JRW 04-Jan-09
Tall Paul 05-Jan-09
bill brown 05-Jan-09
speed 05-Jan-09
BREW 05-Jan-09
Don K 05-Jan-09
speed 06-Jan-09
02-Jan-09
I've been trying to find out on the IDNR website, but couldn't find it.

If you're a resident, and only bowhunt, how many bucks can you take?

Thanks , Paul

02-Jan-09

02-Jan-09

BREW's Link
Paul,

This link is to the hunting regulations digest. Looking at page 2 for limits on deer, it shows footnote f which says you can't legally take more than 2 bucks in a year, even though you can get more than 2 either sex permits.

BTW, just how tall are you? :-)

02-Jan-09
In IL you have to be careful with language. You can legally take only 2 "antlered" deer. You can take unlimited bucks as long as only 2 are antlered. Heck I saw where someone killed an antlered doe this year. That goes in the antlered column too.

02-Jan-09
Valid point, SJ. I prefer it would be bucks though instead of just antlered deer.

03-Jan-09
Actually, I remember a few years ago when someone killd an antlered doe in IL. The story was in NAW. The DNR let him use his doe (antlerless) tag on it.

03-Jan-09
Thanks for the replys.

I guess I should have framed my question a little differently.

So a resident can walk in a store and buy two archery buck tags? Is that right?

Thanks, Paul

03-Jan-09
correct. he can buy two archery eithersex(buck or doe) tags and go and kill two antlered bucks. the trick is he might also have an eithersex gun season tag or muzzleloader season tag, if that is the case, no matter how you kill them, you can only tag two antlered bucks. so, if you shoot 2 bucks with the bow, you can only shoot does on your either sex tags in gun and muzzleloader season. or if you shoot a buck with the bow and one with the gun, you can't shoot any more with the bow or muzzleloader.

03-Jan-09
And if you really want to get confused.........

If you hunt one of the CWD counties listed in the late season Jan hunt you can use any left over permits (from that county)from Archery, Shotgun, Muzzzleloader, and you can shoot whats on the permit withthe 2 buck limit not in effect. Theres only a few counties that have this though.........

03-Jan-09
Here in beautiful Tennessee we can kill 111 does and three bucks. How could one person, hunting legally, kill 111 does?

I killed 19 one year and like to killed myself butchering.

03-Jan-09
KC, thanks for the info. Very interesting... Wouldn't the guy have had to break the law (not tag his deer immediately upon kill) before clarifying with the DNR? I suppose he could have taken a chance and tagged it as antlerless and then talked to the DNR hoping they'd judge in his favor. I would have taken the safe route and tagged it with an either-sex tag.

03-Jan-09
bowriter, ya from Tennessee...so that where u have all the turkeys in a couple post here? one hundred and eleven does and three bucks....wow that's alot! Why so many allowed?

04-Jan-09
Don K you are absolutely incorrect on this..ONLY2 antlered deer are allowed in a 12 month season regardless of type or quantity of permits,read your cwd application..Wherever you got your information is giving it to you incorrectly.

04-Jan-09
buck617,

Sorry, your wrong.

My information came right from Springfield and I had it emailed to me right from a Conservation Officer (I have it here). If you have LEFT OVER permits (shotgun, muzzleloader, and archery) during the cwd season here in the county I hunt you can fill your permit for the deer its good for.

You can also read on Page 15 of the regulations (top middle of the page) where it says:

Deer taken during the CWD Season are not subject to the antlered deer bag limit restrictions imposed during the firearm, muzzleloader and archery deer hunting seasons.

04-Jan-09

SJ's Link
Here's the wording from the DNR News Bits on the CWD (link included). Looks like you can shoot antlered deer in those counties with an either-sex permit, but it doesn't talk about the 2 antlered deer limit.

CWD Deer Season: Hunters in Boone, DeKalb, McHenry, and Winnebago counties and the portion of Kane County west of Ill. Rt. 47 can participate in the special Chronic Wasting Disease (CWD) Deer Season Jan. 16-18, 2009 to help control deer densities and the spread of chronic wasting disease. Special CWD season antlerless-only permits are available over-the-counter beginning in mid-December for $5 each at participating DNR Direct license and permit vendors. In addition, hunters with unfilled 2008 firearm, muzzleloader, youth deer hunt, or archery deer permits valid for one of the open counties may use those permits to hunt during the CWD season. Hunters using unfilled permits from the 2008 season may take deer appropriate for that permit (antlerless-only or either-sex). Check stations will be manned during the CWD season in the open counties. Successful hunters will be required to bring their deer to a check station prior to 8 p.m. on the day of harvest. Hunters who submit samples for CWD testing will be given an additional permit valid for the remainder of the season. Check station locations for the CWD Deer Season, Jan. 16-18, 2009 are listed below

Boone Co. - Boone County Fairgrounds, Rt. 76 and Business Rt. 20, Belvidere DeKalb Co. and Kane Co. (west of Ill. Rt. 47) - Shabbona Lake State Park, 4201 Shabbona Grove Rd., Shabbona McHenry Co. - McHenry Dam Day Use Area, Moraine Hills State Park, east of McHenry on River Road, 2.2 miles south of Route 120 Winnebago Co. - Rock Cut State Park, 6425 Hart Road (one mile east of Perryville Rd. on Hart Rd.), Loves Park

04-Jan-09
2008 Firearm Deer Hunting Information For counties Testing for CWD:BAG LIMIT> One deer per legally authorized permit. All either sex permits are subject to the following restrictions:NO HUNTER REGARDLESS OF TYPE OR QUANTITY OF PERMITS IN HIS/HER POSSESION MAY HARVEST MORE THAN 2 ANTLERED DEER DURING A YEAR,INCLUDING THE ARCHERY,MUZZLELOADER, AND FIREARM SEASONS.FOR PURPOSE OF THIS BAG LIMIT,DEER SEASONS ARE CONSIDERED TO BE IN THE SAME YEAR IF THEIR OPENING DATES FALL WITHIN THE SAME 12 MONTH PERIOD THAT BEGINS JULY 1. A HUNTER IN POSSESION OF AN EITHER SEX PERMIT AFTER HAVING HARVESTED 2 ANTLERED DEER DURING A YEAR MAY ONLY USE THE PERMIT TO HARVEST AN ANTLERLESS DEER. I'm Not wrong you have bad info.

04-Jan-09
"DURING A YEAR,INCLUDING THE ARCHERY,MUZZLELOADER, AND FIREARM SEASONS."

This is a CWD season.

Deer taken during the CWD Season are not subject to the antlered deer bag limit restrictions imposed during the firearm, muzzleloader and archery deer hunting seasons.

Page 15 of the regulations...........

04-Jan-09
"2008 Firearm Deer Hunting Information For counties Testing for CWD"

That is for FIREARMS SEASON in counties that happen to be testing for CWD. That is NOT for the CWD SEASON itself. Two different things.

Don's info is 100% correct.

05-Jan-09
Wow, didn't mean to get everybody fired up! Sounds like you guys are pretty detail oriented.

But thanks for all the responses. They are appreciated.

Thanks, Ryan, for the best answer of all.

05-Jan-09
Just looks like poor drafting of the regulations to me. Anything this confusing should be reworded next year. A "deer appropriate for that permit" means something, but I am not sure what. If I have shot two bucks with my bow, is a buck appropriate for my either sex gun permit." Since it would be a crime, I doubt it, but the face of the permit says it is appropriate. HUH??

05-Jan-09
8^0 ???

05-Jan-09
Speed, is that (???) a beard?

05-Jan-09
Bill,

It is VERY confusing. Thats why I contacted the DNR and asked them. I hunt in McHenry County and I was confused last year and wanted to make sure I was legal. (didnt have to worry about the two buck limit anyway)

Don

06-Jan-09
A paraphrased "HUH".

• Sitka Gear