knothead 27-Dec-09
mulehorn 27-Dec-09
Hoop 27-Dec-09
AZMULEYS 31-Dec-09
NovemberMadman 31-Dec-09
29-Nov-09
seen any rutting going on up north yet

29-Nov-09
2 days ago i saw 52 does in one morning without bucks. The 2 best bucks i saw were alone. This was in 12a east. Some little bucks trying to chase a little but the rut is not in there for sure.

29-Nov-09
Most of the state is still a few weeks out.

30-Nov-09
I seen a few small bucks with does put no big bucks. THe small buck where chasing does put the does didnt want anything to do with them.

30-Nov-09
small bucks were chasing this weekend in 23 but the bigger bucks i saw would get close to does smell the air and move on

01-Dec-09
Desert mulies begin serious rut around the first to second week in December and it then goes until Febuary if not March, but it really tapers off by end of January.

01-Dec-09
11/29/09, Prescott area, 50+ does and fawns, 4 groups, 0 bucks....not even a yearling. The does were primping for the rut... according to my wife.

01-Dec-09
Everyone I talk to is seeing fewer bucks than normal. Most of the ones that are seen are immature. I guess managing for a lower buck to doe ratio in the name of "opportunity" is really starting to pay off! Sorry, I had to vent a little.

02-Dec-09
I would say that's a bona fide fact. It's starting to go full circle and we'll be dealing with it for years to come!

02-Dec-09
Do we have any facts that can brought forth or simply opinion concerning the size of bucks decreasing? I have a couple hunting areas that had lots of mature bucks 15 years ago and now I wouldn't be able to find one in a week of hunting. I also know of areas where I used to never see quality bucks and now they are regularly located. Both of these areas have gone through highs and lows in the allocation of tags, but percentage wise would not make much difference compared to weather, genetics & other natural causes.

Also, back 8-15 years ago I never used trail cameras. Now, the majority of pics I get from decent bucks no matter what time of year is at night. Some places I spend time scouting I only know of the deer in the area from those pics. To be continued....

02-Dec-09
So, the bottom line is if we can provide evidence from biologists, game wardens, etc we whould be able to provide a legitimate argument. Then, it comes down to whether the state will be managed for quality or quantity - I wonder which will be chosen!

I have not seen a decrease of size in my main 3 areas that I focus on due to tags so I feel for you guys that are suffering. It sucks to only have immature bucks to chase after, although that's about the only type I ever seem to kill. Out.

02-Dec-09
I have thought many times that a 3x3 or better(not counting eyeguards) would really improve the quality of bucks, but I know it will never happen. Quantity is the word of the day.

Putting that restriction on myself 8 years ago I havent taken a buck since. Not that I have not seen a 3x3 or better but it is so few and far between.

I have not seen a 170 class or better for about the same amount of time.

Let the youth hunts take any buck but put a restriction on the regular hunts. Sorry for getting off track,I know this about the rut.

02-Dec-09
It will be interesting to see how many mature bucks come out of the woodwork when the rut occurs. Will it be enough to cover all of the doe herds? No one expects to get a sheep or pronghorn tag every year but it's the "American way" to go deer hunting annually. When more people realize that our deer numbers are low and have to be hunted more conservatively, such as sheep and pronghorn, our quality of bucks will increase. Using a survey with loaded questions threw that right out the window though I'm afraid.The Commission is trying to balance on a thin rope between quality and quantity but it seems more and more people are becoming dissatisfied. Hopefully the "silent majority" will speak up and getting drawn north of the canyon won't become one's only option of harvesting a quality buck!

02-Dec-09
The biggest deer I saw last year during the rut was about 180.

I saw bigger deer helping my family out during the general. Dad took a 184 4x4 and my bro in law and nephew blew opportunities on deer much bigger.

They're still there but getting harder to find every year.

I have a desert muzzy hunt coming up next week and have a buck located that may be 35" wide. If it doesn't rain I'm sitting water with my bow. If it rains and scatters them then I'll use the smokepole. In all likelihood the deer is safe regardless.

02-Dec-09
Thats awesome creed. I would like to see the pics if you close the deal on that wide one!

03-Dec-09
I was just out glassing and had a 3by3 show up on some does I have been watching.Creed I hope you kill a big one with that muzz tag. Good luck.

10-Dec-09
So, my friend phones me today as he's looking at a toad and says the rut is on! The buck is alone with 4 does and pushing.

10-Dec-09
Arrrrg! 21 more days for me!

10-Dec-09
What unit is that mulehorn?

I've seen some spotty rut activity late in Dec but never this early in the desert.

Rain scattered the deer for my muzzy hunt. That should make it that much more interesting.

10-Dec-09
creed,

Just curious as to what unit your muzzle loader hunt is in?

10-Dec-09
I've pulled the 40 A&B, 39, 41, and 42 tag. The cool thing is that 42 is closed in Dec to archery and I can hunt off of that tag. Not alot of archery competition and only 50 tags issued for the whole hunt.

But, I'm thinking after all of this weather we just had I'll stick with the smokepole.

But maybe not.

10-Dec-09
I will be out there somewhere, can't hunt Friday but will hunt Saturday thru Monday, maybe Tuesday. That will be it for me for December as I will be out of state for a week over Christmas and then will have to hurry to get things ready for Javelina hunt! Actually I wasn't going to go but when it got down to the wire, I couldn't stay home!

11-Dec-09

11-Dec-09
mulehorn@work what unit out this weekend in 10 and 18 did not see any toads chasing does

11-Dec-09
I got a group of deer that are hanging around the horse pens snatching hay. No rut, does and small spikes still together. Larger fork came in this morning showed no interest in the does. Fun to watch in the morning with coffee and a good way to watch for the rut.

11-Dec-09
Cyber, unit 21. I have pics from today and yesterday but cant get them to load.

11-Dec-09

mulehorn's embedded Photo

11-Dec-09
Hee Hee, well that one posted but its the wrong one. Guess they have to be resized but dont know how. Any ideas?

11-Dec-09
I was in 6b this last week end and 2 large groups of does all with bucks following and scent checking good bucks for the area but nothing real big cant hunt therir right now any way

11-Dec-09
If you have windows XP preview the image by right clicking on it and selecting "preview.". Click on the "edit" button at the bottom of the screen. It's the one on the right hand side of the toolbar next to the "?" mark.

It will open in a new window. Click the "image" button at the top of the page. Click "stretch and skew" and enter the percentage you want to shrink or enlarge the image. If you're happy save it.

I have no idea how to use vista since I don't have it. It may work the same, I don't know.

12-Dec-09

12-Dec-09
AAARRRGH! Now there too small. Anyway this is the buck, think he has one hot doe in the group. A forkie horned in yesterday and was all over one of his does.

He's a smart buck but almost didnt make it past yesterday. Maybe today.

12-Dec-09
Out all day hunting and 0 out of three bucks were chasing does.

We will see tomorrow in a different unit. I dont believe the rut is on but its happening here and there. Gotta luv this time of year!

Any one else been out?

Creed... Pm me with an email address and I will send the pics.

19-Dec-09
I was out today and I would say that the rut is in full swing. I saw a busted buck and watched a buck mounting a doe. I don't know what has to happen but that's good enough for me.

20-Dec-09
Took my boys our squirrel hunting last weekend and saw a group of does in 3B. Sure enough, a nice fat 4x4 buck was 50 yards up the hill - this was just North of Lake Mountain Lookout. Later found another group of does with a rutting buck at the rear - not nearly as big, but still fun to see.

27-Dec-09
well....... ?

27-Dec-09
It depends on where you are right now. Yeaterday I glassed a small 4x4 with 11 does,lip curlin and chasin. Last week 1 buck with 3 does and another lone buck, both 4x"s only a half mile apart. These were all in the low desert.

I have seen the rut going on for quite awhile now but its only going to get better. You know, those magical days when it seems everywhere you look there are bucks rutting! Good luckto all.

27-Dec-09
I have been in northern units and in the desert units and both places i have seen bucks with does. The desert was not as hot but it is getting going.

31-Dec-09
Well last night I went out saw two big groups of deer both groups had bucks with there heads down. I would say they were pretty dazed tom. is the big day for me cant wait finally get to head back out.

31-Dec-09
Was out yesterday and had a buck you could have shot off the ATV! That thing was delerious in love!! We were riding up a trail and the does went one way and the buck the other. Once he realized his sweeties weren't with him he came right back to us and crossed the trail not 30 yards behind us and then walked 20 yards away on the other side of the trail trying to pick up the does scent trail. He never even looked at us and didn't even care we were there. Would have been an easy shot that is for sure.

• Sitka Gear