edfau 21-Nov-11
SteveBNY 21-Nov-11
ny griz 21-Nov-11
edfau 21-Nov-11
Somersbow 21-Nov-11
ny griz 21-Nov-11
Dartondog 22-Nov-11
01-Nov-11
Does anybody know the answer to this?. During the late seasons if you have not filled your regular season buck tag. Can you shoot a buck and tag it during late archery or muzzloader season or is it strictly antlerless only for that tag.,

01-Nov-11
i was told on phone conversation that you could use your tag during late season. this was a few years back,i would call dec to check on it.

01-Nov-11
http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/8305.html

I would think either buck or do. You must have the bow or muzzleloader stamp to hunt.

01-Nov-11
X2 what bow27 said.

Valid for either sex w/ MZL stamp.

01-Nov-11
My understanding is that an un-used regular season tag becomes an either sex tag in late season that can be filled with bow or muzzleloader but ONLY IF you have bow or muzzle to begin with. This was explained to me by the lieutenant DEC of my county...

01-Nov-11
Sorry, my post above should have been BOW/MZL stamp.

Chronic, yes that's correct. You must purchase the BOW or MZL privilege (stamp for those that remember) to hunt the late season, but you can still kill a buck (or doe) w/ the regular season tag.

01-Nov-11
thanks guys i called the local encon officer and he explained that your buck tag becomes an either or tag in the late season.

03-Nov-11
If you don't fill it then...you can also legally use it as an either sex tag during the september portion of the following year's early archery season in the northern zone.

16-Nov-11
I just checked with the NYS DEC sitie. This is a cut & paste from their " frequently asked questions" section:

Q: May I use my Regular Season deer tag during the special seasons? A: Your Regular Season deer tag cannot be used in the Early Bowhunting* or Early Muzzleloading seasons. It can only be used in the Regular Deer Seasons in the Northern and Southern Zones to take a buck. Except, the Regular Season deer tag is valid for deer of either sex in Westchester & Suffolk counties, in areas restricted to bowhunting only (WMUs 4J and 8C), and during the late seasons with the appropriate bow or muzzleloading privileges. During the late seasons, the Regular Season deer tag is valid for deer of either sex.

* Your previous year's unused regular season deer carcass tag, accompanied by your previous year's bow privilege, can be used from September 27-30 during the Northern Zone Bowhunting Deer Season and is valid for deer of either sex during this period.

Thanks for posting the question Wheelie Man, I had no idea I could do this.

16-Nov-11
I just checked with the NYS DEC sitie. This is a cut & paste from their " frequently asked questions" section:

Q: May I use my Regular Season deer tag during the special seasons? A: Your Regular Season deer tag cannot be used in the Early Bowhunting* or Early Muzzleloading seasons. It can only be used in the Regular Deer Seasons in the Northern and Southern Zones to take a buck. Except, the Regular Season deer tag is valid for deer of either sex in Westchester & Suffolk counties, in areas restricted to bowhunting only (WMUs 4J and 8C), and during the late seasons with the appropriate bow or muzzleloading privileges. During the late seasons, the Regular Season deer tag is valid for deer of either sex.

* Your previous year's unused regular season deer carcass tag, accompanied by your previous year's bow privilege, can be used from September 27-30 during the Northern Zone Bowhunting Deer Season and is valid for deer of either sex during this period.

Thanks for posting the question Wheelie Man, I had no idea I could do this.

16-Nov-11
Sorry for the double post.

Also, please no insult intended for those that already stated this same info. I just don't like to be one of those "I saw it on the net, so it must be true" guys.

16-Nov-11
i think if you fill your tags during bow season and get a soe during reg.season you really dont have to get the forth deer or the fifth one.there not all the many deer in new york.,check the web we are pretty low on the which states with the most deer list.

16-Nov-11
i think if you fill your tags during bow season and get a soe during reg.season you really dont have to get the forth deer or the fifth one.there not all the many deer in new york.,check the web we are pretty low on the which states with the most deer list.

16-Nov-11
i paid for a muzzle loader and tags and i plan on using it :)

17-Nov-11
I have been hunting about 8 years. Started at 34 years old. Self taught. had a couple years with no deer, and a couple with 2 deer. To date, I have taken less deer than years I have hunted.

edfau, you are correct, not as many deer here as other states/places. There are quite a few hunters in my neck of the woods. They will shoot anything. It is sad, yes there are many less deer than there used to be. It also seems the state wants them gone as well, with second chance dmp's being handed out like companion cards in Vegas for the most populated areas.

With that being said, my family prefers venison to any other meat. If I have a tag, I'll use it if I am able. I don't shoot the youngens, but will take any mature deer that I have a tag for.

17-Nov-11
what im saying is that the regular season tag should not be use in late season if not fill then so be it..thats my thoughts.i would like to see bigger buck. 3degree yes so many hunters shoot the small deer i even know i few a tess them all the time that the do.if i have the tags i will also be hunting,but i do not worry about the unfill tags.thats the sport.

17-Nov-11
edfau you are making no sense. you will hunt if you have tags,, thats ok . But its wrong if i have a tag and the muzzloader privilege and want to fill a tag in the late season? im not sure im following you if im misunderstanding your statement let me know. Because it sounds like whats good for you isn't good for anybody else. And besides i hunt in 8J and there are alot of deer here and i mean alot. Im blessed to live in one the best areas to hunt whitetails in new york state if not the best place. considering i wont shoot a fawn and deer meat doesn't go to waste in my house a few in the freezer isn't wanting to much. where i live i can legally take 11 deer, 2 buck tags,4 doe tags, 2 tags signed over by other hunters,and 2 tags issued from the state for public land, plus the antlerless tag you get when you buy you bow/ muzzle loader license. So call me greedy but i want to harvest a deer in late muzzle loader season if i don't fill a tag in the regular season.

18-Nov-11
what i think in trying to say should noy be able to use reg season tag in late bow or muzzleloading season.use in the time frame they was meant for.

20-Nov-11
OK then let me ask this. If I have a Super Sportsman non resident licence and I did not get a buck during archery and I do not gun hunt can I kill a buck with the Bow/ MZ tag during late ML season and then take a second buck with the regular season tag from gun that I did not use? If so then I would be able to kill two bucks with the smoke pole and that does not seem right.Im not saying I wouldnt just want to know if I can???

21-Nov-11
no it does not seem right.im going print this hole topic out show a dec officer today get the hole scoop on this.

21-Nov-11
Seeing it written it the regulations is not good enough?

21-Nov-11
O.k if you get your buck during regular season,WHAT can you take in the late season if you have a bow/muzzy tag.My momma was right i should have been a lawyer.Griz

21-Nov-11
what ever bow/mz tags you have left.i would think only

21-Nov-11
@ Dartondog, YES that is correct. You can use your unused regular season tag for a buck or doe in late season. If you didn't fill the either sex tag during the early bow season, you can still use it to tag another buck (or doe) during the late season.

@ nygriz, It depends on what the tag you have says. All special season tags are specific about what they are for. If you have Bow and MZL privileges, did not use either special weapon tag, and you already filled the regular season tag on a buck, you should have an antlerless and an either sex tag for bow/mzl that you are allowed to fill in the late bow/mzl seasons.

21-Nov-11
Thanks somersbow.

22-Nov-11
Thank You Somersbow. I had heard this and new about the regular season tag becoming good for a buck during muzzle loader but this is the first year in a while I didnt fill my either sex during bow. I have a chance to go back with the smoke pole and I would be able to take two bucks. It seems a bit unfair but hey a tag is a tag.

• Sitka Gear