Basil 21-Aug-23
M.Pauls 21-Aug-23
Brotsky 21-Aug-23
fdp 04-Sep-23
Fuzz 05-Sep-23
14-Aug-23

JTreeman's embedded Photo
I had a few guys ask about gear I used on my sheep hunt from the other thread, and I’ve helped a couple other guys with gear this year too. So I thought this might be a helpful thread for some guys and just fun for gear guys. It seems like a bunch of $, but I don’t think I bought a single thing for this hunt other than broadheads. It’s more of an accumulation over the last few years.

I am going to try to list every single thin in my pack and on my person. It may get a bit tedious and boring so if it’s not your thing I certainly understand. I’m gonna list brand/model where I can. But that is obviously my personal liking, your preferences may differ. I’m open to suggestions for upgrades on most items as well.

I am not going to weigh every single item (too tedious even for me) but will try to include pics of every item. I will also include a total weight of my pack and some bigger items.

This is the basic list of stuff I’ve used the last 4-5 years on several mountain hunts, so I feel that it is pretty refined and proven at least in my mind.

—Jim

14-Aug-23
This should be a very useful thread.

14-Aug-23

I’ll start with my bow stuff. Obviously we will all be differ and all over the place on this, but this is mine.

Bowtech Solution SS (comfort mods) 28” 68lbs. Hamskea Trinity rest, tight spot quiver (short “tree stand” model, bee stinger counter slide hex stabilizer, Option Archery Canyon Pounder 3/1 pin sight, Specialty Archery verifier peep, Gas strings/cables.

Day Six HD 350 arrows with their Centeic in/outsert system. Sevr titanium 2.0 heads.

Also I feel that a sting cover is a requirement for this kind of hunt. I like the Kuiu, simple and light weight, but provides decent protection.

—Jim

14-Aug-23

Chest rig: Marsupial gear bino harness with rang finder pouch with tether.

Swarovski NL 10x42, Sig Kilo 1600 BDX range finder, wind checker, predator call. In front zipper I carry a wrench for the verifier peep, extra lens, q-tip cleaners for verifier peep, and a spare range finder battery.

I generally don’t carry a spotter/tripod on these trips, I simply can’t handle the extra weight, and guide usually has one.

—Jim

14-Aug-23

Boots are Crispi Nevada, they have a bunch of mountain miles on them and still look pretty dang good. Insoles are Powerstep. The trekking poles are Leki Carbon Black Series.

Not shown here are gaiters, which are imperative IMO. I really like Kuiu Kutana gaiters. Not shown here because I gave them to my guide when I left the last hunt.

—Jim

14-Aug-23

Front pant pocket: Stan Perfex release. And a little mini havalon type knife from amazon. Only takes the smaller caping type blades, not the standard 60x blades. Super light and useful, I feel naked without some kind of knife in my pocket.

—Jim

14-Aug-23

Cap is Kuiu Flexfit air mesh I think.

Belt is Stone Glacier. Also great for travel, can wear it right through security at airports.

—Jim

14-Aug-23

This is what I generally wear for the hike in (assuming weather appropriate)

Kuiu Attack pants, Kuiu 125 merino short sleeve, Kuiu merino 145 long sleeve with hood, Crispi hiking socks. And my daily wear boxer/brief are Deluth.

14-Aug-23

My pack is a Stone Glacier Sky Talus 6900 with the Xcurve frame, hydration lid, and water bottle holder on belt.

Everything from here on is in my pack.

—Jim

14-Aug-23

I use a variety of bags and pouches for organization and waterproof storage. The white ones are Stone Glacier and sorta integrated for the pack. The green are Kifaru pull-outs. The orange is Kuiu and are my favorite mainly because of the waterproof zipper. Also a roll top Kuiu dry bag that I keep clothes in.

The small black pouch is a Stone Glacier rain fly for the pack. It was simply too small with the bow on the pack. Virtually unusable, will defiantly be upgrading that. My fault for not trying it out a little more throughly before heading out. The green pad is just a cheap pad from Amazon, nice for sitting on or kneeling at the tent door etc. cheap, light, useful.

—Jim

14-Aug-23
Jim may have to take a break from this thread. He’s been blocked for posting a cuss word ;)

14-Aug-23

That was weird. I got blocks for a minute there. See if I can keep it between the lines from here on.

In the lid a couple misc things. Sun glasses, old man reading glasses (yeah, it sucks), one pair hand warmers just in case. Inreach mini.

—jim

14-Aug-23
Thanks for sharing...

14-Aug-23

The all important bathroom bag. One roll TP, one pack wipes, baby powder

—Jim

14-Aug-23

Water/drink stuff. One Nalgene bottle, one palatapus water flask (1liter), 16 Oz Gatorade bottle (for drink mixes). Small cup for hot chocolate (no coffee for me) and oatmeal. Also not shown a long handle titanium spoon (specifically for freezdried meals)

I take a variety of drink mixes. Some hot cocoa mix. Some wilderness athlete hydrate and recover, emergen-c, tang, and sometimes some other varieties. We used no filters in this trip, straight from the mountain.

Few 5hr energy for those long hard days. And a variety of energy gels, specifically GU and Honey Stinger.

—Jim

14-Aug-23

In this pull-out pouch I have a Anker charger (10,000 mAh). Some short cords for various devices (iPhone/inreach). I have misc Allen wrenches. String wax, serving, d-loop material, razor blade, launcher for rest, super glue, cable for rest and clamps for that cable.

—Jim

14-Aug-23

Basic hygiene stuff. Pretty self explanatory. Hair brush for The Mullet Of Death, mini deodorant. LOTS of Advil.

The important one here is the roll of Leuko tape, best stuff for taping feet for blister hands down. I usually start with some in my heels before we take the first step.

—Jim

14-Aug-23

This is my main gear pouch that I always have with me, I switch it between packs for any hunt. Contents always stay the same. Lots of good stuff in this one.

Extra release (very important), Zebra head lamp, Zebra hand held light (not sure the exact model on either), extra batteries, Havalon and blades, lighter, short flagging tape (use TP for most tracking, but this piece is more for marking the down animal or something like that), the small gray case is foldable reading glasses, extra wind checker, some small game heads/broadheads/fieldpoints/nocks, lens wipes, some metal twisty tie thingies (nite Ize is the brand I think), small cell phone tripod and holder with Bluetooth remote.

—Jim

14-Aug-23
Sleep system: Western Mountaineering Versalite 10° (too much for this hunt, but I’m always afraid of cold).

Pad is Thermarest Xtherm, the inflatable pillow is sea to summit. Both very good IMO.

The compression bag is a Kifaru, its size medium I think. I love the compression, bur have some reservation as the top is still just a little bit open (doesn’t seal) About the worst thing that can happen is a wet bag…

—Jim

14-Aug-23

Forgot the pic for the above post…

—Jim

14-Aug-23
Sleeping bag and its weight/temp rating ?

Sleeping pad?

Looking to upgrade mine for my goat hunt .

14-Aug-23

In this pouch I have a Kuiu Proximity Beenie, their original gloves (can’t remember the name), some Kuiu Jersey type gloves, and a light weight merino neck gaiter.

Not sure I used any of this stuff at all except the beenie. But wouldn’t leave any of it behind either.

—Jim

14-Aug-23

Kuiu Axis jacket and Axis vest. I really like the Axis jacket for all round use, very versatile IMO.

I would consider leaving the vest out and replacing it with a light weight sweater option. Possibly Kuiu Pelton 230 or something.

—Jim

14-Aug-23

Down puffy stuff. Kuiu super down jacket with hood. The standard one, not the Pro. Kuiu down pants. Both absolute necessities for me.

I keep the jacket in the Kifaru pouch for quick access and some water repellently. The pants I generally keep in the dry bag with the rest of my clothes.

—Jim

14-Aug-23

Extra merino 145 short sleeve t-shirt, merino 125 long sleeve shirt, and an older Kuiu merino/poly blend shirt, 230 weight I think. All in a dry bag.

—Jim

14-Aug-23

Long Johns are Kuiu merino light weight (125 maybe?), love the zip on/off feature. Not super warm, but enough for me in august, sept I would probably go a bit heavier.

Extra socks, this particular ones are darn tough heavy weight hikers (black ones) the other 2 are Kuiu one pair light hiker, the other the heavier model. I only wore the light Kuiu and the Crispis I hiked i with for the full 13 days.

2 extra pairs of under wear. Swapped one mid trip and kept one in reserve.

—Jim

14-Aug-23
I also take 3 extra arrows lashed together in my pack.

That is pretty much ever single item I took. My guide usually has a jet boil and carries one fuel canister and I carry one. On my recent sheep hunt my guide also carried a 3 man dome tent, and we shared it. Helps me with weight and he is a good tent mate. I believe this year we used a Marmot Tungsten UL3. It was OK but not great.

—Jim

14-Aug-23

For food on the most recent sheep hunt my outfitter provided this as a daily package. We had 13 to start I think. Plus I had 6 freeze dried breakfast meals.

They were all basically the same with some variety of bars and flavors etc. I took a few small snacks including gels and drink mixes with me. This was actually way more than I needed on this trip and dumped a lot about 1/2 way though.

—Jim

14-Aug-23

Final product fully loaded with 13 days of food and full water. Don’t think I could fit much if any more in this pack.

Only thing I know I forgot was chap stick. And when I got my hunting watch out the battery was dead, so left that at home too. Neither a major loss to me…

—Jim

14-Aug-23
Quinn, the Versalite is a 10 Degree, 2lb bag, very nice sleeping bag, I've been using one since 2012 I think. It's down, so extra precaution is needed. That said, this past weekend while Mountain Goat hunting, my tent blew up in a hurricane (not really but I'd guess 50-60mph winds) while I was out hunting and my bag was soaked.... I slept in it and was ok after a few hours.

14-Aug-23

I didn’t weigh every piece, but I did weigh the total pack with all I took and a few other key items.

Pack (fully loaded with gear) 29.5, Food 1.5 /day, 6 breakfast - 3lbs (total), Bow 7.25, Water 4.5, Bino rig 3.5

69-70 pounds total (including bino harness and depending on specific food stuff) plus what I’m wearing. That is pretty much all the weight I can handle for more than one day. I could suck up a bit more to pack a sheep out, but would have to dump a bunch of food if we killed first few days. And it would be pretty slow going ;)

That is pretty much literally everything I took to a T, I don’t know what I would take additional or leave out other than the couple things I noted above. It all works pretty well for me, but all suggestions, constructive criticism, and questions are welcome.

—Jim

15-Aug-23
Looks pretty tight. Not sure about the hair brush. Is that for you or trophy photos?

15-Aug-23
Very good breakdown. Not Kota-man good, but close. I didn’t see any para-cord on your list (unless I missed it) ?

15-Aug-23
No tent, no spotting scope, no tripod, no game bags!? What up with that JT!?

15-Aug-23
Nick, good call on the game bags, I do carry one and a contractor bag.

Like is said I split the tent with my partner.

I will never be hunting the mountains without a guide (a function of my Oklahoma residency) and really feel zero need for a spotting scope. I’m not gonna kid myself that I’m gonna find a stone sheep at 5 miles through it. And I’m not the guy making the call on a legal ram, which I often think can be the most important use for a spotter. And of course I can use the guides if needed. It’s a trade off, I have to make some concessions to keep the weight down, and spotter just don’t make the cut for me…

—Jim

15-Aug-23
Couple other things I forgot to list. I started off with 2 1lb bags of jerky as well. And I also had a single paperback book.

So probably pushing my initial pack weight more in the 72-73 pound range.

—Jim

15-Aug-23
Thanks for the gear breakdown Jim.

Do you carry a first aid kit of any type?

15-Aug-23
Super- my first aid kit is Advil and Leuko tape! ;)

—Jim

15-Aug-23
Thanks Jim. Great thread. 72lbs is a heavy load to hunt with…..but I’ve never been on a sheep hunt. What kind of mileage/vertical was on the menu each day?

15-Aug-23
thanks for sharing, this is helpful. if you wanted, you could reduce the weight of your lights.

do you take any type of emergency shelter or cover?

15-Aug-23
Advil and Leuko tape has obviously served you well.

Thanks again for the gear breakdown and sharing your adventures with us!

19-Aug-23

One more quick tip, couple guys have asked me how I take my pack on the commercial flights.

I like to have my pack fully organized and loaded (minus food and water) and put it all in a big duffle ready to go. I’ll put my boots and clothes I’m planning to wear on hike in in there too (light gray bag has clothes in it). The rolling duffle is a Sitka Nomad.

With this system when I get to camp, I pull out my pack, load food/water, get bow ready/checked, get dressed and ready to go. Don’t have to worry about leaving anything out as I know it’s all packed and ready when I arrive.

—Jim

20-Aug-23
Good job Jim! I agree with everything-except maybe the hairbrush. I have been getting a buzz cut. No hair. No hair sweat. No brush needed and nobody cares how you look in the mountains.

21-Aug-23
Shameless plug. I have an unused Sitka Nomad for sale. Server error won’t let me post in the classifieds. PM me if interested.

21-Aug-23
That was great and informative. Thanks Jim

21-Aug-23
Awesome break down Jim, gave me a couple ideas I didn't already have in my pack.

04-Sep-23
Ttt

05-Sep-23
Thanks for sharing... This made me add and subtract several items for a hunt next month. Also some great ideas on organization!

• Sitka Gear