ksq232 11-Aug-17
Habitat1 11-Aug-17
Catscratch 13-Aug-17
Thornton 13-Aug-17
Garrett 15-Aug-17
Kansasclipper 15-Aug-17
Matt Palmquist 15-Aug-17
03-Apr-07
Have you ever heard of the Diamond Springs Ranch near Atchison, KS? I heard of a guy who bought 80 acres in the middle of the ranch a couple of years ago. DSR is now mad and thinks that the new owners are going to shoot all the deer and ruin their outfitting business. DSR has bulldozed an 50 ft swath of trees surrounding the 80 and is currently constructing an 8 ft tall fence around the property. DSR owns everything around the 80 (all four sides) except the 20 ft wide access road into the property. Can they do this? Can you totally fence someones property off? Are there any game laws against this?

Some nice deer have came off this ranch. www.diamondspringsranch.com

03-Apr-07
Yep, yep and nope. Welcome him to the new Kansas.

03-Apr-07
Never heard of the ranch, yes they can fence off their land if they desire, and no there are no game laws preventing it. The only thing they can't do is alter a natural occurring water flow from crossing their land.

03-Apr-07
Could the owner of the 80 still legally hunt the property? There would only be a 20 ft opening for the deer to come and go from the property. That would be quite a funnel point if the owner planted the 80 into one large food plot.

03-Apr-07
Any laws against hunting at the gate?

03-Apr-07
Diamond Springs Ranch has produced some monster whitetail deer in the past. Every year the boys from team realtree hunt there and they have harvested some big ones. If you have any of the Bill Jordan, monster buck videos you will see one or two hunts there every year. As for putting up a large fence around someone’s property, as long as they stay off the easement I don’t think there is any law against such a thing. Its just a shitty deal for the owner of the 80 acres.

03-Apr-07
Jake, of course he can hunt HIS property as long as he stays off public roadways.

03-Apr-07
I ask if hunting is still legal because the 80 acres essentially becomes a high fenced hunting area. Aren't high fenced hunting ranches illegal in Kansas?

What would stop the owners from having a deer push with a few blockers at the gate?

I'm not saying that would be ethical but is it legal to do in Kansas.

03-Apr-07
That's a reach to say the least. First of all, where in the law books does it say high fence hunting operations are illegal in Kansas? Nothing would stop them from having a push, deer drives are legal in Kansas and are fairly common during rifle season.

I'm scratching my head wondering if you are the owner of the 80 acres of land, part of the fence building ranch, or what??? I am leaning towards the ranch as typically people won't post a link and speak fondly of a place they dislike.

03-Apr-07
what kind of fool would pay to hunt high fence in kansas its cheaper to go to texas and hunt a high fence if it was my 80 i would turn it into a offroad park nothing is more annoying than sitting in your tree stand and listening to some guy on a four wheeler drive around you for hours on end thats just my opinion though

04-Apr-07
I am neither the owner of the 80 acres or the owner of DSR. I tried to start this thread with a neutral take because I wanted to hear you thoughts on all this. The point of my thread was not to start bashing DSR. I want to know what would keep someone from fencing off hunting ground that your or I own. Sorry for getting off track with the hunting at the gate thing.

QUESTION OF THE DAY:

What would you do if your hunting ground was becoming completely fenced off? What if all your neighbors got together and decided to put an 8 ft tall fence all the way around your property except for the access road in. What would you do?

04-Apr-07
I am neither the owner of the 80 acres or the owner of DSR. I tried to start this thread with a neutral take because I wanted to hear you thoughts on all this. The point of my thread was not to start bashing DSR. I want to know what would keep someone from fencing off hunting ground that your or I own. Sorry for getting off track with the hunting at the gate thing.

QUESTION OF THE DAY:

What would you do if your hunting ground was becoming completely fenced off? What if all your neighbors got together and decided to put an 8 ft tall fence all the way around your property except for the access road in. What would you do?

04-Apr-07
Assuming this 80 acres is great habitat, like stated above, I'd build the best food plot around and let the deer come! Of course, since it sounds like the ranch owners are being jerks, they could always fence down both sides of his easement... In that case, I'd be tempted to sell and move on... AFTER the ranch had already spent TONS of their own money ruining my deer hunting. If the land can be grazed at all, I'd think a farmer would love to have a fence of that quality that his neighbor's would maintain for him -- if they were getting lax, just have a few buddies out to deer hunt.:-)

16-Apr-07
I live in the area and hadn't heard a thing until I read this thread. Since then I have asked around. All I know now is that charges have been filed by the owner of the 80. I'm not sure what the charges are. Sounds like it's going to get interesting.

11-Aug-17
Yes he can put up the fence and yes he did do it

11-Aug-17
Yes he can put up the fence and yes he did do it

11-Aug-17

ROUGHCOUNTRY's embedded Photo
ROUGHCOUNTRY's embedded Photo
Boos86, you related to them? I thought their name was Boos too. Anyhow, I believe this old video buck of Jay Gregory's was arrowed on Diamond Springs ranch years ago. Funny, it was touted back then as a 180" Kansas giant and when I found the video on Ebay, the description says 168" Kansas 4x4. I mounted this buck while working for a taxidermist in Kansas City and I put a tape to it........155 inches to be exact.

11-Aug-17
why didnt the ranch buy this 80 acres?

11-Aug-17
Wow! Talk about a blast from the past, that's before my old KSQ2 login got all messed up.

11-Aug-17
Figures that the ranch would do such a thing,they must not have had as good of habitat as on the 80 and thats why they were worried.I would say the question might be is the ranch now considered high fence.

13-Aug-17
I know that a guy who leased his land to an oil company and had them put a pump on his place, sued for damages done during deer season because their presence alter deer movement and it cost him money from leasing to hunters. It settled out of court and he got his money... Crazy considering he got money from the oil lease AND a share of the production. I would say if the intent of the hunting club is to alter deer movement on the 80 (and the 80 could show a loss of money due to it) that the courts would side for the 80 owners. I don't know though and thankfully I've got great neighbors!

13-Aug-17
Ive seriously thought about putting a similar fence on the north side of my property to keep the idiot that hunts on my fence out

15-Aug-17
This fence has already been constructed on the border of some of this piece. The doubled up cattle panels to make an 8' fence. The ranch tried to buy the ground but the previous owner refused to sell it to them. The new owner gets harassed by the ranch hand every time he enters his 80. This has been a battle for awhile.

My family farms close to 15,000 acres in Atchison, Lancaster and Effingham. I think it is more of a "Jay Gregory" problem vs a DSR problem.

15-Aug-17
All this for a stupid deer. Sad for hunting.

15-Aug-17
Completely agree with Jeff on this one.....

Wow is about all I can come up with

• Sitka Gear