bigir 16-Aug-10
knotthead 15-Mar-11
ghost stalker 16-Mar-11
yeahbra! 21-Mar-11
RJ Hunt 21-Mar-11
uncletick 22-Mar-11
Tree Killer 09-Jun-11
05-Jul-10
With 13 preference points I drew the out-of-state bull tag for the walla walla unit this year. If anyone has helpful information about the unit, i would appreciate it.

05-Jul-10
Have yew ever been up there and looked at the country? Yew're in for a treat!

06-Jul-10
Make sure you are in good shape...steep and deep.

06-Jul-10
LOL

Yew better listen to the TreeKiller.

tip #2, go to ifish.net hunting section, use the search function and read our posts. I have had the tag twice including last year, TreeKiller has been in there two or three times at a minimum.

For helpful information, I would go early. That is a small unit. The Elk have a real aversion to bugling hunters and last year, the last week sucked. Same as it did the first time I had that tag.

06-Jul-10
I am of the total oppisite mind as bob i have had the tag and my brothers and hunting partners where we wrere in there every year for a number of years. the first 2 weeks were silent then the switch turned on and the last two weeks were always dynamite. but agreed take a look at the country and get in shape.on another note i have spent a ton of time in all three of the big units and find walla walla to be my least favorite. Good luck and have fun

07-Jul-10
I heard 5 bulls total, in 3 days and nights, in the WW, Mill Cr Watershed, and Wenaha combined last year. The last Thursday, Friday and Saturday of the season.

I had come directly from NM where on the 1st day there (sept. 10) I pulled in 1/4 mile off the hwy to a spot I had never been before, opened the door, and heard 5 bulls bugle before I got to the tailgate. I walked maybe 1/2 mile up another draw, stopped and counted 12 different bulls bugling.

TreeKiller emailed me and told me to get up here but by the time I got up the Elk had already had enough of the people.

07-Jul-10
Thanks guys. I'm going up there this weekend to get oriented. Luckily I live in Boise which is not too far for regular scouting before the season opens.

07-Jul-10

Tree Killer's embedded Photo
Here's a pretty decent bull that was in there 2 years ago. I have another pic of this bull somewhere?

Don't expect to see any of the bigger bulls in the summer, in fact, don't expect to see much of the bigger bulls during the rut. Maybe a leg, an antler, hear his gut rumbling at close distance.

When BHUNTN and I had the tags in 2004 the bulls were bugling from Labor Day on. But the biggest bulls didn't start showing up until about the 15th or so, then the rain, wind, and fog kind of shut things down including us. The final week of the season though was an absolute frenzy with bulls coming from anywhere and everywhere in search of the few cow's in the country.

Guess it's like anything else, timing and location make all the difference in the world.

07-Jul-10

Here's the same bull, just a little closer. The G4 on the right antler has a split in it.

07-Jul-10
Nice Bull.

28-Jul-10
Thanks guys for your help. I've been up to the WW unit most weekends since the draw came out, and I'm beginning to figure it out. Now all I need is some cooperation from the local bulls. Good luck to all this season.

16-Aug-10
I went with two friends last year. All three of us got 6 point or better bulls. Get away from the so called "spike hunters".

The last two weeks were amazing. We saw an average of 5 branched bulls per day, and had several 4 to 6 bull bugling episodes. It's brushy like the Wenaha so you got a get in there and root em out. If you know how to call you'll do fine!

The largest bull we harvested is getting scored by Gail Martin in Walla Walla this week I think it should gross score over 330.

Good Luck

15-Mar-11
hello mojo say i would love to get togetherwith you somehow and discuss walla walla feel free to call me at 794-4163 im in boise also. thanks.

16-Mar-11
Hey mojo, how'd you end up doing?

21-Mar-11
How do you know you drew the tag? Do out of state tags get allocated earlier?

21-Mar-11
Look at the date on the first post.... Last July.

22-Mar-11
Those bull's 3s are awesome!!

09-Jun-11

I have a friend who is cashing in his elk points this year(or trying to). He was holding out for Wenaha, but switched to WW this year. Think he has 13 pts? If he does indeed draw WW I'm going up and spend a week or so with him during the hunt.

I love that damn yew jungle! Wish there were a few more spikes around to make it worthwhile to pack my bow.

His dad had the Mill Creek Watershed tag last year and they didn't see anything over 300 in the 'shed, but they drove out into the WW one day and saw a decent bull bedded below the road. See the pic above.

• Sitka Gear