JTreeman 20-Oct-23
DonVathome 20-Oct-23
soccern23ny 20-Oct-23
Bou'bound 20-Oct-23
Beendare 20-Oct-23
Sivart 20-Oct-23
Tracker 20-Oct-23
19-Oct-23
What do you like for balance between weight, cost, comfort, and durability ?

19-Oct-23
I have a few Thermarest pads, big one from the 90's, a more lighter and shaped newer one. I also have a Kryptec static V pad that I like. I tried a thicker pad, it was horrible but it was an off brand.

19-Oct-23

19-Oct-23
That's Klymit Static V pad

19-Oct-23
For serious back packing?

19-Oct-23
Therm-a-rest Neoair Xtherm if we're talking backpacking.

19-Oct-23
Exo mint gear

19-Oct-23
For what? Time of year, terrain, expected weather, base camp, bivouac, # of days, your tolerance? No one size fits all.

19-Oct-23
My klymit static v has taken ridiculous abuse for about 6 years now. Just came back from Alaska where it was 13° as a low. It never even needed to be blown up a second time on an 8 day hunt. I'm impressed. I'm not easy on my gear either

19-Oct-23
Thermarest Neo Air XTHERM is best of all worlds for me and fit all of your categories Grant.

20-Oct-23
When it comes to my pad I don’t care about price. I’m a side sleeper and I need my sleep. Exped Dura 8. Also the highest R value on the market.

20-Oct-23
NeoAir Xtherm for me as well, I have several, and any kind of serious backpack hunt that is the one I take!

—Jim

20-Oct-23
Like Ambush asked backpacking or main camp where weight does not matter?

Backpacking thermarest neoair. Main camp cabelas camp pad, foam. Big and bulky but VERY warm and comfortable.

20-Oct-23
Recently got a Nemo inflating sleeping pad. I am now sold on inflatables. I toss and turn on a good day but this is way comfortable. Even sleeping on your side. It's a bit heavier than some foam pads but it takes up way less room. Comfort gained and real estate saved is worth the weight.

Check out outdoorgearlab .com. always a great place for gear re reviews imo

20-Oct-23
Good info thanks guys

20-Oct-23
I’ve owned and seen a bunch.

First, get a rated pad….one with a high R value in the 4-5 range minimum. This is especially when paired with a down bag. If its not rated- pass.

Some manufacturers have had a high failure rate- like the BA inflatables.

The best I’ve seen- and own- are a high R value made by Thermarest or Xped

20-Oct-23
neo air xlite. although I recommend the wide, larger size, no matter how tall you are. Worth the few ounces more.

20-Oct-23
I took a page from the guys that do a long hunt in Alaska with days spent in the tent from bad weather. I started with a Helinox Cot and paired it with a Big Agnes Q-Core insulated pad. That cot can fit in a 2 man tent and is small and Light weight. Nice thing about the pad is that is design keeps you centered on the pad. I am a side sleeper and can make it all night without sore hips.

• Sitka Gear