fuzzy 29-Aug-23
Jack Harris 29-Aug-23
Trial153 29-Aug-23
Kurt 29-Aug-23
wyobullshooter 29-Aug-23
cnelk 29-Aug-23
Supernaut 29-Aug-23
29-Aug-23
Switched to two blade, single bevel heads this year. What’s a good leather strop for finishing? Is there much of a difference in them? Thanks!

29-Aug-23
I just used a barbers strop, you can still get them on line. I think I bought mine on Amazon.

29-Aug-23
Well...it depends on who you ask. Fact is that a broadhead isn't and never will be straight razor, so you don't need anything of nearly that quality. An old leather belt, a piece of a boot, a piece of leather glued to a board all do a good job. They aren't sharpening anything, all they are doing is polishing really.

29-Aug-23

RonP's embedded Photo
RonP's embedded Photo
i have these for 2 blades. the one on the right is a leather strop. the others are fine sharpening stones.

i am starting to clean house and you can have them. shoot me a pm with address if interested.

29-Aug-23
Ron,

PM sent. THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!!

29-Aug-23
The best strops are made from the rump area of a Horse. They’re called a Russian strop.

29-Aug-23
I've been using corragated cardboard for years. I always have some and it works great.

29-Aug-23
Will Tell my ex wives always said I was the rump area of a horse. Maybe that's why I sometimes feel stroppy.

29-Aug-23
I just use leather glued to a board. For VPA sharpening, I have always ground in some Herbs Yellowstone stropping compound into that leather first. Makes a HUGE difference in the end resulting shaving sharpness factor.

29-Aug-23

Altitude Sickness 's embedded Photo
Altitude Sickness 's embedded Photo
Will tell, I agree Horse rump leather is the best. I use mine on knives. But use rouge and cardboard for BHs

I forgot why old timers liked horse hide. So I looked It up

Amazing leather for stropping with: Equine leather has a very high concentration of silicate, and perfect for those who do not wish to load their strops with compounds. Ideal for loading with 9K - 14K grit compounds. Offers the best tactile feel and control when using unloaded.

29-Aug-23
I like to have two double sided paddle strops. Course and fine… I used green compound on one and white on the other

29-Aug-23
Jeweler's Rogue works great on a strop. I used deer leather...worked fine.

29-Aug-23
I’ll second the cardboard. Cheap, easily obtainable, and works great.

29-Aug-23
Basically all a strope does is take the fine burr off the edge

29-Aug-23
Another vote for and user of cardboard here. It really works for me.

• Sitka Gear