JohnMC 14-Aug-23
t-roy 14-Aug-23
JohnMC 14-Aug-23
WhattheFOC 15-Aug-23
Nick Muche 15-Aug-23
Who Cares 15-Aug-23
WhattheFOC 15-Aug-23
11-Aug-23
I’ve always set my rangefinder in yards, but since I started doing some target events that are in meters, I switched my rangefinder from yards to meters. It just donned on me that the tapes that came with this US built HHA Ryz must all be in yards.

Anyone know where I can buy some metric sight tapes? I checked with HHA and they just laughed at me. With elk season just a couple weeks away, maybe I should I convert my rangefinder back to yards?

11-Aug-23
Did you try Lancaster Archery ?

11-Aug-23
I am not sure tapes are either. You match them to your bow. Either you use one of many that comes with sight. Or build with software.

11-Aug-23
I haven’t shot an RYZ but as JohnMC said it shouldn’t matter. They are numerical tapes built to the trajectory that calibrates to what you are shooting. Sight in at 20 meters and 60 meters. Use the site tape number that it says to use. At least that is how I did the king pin and tetra sites I have used.

11-Aug-23
Why'd you switch from yds to meters? If you're using a rangefinder for a target event, it doesn't matter what the target is posted at...

12-Aug-23
Since a meter is about ten percent longer than a yard, use a sight tape that's rated about ten percent slower than your bow.

12-Aug-23
Sight in using meters and it’s good to go

12-Aug-23
This reminds me of when Canada went metric back in the 70’s. We had to move all our grid roads from being a mile apart to a km apart.

12-Aug-23
Canadian land is still measured in sections. A section is a mile by a mile. Some things should not be changed.

70 meters is 77 yards 60 meters is 66 yards 80 meters is 88 yards

Just add 10% to the meters to arrive at yards. Almost perfect conversion.

12-Aug-23
If you want to be more precise, ask a surveyor and he'll tell you that a meter is 3.280833 feet ;-)

12-Aug-23
I make my tapes. White electric tape cut to width. With a fine tipped marker I make long hash mark at 10 yard & short hash at 5 yard increments.

13-Aug-23
I just remembered that my bow is rated in fps, so I’m going to have to switch my rangefinder back to yards. LOL

13-Aug-23
What if your yard is twenty meters square?

14-Aug-23
and what if my elk stands at 30 yards instead of 30 meters??

14-Aug-23
In that case, it should not matter. You would misjudge by 7 yards….and at that distance, you might be 2”-3”low. Not even a concern for a kill shot on that elk.

14-Aug-23

DanaC's Link
Really, the instructions for using the tapes provided with your sight should work just as well if you get your settings at 20 and 60 yards or meters.

14-Aug-23
I don't think it matters what your bow is rated at. (If it did easy math to covert to meters.) You need the speed your bow is shooting your arrow, weight of arrow, draw length, which fletching, which sight, and few other things to make sight tape with software. Or the gap between 20 and 60 yards/meters to use tapes that comes with most sights.

14-Aug-23
Does barometric pressure or moon phase come into play at all?

14-Aug-23
No Troy but humidity and latitude are important

15-Aug-23
Now we’re talkin’ … moon phase and humidity are the kind of answers I was looking for.

… sorry for pulling your leg.

Getting a little antsy. Sep 1 is closing in.

15-Aug-23
"but since I started doing some target events that are in meters, I switched my rangefinder from yards to meters"

I am confused by this, if you are using a rangefinder, why would you change anything just because the archery shoot is using meters? Do they not allow you to use a RF and you're just shooting off the posted meters?

15-Aug-23
You guys are totally forgetting climate change effects...

15-Aug-23
Nick - if you’re hunting moose in AK, you should have your rangefinder set in yards. But in the Yukon… you have to range in meters. Justin said so.

• Sitka Gear