Blacktailhunter 03-Nov-07
Yahooty 04-Nov-07
BHUNTNELK 04-Nov-07
mad4archery 04-Nov-07
22-Oct-07
What do you think is the best unit for hunting elk that isn't a draw unit?

22-Oct-07
I think most guys will keep that strictly confidential.

22-Oct-07
Imo, most of the coast range generally speaking.

Lot more elk (vs. east side), lots of enforced walk-in only areas, and less hunting pressure.

East of the cascades, all OTC areas are poor to fair at best imo most of the bow season. If you're lucky and time it right, its possible to have a decent, quality hunt at some time during the season. Obviously some do.

As always, there can be different experiences but as someone who's hunted west and east, that's my $.02.

Btw, I define a decent, quality hunt as < 5 other hunters encountered in a week, abundant fresh elk sign, some sitings, mewing and bugling heard and no atv's.

22-Oct-07
Kurve,

Thanks for your input.. I've never archery hunted the coast range.. might be something i do this next year.

22-Oct-07
i agree with ron.i have lived in prineville for 2 years and the hunting around here bites.the coast is a good call.if a person can handle the steep hills.john

23-Oct-07
Tree Killer may have some insight on this! I believe he keeps talking about an area called Mt. Hebo?? I continue to search my maps! ;)

23-Oct-07

Brad from Mac's embedded Photo
Brad from Mac's embedded Photo
...it's next to Margaritaville.

23-Oct-07
mckenzie unit ohhhh yeahhh

23-Oct-07
Thanks for the input guys. I usually hunt Heppner unit.

23-Oct-07
kurves talking about the oregon coast range for roosevelts not california.

23-Oct-07
If I was going to hunt the best OTC unit for elk in Oregon I might go to the Juniper unit. LOL. Naw just kidding, shoot I don't know, you use to live here before you moved to Cali. Didn't you use to be RTelkhunter back in the day.

23-Oct-07
They're all good, some are just better then others!

As far as sheer numbers of elk and maybe fewer hunters, I'd have to say the north coast might be the best.

24-Oct-07
i went over to saddle mountain for a day this year and couldnt believe all the people over there in the jungle LOL my plan was to hunt around these clearcuts with the other 5 rigs that where there LOL, scouting the coast is one of my priorities this next spring as well as my elk spot over east. I agree though that there are some nice bulls on the coast but you better be willing to hunt because just the vegitation is enough to frustrate a guy, there are some guys who are very succesfull on the coast but they have there spots they put in the homework.

25-Oct-07
If your out in the woods creating your own opportunity anywhere is a good spot. I have always felt that elk are when and where you find them.

27-Oct-07
elk in most all units, do your homework, nobody is gonna tell there unit because they dont need more people there probably too many already. but i would second juniper unit LOL.

27-Oct-07
That was mark LaVrar

30-Oct-07
The bad thing about Mt Hebo is, I have heard from others as well as experienced this myself some kind of wierd magnetic disturbances up there. I was there a few years ago and neither my compass nor my GPS would work right. I had gone up there and marked some nice area and the roads back in to the areas... went back the next weekend and the tried to follow the same roads and tracks... and the GPS was way off... in some cases as much as a mile off. Also my compass wouldn't work right either... when I knew the direction north was, it was wrong. Some say it is because of the radio and weather station transmitting towers up there... There was a hunter that went missing up there a couple of years ago. His brother and his son dropped him off on a road and he could see his camp. He went to walk through a draw towards his camp and his brother and son continued to drive around on roads... they never found the walker... even though he was an experienced hunter and knew the area

31-Oct-07
I think every darn unit thats not a draw has to many rifle hunters buying a bow tag and hunting it anyway. Dang there was more camps bow hunting my three favorite units than during the rifle season. I even drove them roads opening day just to see. Im rifle hunting next year. heck there isn't anyone out there compared to bow season.

31-Oct-07
i agree stumpounder. i think many areas have much less hunters during rifle season then during bow. i too may have to dust off the .270

01-Nov-07
stumppounder,

don't go to heppner, there were camps all over during rifle deer, ill be bowhunting deer next year and hopefully drawing my montana deer tag and go bag me a whitetail.

01-Nov-07
It's getting less crowded already! :)

01-Nov-07
Things are definately more crowded than ever. But if bowhunters start moving to rifle hunting to avoid the rifle hunters who didnt draw tags, then we are just conceding to a fixable problem. A solution to the problem is out there and was probably thought of. All we need to do now is get the proper officials to recognize the problem and be open to solutions. Seems to me that if we get enough people to make noise to the right people, we can get some results.

Just a thought,

Todd

01-Nov-07
draw for archery on the eastside is what needs to happen or choose your weapon which i have heard they dont like that idea.

01-Nov-07
steens or kalamath

03-Nov-07
you mean Klamath? yea, make those living on the east side draw, that way when we don't draw the unit we live in, we'll come hunt the coast

03-Nov-07
I'm looking for a hunting partner for the 08 season. I have access to a ranch in NE Oregon and i'm looking for someone to go along with me, LOL

03-Nov-07
who posted that on monstermuleys.com????????

03-Nov-07
Hey Tony,

It's been almost a year since you borrowed the 472.00 from me to fix your truck... Are you every going to repay me??? Just wondering...

03-Nov-07
rtelkhunter is that you????? if it is its the same guy who got called out last year with all his bs hunting stories, not sure but kinda sounds like it, theres alot of guys id take advice from on here about hunting who are very knowledgable, there is only one i can think of who is shady, i dont have to make up hunting stories if i eat tag soup for the year ill be the first to say it, theres always next year right boys, or this year for the guys who get to hunt for late blacktails. hell ole rtelkhunter is the same guy who was hunting heppner the last 4-5 days this year by the date of those pics id say its bs, ive been looking to find what website those came off of, lets see last four days of season was sept 20th- sept 24th, the dates on the pics are sept 20th and sept 22nd, to a previous post ole rtelkhunter said he didnt do any good in heppner and didnt mention anything about all those elk they packed while he was there. hmmm dont know if its the same guy but kinda sounds like rtelkhunter

03-Nov-07
Tony,

You going to repay your debt?

03-Nov-07
You told me your word was your bond.... So when are you going to send me the money Tony.

03-Nov-07
Tony,

You asked me last year to help you out so you could get to work when your truck broke down. I did you a favor you promised me you'd pay me back. You do a guy a favor thinking he's your friend and then he turns out to be a thief.

03-Nov-07
Tony,

Then you got laid off in at the beginning of the year and i understood why you couldn't repay your debt. You told me you'd repay me as soon as you got back on your feet. Well it's been almost a year and still nothing.

04-Nov-07
Mark, Maybe a PM or a phone call would be more appropiate. I'm not sure who is looking worse at this point, Tony or you.

04-Nov-07
Well stated Yahooty...

Lets go dog huntin sometime..

04-Nov-07
I agree, well put Yahooty. Not the best way to handle the situation. Hard to see which is the worst character in that one.

• Sitka Gear