Jack Harris's embedded Photo
Doe down! Looks like a heart shot
Doe down! Looks like a heart shot
exit through some bone arrow stuck in ground
exit through some bone arrow stuck in ground
Saturday 9/9 for the NJ bow opener (earna-buck phase), passed up shots in morning trying to get doe without fawn - and subsequently got busted for my bleeding heart. Sunday morning was epic failure on a doe - all on me.

Always wanted to try a Magnus head - so I bought black hornets off a buddy. I got a good practice arrow shooting great. Even with wide 1 1/4” main blade they tune easy due to shorter profile than a stinger.

I set up 3 arrows with these and one Swhacker. Sunday morning I had bucks all around me. Sparring like mad. All out brawls. A 2 yr old 7pt and 5 dinks. In comes doe - last year’s fawn. No fawns of her own. She gets 17 yards and stops slight quarter away - perfect shot. I draw and arrow falls off string. She got a little spooked and walked off. Arrow fletching caught in my rest so I re-nocked it and drew and saw issue. Turns out due to my arrow length these heads cannot have main blade horizontal. Turns out about 1/2” before full draw they hang up on riser and pull arrow off string. WTF? I had practice drawn a different arrow day before - that one had bleeder blades horizontal - full clearance. Turns out my practice arrow has them at 45 degrees even better. I modified all hunting arrows to match practice arrow so all at 45. Quite possibly the stupidest thing I ever have done but that’s a long list but it’s near the top!

This morning I finally put these to the test - she went 40 yards and expired under 10 seconds. Very slight quarter away - 25 yards. Whether I was shooting VPA 3 blade 125s, or Shwacker heads - this riser issue was NEVER an issue always had clearance. However - I been at this long enough I should have known better! Thankfully it didn't cost me a mature buck and I was able to redeem myself after learning the hard way.

11-Sep-23

all BH's set to 45 degree angle now... DUH
all BH's set to 45 degree angle now... DUH
Now the knife DID NOT cause that slice.... My father's old buck folding hunter I now carry with me every hunt.

11-Sep-23
Congrats

Another reason to index broadheads.

11-Sep-23
Great shot!

11-Sep-23
Good stuff!

11-Sep-23
It’s the Harris way

11-Sep-23
Lots of good eating there buddy. Good job and thanks for sharing.

11-Sep-23
"It’s the Harris way"

That's right Todd - there are now 4 ways of doing things.

The right way...

The wrong way.....

The Barta way.....

And - the Harris way....

11-Sep-23
Same thing happened to me pig hunting in TX. Except with QAD Exodus heads. They clear my riser when nocked with the 3rd blade out, bur not the other way.

Easy decision for me, plenty of great broad heads to shoot these days.

—Jim

13-Sep-23
Did that once with my longbow. Stalking bedded buck with doe. Doe caught on and bolted buck stood up i drew fast and hard for quick shot! Bleeder blade caught front of riser nock end is hanging at my waist line we both stand in shock. Still got a very nice ding in the bocote which is haunting!

13-Sep-23
Atta-boy

13-Sep-23
That’s weird. If you set your rest to 13/16ths on center, you should have enough room on a 1.25” broadhead to turn it sideways like that. Hmmm

13-Sep-23
Extra credit for the Buck 101 Hunter.

14-Sep-23
Get’em Jack!!

14-Sep-23
Good to see you back Jack congrats now go get that big 9 point!

18-Sep-23
I have a Buck Folding Hunter that I have had for decades. Looks like you have some good eats there.

• Sitka Gear