Beendare 11-Aug-23
Lewis 11-Aug-23
fisherick 11-Aug-23
nchunter 12-Aug-23
Sivart 14-Aug-23
mtnlvr 17-Aug-23
Matt 17-Aug-23
09-Aug-23
How do I do a search on Bowsite? I know I saw a topic on how to dilute permethrin to spray on my clothes but I can't figure out how to search. I looked at buying a 36.8% solution but it said it was not to be used on clothes. Anybody have a good formula? I heard it was going to be bad tick year. Thanks.

09-Aug-23

fdp's Link
There's actually lots of information available on how to get this done.

09-Aug-23

fdp's Link

09-Aug-23
Here is what I have been doing for around 25 years and it was Sawyers formula that they marketed until they got into the spray cans. I use roughly 7-8 ounces of 13.5 percent permethrin to a gallon of water put in a hand sprayer lay my clothes out and spray them and get them pretty wet not completely soaked then I hang them out and let them dry.Don’t wear them until they are dry after that you are good to go for the year and yes they will last through several washings.Good luck Lewis

09-Aug-23

Lewis 's embedded Photo
Lewis 's embedded Photo
The original and none of us glow in the dark Lewis

09-Aug-23
You want it to be diluted .5% so simple math from there.

If it is 36.8% you put about 3.5 oz per gallon of water.

If you put one oz of that in a quart you be pretty darn close as well. Just a slightly over the .5%. Technically it would be one oz per 36.6 oz of water. You be fine with 1 oz to a quart/32 oz.

09-Aug-23
If you buy the concentrate to mix it yourself, make sure it is water based, NOT oil based. I made that mistake. The oil based stinks pretty bad long after it dries. The water based has no smell after it dries.

09-Aug-23
My opinion - carefully handling permethrin for treating clothes is better than tick exposure. However, I do not think the safety data on pesticides/herbicides and dermal adsorption is very reliable across the board. The issues they can create are years in the making and difficult to correlate to the exposures. There is a reason one of the first questions neurologists often ask patients is "have you had much exposure to pesticides?"

09-Aug-23
The stuff I bought at Tractor Supply is 10% solution. So to dilute that to the recommended.5 percent you mix 1 oz to 19 oz of water in a spray bottle. Shake before use.

In addition to killing ticks, it seems to keep most other bugs at bay also. I see a lot less mosquitoes and black flies on stand when my clothes are treated.

10-Aug-23
Good info, Thanks!

10-Aug-23
Very good thread/post that stuff works. Ticks are bad on my property today and that stuff works every time to keep them off.

10-Aug-23
More important than your weapon in turkey season.Works great on chiggers also.

11-Aug-23
I do as Lewis does.

I think many folks have the attitude with weed spray and this type of product, “ If a little is good, more is better”

I can tell you the .5% or less is more than sufficient. I’ve sprayed a set of clothes for drop camp hunts in the swamps of Alaska early season with literal clouds of mosquitos-I have come away with one bite. In fact, I think it lowered the skeeter population at camp after a couple days. You can watch hoards of skeeters landing on your sleeve and falling off dead.

11-Aug-23
I grew up in South Florida and in Tennessee and the skeeters during deer and turkey season are insane. By treating my clothes plus the thermacell all is good I have watched the little bastards die on my clothes. The ticks on the Cumberland Plateau horrible along with the chiggers the treated clothes are absolutely needed before I would be covered up with seed ticks and they absolutely cause a lot of discomfort.A old acquaintance came by a couple of days ago and I barely recognized him.He was suffering from three tick illnesses including the red meat allergies which almost killed him He has been hospitalized several times and cannot even eat any food that has been cooked together or close to red meat.Good luck out there and stay safe Lewis

11-Aug-23
Same as mpdh.

12-Aug-23
I guess I'm lazy. I buy about 4 cans of sawyers a year and it does a great job at keeping ticks off of me. I got one deer tick on the back of my arm 10 years ago and now I spray and soak all of my clothes now that I plan to go into the woods with.

14-Aug-23
I tryed the Sawyer Permetherin spray this weekend on a scouting trip. For some reason, it didn't keep the skeeters off of me? Prob going back to deet.

17-Aug-23
Maybe this was already asked, but if permethrin isn't good for skin contact until it dries, how about when you sweat or when it rains? Does it make it "unsafe" again until your clothes dry out?

17-Aug-23

Matt's Link
Another Bowsiter provided this link to me, a very informative read on Permethrin which got me much more comfortable with its use.

• Sitka Gear