on point, point. I have to agree, the benefits are negligible.

09-Aug-23
XMan, thanks for all your data that you’ve provided on this and multiple other posts. The torque thing is interesting….but I’ve had arrows clock one way on one bowstring, then change the strings and cables and immediately have them clock the opposite way. Cool stuff for sure!

10-Aug-23
I don't doubt your experiences Blood. My point that I am trying to make (I'm not a writer so I never have been good at typing what I really want to convey) there are several legitimate potential reasons for a bow string to torque(twist) the arrow's nock one direction or another.

If your serving is applied poorly or under too much or too little string tension(ideally 10# more than peak draw weight). If the string is not plumb with the riser. If the string touches more than just the tip of your nose. If you're using the string loop to align your peep. If one knot is more to the side than the other on your loop. If you are twisting the loop at all at full draw. If there is too much pressure pinching the nock at full draw. If there is a small flaw in the nock itself. Hand torque.... these are just the ones I could remember off the top of my head that all can make the bare shaft clock one way or the other when I changed only that variable. Looking back, I'd say one of my biggest Ah-Ha moments was the string tension while applying the center serving. Not that it makes me shoot better, but, my string and serving each last longer when I reserve under the proper tension. Too many string makers use too much tension, and too many local shops just serve under the tension of the string on the bow. Neither of which is "wrong" but not optimal.

I'm not a bow hunter turned archery nerd. and I'm not a world-class target guy turned archery nerd. I'm a science and engineer guy turned archery nerd, which I believe has given me a different perspective than most. Not that that makes me wright or wrong, just different.

15-Aug-23

Zbone's Link
For Levi Moran fans, video link he says he fletches left helical because his arrows natural rotation is left off most his bow and believes because of string twist.... Go the 8:53 mark:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1E7oH9Y-MM

15-Aug-23
DAD!!! Get the stick!! That horse is twitching again!

15-Aug-23
Nobody will ever deny Levi's shooting ability. He says it himself, he "thinks" and "believes" it's because of the string twist. John says he prefers his arrow to not rotate until it stops flexing. The "experts" agree to disagree on the benefits.

I am more inclined to believe it is due to Levi's shooting style. I know of lots of great race car drivers that don't know squat about auto mechanics. Having the God-Given ability to hold steady and judge yardage doesn't automatically make one a bow engineer.

I also know now that I can take the same bow and same string and same arrow, and manipulate it to clock either left or right. Even knowing that, I cannot narrow it down to any one specific cause, because there are many.

In Levi's case, It's very likely one of three things: hand torque/position, slight side pressure of the string, or the way he ties his string loop, or maybe all of them. He's a creature of habit which is why he gets the same results from nearly every bow.

P.S. This has been beaten to death but,... it's still better than political threads. :)

15-Aug-23
X - cool stuff, thanks! Totally random, but I opened youtube yesterday and this video was provided to me via Lancaster Archery. Weird timing. The test, stinks. They basically took two different arrows with different fletch - one left and one right and didnt do any thing to compare like to like for example or control for variables. But it's interesting relative to the rest of this conversation:

15-Aug-23
Interesting video for sure. I could also tell which guys were taking care of their sponsors in their comments. Ironically enough, Tac and Blazers are the leading choices when you ask LAS for assistance in building your custom arrows...

I also noticed fletch contact with the Blazers in a couple of those slo-mo shots...

15-Aug-23
ambush - The reason I posted again is because earlier mention of Levi Morgan and when I opened youtube his video popped up (happens when previous searches are done) and I watched it confirming what I said in the beginning learned years ago building strings and string twist causes natural rotation...

Made my point, the horse is dead, I'll shut up now for you ambush...

15-Aug-23
That's Ok Zbone, you don't have to shut up for me. I can just as easy quit reading ;)

But you're right back to saying that the most easily provable cause is the string/serving. That would be a simple matter of a few experiments, but no one has done it. Not Mathews or Hoyt, not Levi or Dudley nor any other person or company that makes archery gear. Don't you think that with all the combined R&D and engineering power of all the bow and tackle manufacturers that it would have done that by now? Or maybe by the guys that make their living hitting X after X. Why not? Why doesn't some one offer bows that are stringed and served for your prefered rotation? Be a great sales edge!

If a person is shooting fingers, you could make a bare shaft clock whichever way you want simply by torquing the string one way or the other.

Now I'll shut up for you Zbone. :)

16-Aug-23
I don’t think it’s string or serving twist, the mechanics simply don’t work. I’m with X-Man that some sort of very slight string angle is being created at or near the nock either by the shooter via torque, the loop, release, bow tune, or all of the above.

16-Aug-23
Just me, but Ambush’s post about the stick was the best laugh I’ve had in weeks, so thanks to both of you….

I just don’t get the whole argument about arrows reversing the direction of their rotation…

Because firstly, wagon wheels in old westerns always appear to reverse rotation, when we know that they absolutely do not.

Secondly, if an arrow is fletched to rotate the arrow clockwise, you would have to document the shaft spinning counterclockwise to start with, no? Because the fletchings are always there, always forcing spin in one direction, not just a one-time impulse, so fletching influence will certainly have to win out eventually; it just seems improbable that the fletchings would be overpowered coming off the bow when their influence should be at the maximum because that’s when speed is highest.

On the other hand, nock & string are solid media, so OK, that’s more forceful than drag…. But shouldn’t the spin-inducing upset in the string be visible on high-speed film?

Just seems like the whole question could be resolved pretty quickly with a fast enough frame rate…. But to Ambush’s point… if it’s not 100% predictable or controllable from one shot to the next, it’s kind of a moot point….

And FWIW, I’m enjoying X-man’s efforts. The easiest way to get a teenager/college kid to talk to you is to ask an intelligent question about a subject they know a lot about, and the tech review here helps me do that with Thing One….

16-Aug-23
ambush - I get it you don't believe or agree with me, but figured after your boy Levi Morgan said string/serving twist causes natural rotation you might believe it then... I could care less, the point I was trying to make it's been written down for eons string serving twist (heck, I even provided a diagram from years ago) causes natural rotation and it just seems modern day bowshooters are just uninformed, heck even the so-called experts in the videos didn't get it... They're scratching their heads why some rotate left, and some right... Knock, knock, hello... Serving is the last thing that makes contact with the nock, even with D-loops...

As said above, it's no biggie but if I were an Olympic shooter or caliber of competition shooter as Mr. Morgan, would make sure my string serving was correct... Doesn't make ever Joe-Smo bowhunter go out and buy another bowstring, but if it bothers them, only re-served is needed, and if that serving is opposite of the string material twist, it'll work fine but may eventually loosen... Depending on the setup, but if compound likely easier to change arrows or re-fletch to the natural rotation helical if a perfectionist...

Okay, now I'm done, I just killed this horse...8^))) I used a 700 grain shaft with a single bevel 2-blade, left wing feathers, clockwise twist serving out of a 49# longbow... Got complete penetration through both scapulas...8^))))))

16-Aug-23
A few corrections:

I think you DO care if I believe you, but you are correct, I don’t.

Levi is not “my boy”

Levi didn’t say it WAS the serving, just suggested it “ maybe, could might have something to do with it”. If he thought it did, he ( and anybody else that cared) would simply have five left strings and five right strings made for the same bow, shoot them and either prove or disprove the theory.

Something being wrote down years ago by some obscure person and passed along doesn’t make it true. Kinda like people used to believe that a spike buck was one year old, a fork was two years old , etc.

Left hand fletching came about because it gave the hunter two wings to get fletching from. It was economics, pure and simple. Then those same economics came into play when fletching jigs were built and sold. Tradition and religion evolve very slowly and when the two are combined it’s slower than the glaciers melting and the mastodons following the retreat.

Let me know when you get those ten strings built.

16-Aug-23

Zbone's embedded Photo
Zbone's embedded Photo
Zbone's embedded Photo
Zbone's embedded Photo
Man ambush, can't believe you drag me back to this dead horse...8^)))

I DON"T care, bet you didn't pay attention in the classroom neither... Go back and read my posts,,, yes left and right wings were probably used since the stone age because of their availability...

You brought up Mr. Morgan...

If those guys scratching their heads with the super slow-mo cameras would have paid attention to the serving twist, they likely could have confirmed natural rotation with a bow vise machine (can't remember what it's call) and a D-loop, but that seemed to past them by... They had a perfect opportunity with those cameras to do so... If I'm wrong and along with all those string crafters before me, I'll stand to be corrected...

As said, I'm over my bowyery/bowstring crafting phase since the 80's and 90's, even took a course from Dave Gutherie of Appalachian Archery around 1993, it's been 30 years now and can't remember how I learned it, or maybe from Jay Massey's "Art of Bowyery", regardless I took notes and shared them here...

The art of archery is being lost to technology with arrow shooting devices, but regardless of stickbow or compound, the arrow is a projectile propeled by a string and there are some smart guys over on the LeatherWall highly experienced who I'm sure will too confirm it's serving twist... Again, the center serving is the last thing to contact the nock creating the rotation...

Photos attached is detailed twist of bottom tip of my current hunting bow's string custom crafted by a gentleman who called them Mountain Mufflers... It is the second such string on that bow, and I don't believe he creates them any longer, but personally I will not be building any more strings... I'm over it...

Okay, this dead horse is now starting to smell, and I will not return,,, I swear this time...8^)

16-Aug-23
Having done zero testing of my own, I've always been inclined to agree with Ambush (8/6 post). I doubt that I'll ever be a good enough shooter for it to make a difference.

Zbone's post from 8/6 made me laugh. Many years ago I shot a bare shaft with a fixed-blade broadhead from my compound. It flew every direction except back at me (thankfully). I'll never do that again...lol.

• Sitka Gear