nehunter 17-Dec-06
BowhuntingCT 17-Dec-06
jax05r 17-Dec-06
spikehorn 19-Jan-07
dreamcatcher 20-Jan-07
nehunter 03-Mar-07
jax05r 06-Mar-07
27-Nov-06
Everything you read and the overall perception of CT has you thinking there are deer behind every tree. While some areas this is true, others it's far from it. Does anyone think there are fewer deer in CT this season?

Ex. – Last season, a friend had a hunting spot in Zone 12 that had no hunting pressure. It also bordered 600 acres off limits to hunting. By baiting he harvested 13 does / yearlings (unlimited replacement tags), a small buck and a decent 8 pointer, all with his bow (all meat went to a good cause). If this parcel had the estimated amount of deer (15 – 20 / sq mile, approx 600 acres), he just removed at least three quarters of the herd in this area. While I’m sure what he did was an exception, it wouldn’t surprise me to hear of others taking numbers like this. This season in the same spot, he’s seen 2 does (harvested one of them) and one distant buck in early November.

I too have had reduced sightings this season except during the first two weeks of November. One spot on the shoreline in Zone 12 I would have guaranteed sightings and would harvest 2 – 4 deer per season, not anymore.

The state wants to reduce deer numbers; I think they are getting their wish. I would like to know what others feel about the deer population in CT.

Thanks

27-Nov-06
I took 8 deer last year, I have had 3 camera's out since the middle of Oct, and I see a lot of activity but it is all at night. I do not think they are getting thinned out I just think between the warm weather, the full moon 2 weeks ago and all the acorns they are not moving during the day. If we get any snow watch how fast things change.. I'm not saying I'm not getting frustrated because I am, but I remember a few years back I got 1 deer and that was with a gun and that was a warm year with lots of acorns. Over the past 6 or 7 years I have been averaging 4-5 deer per year if there ar no acorns.. My 2 cents.

27-Nov-06
Spike,

I would tend to agree with you mostly because people are not sending their "deer harvest report cards" in to the state. They do not have an accurate count on deer taken...

Rob

27-Nov-06
i think more hunters in certain areas is resulting in less sightings

I have area 56 b season tags . there was 7 hunters in the parking lot when I got out of the woods

27-Nov-06
Rob,

How do you know hunters are not reporting kills?

28-Nov-06
Bill,

It is a very common problem amongst hunters. I suspect that they are not reporting because I personally know people that "keep forgetting" to send them in. Besides that, New York state just did away with it's "Doe" permits for 06 because many people are not reporting their kills. The state admits that they are "punishing" hunters because of their lack of cooperation. I received this information from my brother in law who is an advid hunter in NY.

I do not think that this problem is limited to only New York. Find out for yourself: ask some of your buddies if they "honestly" report all of their kills.

Hope that helps... Rob

28-Nov-06
the state should mail you survey after the season.

We pay enough for you licenses and tags they can afford this.

I try to send my in every year but have lost them in the past....

in Cenntenial this year if you do not send the survey in you will not get a permit next year

28-Nov-06
I have lived and hunted in three different states and once of the common themes that I have seen is that all of the emphasis on overpopulated deer herds leads many to the conclusion that there is no way to hurt the population.

The fact is that extremely long seasons, unlimited doe tags and baiting gives you the tools to materially lower the population. Now there are clearly some places where the population is so high and there are enough areas where no hunting takes place that the deer will just constantly backfill.

I just think you have to use common sense regarding how many deer are actually in the area and how many you really should take. Just because there are unlimited tags doesn't mean you shouldn't limit your harvest on a particular piece of property.

Just my 2 cents.

28-Nov-06

nehunter's embedded Photo

28-Nov-06
I cant even get out of my Driveway without seeing a Deer!

28-Nov-06
I'm not surprised your friend isn't seeing a lot of deer. Taking 13 out of one spot will hurt your sightings. Doe are very territorial and if you eliminate their social groups it will take time for others to take over that area.

28-Nov-06
Listen guys, it's like this, you have a suspicion or sombody else said so but there is no evidence. That's hearsay and inadmissable in a court of law. Saying without proof that hunters are law breakers is only shooting yourself in the foot. What makes those statements different than you might hear from PETA?

What about an increase in UNreported vehicle/deer collisions? Do you suppose that could account for fewer deer in some locations?

Has the state charged anyone with failure to report a kill? If we are talking a few people who forget then the problem is not an epidemic which would require the state to change regulations. I haven't heard about New York but, are they acting because of rumor or evidence? In the name of herd management, it would seem more effective to announce arrests and convictions for failure to report rather than to change regulations affecting all hunters. I seem to recall that last year the replacement doe tag system was out of tags for the Jan season.

Do you think the UBC would accept an unjustifiable accusation of Connecticut Bowhunters involving a regulation change affecting all bowhunters?

Knowing someone who "keeps forgetting" is like saying, I know this criminal/poacher. If you can't impress on this person the importance of following the law for the good of all, I would either drop a dime on them or refuse to associate with them. JMHO

jax05r

When I participated in the Easton urban hunt I saw nine deer the first time there. After that I found five other treestands within eighty yards of my location and never saw another deer until I was driving away in the dark. More hunters, fewer sightings.

28-Nov-06
I talked to one guy who has crop damage, he claims he shot 26 deer last season. I dont doubt it knowing the area and its also a place where im not seeing any does this season. What he is doing with all the deer, hmm who knows. Between my cousin and myself we have been averaging 8 to 10 deer per season. 8 feeds both our families and anything extra was given to a needy family we know and some other friends. I wouldnt doubt the herd is down a bit, but they are tenacious creatures. Very prolific as well. Reminds me of all the years i spent hunting state forest. Great memories just not allot of shots.

28-Nov-06
I remember when I used to have lobster pots for private use (10 or less) and every year I had to fill out a survey and if I did not fill the survey out and return it to DEP I would not get a new license the following year. I think DEP should do something like that, I think they do something like this for spring Turkey.

28-Nov-06
Were I check in my deer {hillers} he fills out the report cards there and mails them in you cant forget .I know people that take 10 to over 20 deer and every thing that walks but but small bucks. I have seen a decline .MY 2 CENTS

28-Nov-06
Bill,

28-Nov-06
Spikehorn (rich) I here ya, i hunt hard at least three times a week with bow only in zone 12 sept-jan. This year has been tough with my seeing deer way down. I have been asking myself why all season(too warm too many acorns not many deer?) I wish we would got back to two tags. I just like seeing deer when I hunt and then wait for a goodin. Pru

28-Nov-06
I gotta say I find this post real inteesting. I've only hunted CT 2 years now, bow only, and I hunt basically state land in Fairfield. This year I'm seeing way more than last year. But you all are giving me some concern, I'd hate to see the numbers drop. Massachusetts has a "kill em all" mentality when it comes to doe tags and you can feel it where I live (Hampshire County) deer sightings are rare indeed. I just wasn't aware that there was a problem in CT emerging. Why doesn't the state go to a zone system and give out different numbers of tags for each zone? As long as they are not over-provided (like in Mass) deer population should stay healthy. I'd love to know if numbers are truly down though, and why. I saw a skeleton of a skip tis morning with coyote tirds next to it, but yotes cant be doing that much damage. Could it just be a bad year? We'll have to wait to next year to see I guess.

28-Nov-06
I have a spot in new cannan 17 acers this year we see coyotes every time we hunt there 8 being the most 4 just this last sat morning .We have not seen a doe there this year only a couple of smaller bucks and it backs up to water co property that cant be hunted I think the coyotes there are having a field day not the hunters .steve

28-Nov-06
Pat I agree with you 100% Just because the deer are not moving alot during the day does not mean they are not there, there is so much food for them they can stay within a 100 yard are and never move during the day. Things will change when in late season once all the acorns and forage are gone and we get some snow you will see them all over because now they are used to having all the food they need and when its gone they will trying to retain there fat levels and the food will not be there.

28-Nov-06
Good feedback and opinions.

Whatever the reason is for fewer sightings, something is definitely different this season and a good part of 2005. We'll see when the weather gets colder and the food supply gets eaten up.

28-Nov-06
I have had a great year, 5 deer so far. Including 2 8 pts, and a 6pt. This is one of my best years so far. Last friday I saw 25 deer at one of my spots including an 8 pt and a 6 pt. I guess its all in the spots. Good Luck to everyone out there. I also think that it is a matter of timing. This morning I went to the area where I saw 25 deer last friday, and this morning I saw nothing. I have noticed however that all of the bucks are very large this year. one dressed out at 210 lbs the other 194.

28-Nov-06
Here's another opinion, the ground isn't nice and crunchy yet due to warm weather, just because we don't see/hear them don't mean they're not there either. I had a doe come up behind me at 7 yards earlier in the season, she never made a sound. I probably hear as many deer as I see, before I see them. With no snow or heavy frosts, hearing and seeing is down. (hope that wasn't too confusing)

28-Nov-06
Silverado -- I don't believe you. Prove it to me -- take me to this "spot" with 25 deer and 2 eight points etc. LOL that's quite a year

28-Nov-06
I have a place in mansfield and I always see alot of deer but this year I only shot a 6 pointer and saw a couple of small bucks but its been dead. the worst I have seen it in 15 years of hunting it.

28-Nov-06
I'm agreeing with Pat. There are 6 doe I see on a regular basis that travel together on the property I hunt. Several small bucks wander in and out with no regularity. Last year was basically the same but when the weather gets bad I've seen as many as thirty two traveling together. Where'd they come from? Where are they now? Most likely spread out in every tiny patch of woods around. We haven't even had any cold weather yet. I think the next couple weeks will be interesting. It is supposed to be frigid.

29-Nov-06
I have seen way more deer this year than years past also. But most of my better sightings where where there was no hunters. On parcels with alot of pressure, the tracks, scrapes, rubs, and droppings are there,I just dont see the deer. These deer either dont move during the day or go to unhunted spots during the day.

29-Nov-06
i totally agree with pat, it has been a very off year, with warm weather and full moon during the best rut weeks. i still have shot 8 deer, all does and a 6&7pt, example i have one spot in lower fairfield co that is 8 acres, begining of the season i hunted it several times,seeing only 1 doe(which i took)several times i hunted it with out sightings, then mid nov i hunted it and saw deer all over the place ,took a doe and a 7pt, then over thanks giving i hunted it for 2 days straight...only 1 very small spike came through, just goes to show they change patterns thats all. in fairfield co its too hard to" shoot out" all the deer, they have too many places to hide that are not huntable

30-Nov-06
MDB Silverodo took me to that spot the day after they saw the 25 deer all I saw was 2 skippers, what a diffrence a day makes.I still have a buck tag and Dave ,Justin amd Wayne are out they see the bucks and I see the skippers .Sooner or later one will make a mistake .Steve

30-Nov-06
steve that is funny. isn't that deer hunting,

when your buck tag is gone and you want to shot a skipper for the tender vittles you will see all big bucks

05-Dec-06
I'm having that same exact problem. I need to shoot two more does in order to get an extra buck tag and all i am seeing is bucks go figure.

05-Dec-06
I'll trade ya. I have a spot that you will see all does and lots of them

we can switch for a night or two !!lol

06-Dec-06
Is'nt that funny Silverado, I tagged out for shotgun opening day and hav had to let 3 bucks walk to include and 11 pointer. 2 out of the 3 where harvested by my freinds set up on the next post so all worked out. As for a bad year though our group has had a great year so far, our group of 4 guys has taken 12 deer. And we have let alot walk. I think we have missed we actually missed 10 deer as a group!!! Since the 15th. I have gone out every weekend since the September opener and somethimes during the week, and I think only 3 times was there no deer seen.

06-Dec-06
I wonder if the winds have something to do with it,this year the winds have been different than prevous years,i have never seen so much south west winds and west winds last so long,just a theory.

06-Dec-06
I agee with Steve. There are fewer deer where I hunt, probably because I kill 25-35 a year. Like Steve said, everything that walks, except for small bucks. So I haven't seen a deer in my last 4 sits. And thats with going to the spots my cameras say to go! Lot's of nocternal activity. I need to up my scouting and stand placement and reduce my hunting. I already have a bunch this year anyway.

Luke

07-Dec-06
The wind on one of my areas in New Milford has definitly been coming in from an almost opposite direction than it has in the years past. Good point Famous!

07-Dec-06
Luke -- I've got to ask you, why do you kill 25-35 a year? I assume you donate etc. Just curious, for me I just shoot what I can eat.

08-Dec-06
25 - 35 deer a year??? You must be single or.... divorced!

LOL!

09-Dec-06
single, divorced (if not now, will be soon) and independently wealthy ...

09-Dec-06
I dont think it would be fun after 25 deer, that is alot of work.

14-Dec-06
Thought I'd bump this back to the top to get more opinions / comments.

I'll be marking my survey card for deer population in SE CT this year as "declining". I have numerous private land places to hunt and my sightings at all of them are very few. I watch my scent, wind direction, stand access and don't hunt the same setup more than once a week. Either the herd is decreasing or the deer are holed up in areas I don't go? I'm not even finding droppings in areas I've always found them in the past ...

I had an interesting conversation with a friend of mine who lives on the Cape. Because of their low deer numbers, a group of hunters approached the state of MA to create a zone in his area as "buck only". The state replied with, "the insurance companies would have a fit and refuse insurance there or hike the rates substantially.

Makes me wonder what goes on in CT? I know they want to reduce numbers but when will they know enough have been harvested?

14-Dec-06
I personally do not think the herd is thinning I think it is the same just bcause you do not see them does not mean they are not there. I have had camera's out since october and see alot of activity but only at night, not much sigh (droppings and the like) but there are alot of pictures. I think like I said before the warm weather and large acorn crop has played a major role in them moving very little and at night. My 2 cents

15-Dec-06
Deerhunter how about Danbury not even night pictures or Joes two or three deer that place was loaded.I have just started seeing deer in my best spot were I havent seen them all year so I think they are there but not like other years .STEVE I WILL PUT DOWN DECLINING THIS YEAR ON MY SURVEY CARD .

15-Dec-06
spikehorn, dont go by ma, deer hunting hear is terrible, thier is no sound management in place up here, ive talked/email/and called the state several times on this issue,99% of the time they dont even respond ....its all about $$$ in ma and thier is no logic/science/management as far as the deer herd goes in ma.....consider yourself lucky to hunt ct!

15-Dec-06
Last year in Danbury there were no acorns and we had snow early, this year there are so many acorns you almost twist an ancle walking and the weather is warm and no snow so movement has to be minimal. Weston I did not see alot of deer last year either but they were there walking the power line like this year, I am just starting now to see them on camera because I beleive the acorns up there are drying up with all the turkey (50-60) around my stand.

15-Dec-06
Jason,

That would at least give logic to what MA does for management...they let the insurance companies manage the deer herd.

15-Dec-06
So if the herd is not necessarily declining and the deer just are not moving as much (meaning less sightings) the kill ratio should actually decline this year substantially by us hunters, I know it has for me. Would'nt that create more deer for next season adding at least 1/3rd to the size of the exsisting herd because of the abundance of food/ acorns/ crops or whatever? Should be a high birth rate aside from the natural kill by predators during that early fawn season?

?????? just my thought! What do you think?

15-Dec-06
mm, why not everything else in this state is run by the insurance co's!!!!!

15-Dec-06
I know you guys have had a bad year but it has been great for my group of 4 hunters. We have all shot more deer than previous years and have seen more. We hunt in Southbury, Bethel, Newtown, Danbury and Redding. If anything we have seen less turkey. This is the first year I have let deer pass and boy is it nice to choose the deer you want to shoot. All of our hunting has been near bedding areas. We have seen nothing in the food areas. We have managed to find their routes very close to where they bed and catch them on the way in or out. I know most others are not doing as well, but I we'll see when the reports come out from the Dep.

16-Dec-06
I've had a pretty good year in CT. Shot 3 on Watershed and one on private. Passed many as well that were'nt slam dunk shots. Didn't see any huge bucks, biggest I saw was a medium six, but that's how it goes. But it was real dependent on where you were, so the deer weren't everywhere, for instance my dad hunted with me all the time, and he only got one shot off. I noticed a fair amount of nocturnal activity as well bumping deer going in and out.....

16-Dec-06
Although I hutned out of state during Nov. I saw more Deer this season than I ever have too. Although I only shot a doe in CT. I think it was a good season. I blew about 5 shots but that is hunting ...I guess ...

there is still some time !!!!

I agree on the TURKEYS. I have not seen any this year...

17-Dec-06
I think the Deer sightings are down due to less travel they need to feed, Acorns are so abundant they don't even have to leave their Bedding areas.

Look at the Annual Deer report the DEP mails out. They have graphs and Charts showing Deer Kills and sightings during non-Acorn and abundant years. It distinctly shows that every Acorn year hunters will experience what we are seeing now.

I saw more Deer this Spring Turkey season in fields than years in the past. I'm sure they didn't die off this past Summer.

All I can say is I cant wait till 9/15/07!!

17-Dec-06
Yeah I expect a good season next year. I had some growing pains in this season with a new property with tresspassing and poaching. Good season as far as buck sightings, 3 of the 10 bucks I saw were crossing the road during the rut chasing does. The rest gave me no oppertunity. I only saw 2 does and heard maybe 3 different ones snort at me,,,,,,lol. Ill be all set up on 3 different properties with decent stand sights and hung stands for the season. But ill be out tomorrow and hunt through January this year. There is still time.

17-Dec-06
I need some private land for Jan....I am dreading the 31st

19-Jan-07
Any more thoughts / comments on this subject?

20-Jan-07
It has been an amazing season. I have seen deer every single time out!

03-Mar-07

This Chart from the DEP shows the correlation between Acorn Crop Years and Hunter Success. I remember 1995 and 2004 so I'm not worried about the Deer population in CT.

06-Mar-07
did anyone get the deer report...

• Sitka Gear