gobbler 28-Jul-10
Ranger 06-Aug-10
gobbler 08-Apr-11
gcoleman 09-Apr-11
gobbler 09-Apr-11
28-May-10

gobbler's embedded Photo
gobbler's embedded Photo
Summer food plots planted during gobbler season. Combination of buckwheat, forage soybeans, and summer peas.

28-May-10

gobbler's embedded Photo
gobbler's embedded Photo

28-May-10

gobbler's embedded Photo
gobbler's embedded Photo

28-May-10

gobbler's embedded Photo
gobbler's embedded Photo

28-May-10

gobbler's embedded Photo
gobbler's embedded Photo
rifle stand

28-May-10

gobbler's embedded Photo
gobbler's embedded Photo
Cabin

28-May-10

gobbler's embedded Photo
gobbler's embedded Photo
brassica/rape/turnip

01-Jun-10
Nice cabin. my kinda place.

01-Jun-10
Thanks, after years of planting food plots maybe I'll finally get a deer in a few years.

01-Jun-10
Hey gobbler, can you come up and do some plots on my place! They look great.

02-Jun-10
I don't know if it's legal to drive a tractor up the Turnpike.

02-Jun-10
You are probably correct, but I bet your tractor looks better than some of the vehicles I have seen on the highway! ( some of which I was driving)!

13-Jun-10

gobbler's embedded Photo
gobbler's embedded Photo
Buckwheat is about 2.5 ft tall now and is blooming. The soybeans and peas are about a foot tall.

13-Jun-10

gobbler's embedded Photo
gobbler's embedded Photo
Saw a bunch of fawns this past week. They must really be dropping them now. Everyone I saw was a single fawn. Didn't see any twins.

Was at the farm for 5 days and never saw any turkeys. Is anybody seeing any poults?

14-Jun-10
awesom photo's gobbler

01-Jul-10

gobbler's embedded Photo
gobbler's embedded Photo
Buckwheat is seeding up. The turkeys and doves will hit the seeds soon.

01-Jul-10

gobbler's embedded Photo
gobbler's embedded Photo
The soybeans and peas are starting to come on good now. they will provide high protein feed for the next 2 months.

01-Jul-10

gobbler's embedded Photo
gobbler's embedded Photo
Turkeys are making dusting pits in the turnips and brassicas now.

01-Jul-10

gobbler's embedded Photo
gobbler's embedded Photo
one of my 7 clover fields. They are now 4 years old and weeds and grass are starting to take over. I've cut them once already this year and getting ready to do it again. Despite routine cutting and spraying I can only get about 4 years out of a field before I have to kill and replant. I'm thinking about switching over to alfalfa this time.

02-Jul-10
gobbler are you located in boone county?

02-Jul-10
no, Monroe.

02-Jul-10
gobbler food plots look good. what the secret? I am trying food plots this year for the first time. Do I need to water them alot? How do I need to plant and what works the best?

02-Jul-10
They do need water at the right time. First you need to check and correct the PH before anything else. WVU will soil tests for you thru the county extension agency. They will tell you the PH and how much lime you need. If you let them know what you are planning on planting the will give a recommendation on fertilizer.

I've been real happy with buckwheat for summer plots. Plant the first of may and cut down the end of August. Then replant with buck forage oats and/or winter wheat for the fall.

I usually plant Imperial whitetail clover along with winter wheat or rye (not ryegrass) in the fall. the wheat/rye acts as a cover for the clover during the fall, then the next spring I cut the wheat/rye down after the clover has taken off. I get about 4 years out of each clover planting. I fertilize the clover late winter with a low nitrgen high phosphate and high potassium fertilizer. I usually use a 10/20/20 on the buckwheat and a 19/19/19 on the oats and wheat.

this is the first year I mixed the forage soybeans and summer peas with the buckwheat and I'm very pleased so far.

To plant I cut everything down then as they are just starting to green up, spray with glyphosate and wait till it dies. best to wait 5-7 days, Then I fertilize then till the ground. Then broadcast the seeds and use a cultipacker to get good seed dirt contact then pray for rain. I usually try and watch the forcast and plant 1-2 days before a good rain is forcast.

27-Jul-10

gobbler's embedded Photo
gobbler's embedded Photo
Most buckwheat gone to seed and soybeans, peas, and sunflowers doing well after the recent rains.

27-Jul-10

gobbler's embedded Photo
gobbler's embedded Photo
recently dropped buckwheat seeds sprouted and will give the deer tender high protein feed in the middle of summer.

27-Jul-10

gobbler's embedded Photo
gobbler's embedded Photo
deer trails from the woods going into food plots.

28-Jul-10
Gobbler, your food plots look fantastic. I am very impressed. We have a QDMA chapter up here in Parkersburg (Mountain State QDMA) and we're having a food plot field day on August 14th. We're going to have a handful of guest speakers as well as have a live demo on planting a food plot. We're gonna plant a 1 acre food plot. From the look of your food plots, you could put on the entire seminar. I know it would be a long drive, but we would love to have you join us. Heck, we could probably give you the official title of "Food Plot Technical Advisor." LOL

28-Jul-10
See gobbler? U got to watch what you know

28-Jul-10
Too short of notice, I'm already scheduled to work that day. But next year If you have it I'd be willing to help any way I could.

06-Aug-10
Man, looks great. I have a great place to put in about 20-30 acres on top of Muddy Creek Mtn. but I can not afford it. Between the lime and seed, how much would you estimate you have into this?

08-Apr-11
ttt

09-Apr-11
smokey will any of that grow down on our lease anywhere? turnips? maybe have a mini food plot in each cow pile lol

09-Apr-11
I think buckwheat will grow.

• Sitka Gear