justuskofa45 26-Jan-24
Venom16730 26-Jan-24
Lewis 26-Jan-24
WV Mountaineer 26-Jan-24
carcus 26-Jan-24
Stick 28-Jan-24
DonVathome 03-Feb-24
21-Nov-23
I need recommendations for a new head lamp, already bought a piece of junk. I like a good red light and the one I have now sucks, can't see a thing with the red lamp. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help.

21-Nov-23
foothold. Diamond makes a variety of good ones both AAA and rechargeable with red lights. I will advise reading/saving the manual until you know all the extra controls they have.

21-Nov-23
If I gotta have a book to work a flashlight it’s probably not the right one for me…

—Jim

22-Nov-23
Look at Fenix, not cheap but top quality. Personally I find green light better than red in the woods.

22-Nov-23

DanaC's Link
This page has some recommendations

22-Nov-23
Use to use black diamond headlamp but have moved to Fenix. Nothing wrong with black diamond, just get more for your money with Fenix. Currently running Fenix HP16R

22-Nov-23
Fenix, and I also love my Petzl Nao with reactive (auto brightness) capability.

22-Nov-23
Armytek Elf

22-Nov-23
if a rechargeable will work for you, take a look at the black diamond storm 500. i use one regularly for work and like it.

22-Nov-23
Sofirn D25LR. Bright white, great red, rechargeable, good battery life, about $20.

22-Nov-23
Make sure whichever one you get has an off switch that can be set so it can’t be turned on without holding the switch for several seconds (commonly referred to as a lockout feature). Some Black Diamond models have this feature and it’ll help prevent it from accidentally getting turned on in your pack and running the batteries dead. I’d also recommend a unit with replaceable batteries vs a rechargeable unit so you can replace batteries in the field during a multiple day hunt vs trying to figure out how to recharge it.

22-Nov-23
Timex?, LOL, I thought I had great night vision too. Decided to walk to the stand in the dark instead. Jammed a stick in my right (aiming) eye and it flicked out my contact lens. Later in the day I missed a 35 yard shot at one of our target bucks. At least I had an excuse. You usually don't think of a headlamp costing you a buck, but I'm sticking to my excuse here.

22-Nov-23
Another sofirn user. Green is better than white but still kills some of my night vision. This headlamp has one of the brightest red lights I’ve seen yet. Lasts several days on a charge on 2nd or 3rd brightest setting, and will light up the forest on brightest setting. I use red 95% of the time to keep my night vision in tact, because most of my hiking doesn’t involve trails. I need to be able to see where I’m going, and landmarks along the way. White will get you turned around sometimes in those situations:)

22-Nov-23
Gaffer,

Your eyes need time to adjust to only the red light. While on submarine duty the control room rigs for red at least fifteen minutes before coming up to periscope depth when it is the dark of night above. You may be too impatient to get the advantage of the red. Red will not project very far beyond your location as white light does in casting a seemingly endless beam, sometimes visible over the hill or through the trees.

Jethro,

How do you make that light red? Nothing in the details mentions a red lens.

22-Nov-23

Jethro's Link
WildBill, I've purchased a few from Sofirn's website. I always click on "ships from US". Not everything always in stock, but they ship from China too. Have to watch cause they do sell an all white and a white/red model.

Just this morning I got a sales email from Sofirn and I clicked on it and it took me to Amazon, which is what Iinked in this post Its the white/red model.

22-Nov-23
I believe that’s the one I have and really like it! Been through elk and now deer hunting, with quite a bit of use. No issues, good battery life and like I said, the red is very bright.

22-Nov-23
thanks everyone, just have to decide from all the good choices

22-Nov-23
Princeton Tec Vizz, hands down

22-Nov-23
Costco has a 3 pack of headlamps that are 575 lumens for under $20. I looked at DanaC link. Told the wife that number #1 rated headlamp would make a great stocking stuffer LOL.

27-Nov-23
Really like the elf Lewis

01-Dec-23
I like the Coast headlamps and flashlights for the lumens and the cost.

01-Dec-23
Been using black diamond for over ten years now and been very happy with them.

01-Dec-23
Lee and Tiffany have partnered with "Ultimate Wild" spotlights and flashlites, you should check them out. Hope this helps.

02-Dec-23
I have a Fenix based off a few recommendations on a bow site post. It has been great.

Someone above said to get one that has a safeguard against accidentally turning on inside your pack. The cheap ones I have used have not had this. Highly recommend. My Fenix does.

04-Dec-23
Coast as well

04-Dec-23
I love my Peax. I bit pricy, but it was a gift.

05-Dec-23
When I moved to Alaska, about 22 years ago, I asked friends that worked up on the North Slope, what flashlights their companies and they used up there. Pelican headlamps was what some of them said. With the extreme conditions and temperatures we have here in Alaska, I figured that Pelican must be a good headland if that is what some were using way up north. I have used Pelican headlamps ever since and have NEVER had one break or fail. There are not cheap, but I don't want to risk having one quit or break, when I am depending on it.

26-Jan-24
I'm pretty new to all this gear stuff, so hearing about features like the lockout feature is super helpful. I can totally see how it'd be a lifesaver to prevent those accidental battery drains. And the bit about replaceable batteries vs rechargeable units makes total sense too, especially for longer trips. Imagine being out on a multiple-day hunt and your rechargeable flashlight dies on you—yikes! Speaking of lighting, I recently stumbled upon these modern light fixtures at Seus Lighting. They've got some pretty slick entryway chandeliers that caught my eye https://www.seuslighting.com/collections/entryway-chandelier. Definitely worth checking out if you're into sprucing up your place.

26-Jan-24
Bright eyes

26-Jan-24
My elf quit on it is warranted but the hoops you have to jump through to get it fixed is a pain in the butte Lewis

26-Jan-24
Princeton tec makes some good’er ones.

26-Jan-24
I've been using petzl and fenix forever, both are great, I mostly use petzl tho

28-Jan-24
Princeton Tec are great..abit pricey, but they have a no questions life time warranty...I have had two replaced in 20 years...brand new in the mail in a week......

03-Feb-24
Petzl.

I also try to use my night vision as much as possible. Probably not smart in some of the dangerous terrain I have been in!

• Sitka Gear