ahawkeye 23-Sep-23
DanaC 23-Sep-23
BoggsBowhunts 23-Sep-23
air leak 23-Sep-23
22-Sep-23

ahawkeye's Link
I'm in the market for a new rain jacket, has anyone had any experience with:

Cabela's MTO50 Quiet Pack Rain Jacket

I'll try to add a link, I'm not looking at spending Sitka prices thanks for any info.

22-Sep-23
I’ve never had/seen that specific jacket, but the MT050 stuff I have owned was not ideal unless you can dry it out every use. And I mean dry it like in a clothes dryer or good stove. It would be next to worthless to me on a backpack or tent type hunt. Gets wet, gets heavy, hard to dry, hard pass for me.

Might be fine if just whitetail type hunting around home where you can dry it good after each use.

—Jim

22-Sep-23
Agree with JT. There is a reason some rain gear is a lot less expensive than other alternatives.

22-Sep-23
How about higher end rain gear. What you would you all recommend?

22-Sep-23
Jtreeman, that's fair, what about hunting from home? How does it do on an all day sit?

22-Sep-23
Kuiu Yukon

22-Sep-23
Ahawkeye- I would think it would be good for that. It should keep you dry. It’s just hard to dry it out. Seems like my old stuff would soak through after a few days of wet too.

The best thing about it IMO is it’s quiet.

For all round use I just bought Kuiu Kutana replace my Chugach. I think it’s more versatile than the Yukon stuff personally. Yeah it’s expensive, but it was on sale ;)

—Jim

22-Sep-23
I have the MT 050 rain gear. There is no way I would take it on a pack hunt. Tried that in 2013. What a September that was. Rained 3/4 of the time on a 2 week hunt. It’s just too heavy and sisksbup to much water

But hunting at home and sitting in a tree stands it does great. It’s by far the quietest rain gear I have used for that.

It soaks up a lot of water so when you take it off. Make sure you are prepared for it to shed that water.

22-Sep-23
Very good info thank you, I have bass pro shop gift cards so I'm looking to spend the money there. I don't really want to blow 300+ on Sitka.

22-Sep-23
Buy once, cry once, with rain gear. Tried the cheaper stuff. I have the Sitka (forget which model) and have stayed warm and dry on all day rains. The Kuiu stuff is good too.

23-Sep-23
Quin, I hear sitka is too noisy for the price???

23-Sep-23
"For all round use I just bought Kuiu Kutana"

Ditto!

23-Sep-23
Never understood the concern over 'noise' in the rain. If I'm dry and comfortable I can move slower. Cold and wet, I'm stomping back to the truck.

23-Sep-23
If you have gift cards why not Cabelas space rain?

23-Sep-23
I bought Cabela's Gortex Guide Wear back in 2005. It was $200 for the jacket and $200 for the bibs. I'm still wearing it fishing and turkey hunting.

Quality rain gear pays for itself the very first time that you're in a downpour.

Buy the best rain gear that you can afford.

23-Sep-23
Air leak, that's exactly what I intend to do. I didn't see that line of rain gear from Cabela's but I will look it up. PAV, If BPS sold Kuiu I'd probably go that route.

23-Sep-23
I've seen Sitka at Cabelas, not sure if they carry the whole line. Used all my points on boolits anyway...

23-Sep-23
Cabela’s Space Rain is the way to go.

23-Sep-23
Cabela's Space Rain doesn't keep you dry, from personal experience.

• Sitka Gear