DonVathome 03-Mar-24
Tilzbow 03-Mar-24
Ron Niziolek 03-Mar-24
DonVathome 03-Mar-24
Mule Power 03-Mar-24
Tilzbow 03-Mar-24
DonVathome 04-Mar-24
02-Mar-24
I am very confused with MT elk NR point system. I want to draw a "general" elk tag. Hopefully I said that correctly. I got a point last Nov (aprox $103). I apply alone and I am hoping to draw this year. I believe I can buy another point THEN apply right? That way I have 2 points for this year draw. What are my draw odds?

02-Mar-24
That is correct. Buy pp when you apply and you will have 2points. Not sure odds but I believe above 80%. 0% with 1 point

02-Mar-24
Thanks!

02-Mar-24
That is correct Dawn. For the record, the word “general“ is the term in Montana. Not in Montana. But we get the idea. I assume you’re hunting on your own. If you book with an outfitter you can gain an additional point. Last time I checked anyway. There are changes every year.

02-Mar-24
In Montana the proper terms are non-res elk combination license which is elk only. Non-Res a deer combination which is deer only. The last one is big game combo. That is for elk and deer. People get confused by the word combo. They use that because it includes fishing, small game and upland bird hunting.

I’ll answer a question for lots of guys before they even ask. When you get your license it will show the dates that it is valid for. Those dates will be the rifle season dates. Archery hunters always freak out because it doesn’t appear to be valid during September. It is actually good for both archery and rifle. Montana has been printing them that way for years. Stupidest thing ever that a fish and game department has yet to change.

02-Mar-24
Also confusing is that there are preference points AND bonus points. When you say you bought a point, which one?

02-Mar-24
Scoot. I believe you can only purchase the point that helps you for a unit….. you can’t just purchase the point that helps you get a general tag - you get that point if you don’t get selected for a tag and check the box for that point. Weird system.

02-Mar-24
It is a weird system and I wish they'd just change it so that it wasn't so convoluted.

03-Mar-24
It’s a ridiculous system. Preference points are for general tag. Bonus points are for limited quota units. The most ridiculous part is you have to draw a general tag before you can even enter the limited quota draw.

03-Mar-24
Thanks guys! I believe I got the correct point which is actually why I put the dollar amount in the post.

I did that because or a few years ago I put in for a point and got the wrong kind the one that helps you in the limited entry units.

Yes hunting alone.

MT system is odd and they screwed the NR's recently by eliminating accrued points but most "elk" states screw NR's.

Thanks for the help I tried reading info on fwp website and got more confused!

03-Mar-24
I am trying to buy my 2024 preference point now, before I apply, and cannot figure out how to do this? I can only find a way to get a preference point when I apply for a NR elk combination license. Even then when I try to apply it forces me to select "I am not Appling for an elk permit" I cannot select:

"If successful in drawing a Big Game Combination or Elk Combination license and unsuccessful in drawing a special elk permit, I wish to retain my Big Game Combination or Elk Combination license and understand that I have a "General" elk license and can hunt elk in Montana following the regulations for General Elk. (Big Game Combinations include general Elk and Deer licenses)"

If I select above it defaults to an error and says my group leader selected "I am not applying for an elk permit."

I selected "No" when asking if I am applying as a party (1st question on the page).

Something seems weird. I tried 3x and get the same result

03-Mar-24
Blood that is INCORRECT.

03-Mar-24
Pop, can you please explain how it works? I was under the impression there are points for a unit and points for a general tag. You can buy one for the unit without buying anything else. And the point for the general tag is only available if you apply for the tag and don’t get the tag….or you get it but turn it back in and you can keep your point. Can you help? Thank you.

03-Mar-24
You can buy a preference point for the elk or big game combination license for next year (what some are calling the general tag) without applying for the license this year but that option is only available later in the year; 7/1 - 12/31.

03-Mar-24
The “I am not Applying for an elk permit” question is marked and needs to be since you're only applying for an “Elk or Big Game combination license” and not adding an additional option for a limited area elk unit permit. Permit vs license..

03-Mar-24
Tilzbo understood thanks! I thought that might be it but I never saw a way to apply for a limited entry area - if I understand correctly it cannot hurt to apply for the LE unit - correct? Hence my confusion. What I am guessing is I can apply for the big game elk combo license AND a LE unit but since I never see that option I think I am wrong?

Thanks!!!!!!!!!

03-Mar-24
The elk permit option is available under the application section in the first screen.

03-Mar-24
Something else to consider. I bought preference points for a couple years and when I checked my points a year later it said I had zero. You can buy a point once but if you don’t actually apply for a tag the following year, your points return to zero.

03-Mar-24
Thanks Ron, I know! They also purged points a coupe years ago.

Thanks again Tilzbow I thought I looked for something like that but I must have missed it. I apply in a lot of states but MT makes me feel dumber than usual!

03-Mar-24
Don if you are online and having issues call 406-444-2950 That’ll get you straight to the licensing department

03-Mar-24

04-Mar-24
Thanks I was going to give them a call today just to be safe.

• Sitka Gear