DonVathome 06-Sep-23
nehunter 07-Sep-23
DonVathome 07-Sep-23
smarba 07-Sep-23
Bou'bound 08-Sep-23
04-Sep-23

nehunter's embedded Photo
nehunter's embedded Photo
I ruptured (broken not torn) my achilles tendon two weeks ago, had the surgery and going to a boot in a few weeks.

I have a coveted Maine Moose permit for the 9/25 week. I'm hoping someone has been through this scenario and hoping someone has some useful tips on staying dry, warm and comfortable .

This couldn't have happened at the worst time.

Thank you

04-Sep-23
No idea but something like a Wiggys over boot waders?

I've seen all weather ortho boot covers but ot sure they (or any) would withstand hunting.

05-Sep-23
Forget it,,, you could tear it apart and end up never walking right again. You will still be in therapy, had mine done took almost 3 months to walk pain free. I put a stocking cap over toes taped on then they make a water proof bag like 10.00 Amazon.. to go over boot. I used it to go duck hunting in boat.

05-Sep-23
Hire a guide with a good UTV. Stay in that f*er. Seriously, do NOT re-injure yourself.

05-Sep-23
Thank you all for the input.

Glunt just gave me what I was thinking about. I saw them on Hunting the Public once and went through 20 shows looking for it.

Wiggys is it!

Doc gave me permission to use crutches he just made a special hard cast. He actually went online and looked up the physical requirements needed.

No motorized vehicles allowed off the logging roads.

05-Sep-23
You will struggle to get your foot straight enough to get into a proper boot. Then, pulling it back out will put pressure on the repair. Be careful

05-Sep-23
My dad once broke his foot right before a really wet winter, and he had no option but to feed a large cow herd every night in a walking boot. He taped up multiple trash bags every evening to feed. It worked. Not ideal for sure

05-Sep-23
Is it too late to return tag and get your points back? That’s a serious injury to risk hunting with and risk never walking again….I get the significance of the moose hunt in maine, I play the game to but this could have life altering consequences

05-Sep-23
Every day you wake up, you are one day closer to death. I’d go hunting. Good luck and God Bless. And, post a pic of your moose.

05-Sep-23

06-Sep-23
Get a atv to hunt from?

06-Sep-23
The hard part starts when the moose hits the ground. Hope you have a LOT of help! You will be pushing yourself and your compromised leg to the breaking point..........................BE CAREFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

06-Sep-23
Yikes not sure what to tell you but be careful. Get some help. Try to avoid marshy/soft areas - easier to injure yourself

07-Sep-23
Maine is basically a once in a lifetime permit. I do have a guide who will transport the Moose to a processing place. No dragging for me. No ATV's allowed, only passenger trucks. My surgeon is a semi hunter, he understands and will design a special cast for me the day before I leave.

Then a regular cast when I get back.

07-Sep-23
Good luck and please post pics! 23 years applying for a Maine moose permit for me, nothing yet!

07-Sep-23
Wiggy's or multiple Contractor (thicker) garbage bags and go hunt. Obviously just be as careful as you can. Don't miss the hunt because of "what if's". You could just as likely skip the hunt, then injure your foot tripping going down your stairs at home...

Can't wait to hear your story and see trophy pics!

08-Sep-23
Wiggins are great for slipping on at one bank of stream and off at next. Made for nothing more. Not tough and not built to live in out of stream

• Sitka Gear