rattling_junkie 14-Oct-23
DanaC 15-Oct-23
carcus 15-Oct-23
Z Barebow 15-Oct-23
8point 15-Oct-23
Al Dente Laptop 15-Oct-23
Pop-r 15-Oct-23
29-Sep-23
Always searching for deer hunting/tree stand boot nirvana. I am good with several brands down to 40 degrees Fahrenheit, and have extremely warm Kamuk Ice Breaker for single digits and below but so big and bulky really hate climbing with them (ok for blind or ice fishing but not ideal for long walks and/or Tree-Stands.)

Last Winter, picked up brand new pair of Muck Artic Ice based on many recommendations. I am 10.5 so got 11's and they are quite snug and my least warm boot of all. I cannot wear them below 40 and my uninsulated Lacrosse's in size 11 are actually roomier and warmer. I have two different pair of rubber Boggs (non hunting) boots that blow them away and can get me down to 20 degrees.

Am I the only one with very bad experience with the Muck Artic Ice? My next pair of hunting boots for very cold weather will probably be Dry Shods, or Boggs.

Again talking purely RUBBER boots and seeking comfort and warmth with ease of walking / climbing, and something that will get me down to zero and keep feet warm without foot warmer and just a good pair of socks.

Not to offend any of you Muck lovers - this is not a Ford vs Chevy argument just wondering if anyone had my experience with them and what you feel is the "best" all rubber treestand boot for down to zero degrees F.....

29-Sep-23
I have a pair of Muck Artic's and I do like them. I wouldn't say they are all that great for super cold weather, but they are the best I've had. I used to wear multiple layers of socks, but now just a thin base sock and a good heavy sock with a toe warmer works. I'll be following along to see if there is a consensus on what is the best.

29-Sep-23
I agree with the mucks listed above. Actually wearing them this week in Nunavut. I can’t stress enough the need to have a boot dryer at home and keep the insides DRY! We dry them between each outing.

29-Sep-23
Whatever you decide on, Arctic shield boot covers can make just about any boot perform like it’s 30 degrees warmer outside or more. I started using them last year and was blown away.

29-Sep-23
I think BoggsBowhunts is onto something. Will check those out!

29-Sep-23
I have a pair of Artic boot covers and really look forward to using them this year.

I’m over the huge rubber boot thing.

I’m Wondering if I can wear my Kenetreks inside of them and stay warm?

29-Sep-23
My feet sweat way to much in rubber boots to be warm below 30 degrees.

The Artic boot blankets have been a game changer for me .

Haven’t used them below zero but did use them last year with temps of 5 degrees and had warm feet the whole sit.

29-Sep-23
Have many pairs of Muck boots ,wear them year round;purchased a pair of DryShod last fall,much better and more comfortable and warm.Looser fit but are nice.I wear 10EEE and have a hard time finding anything to fit.Have a new pair of Muck Arctic,too heavy and not that warm.

29-Sep-23
Buy a pair of Schnees pack boots and put in a foot warmer. It can’t get cold enough with those two and a good pair of smart wool socks.

29-Sep-23
My Muck Artic Pros are the best cold weather boot I've ever had. They keep my feet warm and are comfortable.

I do agree that one boot isn't going to be the be all end all for everyone. What I really like someone else may not care for at all.

Best of luck in your search for your cold weather boot and let us know what you get and how you like them please.

29-Sep-23

29-Sep-23
Artic boot covers along with some hot hands body warmers and you can handle any temp,with whatever boot you choose. I rubber band my warmers on top then add covers, toasty every time.

29-Sep-23
Artic boot covers along with some hot hands body warmers and you can handle any temp,with whatever boot you choose. I rubber band my warmers on top then add covers, toasty every time.

30-Sep-23
Lacrosse alpha burley for years. a size larger for heavy sock and air circulation. use these in marshes also when waterfowl hunting in ND breaking ice and sitting for hrs.

30-Sep-23
Has anyone tried Baffin or Gumleaf brand boots?

30-Sep-23
Some of those Baffins look awesome, but I'd bet they're a b* to walk in.

Bought some 'Arctic Shield' boot covers a few years ago, size seems to be wrong. They're XL's supposed to fit over 12-13 but I can't get them over a size 11 hiker. Plan to try them with just a pac boot liner...

30-Sep-23
Boffins are warm, but not for covering ground

30-Sep-23
for all day tree stand or blind hunting, a super handwarmer inside a pack boot liner, inside a Boot Blanket is a go-to setup.

30-Sep-23
Unfortunately the 'Icebreaker' company seems to be out of production. Plenty available on e-bay.

30-Sep-23
I've used Muck WoodyMax for years. I couple them with 1-2 Alpaca socks, and sitting through late season (Dec 31) here in the north east has been fine. A literal all day sit in a stand... I dont know. But say 3-4 hours. That works well.

30-Sep-23
Army surplus "micky mouse" boots have kept my feet warmer than anything else I've tried. Option 2 for stand hunting is a Heater Body suit. Never go cold in one of those.

30-Sep-23
You southern people crack me up. 40 degrees is cold?!!!

Pete

30-Sep-23
"Again talking purely RUBBER boots and seeking comfort and warmth with ease of walking / climbing, and something that will get me down to zero and keep feet warm without foot warmer and just a good pair of socks."

I do not think that boot exists unless you are one of those that do not get cold.

30-Sep-23
Can't believe there are still treestand hunters that haven't discovered the Arctic Shield boot blankets paired with hand warmers yet. Not only the warmest option, the cheapest as well.

30-Sep-23
I’m one of the southern sissies that think 30’s are kinda cold. No argument there.

But I’m also of the opinion that there are no rubber boots that are going to keep me warm down in what I consider “cold”. For me boot blankets and warmers are the ticket as well.

—Jim

30-Sep-23
For you guys using the Arctic Shield boot blankets, are you taking off whatever you wear to the stand and then putting them on?

30-Sep-23
Heated socks for me was a game changer inside my rubber boots Wait about 2hrs to turn on and last the rest of the an all day sit on low setting

30-Sep-23
My feet tend to sweat way too much in rubber boots and then get cold that much faster. Switched to plain old hiking boots or lightly insulated danner pronghorn’s with the arctic shield boot blankets with the hand warmers tossed in during cold weather and that has been the best solution for me. Feet don’t get sweated up walking and I can go ahead and add the heat as soon as I am on stand without giving them a chance to get cold.

I know that doesn’t answer the direct question about rubber boots. If one exists that fits your description, I wouldn’t mind knowing what it is…

30-Sep-23
What RonP said.

30-Sep-23
At my size, my only good option in Real Cold has been to avoid sweating on the way in, strip the boots off at the stand, and jump into a down bag with a couple Nalgene bottles filled with hot drinks thrown in the bottom. Down parka with the drawstring of the bag cinched under my armpits.

I hate stand-hunting, but some days it’s the high-percentage option…

30-Sep-23
Dry Shod - NOSHO Ultra Hunt Men's Cold-Conditions Hunting Boot, Use arctic shield boot blankets if you need them as well.

30-Sep-23
Heavier hat and vest will help

01-Oct-23
I’m with Corax on this one. Kinda depends on whether we’re talkin cold or real cold, but my feet have never been so warm since I started taking my boots off. Moisture is the enemy, and rubber boots are as good at keeping it in as they are at keeping it out. Boots off, hot packs in a spare set of roomy felt boot liners, then all in the sleeping bag (or heater body suit in my case). Toasty is a ‘feat’ in a sasky treestand in November.

01-Oct-23
I’ve seen guys using the Down or Primloft Booties…Once in Stand they slip those on!

01-Oct-23
I use Steger Mukluks and use Icebreaker boot blankets if it's below zero

01-Oct-23
"For you guys using the Arctic Shield boot blankets, are you taking off whatever you wear to the stand and then putting them on?"

I don't. I wear my hiking boots in, when at the tree, I pull the cut off ends of some old wool socks over the toe of my boots, slip a handwarmer in on top of the toe, then put on the boot blankets.

01-Oct-23
Thanks midwest!

09-Oct-23
I have the muck arctic pro and sport, I mostly use the sport for November whitetail up here on Manitoba, I wear double socks and they go directly on the boot dryer when I get home. They also make a great moose hunting boot

09-Oct-23
Regardless of what boots, placing a sq of carpet or rubber mat, on the metal stand will surely help.

09-Oct-23
Arctic shield boot covers is the way to go. I carry them in my daypack and use when on stand. I have the Dryshods and the Mucks, and nothing compares to using the Arctic Shields.

09-Oct-23
For 40 and above, just wool socks in some $20 shitkickers. For 20-40, two wool socks in the next size larger shitkickers. For -20 to +20, pak boots. That's all I've ever used unless I'm walking more than sitting. If you're walking more than a mile, rubber is not the right material. Too much sweat.

09-Oct-23
Muck Sport or Muck Artic for days below zero

09-Oct-23

x-man's Link
You could always use these over your insulated leather boots if you're worried about leaving scent behind. We used to use these for farm chores when I was a kid.

09-Oct-23
Mickey boots (white) absolutly work.

12-Oct-23
Should prob start a new thread but what about keeping your hands warm? Suggestions?

12-Oct-23
Put em in yer boots. :)

I wear light gloves and use a muff with hot packs. Hands are toasty all day, and the light gloves are good enough for a couple minutes at ‘go time’.

12-Oct-23
Down!! Down slippers are the ticket! Wear your rubber boots in amd then drop them and put on down booties with two layers of socks and you'll be good to single digits. Want to go colder, add a hand warmer and you can go to zero, no problem.

12-Oct-23
instead of boot blankets which are cumbersome and noisy i put on bears feet over my boots on the stand. The thick felt layer really helps. I remove the velcro beforehand.

13-Oct-23
I switched from boot blankets to the LaCrosse Alpha Burley 1600gr boots. Much simpler and easier than the Arctic Shields.

13-Oct-23
Ive had great luck with muck boots and arctic boot covers when it gets colder. I also make sure to put my boots on the dryer each night. Dry boots=warm boots!

13-Oct-23
Problem is most of the good boots are now Made in China garbage. I’d look for Made in USA or Canada.

14-Oct-23
"For you guys using the Arctic Shield boot blankets, are you taking off whatever you wear to the stand and then putting them on?"

No, I put them on the top of my pack and they are the first thing I put on over my boots(40degrees and below) when I get up the tree and finish hoisting up my gear and bow. Why discard the heat you've generated getting to your stand and in position?

I wear only wool socks and somtimes a polypropylene liner sock under them.

14-Oct-23
Klim snowmobile boot. Very lightweight Very warm

14-Oct-23

kota-man's Link
Here you go…

Edit: Sorry… I just reread your post. From a “rubber boot” standpoint alone, Bunny Boots are as good as I’ve found.

14-Oct-23
Those Klim boots look nice.

15-Oct-23

DanaC's Link
Remember reading that sitting, you need about 2.5 times as much insulation as when 'active'. That means from the hat down.

Light hat for walking in, heavier hat for sitting. Add a neck gaiter. Down shirt. Bibs. Heavier boots. Best boots in the world don't do enough if the wind is sucking heat from your neck.

The book in the link is dated somewhat but still contains a ton of useful information. Especially on temperature 'management'.

15-Oct-23

Altitude Sickness 's embedded Photo
Altitude Sickness 's embedded Photo
When you get cold. your body directs the warm blood towards the center of your body, where your vital organs are the main focus. This keeps your body warm, but can leave you with numb fingers and toes!

Remember to do what ever you do to improve circulation. Drink plenty of water. Baby aspirin. Sitting in a tree stand it’s hard to move to keep the blood pumping.

As Dana said. Wear more on the entire body. Not just the feet. Especially the head and neck.

This hat may look silly. But it works amazingly well.

15-Oct-23
Good advice Jay, except the aspirin won't help, unless your start having a heart attack in the stand.

15-Oct-23

Z Barebow's Link
I finally found a good balance between warmth and comfort.

I wear my normal hiking boots to/from stand. Put these on as soon as it settle in. If it is bitter cold, I wear an old pair of Sorels and slip them over. Use them on the ice also.

15-Oct-23
Carcus, I have gotten excited in a stand but not at the heart attack level.

15-Oct-23
So Mickey Mouse/ Bunny Boots are used in the artic by the military, though they are "heavy" to wear. At my age, my extremities, hands and feet can't tolerate the cold. I've found relief using "Hot Hands" toe warmers for my boots, and hand warmers in a hand muff. They're good for 4 + hours.

15-Oct-23
I loved my Muck boots until a few years ago. My calves grew, and they became a real pain to put on and an even greater pain to take off. Now I just use a lightly insulated hiker/sneaker with boot blankets and hand warmers inside. I shoot a recurve, so my shooting hand fingers are exposed. I use a muff with a hand warmer inside, and have never had a problem keeping my hands warm.

15-Oct-23
I have quite the arsenal of boots and I believe the warmest ones are a pair of White's pac boots that have the removable felt liners. I've used them sitting to -15° and was barely able to cope but I have a pair of 400 gram Kenetreks that are cold on my feet at 30° so they must be pretty good!

• Sitka Gear