deerhunter72 14-Nov-12
Bentstick81 14-Nov-12
deerhunter72 14-Nov-12
Bentstick81 14-Nov-12
deerhunter72 14-Nov-12
voodoochile 16-Nov-12
W8N4RUT 17-Nov-12
05-Nov-12
Any group pushing to allow bows during gun season?

05-Nov-12
Go for it Pete!!!

05-Nov-12
I can not imagine why someone with a valid firearm permit should not be allowed to hunt with a bow instead of a gun during shotgun season

05-Nov-12
What do you think you can do with the three days of gun season that you haved been able to do in the last month and a half?

05-Nov-12
Bow season is 3 1/2 months long.

So why do some bow hunters think they need the firearm season as well?

05-Nov-12
What do you think you can do with the three days of gun season that you haved been able to do in the last month and a half?"

I dont want to do it at all ............. but I see nothing wrong with it if someone chooses to use a shorter range weapon during gun season .

Do you feel that everyone should be required to use a modern scope sighted ,rifled barrel ,slug gun during shotgun season or is it OK to use a hawken style muzzle loader shooting patched round balls and real black powder. Maybe they should be restricted to the 4 days of muzzleloader season .

???????????

05-Nov-12
oops ............ 8^)

05-Nov-12
oops ............ 8^)

05-Nov-12
Because most of the season sucks. Gun season is seven of the best fourteen days of hunting at least in southern illinois. I prefer a bow to a crossbow gun or pistol. . But thats just me. What i want to know is whethet this is on any organizations .agenda

05-Nov-12
Because most of the season sucks. Gun season is seven of the best fourteen days of hunting at least in southern illinois. I prefer a bow to a crossbow gun or pistol. . But thats just me. What i want to know is whethet this is on any organizations .agenda

05-Nov-12
Well if the liberals, ATA & the NRA keep getting there way, the IL deer seasons will soon be open to all weapons. Just one big happy free-for-all season = shotguns, rifles, x-guns, compounds, muzzleloaders, cowboy cartridges, longbows, recurves, handguns, slingshots, ect....

AND since everyone would be able to hunt with whatever they want & they would also demand the free-for-all season to be in the heart of the rut ( of course), it would take about 2 weeks to kill over 200,000 deer in IL.

My point = BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU WISH FOR !

In over 50 years of IL deerhunting, IL's 6-7 days of regular firearm season & the archery season have never overlapped.

We have talked to our IL biologist about this very thing many times & they have very very good reasons for managing it this way, just like they have for well over 50 years !!!!

PLEASE.... let the biologist manage the IL deerseasons. NOT special interest groups, private companies and/or politicians !!!!

06-Nov-12
When the guy at the other end of the block is out of work, others will tell him we are only in a resession.

But when those others are out of work, they will tell him we are in a depression.

06-Nov-12
lynn tell me three good reasons why I can hunt with a crossbow during during gun season but not my compound. I take it from the tenor of your response that your organization is not in favor of using bows during gun season. By the way in case you haven't noticed it is a free for all season already during gun seeason, you just can't use a bow.

06-Nov-12
Good point and thread Pete. I have personally talked to Paul Shelton over this. I asked him, if the deer population was so high, and if the DNR wanted the herd lowered, why can't archery season stay open during gun seasons? He replied,"no one would send in for shotgun permits, if they didn't shut archery season down". I agree with Lynn, "let the biologist do the managing of our deer herd", but its obvious that MONEY made off of permit sales is what manages our deer herd. My personal opinion is that archery season should remain open, so we all get to enjoy the DNR's slaughter, during the rut. To me, gun season shouldn't be during the rut. Should be the last week of season in January. If you can't kill a deer with a gun, i would quit. I think it would be good to try and get something done Pete. JMO

06-Nov-12
Won't happen!

06-Nov-12
Gun Season....you buy the gun tag...YOU choose the weapon! No lost revenue ($$$$$$) for the state. There are Bow Hunters....and then there are bow shooters! Guns just don't appeal to a Bow Hunter!.....I get it, but the state and others don't! ...... so WE just choose to sit gun season out watching our private property and protecting the animals that use it!

06-Nov-12
I think gun season should be the first weekend in Dec thru the following weekend ...S,S,M,T,W,T,F,S,S......... 9 days ...... for all types of firearms and do away with the special muzzleloader season .( unless they make the muzzleloader season as it should be , restricted to primitive muzzle loaders only . An inline scope sighted modern muzzleloader shooting imitation black powder pellets that can shoot accuractely out to 150-200 yards doesnt deserve "special" time in the woods IMHO.

gun season doesnt need to be held during the rut , they will kill just as many without the rut .

06-Nov-12
"Because most of the archery season sucks and that is seven of the best days" I say have somebody wander around driving deer every week and the rest of archery season will be like gun season.

06-Nov-12
Pete......you can NOT hunt with a x-gun during the firearm season.

06-Nov-12
I am over 62

06-Nov-12
The funniest thing I've heard in a while is that IL biologists are managing Illinois deer hunting, lol!

06-Nov-12
Pete......you can NOT hunt with a x-gun during the firearm season.

06-Nov-12

Lynn W's Link
Pete....Go to page 17 in the IL digest of Hunting. You will see legal firearms for firearm season are only = shotguns, muzzleloaders & some pistols

http://www.dnr.illinois.gov/hunting/Documents/HuntTrapDigest.pdf

06-Nov-12
Pete......you can NOT hunt with a x-gun during the firearm season"

I wonder why ......... would it be unfair to the gun hunters ............. does DNR consider them archery equipment ........ next thing will be a special crossbow season ........... 8^(

06-Nov-12
gee whiz my bad lynn but it does explain why we have no effective bowhunter group in illinois, WE need a new one. Lemme make some calls. I don't want a debate. i want results. You are the president of the illinois bowhunter society. What exactly do you do? Do you have an agenda? What is it? Obviosly promoting more opportunity aint it since you have not responed to my request for three good reasons.

06-Nov-12
"lynn tell me three good reasons why I can hunt with a crossbow during during gun season but not my compound"

"you have not responed to my request for three good reasons. "

I have replied to your silly misnomer about being able to use a x-gun during gunseason & then again with your silly rhetoric about being over 62 ???????

IF...we have "no effective bowhunting group in IL", explain to me this. How did HB4819 get reduced from the whole archery season, to just after the firearm season ?????

Who got Chief Senate Sponsor Sen. Sue Rezin, to pull her sponsorship of this bill, in one single day ????

Who stopped HB1603 the year before ???

ect......

07-Nov-12
I thought they said one reason for NOT allowing bowhuntung during gun season was that would put too many people in the field at one time. As for wanting people to buy gun tags, guns have a higher rate of success than bows, so their goal of killing more deer would more likely be met with 7 days of gun hunting than 7 more days of archery hunting.

07-Nov-12
Pete - If you think the bowhunting advocates don't push an agenda you agree with I bet they would be more than happy to have you get off your as. and get involved. You just gotta love these people that sit at home complaining about people who volunteer a lot of time for our sport. I would bet that if they made bows legal during gun season Pete would be no more successful than he is now,

07-Nov-12
voodoo: We already have that x-bow season. It's not really special, just part of archery season after the second firearm season (or third whichever you prefer). Only a matter of time (and likely short) before they are in the whole season.

IL, just like a whole slew of other states failed to keep the crossbow out of archery season. CO is the one state I know of that sent the crossbow industry whores packin (there may be others I'm not aware of). It may only be a matter of time there as well.

I'm curious to know the biological reason archery tackle isn't allowed in firearm seasons? I'm not sure I'm an advocate of pushing the idea, as we do already have a pretty fair season in my mind, but just curious.

07-Nov-12
Every year somebody brings this issue up . I wanna' hunt shotgun season with my bow WAH WAH. Christ you have 3 1/2 months 7 days is gonna make a difference to your success BS

07-Nov-12
so do you feel that the modern muzzleloader hunter needs 10 days to kill something with a 200 yard weapon but shotgun or handgun hunters should only get 7 days ( of course we must protect them from the intrusion of a handful of guys with bows )

Shouldnt we also proect the muzzleloader guys from this terrible intrusion ? Bowhunters could give up 3 more days . Couldnt they ? Like you said they already have 3 1/2 months . And we may as well let the youth hunters learn without bowhunter intrusion so lets mark 2 more days off the calender.

While we are at it lets let the crossbow fans have a week or two without those pesky intruding bowhunters.

yessir lets come down on those self centered bow hunters . They act like they own the 3 months of bow season that has been theirs since the 50's

08-Nov-12
Let's let Private Land do what THEY want during firearm season! Bow Hunting is all that is important to 'some' of us! Gun hunting is just a nuisance in many cases! We have 40 acres of standing corn trying to 'save' some deer from the dreaded gun season that's soon to open! The surrounding properties hate that!.....too bad! ((*;

08-Nov-12
FWIW ............. there are several state parks in Illinois that dont allow gun hunting ,so guess what ..................... they ARE open to bowhunting during the 7 days of gun season .

Shouldnt we all be appalled that the State of Illinois is allowing such nonsense . Shouldnt we all band together and start a grassroots movement to put a stop to this ? Bowhunters dont "need" 7 more days to hunt . As has already been observed they already have 3 1/2 months . Maybe we could team up with an organization like PETA to lobby the DNR to put a stop to this nonsense.

Or on the other hand ,maybe it wouldnt cause the collapse of the Illinois deer herd or destroy gun hunting in Illinois to allow someone who owns their own hunting land to bowhunt during the gun season providing they hold a gun deer permit.

I would love for someone to explain to me how a deer hunter on stand holding a bow would have more of a negative effect to the hunters on the next farm than a deer hunter on stand holding a gun.

08-Nov-12
Every year during shotgun season, you here how the, rough and tough gun hunters didn't have any success because of the weather. Its either too cold, 30 degrees, or its too windy, etc... Maybe the DNR needs to allow bowhunting during gun seasons. Seems to me that the bowhunters are the only ones that can handle the weather. With todays crossguns, and fast compounds, they don't need gun seasons. Easy and lazy mans way to hunt, is all there is to it. JMO

08-Nov-12

Lynn W's Link
Some people want to argue with just their opinions, I like to debate them with actual FACTS =

This year IL bowhunters have a new all-time record of 105 days afield. ( archery season was extend by 3 days in Jan 2010 = Fri, Sat, Sun )

IL Firearm season = 7 days

That is a 15 to 1 ratio

So when you have only 7 days, the weather can play a much bigger factor.

54% of the total 2011 deer harvest, was in the 7 days of firearm season = 34% in archery season.

191,463 archery season tags

356,916 firearm season tags

So that is 145,754 more tags issued for those 7 days, which can puts over 100,000 more gunhunters in the field, then anytime during bowseason. PLUS firearms have a much longer range & more likely to have multiple shots. This is the safety factor that the IDNR is always concerned about, for good reason, as Edge Hunter eluded to earlier.

Firearm permit success rate was 27% compared to 34% for archery. So bowhunters are more likely to fill their tags.

Firearm single permits are $25 compared to $15 for archery

Firearm combo $42.50 compared to archery's combo $26

IL Archery season is NOT closed statewide. The Chicago area counties, that do not have firearm season, are open & SOME state parks, that do not have firearm hunting, are also open. So their are some places to bowhunt in IL.

These are some of the very good reasons that the IDNR has for keeping bows out of the 7 day firearm season & why IBS nor UBI has ever pushed the issue of allowing bows in the 7 day firearm season.

http://www.dnr.illinois.gov/hunting/deer/Documents/IllinoisDeerHarvestReportFinal.2011.2012.pdf

08-Nov-12
The reason i don't like gun seasons is because the hunters don't care if they tresspass on anyones land, they dump their deer carcusses in road ditches, and really don't care, or have any respect for anyones land. This happens every year.

08-Nov-12
Lynn I know what you mean I have noticed that about Pete before, I would imagine after being shown the facts he will not be posting anything for a while, you would think an attorney would know the laws a little better. Also I don't think he will be getting off his ass anytime soon to volunteer for bowhunting association.

08-Nov-12
"The reason i don't like gun seasons is because the hunters don't care if they tresspass on anyones land, they dump their deer carcusses in road ditches, and really don't care, or have any respect for anyones land. This happens every year."

Bowhunters do it also. I deal with it every year. Wish I used tree stands as I would never have to buy any, just use the ones I pull down from trespassing bowhunters. In over 23 years on my property I have yet to have a trespasser during gun season. I do catch folks looking for mushrooms and arrow heads without permission.

People are people, whether they carry a gun or a bow or a mushroom sack. Ya got good ones and ya got bad ones.

08-Nov-12
I would like to see archery equipment allowed during gun season. I am a NR and hunt private land that my family owns. I hunt with my 70 year old dad that can't bowhunt so I don't have the opportunity to go during archery season, gun season is my only option. I just want a greater challenge and wouldn't have a problem with wearing orange.

There would be no harm in allowing bows during gun season, just make it so you still have to buy the gun tag, but can use archery equipment. CO does this, if it works here in National Forests with rifles it can certainly work in IL and not be a safety issue.

08-Nov-12
Actually in all those stats there is not one FACT that says it would be unsafe to allow people to bowhunt during the gun seasons. A FACT proving that it would be unsafe would be something like "We tried this back in the 70's, and there were 22% more injuries per hunter reported when both gun and bow hunters were allowed to hunt during the same season". What you have is pure speculation. I'm not saying it's bad speculation, as I've already given my opinion, but it is speculation nonetheless.

The other items just seem to point to bowhunters getting their fair share already. I agree with the quantity of the experience, however the quality of the experience has dwindled. A greater percentage of the season is now shared with a number of other groups whether it be rifle, shotgun, pistol, or crossbow.

08-Nov-12
Sorry BowMad23 but adding thousands more bowhunters into the firearm season would increase the likelihood of more people getting shot. It is a fact because it is a mathematical probability.

IF...you do not believe me you can google search 'mathematical probability' and read about the scientific/mathematical way that biologist would be able know this & calculate the increase.

Our IL biologist have been controlling firearm deerhunter afield, on a per county bases, for decade now. The safety factor has always played a big part of their calculation, into the county permit quotas.

08-Nov-12
A few thoughts to ponder...

The last time the DNR would give us stats, there were over 30,000 bowhunters who didn't gun hunt. Keep that number in mind.

1) Safety - speculation or not, that's a lot more people to put into the woods at one time. You can't limit it to just landowners... we don't need more class warfare. If you make those permits available, you have 30,000 more hunters applying for, and getting, permits. And let's face it... bow-shot deer will often travel farther than gun-shot deer. Where I hunt, that could mean having to walk by several gun hunters while tracking a deer just a few hundred yards. I guarantee you that safety is number one on DNR's list, and they are extremely conservative... they don't even want to issue season-long spring turkey tags because they're afraid it would put too many hunters in the woods.

2) Let's say you make bowhunters buy a gun permit to hunt those 7 days. That's 30,000 fewer permits available for someone who may not bowhunt. Assume a bowhunter drew a gun permit in his county, in addition to getting to hunt 105 days on his regular archery permit. What if he pulls a permit away from a gun-only hunter in some small county with limited numbers of permits? You now have some hunters getting to take multiple deer (and bucks) in one season, while other hunters couldn't even get a permit for one. Is that fair?

3) Deer management - from a strict management point of view, how could the DNR try to figure out how many permits to issue... not knowing how many permits are being used by gun hunters or gun hunters (with very different success rates)? Not only do you have the 30,000 bowhunters now getting gun tags, there would probably be even more who would choose a bow (or crossbow) over a gun... making it even harder to figure out how many permits to issue.

I'm a bowhunter, first and foremost. Never killed a deer with a gun, and I'll probably celebrate opening day of this gun season in a boat crappie fishing! I should be the poster child for wanting to be afield those extra 7 days, but I have no problem giving others the chance after spending TONS of time in the woods over 3.5 months. I dislike gun season like most true bowhunters, but I'm not selfish enough to take chances away from others just to give myself a few extra days... that probably wouldn't be all that enjoyable anyway.

08-Nov-12
Vids....good news, you can buy an N/R archery permit & a N/R gun permit. So you can already hunt with a bow & with your father during the gunseason.

The state of Colorado & it's mountainous National Forest are VERY VERY different then the plains of most of IL !!!!!!

More facts to prove this ( from google) =

CO has about 5 million people compared to 13 million for IL

CO has 109,000 sq mile compared to IL's 58,000 sq

CO has more them 11,000 ft of vertical height difference (statewide) compared to IL's less then 1,000 ft

I think most people would call this an apples & oranges comparison

Hope that's enough facts to helps explains why rifled deerhunting & bowhunting the IL firearm season, have both never been allowed here.

08-Nov-12
Lynn - Can you point me to where it says a N/R can buy an archery tag for the gun season? The only thing I see about archery season says flat out it is closed during gun season. That would be nice if I can do that in the future.

I have to say I don't agree that your facts show my comparison as apples to oranges.

State population doesn't mean anything, 9.8 million people live in the Chicago area which is why you have more people. The proper comparison would be number of hunters. CO has 375,000 deer/elk/pronghorn hunters per year, IL has 356,916 firearm hunters. Pretty similar numbers in my mind. If 10% of those 356,916 had a bow instead of a gun, why are they at more risk than a gun hunter? Just control the number of tags, it's easy.

Elevation difference throughout the state doesn't mean anything either. Sure, the state has 11,000 ft of elevation difference but elk are hunted between 8-10,000 ft primarily. Have you ever pronghorn hunted on the eastern plains? Flat as a pancake and wide open. IL has a lot off wooded areas which would be safer than eastern CO. Plus, the fact that a rifle bullet will travel 3-4 miles whereas a slug will not wipes out any effect that elevation has on safety.

Like I said above, it's pretty simple. Keep the number of tags the same, just give gun hunters the option of using a bow. No hunters added, no mathematical probability of higher risk.

09-Nov-12
KC, you said "how could the DNR try to figure out how many permits to issue". Its obvious the DNR don't care. They have over the counter doe permits for archery and gun seasons. Like i said before, MONEY manages our deer herd, not biologists. I also put in my previous post that when i talked to Shelton, he said that, if they allowed bowhunters to continue to hunt during gun season, no one would buy gun permits. Seems funny that he didn't mention one thing about SAFETY for the hunters, as a reason. If they would consider that most landowners won't let anyone hunt because somebody else is allready hunting on the private lands, therefore, the DNR shouldn't go by certain amount of hunters, per so many acres of wooded land. Most of the wooded land the owners won't let you hunt. The DNR don't care, MONEY is all they care about. Twenty tears ago, we had a DNR that actually gave two sh!ts about our deer and wildlife. Today we so many different seasons, weapons, and it shows just where the wildlife is going. Down the sh!tter. I guess we will have foam targets to shoot at. Might be a little tough to gut though. JMO

09-Nov-12
Sorry BowMad23 but adding thousands more bowhunters into the firearm season would increase the likelihood of more people getting shot. It is a fact because it is a mathematical probability"

I would never support gun season being open to all bowhunters ,however if you are already holding a firearm deer permit that allows a choice of weapons ,why not include bows in that choice . There would not be more hunters in the woods,because you would be required to have a firearm deer permit. .

KC ........ #1) see above

#2) ....... I dont believe for one second that thousands of bowhunters are going to rush out and start buying gun tags because of an additional 7 days to hunt. In my area a high percentage of bowhunters already buy gun tags . It is my opininion that they should have the option to shoot the deer with a bow if they choose . Keep in mind they would have to tag the deer with a gun tag which would keep it out of any bowhunting record book. I would bet that less than 1% would ever actually hunt with a bow during these 7 days , but I believe it should be legal to do if they choose.

"while other hunters couldn't even get a permit for one"............. for many years in illinois not everyone that applied received a gun tag . Sometimes it might be one tag every 2 or three years . And that sucked .

But are you suggesting that gun tags should be limited to non bowhunters . Even if not everyone draws a tag , bowhunters have just as much right to buy a gun tag as anyone else ......... NO ????

#3 .....since they alrady have gun permits this would not change the # of permits in one way or another.The extremely small number of hunters that would hunt with a bow would not alter the kill statistics significantly.Obviously anyone that would choose to hunt with a bow instead of a gun is not that concerned about killing something on that day .

09-Nov-12
50 and 40 and 30 and even 20 years ago Hunting Was Fun!...not so much now! The State has caused that in many ways.....No Reason to NOT allow bow hunting (at least on Private Property) during firearm season! All remarks against it is LAME!....it all boils down to a Choice of Weapon and that is all!......Missouri does it......rifle, shotgun, pistol, muzzleloader, archery, etc. .... Not Complicated At All! .... and 'they' are having "FUN"!

09-Nov-12
Why not allow guns during bow season, I know more people that would like to gun hunt for 3 1/2 months than bowhunters that are worried about the 7 days of gun season that they cant hunt.It seems to me no matter how much time people get to bowhunt they never think it is enough. I personally have quit hunting during gun season and after some hard thoughts about it decided it was more because of the sheer number of people in the woods than because I hate to shoot a deer with a gun. I seem to run into a lot more people doing stupid things during gun season, not saying all gun hunters are idiots, but because of the sheer number of people in the woods for those seven days you happen to interact with more idiots. I hunt private land only and I can honestly say that I think it is fair to give the gun hunters their fair time in the field without bowhunters just as it is fair to give bowhunters their time without gun hunters. We are very fortunate in IL to have the length of season that we do and I would think that if you can't kill deer in the 3 1/2 months of bow season we already have then an extra 7 days probably won't help you much anyway.

09-Nov-12
And to answer the question of why no organization has made this a priority... because the majority of hunters don't want it. In an INHS survey a few years ago, 57% were against it while only 35% were for it (8% undecided). Just because a few guys on a message board are in favor of something doesn't mean everyone is. Last thing we need is more special interest groups setting regs on more social issues.

09-Nov-12
KC - What was the question posed in that survey? Were 57% against allowing the bow season to overlap with gun season? Or against allowing hunters to use a bow during gun season if they have a gun tag? I could see why hunters don't want the overlap.

I'm not advocating to add any more hunters or licenses, just saying that those who purchase a gun tag should have the option of hunting with a bow. Seems like no harm done by allowing more primitive weapons as long as the number of gun tags doesn't increase.

09-Nov-12
The survey question was...

"Should archery hunters be allowed to hunt during the regular firearms season."

Doesn't mention permits.

If you don't add any more permits, then you could be taking up to 30,000 permits away from gun hunters. I'm sure there wouldn't be that many, but you get the point. I think bowhunters, in general, would appear selfish if we proposed something that could take tags away from gun hunters. Think about it... Bowhunters who already hunt 105 days and can take 2 bucks, could take a tag away from someone who only gun hunts, essentially locking them out of the entire season.

Find a politician willing to run that piece of legislation, and wait for the gun hunters to wake up and fight it.

09-Nov-12
I'm sure it would take away a few licenses from gun hunters but I doubt very many. The only ones that would be taken away would be licenses sold to resident hunters that refuse to gun hunt, but would now buy a license just to bowhunt those 7 days.

09-Nov-12
The majority of IL deerhunters do not want this, our IL biologist don't want this & our IL biologist have never wanted this....it is plain & simple.

Sure there will always be some "ME ME ME" people who can come up with lots & lots of different reasons why it would work out better for 'them'.

"50 and 40 and 30 and even 20 years ago Hunting Was Fun" = the real funny thing is that 50 and 40 and 30 and even 20 years ago, bowhunting wasn't allowed during the firearm season either AND "Hunting was" still "Fun", right ......8^)

It is pretty sad how some of you are all for displacing hundreds or thousand of our fellow IL deerhunters (gunhunters), out of their deerseason....8^(

Can any of you honestly say that we must have 112 days of bowhunting in IL ???

09-Nov-12
all this talk about "taking" permits away from the gun hunters is ridiculous.

Many bowhunters , in my area most bowhunters are already gun hunters .

Thats where most bowhunters come from .......... converted gun hunters ....... back in the day it was one of Bear Archery's advertising campaigns ........ "become a two season hunter"

09-Nov-12
like it or not ....... it will eventually happen ...... just like the crossbows that we failed to stop......... and we will either give up or share parts of "our" season with more hunters . But heaven forbid that we ask them to share with us .

I cant believe we have folks on a bowhunting sight standing up for and wanting to protect gun hunters and their season .

oh well ... we are all entitled to our opinions and posting about it here wont change one thing.

09-Nov-12
"Many bowhunters , in my area most bowhunters are already gun hunters ."

Could be... but that 30,000 number (bowhunters who do not gun hunt AT ALL) is straight from IDNR, and they confirmed it just a few months ago when I was in a Senate committee hearing with them. Want to know how many gun hunters don't bowhunt? A LOT! Think they'd like a few more days in OUR season? We fight extended gun season bills every year. Just last year there was a bill that would double it... from 7 days to 14 days. Push archery into the gun season, and I guarantee you'll be dealing with more E/S gun hunting days not long after.

"I cant believe we have folks on a bowhunting sight standing up for and wanting to protect gun hunters and their season ."

I can't believe we have people who are so greedy that they can't be satisfied with 105 days of hunting and the opportunity to take multiple deer... that they'd STILL want 7 more days and the good chance of taking a permit away from another hunter just because they hunt with a different weapon... for 7 stinking days when the deer are already bouncing all over the place from overcrowded woods.

I've been on the receiving end of the "greedy bowhunters" comments in Springfield with the DNR and legislators. It makes it one hell of a lot harder to fight things like crossbows in the full archery season, extended antlerless gun seasons, extended regular gun seasons, and high-powered rifles... when there's bowhunters who think they need more and more all the time.

We (bowhunters) had one heck of a time a few years ago because some "greedy bowhunters" (not any organization) showed up in Springfield the year before FIGHTING to keep kids from being able to shoot bucks in the youth gun season. Lawmakers remember crap like that. And they remember how we fought to keep NR's limited. And they remember us fighting crossbows year after year. And they remember us fighting every bill that expands gun hunting... from high-powered rifles to more gun days to 3-buck limits to unlimited buck harvest.

At some point, it's just not worth it to keep asking for more and more all the time in Springfield. Some things are worth fighting for, and others (like this issue) just aren't... especially with facts (DNR survey) against it.

And yes, that's my opinion. I feel just fine with my stance because I'm not asking for special treatment to extend my hunting days at someone else's expense... bow or gun.

10-Nov-12
KC Well said!

10-Nov-12
Good post KC.

10-Nov-12
were bowhunters being greedy when they took an extra day for gun season and then added a 3 day muzzleloader sniper rifle season ?

what percentage of bowhunters continue to bowhunt after the second gun season ? Not many ! .... maybe 2 or three hunts total after the guns for most and not at all for many. With that in mind the 105 days you mention doesnt really mean much.

Do you really believe those 30,000 bowhunters that dont gun hunt at all are going to run out and start ordering gun permits for 7 more days ? What about the THOUSANDS of bowhunters that do gun hunt . Why do you not feel the need to support them ?

I agree that no one "needs" to use a bow during gun season . But no one needs to hunt with a crossbow during bow season either. Does anyone need to hunt with a handgun during gun season ? What about muzzleloaders , why do they "deserve" a special season when they already have 7 days to hunt with the gun hunters .

It seems ironic that you support everything in the above except allowing a gun hunting bowhunter the right to choose .

10-Nov-12
"It seems ironic that you support everything in the above except allowing a gun hunting bowhunter the right to choose . "

"What about the THOUSANDS of bowhunters that do gun hunt . Why do you not feel the need to support them ? "

voodoochile / rick perry / buckhunter/ a person who is banned from bowsite..... you don't know what all Kevin &/or I support or do not support, so don't make stupid erroneous statements trying to imply that you do !!!!

Thousands & thousands of deer get killed by bowhunters, after the gun seasons every year, so thousands of bowhunters hunt after the firearm season. So all 105 days are used.

10-Nov-12
I vote for Archery remain open through gun seasons.;) I got an idea, lets make a HUGE deal out of this thread! ;) Couldn't resist!

11-Nov-12
CHOICE of WEAPON ....is all this means!

NOT taking away any permits or extending seasons!

Everyone 'dances around' this meaning!

Firearm Season use to be 'shotgun'...now it is shotgun, muzzleloader, handgun .... the Permit Holders CHOICE! Some just seem to Not Get the Drift! A CHOICE of Weapon by the firearm permit holder is all it boils down to..... So I and maybe others, choose Not to Gun Hunt (even though some of us do have Gun Tags) but we'd rather use these tags and use a bow during this time. Sitting out there deer hunting with 3 different types of firearms AND/OR a BOW sounds fairly simple to me. CHOICE of Weapon!

No One is taking anything away from the firearm permit hunters!

11-Nov-12
"CHOICE of WEAPON ....is all this means!

NOT taking away any permits or extending seasons!"

Herm, there's 30,000 hunters who have never bought a firearm tag before (I'm thinking that's the part people don't seem to understand) who would now have access to the season. As far as gun permits, you have to do 1 of 2 things...

1) Increase the number of gun season permits to accommodate the influx of new hunters (up to 30K), or

2) Keep the gun season permit numbers the same, and let the bowhunters fight it out with the gun hunters for the available permits... which WILL displace some hunters who only gun hunted.

The only other alternative is using existing archery permits during gun season, which then adds thousands more hunters in the woods and decreases tag revenue because nobody would buy gun tags. Or... all those extra gun tags (30K, 50K, 100K?) would then go to gun hunters, resulting in increased kill numbers.

Which would you choose? The state selling more gun permits so everyone has a chance at a tag (I'm sure DNR wouldn't mind this option... raising more $$$)? Forcing a gun-only hunter to sit out an entire season while a bowhunter (possibly taking multiple deer) takes his tag away from him this year? Or keeping archery season open and killing thousands more deer due to the leftover gun tags going to more gun hunters?

11-Nov-12
The heck with two season hunters. Establish an either/or season as Oregon did several years ago. Both seasons will be less crowded.

Ya like to bowhunt? Bowhunt! Ya like to gun hunt? Gun hunt!

Put greed on the back burner and stop trying to take away from each other.

11-Nov-12
KC,(Kevin) you have many good points and I have always respected that. I guess my hang-up is I don't really care about kiling a 'deer' .... the hunt is what I enjoy and me being very selective when I do choose to take a deer. I'm not one of 'them' that just because I have the tags I 'have to' kill something. I only shoot about 1 deer every 4 or 5 years. But I enjoy the hunt and letting all small deer walk.

I really don't have any qualms about gun season. I use to enjoy it till I out grew it. We each have a different drive for all things in life. We all choose to, or not to....CHOICE is all I was driving at. But I do understand your ideas and where you are coming from. 30,000 BOW hunters that DO NOT apply for firearm tags....My Hat is off to them!....for I guess they are true bowhunters! That in itself is something to be proud of (I think).

So, We do have a 'choice', either bow hunt only or apply for a firearm permit and 'make us' use a firearm. Hmmmm, I guess I'll just be a private property patroler during firearm season as I have done for many years. But I Sure Do Miss The Hunt!

-}}}}}}}}}}}}------------------>

TOM has the right idea! That would be a perfect solution!

12-Nov-12
one last comment ......... there are 15 days total of gun hunting in illinois . Currently bowhunting is allowed during 8 of those days and it is not allowed during 7 days . Which one is right ? Why is it ok during some seasons and not others .

The problem here is that a self appointed expert doesnt want to discuss or debate an issue,only wants to dictate.

Lynn you havent changed a bit .The minute your arguments run out of steam you immediately try to make it personal.

Please show us some of the data you love to post that will tell us how many bow kills are registered after the second gun season. Please have the data by counties so everyone will know what is happening in their area.

BTW .... there is a thread on TradGang about bowhunting during gun season. Several trad hunters from several states are posting positive posts about it. Maybe you should contact the DNR from all those other states to let them know the error of their ways .They probably do not realize they are ruining their gun seasons.

12-Nov-12
I don't need statistics, I just like to bow hunt and gun hunt both. For 30 years I was a dedicated bowhunter. Finally, I got tired of putting away my toys when the rut was really kicking, so I started gun hunting. I have as good of memories of gun hunting that I do bowhunting. I like the idea that I can reach out there and get that guy or take a doe. There have been many seasons since I started gun hunting, 10 yrs ago, that I couldn't' shot a buck because I already had my two down with a bow, but it was still fun just waiting and taking a doe. I enjoyed the hunt.

Why does everyone have to have THEIR WAY all the time. The present way, Eeryone gets something.

12-Nov-12
I'm just amazed at the selfishness of a few individuals that have the my way or the highway attitude. I do remember not getting a shotgun tag for a particular county that I turned to bowhunting because the tag was good for everywhere. And boys and girls one deer is all you got for the year big decision Huh? This will be the first year since the winter of 1980 I'll miss bow season because of torn rotor cuff surgery. Yup I'll be shotgun hunting down south and muzzleloader hunting here in the northeast. To say "No one needs to hunt with a crossbow either" You sanctomonius POS I for one can't wait to see your sorry butt in the same position many bowhunters find theirselves in at the beginning of your next bowhunting season

12-Nov-12
HH, either/or seasons are a good fair way to satisfy hunters of different persuasions in states like Il where the demand for tags and hunting ground outnumber the supply. Not a perfect system but does eliminate some problems.

I started hunting Oregon in 1968 so experienced the hunting there before and after it was started there and the change was good for them. I brought this idea up with the IBS in the 80's to see if we could try to implement it in IL and got zero support from the members so dropped it.

I have no idea how Springfield would have received that suggestion back then but suspect in today's climate it would have been easier to have gotten it then than now.

12-Nov-12
voodoochile - you are correct when you say we can hunt part of the gun season already, the only difference is that gun hunters can only shoot does during the last 2 seasons where we as bowhunters can shoot any deer. What would you want to give up to the gun hunters to gain access to their 7 days of gun only? Maybe make it a 14 day any weapon season? I think the point is that as bowhunters in IL we are blessed with a lot of advantages over the gun hunters to begin with. We have the first season, the longest season the most days to hunt during the peak rut, I don't know how much more you think you deserve.I for one am quite happy with the way it works now. I would be afraid of what we would have to give up in terms of what we already have to negotiate archery equipment into gun season. I know it sounds simple but everything in politics is give and take, if they give it to us what will they take from us.

12-Nov-12
I have mixed feelings on this whole thing. Part of me says don't rock the boat and be careful for what you wish for. The other part of me says let the bowhunters bowhunt on their private property with their archery permits as this really is no different than the sites that allow bowhunting during gun season.

And actually there is 10 counties now that have a CWD season and the gun hunters can kill any deer their left over permits are good for with the two buck limit not being in effect. They can also purchase antlerless CWD permits. Look at the CWD counties and they have a huge amount of permits available. Just a matter of time and this 10 counties will be 20.........

13-Nov-12
Lynn, quit telling yourself you are right and listen to someone else for a change. There is no proof that the PERCENTAGES go up in anything you listed. By your logic they shouldn't allow anyone to hunt because more people can get injured if 1 person is hunting than none. Didn't have time to read everything above at this time.

Edit: Whether there are 10 injuries per 100 or 100 per 1000 hunters the safety of one person is the same. If "they" have a scientifically sound procedure for determining how many people can hunt per (say a square mile) basis without any injuries, it may not be 100% factual, but at least somewhat credible. Those numbers were not given in the original post. BTW "basis".

Lynn I'm curious to know what your mathematical background is, or what you do for a living? Accusing me of knowing nothing about mathematics would lead me to believe you are a math genius.

"And let's face it... bow-shot deer will often travel farther than gun-shot deer. Where I hunt, that could mean having to walk by several gun hunters while tracking a deer just a few hundred yards." Altogether possible, but just curious, are there any stats to back this up?

Once again guys, your argument against appears to me to lie mostly with the fairness in season allotment already in place for bowhunters. I can't say I disagree with this. From my 2nd post on the thread if anyone missed it: "I'm curious to know the biological reason archery tackle isn't allowed in firearm seasons? I'm not sure I'm an advocate of pushing the idea, as we do already have a pretty fair season in my mind, but just curious."

13-Nov-12
Yes let's fill the woods with gun hunters and bow hunters and kill off a few of each and then say, "Oh, maybe that was't such a good idea." This isn"t an experiment you want to do since it is involving peoples lives. I might be wrong this, and I am sure some one will straighten me out, but isn't that why they strig out turkey season like they do, safety? Or maybe its just for the safety of the turkeys.

13-Nov-12
I do listen to someone else. I listen to the majority of the ill hunters who do NOT want bows in the gunseason. Maybe u should try listening

13-Nov-12
I do listen to someone else. I listen to the majority of the ill hunters who do NOT want bows in the gunseason. Maybe u should try listening

13-Nov-12
I gave my stance on the subject in a couple posts, including the last one. In neither case did I say I wanted to push for, nor that the majority of people are pushing for this. Maybe I should include the word "read" instead of just listen.

14-Nov-12
how many dues paying members are there in the IBS ?

Is that the majority of illinois hunters ?

14-Nov-12

voodoochile's Link
the chart on page 3 shows some interesting data . The archery harvest drops to insignificant levels (especially considering there were 217,000 + archery deer permits ) after day 62 (2nd gun season).

But look at the spike in archery kills on the last couple of days . Hmmmm ................... I wonder what thats about. ......... interesting stuff

14-Nov-12
'voodoochile'....many years ago IBS 'was' a good club and had some clout. 20 years ago it had a newsletter and a good size Paid Membership. IBS Banquets were guite a gathering and the auctions were 2nd to none. But through the years and "CHANGE" in Illinois Politics and some 'mishaps' in IBS leadership IBS had all but sunk. I'm guessing, but I'd say there is No Paid Membership now (I may be wrong)....and I'd say as a guess also that IBS is only a few 'members' (per-se') that carry the IBS forward as a bowhunting organization for and in the State of Illinois.

Shotgun Season starts Friday (yuck) so the bow will get a 3 days rest! It has been this way for years and I can and do live with that!......

14-Nov-12
Ten years ago Wisconsin created their CWD zone and extended archery season through all firearms seasons within its borders. A few years ago they enacted that change statewide. I don't recall hearing one peep about any increase in hunting accidents as a result.

14-Nov-12
I get tired of hearing people whine about this year in and year out. Bowhunters have plenty of time in the woods, but some still want seven days more. I hunt deer with my bow during bow season. When gun season comes in, I put the bow down and pick the gun up. I am a DEER HUNTER!!! I enjoy doing both equally for different reasons. I guess to some of you that makes me evil, but I certainly couldn't care less what anyone thinks. We all base our opinions on what we believe. The bottom line is this-the seasons are the way they are because that's the way the IDNR/biologists/lawmakers want them. Some might not agree with their motives and decisions, but it is what it is. We should be thankful that we have excellent deer hunting in Illinois, and SHUT UP!!

Highlife: I feel for you not being able to pick up the bow this season. I don't post much, but anyone who has read my posts might know that my dad hunts with a crossbow due to 3 shoulder surgeries. He's a 40 year bowhunter. Some people on this site would have him not be in the woods with his crossbow. I think these people are self righteous morons. They call crossbows x-guns, but some of these same people hunt with compound bows! I don't get it. Just wait until some of them have a rotator cuff go bad, then tell us if you are done hunting.

14-Nov-12
deerhunter72 - You're reading something into it that isn't really there. Not everyone is asking to extend the archery season, we just want the option of using a bow while holding a firearm license. My family hunts the first firearm season together every year, it's a tradition. I would love to hunt with my family and also use a bow, but under currrent regs I cannot. (I could do this in many other states, just not IL) Yes, I can come to IL during archery season to bowhunt alone, but that sort of kills the point of coming to hunt there with my family.

I understand the point about adding 30k bowhunters which would force out some gun hunters, not really a great plan. One solution would be to make archery licenses available during the gun season, but if you buy one for during the gun season you cannot hunt during the regular archery season. That would solve the issue for NRs mainly, since most of us aren't going to travel to IL twice to hunt each year. It doesn't address the issue for residents that also bowhunt during archery season though, I don't have a great suggestion to address the issue for everyone though.

And yes, I realize that this solution only solves my problem, but I'm also not asking anyone to go to bat for me. I will live with shotgun hunting if I have to.

14-Nov-12
Vids, I understand what you are saying. However, having the option to hunt with a bow during the gun season IS extending the archery season. It is not necessary, and in my opinion it would cause more problems than it would solve.

14-Nov-12
deerhunter72, i accept your opinion. Now my opinion is that people that don't like to use a gun, has to sit out the rut every year. Its not 7 days extra that i care about, but the first 3 days of gun season is pretty much right in the prime time of the rut. I don't really care about the last 4 days. I personally would like to hunt during the main rut. If gun season was the last week of season in January, how many people do you think would gun hunt, muzzle loader, and pistol, all that week? Its Ok for bowhunters, and gun hunters to disagree. We don't have to go to name calling like Highlife showed. You can't be upset with a bowhunter wanting to hunt the rut. The bowhunter wouldn't take the 30,000 permits you were talking about, from a gun hunter, the bowhunter could use his or her tags they allready have. No sense in getting upset because a guy wants to use a bow for a more challenging hunt. Safety reasons by the DNR is bogus. MONEY is what its all about. I wouldn't worry too much about the 30,000 extra permits, because the DNR handed out 40,000 extra permits a couple years back, and the harvest numbers were still down. The DNR are wiping out our deer herd, while we as hunters argue over letting bowhunters to continue to hunt during gun seasons. If we as hunters would spend as much time trying to save our deer herd, as we did bashing one another for a weapon of personal choice, we all would be better off. Anyone that goes and brings up any kind of new season, for some stupid reason, for deer hunting, to the DNR, they are going to allow it, because MONEY is what they are after. Its not rocket science, look at all the gun seasons we have now. Next year, you can bet that X-guns will be legal for everyone. With our deer herd diseased off this year, and a drought expected next summer, where is the herd going to be? JMO from a VERY concerned bowhunter.

14-Nov-12
Bentstick, I totally agree with you about the state and DNR-it is all about money. However, the woods of Illinois are about to be flooded with people this weekend, "a lot of whom only handle a gun one or two weekends a year". That's a direct quote from a CPO I spoke with this evening. His concern is about the number of people who might die this weekend. It's a real concern for him, and us all, because it happens every year. Adding bow hunters in with the gun season will only add to the possible number of injuries/ deaths.

You have a point about the rut, but I think that it's proven that Veterans Day, and a day or two before and after, are the peak days for big buck kills. It certainly has been for me. I would miss opening day of gun season before I missed Veterans Day. Just my opinion.

14-Nov-12
I'm glad we can talk things out. I really think that the DNR needs to bring back a true lottery. I would like to see the DNR bring back the "one either sex permit" for archery, and cut the gun permits back to a third of what they have now, just for a couple of years, to help strengthen our herd. If the CPOI is worried about people getting shot, that tells me that there are way too many gun permits being allowed. I personally don't think that you should be able to buy "over the counter permits" for either one of Gun, or archery. This proves my point. What kind of Deer Management is our DNR doing, when they do things like this? Especially with the harvests numbers being below expected figures, the last few years. The DNR should have sent out a Bulliten, and stopped deer season the 31st of December, and only allowed 6 days of gun season this year, due to the devastation of the Blue Tongue, and EHD. No late season anything, to help the herd, but they will not do it. That is not Managing nothing.

14-Nov-12
I'm with you all the way on that Bentstick, and I would be fine with everything you just said. The DNR is just cashing in on the huge profit machine that Illinois deer hunting has become.

16-Nov-12
72 ...No one is "whining". This should be considered a discussion , not a whining session.

BTW ...... I am not against crossbow permits issued to hunters with a medical condition. I'm really not that anti crossbow at all . With modern compounds being as advanced as they are I dont feel that crossbows are that much out of line. I'm betting that within a couple years crossbows will be included as legal archery equipment for the entire bow season whether we like it or not.

I dont have any intentions of hunting with a bow during the gun season but I feel that it should be an option. The 30,000 gun permit thing is not realistic im my opinion. As I have already said the majority of bowhunters already buy gun tags and I dont believe for a minute that the ones that dont are going to run out and buy a gun tag just to add 7 days to their season.

The point made about gun season interupting the rut is a valid point as well.

Years ago Illinois had one of the most respected deer programs in the country. That is no longer the case . We havent changed with the times the way some other states have done. Politicians now make the decisions instead of biologists and that is a poor plan.

17-Nov-12
If you're a hunter on private property, it makes no sense to me why I can't bowhunt during this time.

We don't allow gun hunting on our farm, it would sure be nice and reasonable to allow me to bowhunt my own farm during this time.

I know we don't have to mimic Indiana for a lot of reasons, but at least they recognize that if you want to, just put on an orange vest and go for it.

Scott

• Sitka Gear