CFMuley's embedded Photo
CFMuley's embedded Photo
CFMuley's embedded Photo
CFMuley's embedded Photo
CFMuley's embedded Photo
CFMuley's embedded Photo
CFMuley's embedded Photo
CFMuley's embedded Photo
Just got back from an incredible trip to Greenland hunting with Ling’s. We went 5 for 5 as a group with 3 of those being archery kills. I enjoyed this hunt way more than expected and would highly recommend it to anyone that is considering it. Weather was great most of the time, and the muskox were plentiful.

29-Mar-24

CFMuley's embedded Photo
CFMuley's embedded Photo
CFMuley's embedded Photo
CFMuley's embedded Photo
CFMuley's embedded Photo
CFMuley's embedded Photo
CFMuley's embedded Photo
CFMuley's embedded Photo

29-Mar-24
Congrats! It looks awesome! Where did you buy the pants and jacket? It looks like seal skin.

29-Mar-24
The outfitter provided them Blue Buck. I wish I could’ve bought some and brought them back, but it’s not legal to bring back into the US. They were incredibly warm. Almost too warm a lot of the time.

29-Mar-24
Karsten and his family are absolutely great we did that hunt last September and it is a special place and they are great people. The spring hunt is really cool looks like you guys made a lifelong memory there well done.

29-Mar-24
Wow, congratulations on a beautiful animal!

Great pics thanks for sharing them.

29-Mar-24
Very nice, congrats on your success!

29-Mar-24
Looks amazing, congrats!

29-Mar-24
Congrats. This is on the bucket list!!

29-Mar-24
Congratulations…

29-Mar-24
Congratulations! On my bucket list as well

29-Mar-24
That's a pope and young snowshoe hare if I've ever seen one. Wow. I'd go just for that! Thanks for sharing. Looks like a hell of a good time.

29-Mar-24
Nice job, photos, writeup and ox!

Would have gone to Greenland for a CCBGC if the third trip to Nunavut had turned out unsuccessful.

29-Mar-24
Awesome pics, congrats!

29-Mar-24
Congratulations

29-Mar-24
What are your plans for the ox??

29-Mar-24

29-Mar-24
Bou, I’m going to pedestal mount him and keep the back half to either make something or throw it over a couch.

29-Mar-24
That will be very nice. Be prepared for extraordinary taxidermy costs. A European mount was going to be 3,200 USD after the costs for shipping to Denmark, veterinarian clearance, storage, taxidermist prep or full scope of work (was only $350 for Euro mount), crating, shipping back to US, customs clearance in US via agent, shipping from US port to residence (or to your US taxidermist). Alos the prices you will be working with are in Euros which is +7% to USD.

We opted not to bother as I had two Europeans from Artic hunts previously. A European with a tanned hide was going to be $4,000. Shoulders and pedestals more. The taxidermist in Denmark is excellent and not expensive in and of himself, but everything else is in the process and the process is people intensive, and everyone is involved.

They will not allow multiple hunters to combine shipping (regulation by customs in our country) unless it is spouses living in same residence. My son and I could not combine to save money.

29-Mar-24
Heck yeah!!!!!! I love it!!!!! Congrats!!

29-Mar-24
Congrats

29-Mar-24
Congrats on a great hunt and the pics are amazing.

29-Mar-24
Awesome!! I’ll be there in September and can’t wait!

29-Mar-24
Congrats on a great trip! Lings and their operation are top shelf.

30-Mar-24
Awesome- many congrats!

30-Mar-24
This is awesome! Congrats.

Thanks for sharing your story and photos here. Definitely considering this hunt when I retire soon.

30-Mar-24
Looks like an awesome trip! Congrats on the muskox!

30-Mar-24
Looks like a great trip and memory. Congrats

30-Mar-24
Congratulations! Great pictures

Look like you had a terrific time. A muskox hunt is second to none as far as I’m concerned with the whole adventure involved.

30-Mar-24
can you share more pictures and provide more detail of the hunt and the days afield.

30-Mar-24
Great hunt love the pictures thanks for sharing Good luck Lewis

30-Mar-24
Congratulations on a fantastic hunt and muskox……..well done!

30-Mar-24
Bou just looking for future info. But is that price you have for all listed items? From outfitter to door step? I have always heard getting stuff home from greenalnd was expensive but honestly doesn't seem super extreme. If you look at hunting africa dip and pack $1000, shipping $1000, customs clearance $1000. Seems on par with the rest. No doubt it's a tough pill to swallow. I have always thought of going and hunting greenland for OX but was always kind of nervous with costs of getting trophys home? Hopefully one day I'll make it when my kids can come along and experience it

30-Mar-24
G5 if I remember correctly 2 ox One was an entire flat skin with a European the second was a tanned cape and clean skull cap… all that and shipping and clearance back to the states ( Kennedy airport) ran me about 5 g …that’s was with Karsten 7 years ago I think

30-Mar-24
I’ll post more pics, and respond to PM’s when I get some time tomorrow.

31-Mar-24
Yes, the price I quoted was from Camp to my wall with the actual taxidermy work which in this case was just cleaning a skull being done in Denmark.

You could also have the Denmark taxidermist, just prepare the body parts for whatever you wanted done by your taxidermist in the states, and have it shipped to your taxidermist after clearing US customs

That would either save you or cost you , depending on the difference between the cost your at home taxidermist charged compared to the Denmark guy

Other than that option all costs and step in the process are the same

I will say the Karsten does one thing that’s better than Frank Feldman Carson’s cost of shipping from Greenland to Denmark is in the hunt where is Frank charges $500 per animal to get your trophy to Denmark

Just remember when your trophy lands in Denmark it is going into storage and you’re paying for that until the taxidermist and veterinarian start to do their thing

I already had two euros skulls done from muskox hunt in the Arctic from 14 / 15 years ago so when I went to Greenland with Feldman, I just gave the animal away to someone in camp who wanted an extra shoulder mount and back hide

When my son and I went to Carsten‘s last fall, since it was free to get the trophies to Denmark, we went ahead and had them sent but then when we started learning about the exact numbers from storage facilities, the taxidermist, the veterinarian, crating , shipping ,customs clearance, currency exchange rates, and more shipping we just didn’t think it made sense to spend over seven grand for two skulls and a hide.

As I said above, the taxidermist that Carsten uses is phenomenally good, and the process on this whole thing is simple for the hunter since other involved people know what they’re doing. They get paid great for it, but you really don’t have to do anything on your end, other than fill out a fair amount of paperwork for the border Customs broker, and we never got to that step once we saw his prices

They are spectacular animals and they look great. It’s just the personal choice of how much Taxidermy is worth to a guy relative to other uses the money such as going on additional trips, creating additional memories, etc.

No writer wrong answer just right or wrong facts

31-Mar-24
Shug your numbers from a couple years ago, seem to align normalized apples to apples with about what I was saying as well

Yours looks a little cheaper than what our two animals were going to be. You still had some taxidermy work to be done in the states it sounds like we wouldn’t have but we wouldn’t have been doing any mounting.

We thought we would save being father and son was that we could ship the two skulls and hide together have them go through customs clearance as one container, and then be shipped to one of us, and we would take it from there

For some reason, customs wouldn’t allow that to happen, and only would allow combined shipment. I think it was, to spouses.

So we ended up would’ve had to pay double for shipping in a couple places and in customs clearance services no economies of scale for us

I would say personally it would be a major mistake for someone to not do the trip because they either didn’t want to spend the money or couldn’t spend the money on the mounting and therefore they wouldn’t have the experience

It’s the experience that matters and it is an adventure don’t confuse adventure with hunt because there’s not a lot of drama or uncertainty in the hunt but boy is it an adventure

01-Apr-24
Man, what a hunt!!! Congratulations!!!

01-Apr-24
Congrats, man! Great trip. Will be there in September. Cant wait!

01-Apr-24
Jared I'm bummed we won't be in matching seal skins when we're there haha

01-Apr-24
What’s Karsten get for an OX hunt now?

01-Apr-24
We've been booked for over a year now, so not sure if anything has changed. They added a surcharge to our hunt (which is the combo ox/bou hunt) for the caribou portion of the hunt because we're a group of bowhunters. Ended up totaling $12.5k I believe.

01-Apr-24
Pm sent Shug

01-Apr-24
Ty…

01-Apr-24
Congrats! I too had a great trip to Greenland with Lings. Muskox are made for bowhunting for sure! The long hides and thick shoulders do better with a good setup for deeper penetration. A highly recommended trip.

01-Apr-24
On day one we flew into Kangerlussuaq mid day, met Karsten and his family, and then proceded to Karsten’s house to get outfitted in our seal skin clothing and boots. I had way overpacked for the trip with the clothing they provided. The seal skin bibs, parka, gloves, and the boots were all extremely warm, and were almost too hot a lot of the time.

Upon getting all of our gear gathered up we headed out. We made a quick stop at the grocery store for last minute odds and ends and any snacks/beverages we wanted. Upon completing our purchases we headed out. Camp was roughly an hour-an hour and a half up a frozen river farther inland.

I wish I could tell you about the initial drive, but after a couple days of traveling, and very little sleep I passed out for most of the drive. I woke up as we were nearing camp. Camp was a simple building set on a large frozen lake with a large mud room, a “bathroom,” a kitchen, a large dining area, and 5 small bedrooms. We were all impressed by the cleanliness, and overall comfort of camp with how remote it was.

After doing a quick walk through of camp we began unloading our gear. The bow hunters all took a shot to ensure our bows had made the long travel unharmed. While checking our bows Lukas, Karsten’s son spotted 3 bulls bedded about a mile and a half away on a large hill above the frozen lake. We ate a quick lunch and headed out.

Our form of conveyance for the hunt would be Yamaha Grizzlies with a seat on the back for a passenger. They had rope stirrups for the passenger to put their feet in so they didn’t slide into the driver. They made the ride much more comfortable and we all couldn’t believe that we’d never thought of something so simple that made such a difference. The quads were all fairly new and in great working order. We all were very impressed by their condition as it seems like many international hunts we’ve been on, it feels like everything’s just kind of thrown together and you’re hoping nothing goes wrong.

We loaded up on the quads. I was with Karsten’s BIL, Carsten, (yes, that was a bit confusing at first haha), and my buddy Spencer was with Karsten’s son, Lukas. We took the quads on a wide loop around the bulls, passing caribou along the way, and parked them about a quarter mile from them.

We began hiking and quickly saw a bull bedded facing us. We were in the wide open and not in a good position for a stalk. That combined with the crunchy snow quickly caught his attention. We sat still for probably 20 minutes until the bull lost interest and began moving again. We were not in a good position and he immediately picked us up again. We did this song and dance for probably 45 minutes until he finally had enough and took off, taking the other 2 bulls with him.

We retreated back to the quads, and looped around to where we could see the bulls again. They had gone to the top of a close hill that had some small boulders that we thought would give us some cover, and we’re just feeding along. We quickly ditched the quads and began our approach.

We worked our way up the opposite side of the hill from the bulls until we could just see the back of one at 150 yards. We realized where we were wasn’t going to work so we backtracked and chose another path of approach. If everything went according to plan we would get into position and the bulls would work their way right to us.

As we were working up the hill I was following behind Lukas, with Carsten and Spencer behind me. Lukas quickly froze and sunk to the ground. I immediately dropped and peered from behind the boulder I was trying to disappear behind. The bulls were all within 75 yards and slowly feeding along. I knocked an arrow and asked Lukas to call out ranges for me. As the bulls worked closer I tried to pick out the largest, but they all looked roughly the same, but big enough for me.

I was so entranced watching these prehistoric beasts in their natural habitat, that it caught me off guard when Lukas called out 55 yards. I quickly scanned the bulls again and noticed one of them was going broadside. I drew back, and settled my pin on the bull as he was walking along. As soon as he stopped I was going to release the arrow, but he never did. He ended up working directly away from us not offering a shot. I let down and watched as all three bulls began feeding away.

We knew they had no idea we were there so we waited until they created the hill and quickly worked closes. As the bulls came back into sight they were all within 60 yards. Lukas and I picked out a bull and he ranged him at 55 yards. The bull was walking slightly quartering away, and again I drew my bow and settled my pin. This time the bull stopped, and I released my arrow. The shot looked good and buried from the last rib towards the front shoulder with roughly 8 inches sticking out.

The bull kicked and ran a short ways. He was slowly walking with his head low, and we could visibly see the blood coming out of the bull. The other 2 bulls didn’t know what was going on, and were looking on at my bull. We quickly rotated and had Spencer come to the front to see if he could get a shot at one of the other bulls. Just as he knocked and arrow and became ready one of the bulls went broadside at 50 yards and he made an absolutely perfect shot. His bull ran maybe 30 yards, stopped, and went down within about 30 seconds.

After his bull was down our attention returned to my bull. Although the shot was good, he was still on his feet a couple minutes after my initial shot. I worked my way in for another shot, and put another one in almost the exact same spot as the first. This one quickly put him down for good, and we had 2 bulls down within a few hours of our hunt starting!

We positioned the bulls for pictures, which during the process a wayward hoof flipped up catching Spencer between the legs, and about dropped him. Good things he’s done having kids! Haha After positioning the bulls we took some pictures. My bull had died in a ravine and while it wasn’t the best for pictures, there’s was nothing we could do, but make the best of it.

After pictures we loaded both bulls onto a large sled. The sled looked to be at about max capacity, but they said they’ve had 3 bulls on there at once before. The sled was towed behind one of the quads and did amazingly well navigating over the rough terrain.

After loading everything up we were headed back to camp which was only a couple miles away, and within sight. The ride back to camp was relatively uneventful with the sighting of a herd of caribou along the way. After getting back to camp we started working on the bulls right away due to the dropping temps and the difficulty of skinning frozen muskox.

Within a couple hours we had both bulls skinned, and had put away a handful of beers in the process. Spencer will be doing a full body mount, and I will be doing a shoulder pedestal and will be keeping the back hide as well.

The three other hunters got on bulls that first afternoon as well, but couldn’t quite seal the deal. The next day they were able to get all three of their bulls. One with a bow, and 2 with a rifle. Due to their hunt being filmed for a project and their own privacy I won’t share their pictures on here. We filled in the rest of the time hunting artic hares, and ptarmigan. I was considering shooting another bull, even getting within 30 yards of another bull I passed, but in the end I was more than happy with my one.

Again, I’d highly recommend this hunt to anyone. I’m happy to answer any questions anyone may have.

01-Apr-24

CFMuley's embedded Photo
CFMuley's embedded Photo
CFMuley's embedded Photo
CFMuley's embedded Photo
CFMuley's embedded Photo
CFMuley's embedded Photo
CFMuley's embedded Photo
CFMuley's embedded Photo

01-Apr-24
Great recap. Thanks.

40% of the hunters filling their tags within the first three hours is about par for the course

Makes for a pressure free hunt for sure. One of the neat things about those hunts is that. You can then go out with the other guys so you may only kill one but you may be in on 3 or 4 kills

01-Apr-24
Definitely Bou. I would never tell someone this is an extremely challenging hunt, but this is truly a hunt that isn’t all about the kill. The overall experience was incredible.

01-Apr-24
Great pics….

02-Apr-24
Very very cool! Congratulations. What were temps like when you were there? Did you have a lot of wind to deal with?

02-Apr-24
Bucket list for sure! Congratulations!

13-Apr-24

Shug's embedded Photo
Shug's embedded Photo
Thought I’d piggy back off your post.. Here’s Vivi Karstens daughter showing off that she can carry 200# on her head and take a selfie quicker than I can walk…

14-Apr-24
Vivi was amazing. The whole family is for that matter. So much to be said for that lifestyle.

14-Apr-24

Bou'bound's embedded Photo
Vivi walked fast because she had to get back to cook a four course gourmet dinner to be served by candlelight under the northern lights.

14-Apr-24

14-Apr-24

t-roy's embedded Photo
t-roy's embedded Photo
t-roy's embedded Photo
She even texted me and went into great detail about how much more enjoyable it was to have me in camp, than when Shug was there :-)
t-roy's embedded Photo
She even texted me and went into great detail about how much more enjoyable it was to have me in camp, than when Shug was there :-)
Vivi and her mother were both sweethearts!

14-Apr-24
Lies Troy… lol

14-Apr-24
Ok now that’s funny!!!

17-Apr-24
Great report! Congrats

18-Apr-24
We should have an ongoing thread for just this place. The photos would be extraordinary

18-Apr-24
Wow! Sounds and looks amazing. What a shame (sham) about the cost to ship everything.

• Sitka Gear