wytex 04-Mar-24
tobywon 04-Mar-24
wytex 04-Mar-24
soccern23ny 04-Mar-24
Patdel 04-Mar-24
70lbDraw 04-Mar-24
badbull 04-Mar-24
03-Mar-24
I’m curious if there are any veterans here that served in the gulf between 1990 and 1993? Specifically, anyone that was diagnosed with, or experienced symptoms of Gulf War Syndrome.

03-Mar-24
Not me, I spent my departure date in intensive care from a motorcycle accident. But I know a few of my friends that served battled with it, so yes.

03-Mar-24
PM sent Scar.

03-Mar-24
I spent 6 months there. We were leapfrogging our way up and our mission was completed before I left Saudi Arabia. Near the border of Kuwait and Saudi .

04-Mar-24
I was there. Taskforce PapaBear, 1st BN 11th Marines. No symptoms, but I didn't take the pills they gave us either.

04-Mar-24
I served, but I'm healthy.

04-Mar-24
Timex,

It's an illness they believe was caused by the pills to combat the Sarin gas, or the gas itself... It was supposed to protect our troops from it... I know some people also think it was caused by the fumes from the oil fires and soot from it...

Some guys got it and some didn't, I know it can be very debilitating!

04-Mar-24
Lost the gym owner in our town last week, he shot himself. Was 41 and served in Iraq. We who knew him are all trying to figure this out, he left a wife and 2 young sons. Shot himself in front of his wife and co workers at her job. Going to work out is going to be sad today. Have a cousin with issues after he served as well. Prayers to you all who are struggling.

04-Mar-24
That's terrible wytex, just sad. Prayers to his family and friends and prayers to all our veterans that are struggling with issues!!

04-Mar-24
Workout today was just sad, had to leave early. Sounds like they did not see it coming, his family and friends.

Hoping anyone with issues will reach out for help.

04-Mar-24
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gulf_War_syndrome#:~:text=Before%201998%2C%20the%20terms%20Gulf,of%20the%201991%20Gulf%20War.

Lots of literature out there.

Leading guess are low level repeated exposure to sarin gas via attempted attacks on usa troops and us simply bombing their facilities.

Other leading guess is exposure to pesticides used during the war.

Bromide pills are suspected as a possible cause but worth noting that Iraqi forces suffer equally from this disease and did not take any pills.

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/3586430-these-11-gop-senators-voted-against-the-honoring-our-pact-act/

PACT act expanded veteran health coverage for this illness. Initially Republicans were blocking this bill but in the final vote only 11 voted against it... all of them republicans

04-Mar-24
I was there in 93. Im healthy.

04-Mar-24
“Exactly what is Gulf War syndrome.”

I’m still trying to understand it myself. I did 3 shipboard tours in the Gulf during Desert Storm. While I was there, the skies were constantly black from the oil fires, and the U.S. had Apparently bombed some suspected weapons depots in the theater. When they destroyed the weapons, there was a low level release of Sarin Nerve Agent. They gave out Pyridostigmine to counter the nerve agent, and they administered an anthrax vaccine which is suspected to have caused some issues. Ironically, when those were administered, they were not documented in anyone’s service record…why?…good question. (As a side note. This is exactly why I never got the COVID jab.)

I’ve been trying to connect with the fellas I used to serve with to see if they are having any issues, but that’s as tough as getting straight answers from the people in the know.

04-Mar-24
I also wonder about PTSD symptoms that those that served in the Gulf War might be experiencing. It seems like PTSD would be a problem as always in all of our wars. Thanks to all that are serving or have served.

• Sitka Gear