Wing9464 03-Oct-12
Kurare 03-Oct-12
Kurare 03-Oct-12
Ryan Rothhaar 04-Oct-12
Ryan Rothhaar 17-Nov-12
Ryan Rothhaar 17-Nov-12
NY Bowman 19-Nov-12
26-Sep-12
We'll be taking calls again this year for leashed dog blood tracking. We'll travel approx. 1 hour from the Brazil/Cloverdale/Greencastle Indiana area, and can track in Indiana or Illinois.

We don't charge anything, just like to track, find deer for hunters, and get more work for our dog.

Our European dachshund, Oskar, is in his 4th tracking year and found 25 deer in his first 3 seasons. This spring he passed the VSWP 24 and 40 hour blood tracking tests with 2 Prize 1 awards. He is one of only a few dogs in the United States to pass this test with 2 Prize 1 awards....we take our tracking seriously!

We both work full time jobs, and I hunt hard too, but we do our level best to take all the calls we get. My tracking cell is 812-241-2802, call anytime during deer season.

The best bet is to call right away on a doubtful hit - the worst thing you can do is mess up the track and jump the deer - this makes it much harder for the dog. Time and weather, within reason, don't matter to him - nor does the amount of blood - he tracks with his nose, not his eyes!

Best of luck this fall --- and if things go wrong call us!

Ryan

27-Sep-12
Thanks again for offering your services Ryan. Best of luck to you this fall as well. BTW, it would be cool if you posted some pictures of Oskar at work.

27-Sep-12

Ryan Rothhaar's embedded Photo
Here are a couple of bucks from last year...800-900 yard track on a jumped liver shot deer. Would not have been recovered without the dog.

27-Sep-12

About a 400-500 yard track on a gutshot deer. This was a pretty challenging track, the buck crossed a good sized creek and died on the other side. This track took 30-45 minutes to finish.

27-Sep-12

One more where you can see the dog, at least!

This was a doe I tracked for the Ol' Man. This track was only about 300 yards long, but crossed a CRP grass field with no visible blood. From the shot site to the dead deer in its bed took about 15 minutes. Would have been a several hour body search without the dog, as she went a bit different direction than expected.

27-Sep-12

Sorry, guess you couldnt see the dog on that one!

One last pic of my buddy!

27-Sep-12
By the way, the hair on the ground behind the doe is from Oskar, not a coyote. He LOVES to strip the hair out of the hindquarters on deer he finds. Better than what he used to do - chew the nose off!

R

28-Sep-12
Fantastic offer Ryan! Thank you!

I bet Oskar doesn't get a chance to track for you or your dad too often. The way you guys shoot they rarely go out of site.

28-Sep-12
Ryan,

You are the man. You saved me on opening weekend last year. I hope I don't need you again, but it is comforting to know that you are there if I do. COngratulations on the awards that Oskar won. He is one amazing dog. I am grateful to you, and Catarina, and Oskar.

01-Oct-12
We had our first call...and recovery....for the year on Saturday! We got the call around 10pm for a buck that a youth hunter shot with a gun earlier in the evening. They had lost blood after 100-150 yards of tracking. Katia handled Oskar and we put him down about 75 yards from the site of the loss on the known blood trail to get a good start. He immediately started tracking and went right past the point of loss and on across a field and into the timber. I stayed back with the hunters and Katia handled the dog about 75 yards in front of us. She periodically spotted blood, would call us forward, and we would move up and wait for the next confirmation.

Oskar tracked approximately 400 yards beyond the point of original blood trail loss to the downed buck in about 20 minutes. This deer was leaving very little sign and the hunters were certain they would not have recovered the deer without the dog.

Congratulations to Landon on his 7 point buck!

I have a tentative call for this evening for a bowshot doe, will follow up with the hunter after work and determine whether we will track this one or not.....this year is starting off good!

Ryan

02-Oct-12
nice thing you are doing here ryan.

02-Oct-12
Right on! That is an awesome offer and very generous. I have your number saved. Hope i dont need it though. Good luck this season!

03-Oct-12
Great deal! I just put your number in my phone! No offense I hope I dont need you but its nice to know you are available. Thanks again.

03-Oct-12
Hello, I will be bowhunting in Madison county in November this year. I will keep your number in case i need your services! I am from Europe and have some experience with training blodtracking dogs. here is my vizsla with a badger:

03-Oct-12

Kurare's embedded Photo
Kurare's embedded Photo

04-Oct-12
Kurare

Nice dog! It is not very common here in the US to track with blood dogs, but it is becoming more so every year.

Oskar's father is an Austrian dog that is used for versatile hunting, with alot of ground work on both badger and fox. We have some pictures of him on badger hunts - what a bunch of work! You have to love your shovel for that. The mother is from all European hunting bloodlines too. While wirehaired dachshunds from Germany are becoming more popular in the US, smooth Teckels from hunting bloodlines are very rare here. Other European hunting breeds, like your viszla are quite uncommon as well.

Ryan

17-Nov-12

Still tracking - picked up a good one last night for a bowhunter here in Indiana - probably 170 gross, dandy mature buck. About a 400 yard trail on a liver/gutshot with no visible blood for over 200 yards.

Found this one last week out of state - not a monster, but a good track and recovery.

17-Nov-12
Don't know why that pic is sideways. Note - if not clear, this is NOT the big buck from Indiana. I don't want to post the big one without the hunter's permission.

R

19-Nov-12
Ryan, thank you again for helping find the buck on Friday last week. It is a phenomenal deer and Todd is certain it would not have been found without Oskar. It grossed near 175". Beautiful buck with impressive mass.

Thanks again to you, Katia, and Oskar for your generous service.

• Sitka Gear