Paul@thefort 17-Sep-23
KHunter 18-Sep-23
rattling_junkie 21-Sep-23
Ron Niziolek 21-Sep-23
Bowfinatic 21-Sep-23
06-Sep-23

Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
The opening day Colorado archery elk season seemed warmer that usual. In the OTC unit I was hunting the day time temperature would be in the mid 70 degrees and the night time temps would be above freezing, in the low 40s and wind out of the SW for the following week. Add to the fact that is was Labor Day weekend and there would be a lot of recreationalists around. Last season I elected to hunt after LD and while I had elk on my trail camera prior, while I hunted, I saw and heard no elk for 5 days in the area. So this season I planned on hiking in a mile and one half, setting up camp and hunt the opening day.

Being a solo hunter I had to make a plan if I killed an elk, to get the elk meat out with out loosing any; we as hunters own that to these fine animals.. That would take some planning, quick response by me and physical back and leg power to get the meat out. I would be RACING THE SUN, as the day heated up. So let me be clear, this would be a meat hunt, cow or bull, whatever crossed my path first and within bow range.

A super moon was starting to waning but added a strange night time glow to the surrounding landscape.

06-Sep-23
Can’t wait!!!!! Let’s hear it paul!

06-Sep-23
#YES

06-Sep-23
finally!!!

06-Sep-23
Here we go! Giddeup Paul!

06-Sep-23

September 1 found me hiking in the day before Labor Day and setting up camp for the following 7 days. I was close but not too close to where I would be hunting and being there and away from the trailhead, I just might get first chance at an elk.

So let talk about pre- planning and WHAT IF one kills an elk, especially if you are solo hunting and have to rely on yourself to field process the elk, day or night, and then carry the meat out and get it on ice especially when it is warm out like it can be opening week or more. No friends to rely on, no packer, just you. A 600 pound elk may yield 200 #s of meat. That can be four around trips carrying 50# of meat to the truck and then to get the meat on ice. Sometime we hear from a new-be elk hunter, " I want to hike in 8-10 mile to get away from everyone" Oh really, and then get the elk meat out in time? This process of 'What If' and 'How To', needs to be examined and figured out prior to the hunt and not when you are standing over a dead elk. New time elk hunters, beware and heed. Plan ahead and have all of the tools you need to process the elk and then to hike it out on your back and do not get in too far back in so you will not have time to get the meat out without loosing some or all of it.

06-Sep-23

Two weeks prior to the opener, I set up two trail cameras and discovered that the elk, deer and a couple to moose were coming to the meadow in the late PM and only a very few were passing by in the morning. Yea, yea, opening day and not hunting the first morning was hard for me to give up, but I sleep in and electing not to hunt that morning as there was a chance I might bump an animal in the dark on my way to my hid along the edge of the large meadow. It was a long day in camp waiting for late afternoon to come

06-Sep-23

The intel from the camera provided me some good information and when 5:00 pm arrived I headed to the hid, down the hill from camp and along the meadow's edge. Two trails crossed in front of me, one 20 and one 30 yards. I cleared some limbs and brush, mounted an arrow on the compound bow's rest and rested the bow, leaning against the tree trunk before me. Five feet away I sat down and rested against another tree trunk. The taller grass hid me well as did the dark shadows of the late afternoon. OPENING DAY AND I AM FINALLY HUNTING.

Five minutes later this doe mule deer and her two fawns came out of the timber across the meadow and headed my way. The wind was perfect, not for me to be detected. Deer were not on the target list.

06-Sep-23
Here we go!!

06-Sep-23
Got the popcorn ready............

06-Sep-23
Great read so far! Edge of my seat for the next post!

06-Sep-23

What is so engaging to us bow hunters, ie, close range hunters, is the chance to get up- close and personal with the animals we hunt. These three deer came to a seep 35 yards way and just enjoyed the evening by feeding and drinking. One fawn came within 10 yards and started to move downwind but at the last second turned back and joined the other two. The fawns did not seem to have a care in the world. The doe kept a sharp watch on them. Later they moved more out front of me and one of the fawn might has seen something strange and came to within 5 yards of me before turning around. I noticed the doe was on alert and staring into the timber. I see movement there also. Note, if you look in the direction that the doe is looking, right over her head, you might make out a shape inside the timber line. I thought, moose or elk? Also note that I have only been in the hid for 30 minutes when the elk showed up.

06-Sep-23
This is good stuff right here!

06-Sep-23

This movement in the timber caught me by surprise as I was still enjoying the deer and I was laying prone and against the tree. My bow was beyond my reach. ELK!

I turned and crawled forward, mounted the bow and begin the draw cycle. The closest fawn heard something, turned, saw movement and exploded from the area alerting the other fawn and doe. They crashed away. THE COW ELK STEPPED OUT INTO THE MEADOW'S EDGE, LOOKED AROUND AND CAME FORWARD TO 29 YARDS. I was at full draw and when she stopped, I centered the pin dead center, slightly forward and released the VPA tipped arrow.

06-Sep-23

pass through and stuck in a log behind the elk. Lighted nock glowing. Blood full length of arrow.
pass through and stuck in a log behind the elk. Lighted nock glowing. Blood full length of arrow.
Arrow flight looked good and on target, a little high. WACK!

06-Sep-23

The elk spun around and headed back the way she had come. I thought to myself, "wow, that was quick". I waited a few minutes, found the arrow and followed the elk's trail for 20 yards, looking for blood. She had jumped this log, in her panic to vacate the area. A good sign so far. Look at the blood splatter, it splatters in the directing the animal is traveling.

06-Sep-23

A closer examination indicated a high hit, but effective.
A closer examination indicated a high hit, but effective.
What is the saying, "elk hunting is fun until you are standing over a dead elk." Time to get busy!!!!!!!!!!!!! Much too warm out.. Two hours to dark
What is the saying, "elk hunting is fun until you are standing over a dead elk." Time to get busy!!!!!!!!!!!!! Much too warm out.. Two hours to dark
For those that have kill deer, elk, etc, and made a great kill shot that impacted a major artery, the results are usually a great blood trail and easy to trail. Now remember that I thought my hit was a little high and if so, while there is some good damage, the blood can be contained with the body cavity and not be exiting from the wound in large amounts, some just running down the hide/hair. This was my case, very little blood on the trail but I was able to follow her tracks in the soft sand/dirt.. Fifty yard farther I found one drop of blood. I continued to follow in that direction and move forward and over a small rise. I look up and saw a dead elk 40 yards ahead. A 70 yard recovery.

06-Sep-23
Machine

06-Sep-23
ELK DOWN! I will continue tomorrow. The process, bagging, over night storage, and the pack out. I am still sore!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

07-Sep-23
Great job Paul! Congrats buddy.

07-Sep-23
Way cool Paul, CONGRATS!!!

Thanks for sharing...

I see you used a Kelty over your tent, can I ask what make/model tent you use?... Thanks...

07-Sep-23
Short and successful elk season...Congrats Paul!

07-Sep-23
Congratulations sir!

07-Sep-23
Paul congratulations again Got to love when an elk cuts your hunt short.

07-Sep-23
Worth the wait! : )

07-Sep-23
Awesome and congrats Paul that was fast! Now the work begins I’m sure!

07-Sep-23
Congrats Paul. Aren’t you glad I showed you that meadow??

07-Sep-23
Congrats!!!

07-Sep-23
Paul, you DO NOT disappoint !

07-Sep-23
Well that was a short but successful hunt! Well done!

07-Sep-23
Great stuff Paul! Congrats!

07-Sep-23
Congrats!!! I swear looking at those pics I can feel the sun on my face and smell the pines! Thanks for sharing your short but sweet hunt.

07-Sep-23
Just awesome Paul!!!!

Congrats and can't wait for the rest!!!

07-Sep-23
Short but very sweet hunt and some fine eating right there. Congrats Paul!

07-Sep-23
We’ll done young man…

07-Sep-23
Well done Paul, that sure didn't take long! I'm looking forward to reading the rest.

07-Sep-23
Congrats!

07-Sep-23
Congrats again Paul! Always impressed with everything you do.

07-Sep-23
Now to me, that is a elk hunt. Not some bragger type, that you hear or see all the time. Just an honest guy, hunting. Well done.

07-Sep-23
Congratulations again Paul

07-Sep-23

Let the process begin. I was sweating from the hunt and from the warmth of the day. Still RACING THE SUN as I still had two good hours of light. 70 degrees for sure. Light wind. With the setting sun, I was at least in some shade.

My pack contained all I needed, two knives, a knife sharpener, 25 ft length of paracord, 6 meat bags, one LED head light for after dark processing, a bone saw, rubber gloves, a Snicker bar. I sent a message to Tricia via my Spot Messenger, Gen 3, "animal down, be home shortly". There is a good YouTube video on the Gutless Method I used, so check that out. I was surprised with the lack of flies at the kill site; that was a blessing. I had to use the LED lamp during the final stages for the field process and by 9 pm had the elk deboned and bagged. Still warm out!

I had seen on one trail camera the week before, a bear in the area, so I needed to get the meat away from the processing site. Half way back to camp I hung the meat bags in a tree to cool and then hoped a bear or other critters did not find it.

07-Sep-23
Congratulations Paul! You are definitely an inspiration! Great kill and obviously some delicious vittles right there!

07-Sep-23
Congrats and thanks for sharing the story! Carl

07-Sep-23
You are a LEGEND Paul! And an inspiration! : )

07-Sep-23
Congrats Paul!! Awesome!!

07-Sep-23
i hope to meet and shake your hand someday. great job and thanks for sharing.

07-Sep-23
Three hundred yards farther, and up hill, I reached camp by 10 pm. The super moon was in it's glory. Washed up and hit the sack but did not fall asleep right away as I was planning the route back to the truck and backpacking out the bagged meat: was it going to be four trips of 37#s in four round trips or 50#s in three trips? I would know in the morning. At 5 am, I was woke by elk alarm barks near by. At least two had got downwind and smelled the camp. Their continues loud barks carried for a long way that still morning. Nature's alarm clock---time to get up and get to work! Warm out and, Still RACING THE SUN.

07-Sep-23
Paul the killing machine, congrats Sir.

07-Sep-23
Congrats Paul!

07-Sep-23
Congrats on having early success! Looking forward to the rest of the story.

07-Sep-23
Total Machine!! Congratulations Paul!!

07-Sep-23
Best line so far......." I thought to myself, "wow, that was quick"." LOL understatement much? WTG Paul!!!!

07-Sep-23
Congrats Paul.

07-Sep-23
Congrats! Great story and hunt, can't wait for the rest. Thanks for sharing.

07-Sep-23
I would LOVE to tag along with Paul on one of these hunts to pick his brain and learn from a real elk killer. And of course to help butcher and pack out the unfortunate elk that wanders too close to him! : ) I bet the dinner time stories would be amazing......................

If you ever want some company Paul...................... ;-)

07-Sep-23
congrats! an inspiration to all of us

07-Sep-23
Congrats and thanks for the write up. I really enjoy these.

07-Sep-23
Five AM and up -and at-them!. In five trips to the hanging tree, I hand carried the bagged meat back to camp, had a short breakfast of oatmeal, energy bar and hot cider. Ok, mind made up, three trips with 50#s of meat. The sun was just coming up but still warm out; got to get moving. 50#s is my limit but at least it was mostly down hill and the walking sticks will help in balancing.

The meat had mostly cooled down so I placed each bag in a large plastic bag for two reasons. One was to keep the Eberlestock big top pack clean and two was to help insulate the bagged meat and keep it clean. I knew along the way back there were several places I could store the meat in the cool shade, near a stream or in the wet grass of a low land area; that is if I chose to leap frog in stages, the meat back to the truck. Decisions to be made along the way was as I was still Racing The Sun. I had placed my one wheeled game cart half way in so that might be my goal for each load. Pack loaded with 50#s and off I went still thinking. Hell, I needed ice in the big cooler at the truck and town was 25 miles away. More planning!

07-Sep-23
Awesome Paul. Love the story and the wise words about being prepared to handle an Elk. As I sit at my desk at work, my back is a little sore from packing out a cow Elk I took earlier this week. They are lots of work, especially when you're by yourself, but worth the effort.

07-Sep-23

jordanathome's Link
Paul hunts alone.........to the tune of a well known George Thorogood song.

Just him and his F150....and his compound bow......Paul hunts alone......

07-Sep-23
Congrats Paul. A lesson in how to plan and execute a true DIY hunt.

07-Sep-23
Congrats. Good advice on not going in too far solo, unless you have pack out help

07-Sep-23
Inspiration to us all, thanks for sharing. Nicely done!

07-Sep-23
So ten minutes later I was off, 50#s on the back, walking sticks in hand. I love gravity and going down hill. Forty five minutes later I arrived at the game cart and stored the meat bag in the tall cool grass next to the steam. Two more trips here and then to the truck another hour. Back to camp.

I was thinking while heading back, ice, ice, ice, how to get ice. Should I try to call Tricia to bring 10 bags or head 25 miles to the closest town for ice? When I arrive back at camp I decided to call Tricia so I have to hike to a higher point 500 yards away and hoped for a contact. One half a bar, but left her a message on both home phone and cell and then prayed she got the massage. Back to camp for two more loads.

The term TRAIL MAGIC, was used on many cross county hiking trails such as the Appalachian Trail, California Trail etc. when you might be in need and someone provide that gift, such as water, direction or a ride to town. Trail magic for sure.

I had just returned back from calling Tricia and was behind the tent packing for another meat run when I hear a voice. " Hello there". Tyler and his girl friend approached with smiles on their faces. He is bowhunting and from North Dakota but is a regional manager for a Dental supply company. Britany is tagging along in support. I said " Hi, just in time to help pack out some elk meat". He said, " We can help as I believe we are parked next to your truck". I look to the heaven and said thanks. Trail magic at its best. "Can you handle 50#s?", "Sure", said the 38 year old, six footer. Were were off with the last two loads. Still Racing The Sun but now I was in the lead.

07-Sep-23
Way to go!

07-Sep-23
Now be honest Paul, you gave Tyler 40 lbs and took 60 yourself, lol. Good people helping good people.

07-Sep-23
Another awesome story and outcome Paul! Way to get it done! Congratulations!

07-Sep-23
At my age I need “mentors” Thank you sir.

07-Sep-23
Thank goodness for Tyler and friend ! Paul, I can’t say how much I admire your fortitude and energy. I ain’t half the man you are and you prove it constantly……

07-Sep-23
Paul, great job sir!

ElkNut

07-Sep-23
Awesome job Paul! You are an inspiration.

07-Sep-23
Another terrific adventure! Congrats and thanks for bringing us along for the ride, Paul!

07-Sep-23
Absolutely LOVE this story, Paul.

07-Sep-23
We get to the game cart in short order. I am still thinking of ice and did Tricia get the message and is she on her way. No way of knowing. Fifteen minutes from the truck, is a large culvers under the two rut road, with cold stream water running through. A refrigerator! So we stashed the meat bags, in their plastic bags, into the cool water. Now if Tricia did not get the message, I can go to town for ice, and come back and load up and head for home. Shortly we get back to the trucks, and not sign of ice delivery. I thanked Tyler, gave a big hung to Brittany and exchanged business cards. Now, what was going through my mind was. if I go to town and Tricia does come, she will not know where I am so I elected to head for the highway and wait there until 1:30 pm, an hour away.

At 1:30 and no Tricia, I head back to the gate, hike to the culvert, load up half of the meat on the game cart and head back to the truck. ON the way back I hear, someone calling "Paul". As I round the corner, there is the ice delivery and Tricia with a smile on here face. More Trail Magic. We both unload the game cart and head back for the remaining load and return within the next half hour. All meat on ice. None lost.

I had run two 26 mile marathons when I was 39 and 40 years old, forty three years ago but during the last two days I felt like I had just run two back to back marathons. I surly did not win those first two marathons back in the day, but had decent times.

Racing The Sun Marathon, I came in first this time. Can't wait until next season when I can test myself again. All it takes in placing one foot in front of the other and then keep moving forward. Yea, Life is like a Marathon. PS, by the way, this made number 15, Colorado elk. My best, Paul

07-Sep-23
Labor of Love, congrats.

07-Sep-23
Well done Paul. You sure carry some good Karma with you ;)

07-Sep-23
Paul, you're the man.

Thanks for another amazing and inspiring hunt recap. Glad you won the sun race with some trail magic sprinkled in to help.

07-Sep-23
Wow, you are something! Congratulations and thanks for the great story.

07-Sep-23
Great story Paul, I'm just glad you had just a little help at the end... that's a huge task you accomplished and I bet you had a sigh of relief when you met your helpers! Paul, your an inspiration to a whole bunch of us here, not only as a hunter, but as a man to look up to. scentman

07-Sep-23
Way to go Paul! Thanks for the story and helping us flatlanders without a tag through the season. Congratulations!

07-Sep-23
Great stuff as usual!

07-Sep-23
Nicely done Paul! Congrats!

07-Sep-23
"Life is like a Marathon"

Paul, You're running the race, staying the course, and finishing strong!

07-Sep-23
Paul you didn’t win those marathons because they ran from you, they couldn’t get outta there fast enough ha.

Job well done Paul!

07-Sep-23
Awesome Paul. You're an inspiration to us old guys and bowhunters of every age. Thanks for taking us along.

07-Sep-23
I hope guys who have never hunted or been successful on an elk hunt read this. So much work goes into getting an elk off the mountain especially if solo. Congrats on a great hunt.

07-Sep-23
I'm beyond impressed with you Paul. Hat's off to you Sir!!

07-Sep-23
I love it!!! Truly inspirational.

07-Sep-23
Thanks everyone. Lots of work but the prize at the end. Elk burger with 10% ground in hickory smoked thick cut bacon, fried, med heat in butter and-salt and pepper the butter, cheddar cheese, Lettice, tomato, onion. Yum. My best, Paul

07-Sep-23

Yum!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

07-Sep-23
Nice!! Congratulations!!!

07-Sep-23
Very impressive, thanks for sharing.

07-Sep-23
Way to go. Such an inspiration. Love it.

07-Sep-23
Congrats Paul! Thanks for sharing the story.

07-Sep-23
You never disappoint my friend! Sito and I finally agree on something: Machine!!

07-Sep-23
Paul - you should mention how popular that spot got when you were done. ;)

I first hunted that meadow 22 years ago. I call it ‘3 Times’. And yes, theres a reason for that name. ;)

07-Sep-23
You are an inspiration Paul. I’ll try to think of that when I’m complaining about my 62 year old aches & pains. Hope I can accomplish a fraction of what you can at your age! Congrats to you.

07-Sep-23
An inspiration to us older hunters!

07-Sep-23
cnelk, Brad, you are correct, with the growing numbers of elk bow hunters in Colorado, 54,000, and now nonresident elk bow hunters out number residents because of the unrestricted number of OtC license and surrounding states restricting nonresidents bow hunters more, all places are getting crowded. Add to that the growing number of people enjoying the landscape, more and more people are camping out, riding side by sides, hiking, . This all equals and lot of pressure on the landscape and wildlife. There is a very good chance by 2025 season, that OTC elk archery licenses will disappear for good, for residents and nonresidents and that all archery elk license will be limited draw. 75% residents and 25% nonresidents.

The day after i killed the elk, I saw two other hunters, on the way out and I ran into three others coming in. Down the road I talk to 3 others hunting the area.

A crying shame that Colorado residents might loose the ability to hunt elk every year as in the past.

I moved to Colorado in 1991, and the population was 3.2 million, now, 5. 8 million.

Brad, I am sure in in the near future that cabin you build in South Dakota might become your permanent residents.

07-Sep-23
Impressive

07-Sep-23
Still my hero Paul !

07-Sep-23
Congrats Paul!

07-Sep-23
What an accomplishment Paul! Well deserved success. Thanks for the recap!

07-Sep-23
Outstanding Paul!

07-Sep-23
Great job Paul!

I have a feeling you’ll keep getting an elk tag, enjoying your hunt, and filling your tag.

In my state most of eastern Oregon went to a draw for ek last year for archery, used to be OTC. As long as you apply for 1st choice you still draw. Just can’t bank points for the trophy hunts/rifle hunts and then archery hunt there anymore. It also severely limited non res tag numbers.

If you’re a resident bow hunter that just wants to hunt that area every year and don’t care about points You still can.

Less people and better hunting after the change.

Maybe that’s how it will play out for your area. Sometimes change is good!

08-Sep-23
#BionicBowhunter! Leave it to Paul to kill an elk on opening day then have a woman half his age help pack it to the truck! Probably slipped him her number with that hug ;)

Ha…all kidding aside, great job Paul and great write up explaining what it takes to get it done. A true inspiration you are. Congrats Sir Paul !

08-Sep-23
Congrats! Sometimes the Stars line up perfectly! Impressive! Special Thanks to Tyler&Britany Thanks for Sharing

08-Sep-23
Good for you Paul!

Congrats man,

Robb

08-Sep-23
Congrats Paul! A great inspiration to us all !

08-Sep-23
Thanks for the great motivation/instructional story. Scouting, camp layout, meat prep planning, pack out plan.

And then killing one of the more challenging animals. A mature cow is a heck of trophy with a bow. Cows have been around a lot of hunters. And are most likely 3 times as old as the bulls in Colorado.

08-Sep-23
You never cease to amaze me Paul. What a great adventure. Congrats on another great hunt.

08-Sep-23
Spectacular work, my friend! Congratulations! Love seeing you continue to be successful in the elk woods!

08-Sep-23
Congratulations on another great hunt. I always enjoy reading your stories. Thanks for sharing!

08-Sep-23
Loved every minute ! Great advice on being prepared for after the shot and the haul out. I will turn 75 in November and haven't been on an elk hunt since 2012. After my move here to Louisiana 5 years ago, I have been after deer and hogs .Not interested in dragging anything out any more thru swamp and marsh, my back pack has all I need for field processing and game bags for meat. You are an inspiration for those of us getting older and I look forward to your adventures every year.

08-Sep-23
Congrats Paul! Really enjoy hearing about your adventures. Sounds like a really fun one this trip! My best to you and Trish.

08-Sep-23
Paul you are a blessed man, a fantastic hunter and an inspiration to all hunters. Congrats !!

Hard work= pay dirt

08-Sep-23
Another great Bowsite read, congratulations Paul! I was actually thinking of your anual goose hunting thread a couple weeks ago while making goose snack sticks to finish cleaning out my game freezer! All ready for this year's harvests! TODDY

08-Sep-23
Nice work Paul. always impressive when someone is successful on an OTC tag.

Best Wishes,

08-Sep-23
If I ever grow up I wanna be like you.... Congrats Inspiration beyond belief ...

08-Sep-23
You're an inspiration to us all and a class act to boot!! Congratulations and keep on putting one foot in front of the other!

08-Sep-23
Congrats Paul!! Thanks for this write up, I look forward to this every year.

08-Sep-23
Congratulations!

I consider you to be “The gold standard” as far as my own personal long term fitness goals.

Well done sir.

08-Sep-23
Great story! Congratulations. That looks like one tasty and very well earned burger!

08-Sep-23
Way to go Pau! Congrats

08-Sep-23
Wow! Still getting it done, nicely done Paul! Kevin

08-Sep-23
What a fantastic story! And that meadow is a beautiful spot. Congratulations Paul, this is the best of Bowsite!

08-Sep-23
Great Paul! You have showed us a good path! I’d love to be capable of following it.

08-Sep-23
Congratulations Paul! I always enjoy your hunts & stories.

09-Sep-23
Nice work young fella...congrats! Here's to many more elk hunts in your future!

09-Sep-23
Never ceases to amaze Paul you gotta have a portrait in the attic aka Dorian Grey congrats on a great adventurous hunt and thanks so much for sharing y’all are still welcome in case you get close to Tennessee yep one foot in front of the other Good Luck All Lewis

09-Sep-23
Congrats Paul!

09-Sep-23
Well done Paul! Thanks for sharing!

09-Sep-23
Another great hunt Paul! Congratulations.

09-Sep-23
Thanks for sharing and congratulations!!

09-Sep-23
Thanks Paul! A lot of inspiration! Heading back up Monday.

09-Sep-23
Just a side note: Hunting Pressure on Public Land, one has no idea what hunting pressure is until you try hunting Wi. Public Land, lived by a very large Wi. public land for 22 yrs and witness from good to crazy bad. The DNR touts to the private and gave the public to the dogs, living across the River now. Enjoy the hunt-jj

09-Sep-23
If P&Y ever decides to offer another honor it should be the "Paul Navarre" award for dedication and consistent results.

Congratulations Paul, on once again just doing what you always do!

10-Sep-23
Just, could not disagree more. WIS has more State Natural Areas, than any state, and few are hunted. I worked on them. It's a big state. Stay well.

10-Sep-23
Congrats Paul and hopefully more stories to come this year.

10-Sep-23
"Be home shortly" obviously means something different to Tricia. Looks like one of those cases where you're glad you didn't hold tight to the shoulder. Further back gets you high lung; further forward maybe the spine. You don't disappoint Paul. Congrats!

10-Sep-23
Paul, out of interest, what is your bow, arrow and broadhead specs? Thanks.

10-Sep-23
CONGRATS Paul! And THANKS for the informative thread!

10-Sep-23
Congratulations!

10-Sep-23
Rod, AKA Ambush: Bow setup specs: Mathews single cam, Model Reesen, poundage 60#, Arrows- 28 inch long, Gold Tip Kinetic 340, gpi 9.9. Broadhead: VPA 125 steel, vents, 3 bld. add in inserts, lighted nock, fletching, = arrow weight= 450 grs give or take. Of the 15 elk killed, none shot over 32 yards,, Average shot distance, 25 yards, closest= 10 yards, longest, 32 yards.

Of the last 4 bulls and two cows KILLED, no elk calling was used to bring them in. AMBUSH OVER WATER, WALLOW, FUNNELS. May not be as fun as chasing and calling but it puts meat on the table :)

My best, Paul

10-Sep-23
Thx Paul.......you are awesome!

10-Sep-23
I loved it!!! Thanks

10-Sep-23
Thanks Paul. Our specs are pretty close. Same weight arrow, Mathews Helium solo cam, 64# 29” DL. I might give the VPA’s a try.

10-Sep-23
It's been said before, but dang this site needs a "like" button. Congrats again to Paul, the inspiration for us older guys.

10-Sep-23
Nice job Paul. I bet that cow is a mighty fine eating!

10-Sep-23
Nice work, as usual Paul!

11-Sep-23
Thanks for putting the smile on my face this morning! You are the man!!!

11-Sep-23
What a fantastic thread! Way to go Paul this is what Bowsite is all about. You just get better every year!

11-Sep-23
Way to go Paul. You are living the life. Congrats!!!

12-Sep-23
Great Thread Paul!! It's always a great read and very impressive! Well done Sir!

14-Sep-23
Paul, I don't visit here as often as I once did, but I'm glad to see that you are still getting it done. Congrats and well done!

14-Sep-23

14-Sep-23
Fantastic!

16-Sep-23
Awesome write up

Great job Paul

16-Sep-23
Paul, way to keep chasing those elk. Congrats to you as I know how tough you have to be to do what you do at your age. You are truly "One of a kind" that we all appreciate, Bob.

16-Sep-23
Paul your stories and adventures never disappoint. Inspiring guy!

17-Sep-23
Tricia and I had for dinner tonight, This Cow elk Tenderloin medallions rapped with bacon. Cast iron pan, Fried med heat, in butter to medium rare. Washed down with red wine. Yum. PS, wish you were here! :)

18-Sep-23
Another great effort and outcome. And well-told story. Congrats!

21-Sep-23
Nice hunt!

21-Sep-23
Enjoyed the write-up! Congrats to you Paul!

21-Sep-23
Nicely done

• Sitka Gear