Catscratch 06-Sep-23
Catscratch 06-Sep-23
LINK 06-Sep-23
Basil 06-Sep-23
tradi-doerr 06-Sep-23
Zbone 07-Sep-23
Catscratch 07-Sep-23
04-Sep-23
https://www.ancient-origins.net/news-history-archaeology/ice-patch-arrow-0017167

05-Sep-23

Basil's embedded Photo
Basil's embedded Photo
Lots of cool stuff being found as the ice recedes. This was on display in 2019 on my Reindeer hunt in Norway.

06-Sep-23

Catscratch's embedded Photo
That arrow is such a cool find! I'm always amazed at learning how the ancient people did things, and there's not better guide than to look at their tools. That arrow even shows the nock in perfect condition. My family has gotten into looking for artifacts. Here's some of the points we found this spring. From talking with people and forums some of what we've found is from the Clovis people and maybe over 10,000yrs old.

06-Sep-23

06-Sep-23
You mean it was once warmer than it froze and warmed again. Must have been all those mastodon flatulence creating that warm period.

06-Sep-23
I am not a global, warming climate alarmist, but it’s not a hard concept to grasp. For example, they find a wrecked plane when the ice recedes. Does that mean the plane was there before the ice? Same thing with a lot of these artifacts. They may have been lost on the ice, possibly before one just never knows. Lots of hunting is done on the ice packs when the reindeer are seeking refuge from the bugs and heat. Stands to reason some weapons would be lost on the ice pack.

06-Sep-23
x1 Basil You can't tax the piss out of people if their not fearing something and willing to comply.

07-Sep-23

Zbone's embedded Photo
Zbone's embedded Photo
Zbone's embedded Photo
Zbone's embedded Photo
Zbone's embedded Photo
Zbone's embedded Photo
Zbone's embedded Photo
Zbone's embedded Photo
On the subject of history and privative weapons, seen gobs of stone arrowheads, spear tips, hatchets and other tools at the Flint Ridge Knap-In, I attended with my girlfriend last Saturday at Coshocton County Fairgrounds... There were some talented craftsmen there along with prehistoric animal parts and gems such as petrified Mastodon teeth, tusks and bones, petrified shark teeth and so on to be crafted into points and such... Wish now I would have taken pix of the Mastodon parts...

It was interesting, my girl even enjoyed it... I almost tried throwing a dart with an atlatl...8^)

So while in the historic mood on the way home...8^) I talked her into checking out an old fort I knew of near my uncles house in the Newcomerstown/West Lafayette area... Although not prehistoric nor did I see any chert knapped arrowheads embedded in the structure, it sure is old and historic...

For history buffs, the Old Stone Fort is presumed to be the oldest building in Ohio possibly the oldest existing building west of the Appalachian Mountains...

From what I gather, its not actually a fort but rather a blockhouse where early settlers refuged and could gather for protection from raiding Native Americans... There's a lot of mystery surrounding this building...

It's about a hundred yards or so from the Tuscarawas River and the thickness of the walls at the gun ports are impressive...

Last photo was taken early 20th century before it was restored in 1953...

07-Sep-23
Wow on that stone building! We have some old stone bridges where I live that were built in the late 1800 that I thought were old, but that "Old Stone Fort" goes way back!

• Sitka Gear