DonVathome 06-Mar-24
Bowfreak 06-Mar-24
Grey Ghost 06-Mar-24
Sam 06-Mar-24
PushCoArcher 06-Mar-24
DonVathome 06-Mar-24
RK 06-Mar-24
03-Mar-24
This is actually for an ocean fishing trip to Mexico in August. Water temps will be 90 and air temps 100. No AC on boat. Any tips for staying cool? I see these $25 neck fans on Amazon do they help? Before everyone calls me a pansy I am not at all worried about myself. There are 3 of us going on one tends to be "not tough" to put it nicely.

I am not going back to the dock because someone got hot so I am trying to come up with ideas.

Obviously lots of cold water, brimmed hats, white shirts and, to put it frankly, balls.

03-Mar-24
Lots of beer. ;-)

Seriously, I've spent many hours on a skiff in 100 degree tropical heat. We've left Colorado in snow storms to arrive in the Florida heat a day later. The first few days are always brutal. It usually takes me at least 3 days to fully acclimate. The right clothing helps, including a hoodie on your long sleeve shirts, long light weight pants, and gloves. Basically, try to cover every inch of skin. My wife brings an umbrella, which I admit I've used a few times.

That said, there's no magic formula that I've found. If you can, spend a few days letting your body acclimate. Otherwise, a full day in tropical sun that you're not used to can not only be miserable, but also dangerous.

03-Mar-24
yep, Grey Ghost nailed it! Some of those trips can be brutal in the summer! SPF clothing and really good, vented fishing hat with a large brim and really good sunscreen! Tons of water before after and during the trip.

But those trips can be awesome! But be prepared to get sun burned and be hot!!

03-Mar-24
Don, another thought. I'm not sure what kind of fishing you will be doing, or the size of the boat, number of people, willingness of your captain etc...so this might not be possible. But, when we get overheated, a quick high speed spin in the boat does wonders. We've often bailed out of a stagnant hole in the mangroves to hit open water and get some wind on our wilting bodies. It makes a huge difference.

03-Mar-24
Ask Idyllwild.

03-Mar-24
I also use a neck wrap that's filled with polymer gel beads that swell up when wet, and cools for hours as the moisture evaporates. Lots of different ones out there.

03-Mar-24
Try going out on a boat with AC if you're worried about the other guys.

03-Mar-24
Get yourself butt-naked.

04-Mar-24
Is this a multi day trip. Or a day trip ? Does the boat have at least a Bimini top? Or a cabin.

Take a Garmin Inreach or something similar. Some of the Mexican fishing boats communications can be sketchy at best.

04-Mar-24

BULELK1's embedded Photo
BULELK1's embedded Photo
I've used these for years in the Heat.

I like to freeze overnight.

Ya just keep 'em wet and they really help keep your core body temp relatively kool.

This pic is from 1 of my scouting trips on my Ut. Desert Ram tag last July.

116 degrees for highs and mid-90's for lows.

04-Mar-24
Thanks guys! We are going for 3 days fishing. I did not think it would be to bad until I learned water temp could be 90. That is not cool, not even average, that would feel hot to jump into. Getting wet was my plan to stay cool. Not anymore!

Reminds me of a time my friends and I were in Vegas. 2 guys were considering moving there and had appointments with a realtor. It was July. Within 24 hours both cancelled the realtor and said No way they were moving. My brother lives there and was giving us a ride to the airport. His AC was broke so we had the windows down. My buddy said it felt like you were blowing a hot hair dryer in your face! It was funny but he was right, man it was brutal.

I also figure a cooler and some poly stuff, cool it off a few times and put on your next to get temporary relief.

Very curious about the neck fans too. I do not mind heat - but that is easy to say sitting in my office in climate control.

04-Mar-24
Don. What kind of boat did you book ?

04-Mar-24
That’s why I go on larger long range boats. A/C through the boat especially important below in the state rooms

06-Mar-24
28' "standard", it does not have AC

06-Mar-24
I figured Ike would post pics?

06-Mar-24
Don, what does "standard" mean?

A 28' foot fishing boat will usually have a center console with a T-top. If so, just that little bit of shade from the T-top will be a big help. Some of the newer models have a feature that squirts a fine fresh water mist out of the T-top. Those are nice, but I wouldn't expect it on a Mexican charter boat.

Otherwise, I think you're searching for a solution that doesn't exist. It's going to be brutal hot, and likely humid. You'll have to get used to being sticky sweaty all day. Stay hydrated, cover all your skin with SPF clothing, and tell your wussy friend to man up. ;-)

06-Mar-24
If this is Cabo, your probably going at the worst time of year to fish.

06-Mar-24
Kuiu Gila LS hoody in the white or blue is the best shirt I've used for offshore fishing in the heat.

06-Mar-24
It is 1 hour north of Cabo. Fishing charts say it is a great time, others say iffy. I am talking about fishing, not heat. I wanted to do June bot got "overruled"

06-Mar-24
Are fishing on the Bite-Me Boat? That's a real charter boat in los barriles

• Sitka Gear