woodguy65 12-Mar-13
JUSTHUNT1 12-Mar-13
HighLife 12-Mar-13
JUSTHUNT1 12-Mar-13
petedrummond 13-Mar-13
bfisherman11 14-Mar-13
HighLife 15-Mar-13
11-Mar-13
I took my daughter shed hunting yesterday and as we walked an area known for beavers chewing down trees we found 2 trees with all the bark chewed off of them but both were still standing. There were several trees laying on the ground around them and they were debarked totally! The chew marks on the standing trees matched the ones on the ground. The stripping of the bark was approximately 13 to 14 ft up and when the branches got to be 1 1/2" to 2" in diameter it stopped. Almost like it was too heavy to go any higher. The ground had several of the little sawdust pellets on it and they were about twice the size of a rabbit but I know it was beaver poop! I've seen this once before but never really investigated what was going on. I've seen a groundhog in a tree eating mulberrys but never a beaver! Webbed feet are not meant for climbing but it just can't be anything else. The chew marks are too big for squirrels and too high for deer so I know it has to be the beavers, but why wouldn't they just chew the tree at the base til it falls? Anybody ever seen this or have any input?

11-Mar-13
I dunno bout beavers but groundhogs can climb trees

12-Mar-13
porcupines eat bark

12-Mar-13
It ain't beavers up that high.

Lets see some pics.

My bet is squirrels if its just the bark stripped.

12-Mar-13
I'll go back and get some pics in the next few days and post them. It's freaky looking!

No porcupines in Macon county that I've ever heard of but that did come to mind Pete

12-Mar-13
Not touching this one;)

12-Mar-13
I'm being serious HighLife!! No joke!

13-Mar-13
Porcupines might have hitched a ride here. Timber trucks may have freeloaders on them and their absolute favorite thing is plywood, they really like the glue. They are really stupid and even belligerant. Had one cllimb a wooden stand twice while bear hunting and they started munching on the floor. Knocked obe out and he turned around hissed and came back and started eating the floor out from underneath till i stabbed him with an arrow. Even with that he was slow to leave hissing all the way.

14-Mar-13
I know you said no Porcupines but I was hunting in WI once and I saw a Porcupine come walking in. He walked over to a tree and climbed right up with no problem. He then got comfortable and went to sleep. About a half hour later another Porcupine comes walking in like a dog on a trail. It came right to the same tree and climbed up. Once it got to the same level as the other, one of them started making this loud crying noise. It was a long time ago so i don't really recall how it sounded BUT it was very annoying. By the way, I saw no deer that day.

Anyhow, a Porcupine can climb no doubt. I would suppose they would eat bark as well.

Bill

15-Mar-13
Relax I know you are just the thread title strikes me funny.

• Sitka Gear