Starfire 17-Aug-23
Jack Harris 17-Aug-23
Bigdog 21 17-Aug-23
midwest 18-Aug-23
Paul@thefort 18-Aug-23
fuzzy 18-Aug-23
Buffalo1 18-Aug-23
17-Aug-23
Hey folks - been away too long. Hope y'all doing well. I still see many of you on that great bastion of freedom and first amendment site known as "Facebook". (like that big buck killer from Oklahoma).

Getting old here but still feel great but the damn blurry vision up close is getting worse each passing year. Can't work or read a menu without reading glasses. Now as I practice with the Matthews, my pin focus is still pretty good out to 20 yards and can still shoot well but a little blurry at 30. Beyond that - the 40 pin is a total blur and forget beyond that I won't even practice.

I have heard of peep clarifiers and site magnifiers, but interested in hearing how some of you have overcome this? To me - if I magnify the pins that means they will be clear but the target will become blurry so which is worse?

My sight is a 5 pin Trophy Ridge React - bow is 60# Matthews Triax.

Thanks in advance for your opinions / advice...

PS - going to the dark side where I can use a scope is not an option, as long as I can still draw a vertical bow.

17-Aug-23
You're going to pretty quick get advised to buy a verifier by a bunch of hunters who did. Just follow that advice and be happy.

17-Aug-23
Buy a verifier peep sight. From someone who did….

It’s kinda a fine line for me to get the right lens that clears the pins to the degree I desire and not blur the target. But it’s way better than the alternative for me.

—Jim

17-Aug-23
So clarifier peep sight. Any brand recommendations? Also any downside to them such as "fogging", etc?

17-Aug-23
No, you need a VERIFIER peep sight.

Of course there are downsides, everything in life is a trade off. I don’t see how “fogging” could be a problem, but they certainly could collect dust or water or ice, but that has not been an issue for me. Every once in a while I notice a slight buzz and the lens has loosened a bit, easy fix and have not noticed it happening in quite a while actually.

Specialty Archery seems to be the most common choice in my research. I’m pleased with mine.

—Jim

17-Aug-23
Jack just a couple weeks ago I noticed my pins were more blurry than usual as well as the target… A trip to the doctor showed my farsighted vision had gotten worse but my near sighted is better so I don’t need glasses as bad as I once did… not wearing glassed clears up my pin housing a little just something to look into

17-Aug-23
Shug I can spot a tick on a deer's ass at 100 yards - that vision has always been stellar. It's just horrible now within 3 feet. Will look into varifier - maybe my local shop will let me test drive one...

17-Aug-23
I wish I had a dollar every time I had to type Dbl post… I’d be able to afford one of Pats Kansas deer hunts

17-Aug-23
I had blurry pins and I moved my site as close to the riser as I could and it fixed the problem.

17-Aug-23
if you are getting old, have you had your eyes checked lately? Cataracts can cause that. Get them removed, makes a big difference.

17-Aug-23
A magnified sight lens paired with a CLARIFIER peep gives you a rifle scope for your bow. Good for target archery and general outdoor shooting in good light. Not good for low light or direct sun glare situations.

A VERIFIER peep gives you reading glasses for your sight. Good for clearing up the sight pins. They can make the long distance targets blurry.

It's a trade off. I went a different route. I simplified my sight by going to a single pin centered in the sight ring and then sighted that in at 25. Now, even if I can't see the pin, at least I can center the entire sight picture on the vitals. In fact, my indoor target setup for BHFS has just a round sight housing with NO pin. I just center the bullseye in my round sight housing and start my shot sequence.... It's probably not for everyone, but it works awesome for me.

17-Aug-23
Good to see you post Jack. Verifier for me the last 12 years. No issues.

17-Aug-23
Hey Charlie - thanks!

17-Aug-23
Verifier. Lancaster has them. Unless a shop has the set-up for you to determine which one you need/want, you should get 2 in different powers. I bought the 2 lowest powers. Both work but the lower power blurs the longer ranges less. I thought I'd return the other but kept it because I know I may eventually need it. You'll need both the peep in the diameter you want and the verifier inserts. Also, several weeks ago there was an identical thread Hunting with a Verifier. https://forums.bowsite.com/tf/bgforums/thread.cfm?threadid=500237&forum=36

17-Aug-23
Fellow Bowsiters talked me into a verifier peep a couple months ago...very glad they did! I'm shooting the #4 from Specialty Archery...their lowest power. Clears up my pins and does not blur the target. Also, have the #5 verifier, but it does start to blur the target. choosing the right verifier number is an individual thing. My local pro shop had a hand held verifier tool that really helped with the selection process. Good luck!

17-Aug-23
Acuvue multifocal. The have a try before you buy. See your eye Doctor.. and it also helped just shooting both eyes open.

17-Aug-23
Verifier

17-Aug-23
Forgot to mention that my 40 pin is red and that is half the problem. I just can’t see red the 20, 30, 50 and 60 are green. Charlie just told me red pin is a common issue

17-Aug-23
Go to a one pin movable. Usually more accurate and pin size and color you see the best

18-Aug-23
Specialty Archery Verifier. Start with the lowest power #4. I also got the hooded peep at the suggestion of the pro shop and don't regret it. Carry a few Qtips in case you need to clean it but I have yet to have an issue, including hunting on Kodiak in blowing snow and all the other elements.

18-Aug-23
Jack , at the age of 80, three years ago I had right eye cataract surgery and a lens upgrade, (extra $1700 and insurance paid most of the rest). for far vision correction. The new lens allows the pin (green single pin slider) to be sharp with the out stretched arm, and I am able to see well, out long distances and the colors are environmental sharp and bright. Note, I purchased the single pin sight prior to the surgery as the multi pins sight pins was blurred. I now wish I has purchased a two pin slider sight for 20 and 30 yards as now the pins are sharp. I need reading glasses for up close stuff.

My best, Paul

18-Aug-23
Glasses

18-Aug-23
Jack- Glad to see you back

Lasik surgery was my clarifier. It was great for 15 yrs and then I got cataracts. The new lens from that surgery continued to be my clarifier.

• Sitka Gear