smarba 08-Apr-24
Nick Muche 08-Apr-24
smarba 08-Apr-24
Blood 08-Apr-24
Nick Muche 08-Apr-24
wyobullshooter 08-Apr-24
BowHiker 08-Apr-24
07-Apr-24
I have been looking at hook style wrist releases for under 150 bucks. Any of you guys have experience with these two releases. Pros and cons. Input appreciated. Thank you.

07-Apr-24
I have heard that the Wise Guy is a very hot release. So, if you’re a trigger puncher it will work well. If you actually shoot properly with back tension and pull through the shot, then it may not be a good one for you.

07-Apr-24
I shot the hawk (not the pro) last season. It is NOT hot. A single sear, even as hot as I can make it without punching myself in the face, it is cold. It really helped me pull through the shot. I haven't shot the wise guy to compare, but would think they are on opposite ends of the spectrum.

07-Apr-24
I shoot the the regular Hawk, attached to the wrist strap via a nylon strap with back tension....trigger hooked deep into the first joint of the index finger. Excellent release in my estimation, but I'm a hunter not a target shooter.

07-Apr-24
Absolutely number one thing that matters to me is moment of truth. I'm not some incredible compound shooter nor pretend to be. Traditional guy most my life. Keep it simple stupid is what I'm looking for.

08-Apr-24
I have no idea what hot or cold means. I've been using Wise Guy for many years, although it's the only release I've ever used since switching from fingers so I don't have an objective comparison. I felt it worked best for me to completely remove the tension set screw (i.e. the tension is at the tightest setting). I personally didn't like the lighter settings, but that may be just entirely personal preference. It's held up fine, never had any issues, no complaints.

08-Apr-24
Smarba - you are shooting it as cold as it gets…

—Jim

08-Apr-24
“I have no idea what hot or cold means”

Cold refers to a heavier trigger tension, hot refers to a lighter trigger tension (i.e. hair trigger). For most people, a hair trigger is a recipe for disaster (TP). Although not one the OP mentions, I highly recommend trying the Scott Verge.

08-Apr-24
Ah, gotcha, thx. I should also note I ALWAYS shoot with gloves on, very lightweight liner/shooting glove such as Sitka Ascent. That goes for practice and hunting.

08-Apr-24
Comparing the B3 Hawk Pro and Spot Hogg WiseGuy releases involves evaluating their features, performance, and suitability for your specific archery needs. Here's a breakdown:

B3 Hawk Pro:

Brand: B3 Archery is known for producing high-quality archery releases. Design: The Hawk Pro features a wrist strap design, offering a comfortable and secure fit on the shooter's wrist. Adjustability: It typically offers some level of adjustability in terms of trigger sensitivity and length to accommodate individual preferences. Trigger: The trigger mechanism is typically crisp and responsive, promoting smooth and consistent releases. Durability: B3 releases are reputed for their durability and reliability, suitable for long-term use. Price: Prices may vary, but B3 Hawk Pro releases generally offer good value for the features provided. Spot Hogg WiseGuy:

Brand: Spot Hogg is a well-respected brand in the archery community, known for its precision and quality. Design: The WiseGuy is a handheld release, offering direct connection between the shooter's hand and the bowstring, which some archers prefer for its simplicity and direct feel. Adjustability: The WiseGuy may offer some adjustability in terms of trigger tension and length to suit individual preferences. Trigger: Spot Hogg releases are renowned for their smooth and crisp triggers, contributing to consistent shot execution. Durability: Spot Hogg products are known for their rugged construction and durability, capable of withstanding rigorous use. Price: Spot Hogg releases are typically priced at a premium compared to some other brands, reflecting their high quality and performance. Considerations:

Shooting Style: Decide whether you prefer a wrist strap release like the Hawk Pro or a handheld release like the WiseGuy. Comfort: Comfort is essential during long shooting sessions. Choose a release that feels comfortable and secure in your hand or on your wrist. Adjustability: Consider your preferences for trigger sensitivity and length adjustment. Budget: Compare prices and assess which release offers the features you need within your budget. Ultimately, both the B3 Hawk Pro and Spot Hogg WiseGuy are reputable releases with their own strengths. Your choice will depend on your shooting style, preferences, and budget. It's often helpful to try out both releases if possible to determine which one feels best for you.

08-Apr-24
Written by AI?! Because the Wiseguy is a wrist strap release. At least the one I'm using is...

08-Apr-24
Wyo - interesting analysis. I have shot an index style my entire life and fingers before that. Lol

I’m trying a thumb button for the first time and when I had it set “cold” I was flinching waiting for it to go off. But when I set it hotter, it is sooooo much easier to get a cleaner release. But I’m still trying to figure this thing out. I have a lot to settle into and retrain my shot process. Thanks.

To the OP - good luck trying out either release.

08-Apr-24
Are you saying AI isn't always correct?

08-Apr-24
Blood, you’re right. Too cold can cause issues as well. If it takes too long to fire, my brain can easily screw up the pooch! Ha!

08-Apr-24
Thanks for responses. Great write up Nick. Both are wrist releases as stated. I'm going to try both this weekend and make a decision afterwards. Thanks fellas

• Sitka Gear