Beendare 12-Feb-24
Tilzbow 12-Feb-24
BULELK1 13-Feb-24
svmoose 10-Apr-24
greg simon 10-Apr-24
WV Mountaineer 10-Apr-24
JTreeman 10-Apr-24
05-Feb-24
What, in your opinion, is the very best lightweight tripod?

This would be for a mid-range spotter and binos for mountain hunting.

I don't care about cost and I don't care about height - I don't need to be standing.

What I care about most is weight and stability in wind.

05-Feb-24
Outdoorsman Carbon Innegra in the height that suits your needs.

The weight plenty for one tall enough to stand up at times is minimal and the extra section adds robustness. I regretted any tripod that didnt have that extra section. If that’s too much strain on the budget look at a silk 334 also

05-Feb-24
You'd have to be a PA to be able to afford that! ;-)

05-Feb-24
Tricer AD. Ed F

https://tricerusa.com/collections/all-products/products/tricer-ad?utm_source=Google&utm_campaign=20500915895&utm_medium=ad&utm_content=&utm_term=&gclid=CjwKCAiAq4KuBhA6EiwArMAw1NniKd40GtsNo7MM02O-DyKP0k5DTpr5lzWHz694induchQxwMamqRoCXmYQAvD_BwE

05-Feb-24
Tricer-AD, $349... WOW...

05-Feb-24
Trial, I don't need to stand up. I'm usually laying down or sitting for most of my glassing. All I care about is something that is sturdy in the wind and light weight. I live and die by ounces when hunting sheep/goats.

And when I said "mid-range spotter," what I meant was size. I'm using a 20-60x80 swaro.

05-Feb-24
Oh, I read it as "is the height" instead of "in the height" which completely changes what you were saying.

05-Feb-24
Ed, that weighs 32 oz. My Slik mini weighs 30 oz.

Someone recommended a Gitzo. It weighs almost 4 lbs.

I'm willing to pay Gitzo money. I want something that weighs less than 30 oz.

I can't find the Innegra on their website. Outdoorsman's website sucks.

05-Feb-24
Found it. The smallest Innegra is still 31 oz and what I remember from Outdoorsman, when I looked into them the last time I was shopping for tripods, was that you had to send them all your optics to mount special attachments on everything and then there's mounting brackets, etc, it all adds weight.

There's got to be something that's lighter than a cheapo Slik.

05-Feb-24
You might call Doug at Cameraland New York and ask his opinion.

05-Feb-24
I don’t think you’d be disappointed with outdoorsman’s idk what head you like to run I have the standard tripod and pan head but you can shave more weight by using their micro pan head that’s where the real weight savings comes in compared to other heads I’ve looked at just need their baseplate super easy and extremely well made

05-Feb-24
Weight and stability are typically inverse of each other.

I don’t think you will find anything out there that shaves much if any weight off of your current setup without sacrificing stability.

06-Feb-24
The base tripod will take any plate you put on it. Even arca Swiss … there is no special attachments needed. I owned the silk mini, as well as the 324 and 334. Also two models made by RRS which are regarded as the best tripods made by people that use them daily. The outdoorman is a better product for hunting purposes. You slik Mini isn’t in the same ball park.

06-Feb-24
I've had the same Slik 612 since 2010. I even took the extending column off and it works incredible. They don't make the two leg version anymore, but my setup with a GH5 camera Leica 100-400 lens (960mm equiv) a manfrotto mini fluid head and the Slik is right in at about 6 lbs.

Anyone who says a Slik is a cheopo is sorely mistaken. It is one of the best pieces of equipment I've ever owned and still use for most of my filming to this day.

I have a 600mm Nikkor with a giant gitzo carbon tripod and giant fluid head. While it is incredible weights 21 lbs all in and I just aint carrying around so much as I used to :)

Here's the kind of video and steadiness it does. https://rumble.com/vni1ck-unicorn-and-friends-2020.html

Just my $0.02

Cheers, Pete

06-Feb-24

SaddleReaper's Link
Take a look at Aziak Equipment.

Note: I have no actual experience with this brand's products, but came across them recently and it looks like they're worth consideration, especially given your requirements. These products look very well thought out and designed.

FWIW I have a Promaster XC-M525C tripod topped with a Sirui VA-5 fluid head which is pretty light weight and has also the height capability for standing use, but it sounds like that's more tripod than you're looking for.

06-Feb-24

HDE's Link
Probably the Javelin by Spartan.

06-Feb-24
The head is far more important than the legs. I have a carbon fiber Gitzo legs and if I had it to do over I wouldn’t have wasted my money. Nothing special. Just 8oz lighter than the other quality tripods costing 1/2 as much. The head determines how steady it holds the image and how smoothly it handles motion when you’re tracking.

06-Feb-24
Ive been usin the vortex for a few years, very light weight and durable. .02

10-Feb-24

BULELK1's embedded Photo
BULELK1's embedded Photo

BULELK1's Link
Iddy----->I've been using this new one and it is pretty versatile.

I haven't used it for Dig-scoping yet, so I haven't had my spotting scope on it.

Very lite and sturdy tough.

Enjoy,

Robb

10-Feb-24

BULELK1's embedded Photo
BULELK1's embedded Photo
Travels fairly compact.

10-Feb-24
Lightweight tripods cause problems for hunting in windy conditions in the mountains. They are just not stable for glassing.

I use a cheap, lightweight tripod, BUT.... I carry a small mesh bag and some cord. I hang the bag from the tripod, with a nice rock in it, to stabilize said scope for easier glassing

There is no charge for this handy tip.....! It's just the sort of thing that old sheep hunters know!

Pete

10-Feb-24
That's interesting Robb. The stats list it as 2 lbs. What exactly were you weighing when you got that, what looks like a 1.1 lb measurement?

Thanks for everyone's insights. I have 4 different tripods, I'm specifically looking for something to fit a niche need, which is going after a target animal with the lightest setup possible on a 1, 2, or 3 day trip.

I'm not looking to spend hours glassing through a spotter looking for animals with this tripod. I'm specifically looking for something that's lightweight that will allow me to stabilize my spotter for the few seconds that I need to confirm my animal.

When you have limited time and you have to climb thousands of feet, 1 lb makes a huge difference and for what they accomplish, tripods are a very heavy piece of equipment.

11-Feb-24
2 lbs is with everything carried. 1.11 oz/ lbs are just the items I used on it.

True that, the higher I have a tripod the more the wind affects its stability.

Good luck, Robb

11-Feb-24
Robb - are you sure it’s not 1lb - 11oz? That is how I read it, but I could’ve be wrong too.

—Jim

12-Feb-24
Pete - "Lightweight tripods cause problems for hunting in windy conditions in the mountains. They are just not stable for glassing. I use a cheap, lightweight tripod"

How lightweight is your tripod? What do you guys consider lightweight? I have 3 or 4 short (40" - 50") lightweights and I don't like the stability of none of them...

12-Feb-24
My CF Sirui at 2# has been hard to beat.

Edit; I picked up the Sirui AT-125 on their website for under $120 and it came with a light fluid head. I put my Sirui Ball head on there {that I really like] and it's all in under 2#. The AT-125 extends up to about 57"

I tried the lighter Aoka that everyone was raving about on Rokslide and was extremely disappointed in how stable it was.

12-Feb-24
I really like both Siriu carbon tripods I have; one is super compact and good for backpacking while the other is more of a truck tripod and even at 6’6” I can use it standing up. Siriu has a lot of different options. Both of the ones I own are paired with a Outdoorsman’s pan head but that head might be overkill for your application since you don’t plan to glass for long periods.

13-Feb-24
Sure Jim, 1.11 oz./ lbs.

I should have been more specific.

Good luck, Robb

10-Apr-24

svmoose's Link
We just released the MTN SS Tripod from MTN HNTR - designed for hunters. We streamlined whats been on the market into a simple 2 leg design that weighs only 21 ounces but is extremely stable due to the larger diameter legs and lack of multiple connection points. It really performs well. You can pair it with our little fluid head that is really smooth and supports pretty much any optic. We have a number of customers using the Swarovski BTX 115 on it. Happy to answer any questions. https://mtnhntr.com/products/ss-carbon-fiber-hunting-tripod

10-Apr-24
That MTN SS looks pretty nice!

10-Apr-24
For stand up spotter use when scouting deer, I use an aluminum one I bought from Cameraland. I can’t remember the name but, Doug recommended them and as usual, it does what he said it would.

For hunting I pack around a leupold carbon tripod. It does a good job too. But, in windy stuff I’ve got to put some weight on the center section hook.

Ike, have you thought about buying glass that weighs less? If you are just looking for confirmation of the goat or sheep, there are some dinger smaller units that would do that and even compare to the swaro.

Watch S&S’s spotter review from last year. Steve and one of his buds set up about 10 of the “best” spotters on the market. One of swaro’s was middle of the road in light gathering and crispness. The other they ranked third I believe. There were several smaller spotters they claimed were more clear and brighter in low light. Just something to consider.

10-Apr-24

• Sitka Gear