LBshooter 19-Oct-23
WYOelker 19-Oct-23
pav 19-Oct-23
Candor 19-Oct-23
Glunt@work 19-Oct-23
Candor 19-Oct-23
carcus 20-Oct-23
19-Oct-23
My son, 19 years old, has been shooting my old Bowtech Allegiance. Though his draw is about an inch longer than mine. I want to get him a decent bow. I am against buying kids the best of the best because I want them to have something to work for in life; and spoiling them is just not my nature. I really know little about bows, I bought a new RX7 last year and am thrilled with it. But he ain't getting one that high end....

I would like to spend less than $800 on it. Get him something with a whisker biscuit and a fixed pin site. If he gets more into archery he can upgrade later on his own earnings.

He still gun hunts probably 30% of the time.

Any suggestions? I am fine going a bit higher or lower if the delta in performance between a $600 and $800 bow is not material.

Thanks in advance

19-Oct-23
Look at the bear alaskan or the bear adapt.

19-Oct-23
You don't want to spoil him but yet your going to spend 800 dollars? I picked up a fully loaded mission eliminator 2 for 100 dollars. Needed it for a shoulder injury and pulling my trad bows was to tuff. This mission will last forever, and it shoots just fine, the deer will never know what hit them. Give him 300 bucks and tell him to go out and outfit himself off craigslist, plenty of bows for sale. He can get bow fully equipped with arrows and he'll be fine.

19-Oct-23
You don't want to spoil him but yet your going to spend 800 dollars? I picked up a fully loaded mission eliminator 2 for 100 dollars. Needed it for a shoulder injury and pulling my trad bows was to tuff. This mission will last forever, and it shoots just fine, the deer will never know what hit them. Give him 300 bucks and tell him to go out and outfit himself off craigslist, plenty of bows for sale. He can get bow fully equipped with arrows and he'll be fine.

19-Oct-23
19 years old And he should be buying his own?

I would offer to go half with him on a bow of his choice and say you half is up to $800. Then you will find out how serious he is…

As for which bow, if should be what ever one he chooses after shooting a ton of different bows…

19-Oct-23
Had a similar decision to make this past summer for my grandson's first bow...went with the Hoyt Torrex. No regrets to date...the 7" brace height is provides an extra level of forgiveness. Hoyt offers two FUSE accessory packages for the Torrex...one with a QAD fall away rest...and one with a whisker biscuit.

19-Oct-23
Great - unsolicited parenting advice. His contribution to the purchase is not really the relevant question. However, if you want to wade into that, what I do is I have my kids, on purchases like a gun or bow, they pay for 1/2, I pay for 1/2. I take their 1/2 (unbeknownst to them) and put it in stock account for them which will be handed over to them when they are older. On their first cars I contributed $2 for every dollar they contributed.

Back to the subject at hand - I appreciate the direction on the Hoyt and Bear. He will go to two bow shops and shoot bows, but I want to talk through some direction with him prior to him going so he only has to shoot a handful of bows. You start shooting a lot of different bows and you forget how the different bows felt.

19-Oct-23
I don't spoil my kids with the exception of hunting and fishing gear.

We shoot trad so I'm not much help with current compounds but nice work supporting his hunting. Is a new set of cams to match his draw on the Bowtech an option?

19-Oct-23
Thanks Glunt. He has been shooting an older bow for 4 or 5 years. He has been wanting to buy a bow so I am fine with going this route. I have a 2015 Strother Wrath that I thought about him getting modules for, but with this kid, he gets much more focused on something when he researches, shops and buys it. Same was true for his first shotgun when he was like 11. However, with a bow I don't think he will make the same level of evaluation that he made with things like his car and guns. Entry to mid-line bows are hard to narrow down, IMO. Forums like this are awesome for information sharing and I am grateful for it.

20-Oct-23
Lots of options on archery talk classified, 2 year old flagship bows go for $500 or less

• Sitka Gear