ksman-five 22-Jan-08
dr. bob 22-Jan-08
Dunner 22-Jan-08
Pikeaholic 24-Jan-08
RobinHood 25-Jan-08
tag eater 31-Jan-08
mtmiller 31-Jan-08
22-May-07
In light of Cabela's brokering the sale of the Weaver Ranch, how do you feel about Cabela's venture into the real estate market. As for myself, I will now have to assess whether I will any longer do busines with this company. I understand that selling the ranch was a personal choice of the ranch owners. But I resent the fact that Cabela's has now played a role in placing a prime piece of habitat into the hands of a few "well to doers" at the expense of many sportmen as a whole. Given that Cabela's is a major contributor to the RMEF, I believe that they should have followed the example of Anheuser Busch when they donated I believe the sum of $500,000 for the Robb Ck acquistion in SW Montana several years back. I feel that what Cabela's is doing by going into the real estate business goes in the face of what the RMEF represents and works so hard to accomplish to protect wildlife habitat. How much more of this can we expect to see from Cabela's? I am aware through an article that appeared in the Great Falls Tribune that they are also involved with a piece of property in the Bear Paw Mountains. Given that the Bear Paws are pretty much entirely in the hands of private land owners, it would be nice if there could be some land that were publicly owned. It now seems that Cabela's has embarked on the path of providing for the exclusive use of the few at the expense of the many! So what do you think?

23-May-07
I'm having some 2nd thoughts about Cabela's also, I don't like what they are doing either, they seem to be selling out the sportsmen and it is they who made cabelas what it is today. I suppose the ahd to find someway to pay for all the catologs they send out.

23-May-07
If you are concerned about these properties then petition RMEF to purchase said properties. that is the quickest way to remedy your concerns. Unless.. of course you have the financial capabilities to do what you would like to see done. I know I don't.

Do you know who bought the weaver ranch? could they possibly be willing to let you hunt the property? Heck they might be interested in becoming a BMA! Who Knows?!

23-May-07
Again the Q? arises,is hunting becoming a rich mans sport?

23-May-07
Unfortunately, the hope for the Weaver Ranch returning to the BMA list is doubtful when the ranch is being sold in parcels. And, petitioning RMEF to purchase said properties might be the quickest way to ease your conscience but it won't necessarily remedy the situation if RMEF won't buy and the seller won't sell.

I'm a glass-usually-half-full guy but, yep, I find it difficult to swallow that I've given plenty of money to a business that now facilitates the sale of unprotected quality habitat and shamelessly promotes outfitters who lease large blocks of land previously accessible simply by asking permission. It's a little ironic that the company who formerly offered the layman an alternative to the lofty Orvis types of catalogs now caters to that very crowd with its realty and international hunt depeartments. To be honest, I'm not sure what to make of it. Is it just a sign of the times, the simple exercising of landowner rights, and/or American capitalism at its best? Probably all of the above...but it still sucks for the future of hunting.

23-May-07
I don't think it's even a question anymore...it already is a rich man's sport. Personally I'm really disgusted with the direction hunting is going. I refuse to ever pay anyone to allow me to hunt on their land. Imagine how much "public" land will be left and how overcrowded it's going to be in the near future. It's pretty ridiculous as it is right now. I try and keep a close relationship with the landowners that allow me to hunt....but I just wonder how long it will take for them to give in to the money. Montana is no longer "Montana"....it's been sold to the rich for hunting privileges.

23-May-07
Pretty hard to blame Cabela's for the sale of a ranch... If the owners want to sell it, they will sell it. When you have 29,000 acres in one ranch, only the rich have any chance to purchase it.

23-May-07
Agreed, unless you subdivide it. Although it's not a question of conflict of interest in the legal sense, it just seems like Cabela's is having an identity crisis. On one hand they want to peddle their products to the masses and the other they want to cater to a wealthy minority. Sounds like a choice in diversifying that might come back to haunt them.

23-May-07
Good point, DJ.

I read in the Lewistown paper that the reported buyer has been asking the county planner lots of questions about subdivision laws in the area. That makes me nervous, though. I don't know what they plan to develop with subdivisions....

23-May-07
That's what I've been hearing/reading as well. Weird. It's not exactly prime and accessible ranchette country for retirement age folks and it's certainly one helluva road commute for anyone who doesn't telecommute. But one statement I've removed from my vocabulary is "Awwww, nobody will EVER build there." Been proven wrong too many times.

23-May-07
I just took a fishing trip near Mosby and did some driving through the breaks in that area. You'd be surprised how many "retirement" looking homes are actually there. It reminded me of the way the Kalispell area is growing. I suspect they may be more for hunting lodges but I wouldn't be surprised if that's what they may have intended for the Weaver ranch. Whatever the case, I would almost guarantee those 29,000 acres won't be available for pulic use.

24-May-07
I feel that those of us who do not agree with the course that Cabela's is setting out on, begin to search out what ever avenues may be available to voice our opposition to this land grab that Cabela's is now involving itself in. I would think that the earlier a shot is fired across their bow, the better. Obviously, the first option, would be contacting Cabela's. And just for good measure to let them know how serious you are, tell them to have your name removed from their mailing lists. And it wouldn't hurt to bring this subject up on the forums in the other states. Let them know that Cabela's has just helped to close off almost 30,000 acres of land that won't be available for them to hunt on when they plan their hunting trips here. As a member of the RMEF I intend to make my concerns known to them also. I do not believe with Cabela's being a partner with the RMEF, that what Cabela's is doing now is compatible with the mission of the Elk Foundation. Cabela's must be put on notice!!!

24-May-07
Does the RMEF allow hunting on the properties that they purchase?

24-May-07
Yes; almost all land acquired by RMEF eventually becomes public land ... mostly National Forest.

24-May-07
My understanding is if you buy a ranchet you can hunt the rest of the ranch and yes it is closed.

25-May-07
Purely a rumor but I'd heard it was going to be broken into 160 acre parcels. I have a surveyor friend who's been working on the property for the past couple months.

I agree with the comments regarding Cabelas and how two-faced it seems to try and promote the "sportsman" yet do something that will likely create sportsman/landowner/wildlife problems in the future. I think they are just proving it comes down to the almighty dollar.

25-May-07
I just sent them an e-mail indicating my displeasure. I also told them to take my name off their mailing lists and gave them a link to this discussion so they know there are people who are not happy with the direction they are taking. I suggest everyone here follow suit.

25-May-07
I think it is kind of two-faced for sure. If they are a major contributor to the RMEF and believe in those principles of protecting land from development, they should have brokered the deal only to the RMEF. Subdividing flys in the face of what the RMEF is all about.

28-May-07
Let me educate you boys a little bit more on how this Cabelas property thing works. Cabelas basically acts as a marketing vehicle in there real estate dealings. The brokers in this case Waldbillig Realty in Phillisburg pays cabelas a fee to buy the territory, there are two territories in Montana, Waldbillig has most of Montana, and Pearson out of Buffalo Wyoming has the other. These brokers paid a pretty large sum to buy these "rights" then Cabelas takes a percentage of there sales, I dont remember if it was gross or net. So basically Cabelas is just a place where these brokers can advertise and use the Cabelas logo to market there properties, the brokers fill in a web based form and then it is generated on the Cabelas website, and in some print advertising, the brokers may also advertise in any other source that they choose as well. In this case I have seen that ranch in all kinds of publications, listed by Nancy Weaver who works for Waldbillig. The sad truth is that this ranch would have sold on the market with or without Cabelas, Cabelas just makes a nice marketing tool for the broker and the seller. I doubt that Cabelas coorperate even has a clue as to most of these properties. It all boils down to money you guys, and when these families have been scraping by for generations and suddenly they are land rich, and that money can make a better life for them, it is hard to blame them. The rich are only getting richer, and Montana is only going to get smaller. My advice is to figure out a way to take the money from the rich, simple as that.

28-May-07
The Weaver Ranch sale is just the tip of the iceberg. Cabelas even if they are being used as a marketing tool is still actively pursuing this activity. Between their TAGS program, leasing land, relationships with outfitters, and now their reality business (no matter what form it takes) they hope to convert Montana or for that matter the rest of the west into another Texas.

Soon they will have folks like Chuck Rein working for them in the legislature to change the way wildlife is viewed by law. Wildlife will become the property of the landowner where it resides, this way landowners can market it the same as cattle. I just dream of the day I can pay Cabelas $300.00 a day or more to shoot gophers or coyotes.

Well that is the end of my tirade for now, but companies like Cabelas are a cancer on the landscape. They have ruined Nebraska, and the southern half of South Dakota and now want to see if they can't commercialize the wildlife thru out the rest of the west. To support them in any fashion is like using your hard earned recreational money to limit your own opportunity. I personally would not buy a single toothpick off them.

28-May-07
They are a lot like Plumcreek Timber company, not a Timber company anymore.

29-May-07
No doubt it is not just Montana.

30-May-07
I live in the heart of Cabelas main vein, Nebraska. Do not think that it is only Montana or "western states" they acquire properties. They have been picking up choice Nebraska properties for several years and continue to do so at a pretty fast rate. I used to be tickled that they were in my backyard, not so anymore. You reconsider their role in the marketplace when they attempt to or succeed at taking away your favorite hunting spots, which thay have done and and it hits you between the eyes. I prefer to now shop at the local Ma and Pa stores. Pay more, yes, but at least they do not crap on their customers shoes while taking your money

30-May-07
I don't buy the argument that someone else would facilitate the sale of the land anyway, so why not Cabela's? A realty company from mom & pop size to that of a national firm doesn't risk losing a substantial portion of their customer base because of their involvement in the sale and/or subdivision. If our little thread here is indicative of prevailing opinions nationwide, think about how many current customers Cabela's appears to be willing to risk alienating. They have the option and opportunity to positively facilitate protection of wildlife resources and habitat in partnership with RMEF or another organization and maintain or improve their image with their customers even if just promoting conservation easements during the sale of the property. They've instead decided to climb in their gold Caddie to pimp the 'hood for nothing other than cash.

30-May-07
Called and got off their mailing list, and told them why I'm no longer a customer. Shot my elk on the Weaver ranch last year.

30-May-07
Where exactly is the weaver ranch located.Dose it but up to the CMR directly south and west of turkey Joes.

31-May-07
It is southwest of turkey joes about 15 miles.

31-May-07
You guys need to cancel your subscriptions to Eastmans hunting Journals as well, I see they are advertising Cabelas real estate company now as well.

03-Jun-07
That would be great littlewound, if we could all join in and stop the developement of Montana land by hypocritical groups.

04-Jun-07
Guys - Cabela's did not buy the ranch. It does not buy recreational lands anywhere. Only commercial land for stores. The buyer of the Weaver Ranch is Western Skies Land Company. Call them yourself if you want (518) 359-9771. See if they will allow public hunting.

04-Jun-07
Lol, that's reassuring...an Albany, NY phone number.

13-Jun-07
Yes the Weaver ranch has been subdivided,they are building roads as we speak.

Atleast they had a good auction last friday. I don't shop cabelas any more. BBJ

13-Jun-07
The MWF Exec Board is preparing a letter to Cabela's concerning the impacts of their real estate program in Montana and a recently brokered sale of ranch in the Missouri Breaks. We would like to include as many of our clubs on the letter as possible. So we are asking your club to consider signing-on to the following letter. I just received this message from one of our board members: Craig Cabela's just opened a real estate office in Lewistown last week and hired 8 agents!

May 30, 2007

Mr. Dennis Highby, President & CEO Cabela's 1 Cabela Drive Sidney, NE 69160

Dear Mr. Highby:

The first words on the website of CABELA'S TROPHY PROERTIES, under the question: What is Cabela's Trophy Properties? Read: "For over 46 years, sportsmen have trusted Cabela's."

Regrettably, we now come to the conclusion that we sportsmen of Montana can trust Cabela's no longer.

Montana Wildlife Federation (MWF), Montana's oldest and largest organization of 7,000 hunters, anglers and outdoor enthusiasts, and with 23 affiliate sportsmen groups from throughout the state, have a substantial stake in the future of our diverse natural wealth: diverse landscapes, diverse wildlife, diverse waters, diverse fisheries, and diverse outdoor recreation opportunities. Our natural wealth has made Montana a wildlife, hunting and fishing paradise that we have fought long and hard to maintain.

The MWF Executive Board find that Cabela's is trading on its trusted reputation as a merchant of sporting goods to engage in a real estate marketing activity that is calculated to subvert and destroy the very system of North American wildlife conservation that has provided Cabela's with the hunter-and-angler markets that gave your company life in the first place.

Many MWF members have come to live in Montana precisely to escape the results in other states of such "recreational land marketing" that squeezes out hunters and anglers of ordinary means from access to publicly owned wildlife that is located on private lands. Please be informed that many thousands of Montana hunters and anglers are dedicated and committed to preserving our heritage of democratic public hunting and fishing. Virtually all of us have purchased sporting goods from Cabela's at one time or another. You cannot expect us to continue as your patrons if at the same time we are financing the loss of our hunting and angling opportunities.

Access to hunting opportunities is an issue of vigorous public debate in Montana and has been for many years. You cannot expect to escape the glare of public scrutiny and possible public policy change that will logically result from your campaign of marketing "trophy hunting properties."

We recommend a substantive discussion of this matter between the management of Cabela's and the leadership of Montana Wildlife Federation. We recognize that previous experience in marketing real estate as hunting properties may have left you uninformed of how strongly this practice is opposed by hunters and anglers in Montana. We still respect the great merchandising service that Cabela's has provided. We would hope that a discussion could be respectful and constructive.

In the absence of a discussion, however, this issue will not lie unattended.

The history of controversy over management of public wildlife on private land in Montana is too extensive and complex to fully relate in this letter. We will provide knowledgeable people to discuss this with you at your request. In brief, however, we in Montana have not surrendered rights of equitable opportunity to hunt wildlife on private lands as have the hunters and anglers of many other states.

We certainly continue to respect the private property rights of landowners and recognize many contribution's they make to habitat and hunting management. For these reasons we have engaged in extensive efforts to help financially and legally with managing the interface of hunters, game animals and private property.

The management scheme you facilitated for the 29,000-acre Weaver Ranch in Petroleum County, Montana is completely destructive of everything we have tried to accomplish in landowner - sportsman relations in this state. The North American Fish and Wildlife Conservation Model cannot survive this kind of management scheme.

We await your response. In the meantime we will proceed to protect our Montana heritage of democratic public hunting and angling.

Craig Sharpe Executive Director Montana Wildlife Federation (800)517-7256 (406) 458-0227 Official Web-site: www.montanawildlife.com This message brought to you by Montana's largest statewide wildlife organization of nearly 7,000 conservation minded hunters and anglers with a common mission 'To protect and enhance Montana's public wildlife, lands, waters and fair chase hunting and fishing heritage' They have been driving around and just pulling in to farms/ranches and asking if the folks want to sell. My niece and her husband asked them to leave!!!

14-Jun-07
Howler, are those last two sentences yours? Who has been pulling in to farms/ranches and asking if the folks want to sell?

14-Jun-07
DJ pm sent

14-Jun-07
Thankyou MWF! You are hitting the nail square on the head!!!

27-Jun-07
The Great Falls Tribune had an editorial opinion today about Cabela's involvment in selling lands that have been open to hunting for years. They basically decided that it was not a big deal for Cabelas to connect willing buyers with willing sellers, even if the new buyers chose to cut up large ranches and destroy wildlife habitat, and turn them into exclusive hunting areas for the rich new owners. Well, it is a mighty big deal to me and many other Montana hunters that I have heard from. The many dollars I have spent at Cabelas now leave a bad taste in my mouth. I think I might even cut the Cabelas label off all the clothes and gear I own that have it attached.

27-Jun-07
I heard yesterday they are all stirred up in Shelby about a large property on the Marias River. Same thing. Lots of guys sending their catalogs back with notes telling Cabela's to pound sand and stay out of Montana.

You definitely can't tell someone what they can or can't do with their land, but I am surprised at how willingly these families let their properties that have been in their families for generations, homesteaded, get broken up. I guess I am used to the folks I know with large ranches think differently. You will only split up thier land over their dead bodies. And I hope these people that are going to buy these 20s or 160s or whatever they are understand that you cna't go hunt the p!$$ out of a piece that small and expect elk and pheasants and such to stick around very long.

27-Jun-07
Here's the GFT editorial:

Don't blame brokers, blame the beauty of the land

June 27, 2007

The availability on the market of a large, historic piece of northcentral Montana property calls attention to a phenomenon that has been occurring in Montana for decades, if not since its founding.

We're referring generally to the purchase of prime Montana land by wealthy out-of-state interests, and specifically to the possible sale of the spectacular Charlie Lincoln ranch, more than 10,000 acres encompassing about 14 miles of Marias River breaks country southwest of Shelby. Lincoln died in March at age 84, and he left the ranch to the Catholic Church. His caveat was that if the church sells the land, the state of Montana gets first crack at buying it.

Exactly how that is supposed to happen wasn't clear, but as a first step the state Fish, Wildlife & Parks has let the Diocese of Helena know that it wants to be in on the discussions. "They understand we are very interested and will be getting back to us at the appropriate time," said Jeff Hagener, FWP director.

That's good, because this is a rare stretch of river, one running free and virtually undeveloped on its way from the Rocky Mountain Front to Lake Elwell 15-20 miles downstream. It would make a fine addition to the state's public land inventory.

"You can float from one end to the other and not see crops, sprinklers or farmsteads," said Gary Olson, a Conrad wildlife biologist. "It is pretty remote. If you wanted to travel back in time to see what Meriwether Lewis saw on his return trip, this would be the place."

A wildcard in the deal — one that has jaws a little tight among some area recreationists — is that the sporting goods giant Cabela's is rumored to be involved in marketing the property.

The Nebraska-based chain, which also does a substantial catalog and online sales business, operates a Web site called Cabela's Trophy Properties.

On Monday, the site listed no fewer than 35 Montana properties with asking prices above $1 million.

Some Montanans evidently are concerned that such high-profile marketing could run the price beyond the state's reach, and that an out-of-state buyer would be more likely to put the land off-limits to hunters and other recreationists.

We share those concerns — in general — but we can't fault Cabela's or any other land broker for connecting sellers with moneyed buyers.

There's always been out-of-state ownership of Montana properties. Some of those owners are good neighbors; some of them aren't.

We credit FWP with trying to educate new landowners about Montana's traditions of openness and conservation.

We're also glad the state now has a mechanism and some money to acquire such properties.

Perhaps folks concerned that the state will be outbid can raise money themselves to supplement the state's offer, if and when the state makes an offer.

27-Jun-07
While it may be true that these properties are going to be sold irregardless, it does not sit well with many sportmen that Cabela's has their hands out for sportmens dollars and then turning right around and playing the middleman and helping to sell off property that may once have been open to the public. Cabela's loss is going to be Bass Pro Shops gain. Where ever else I can take my business!

28-Jun-07
Ted Turner just bought another 28,000 acres of Nebraska. I assume that is now off limits to working people.

28-Jun-07
Well folks we asked for it. Back when I was young we had bumper stickers that said "Save Montana, shoot a land developer". People thought it was funny except the native Montanan who liked to hunt and fish. To us it was serious stuff. Maybe we should still think about such a season. Save MT by having a tax on our license and equipment to put these bastiches in court and tie up the selling of the land. Make it too expensive to sell off to the highest bidder that wants to privatize the hunting of our game and taking of our fish. Wild thought but an interesting one don't you think?

28-Jun-07
The way sportsmen are losing access these days its not too hard anymore to be able to relate to how the Native Americans must have felt during settlement.

02-Jul-07
Heard some good news today!! The company that bought the weaver ranch has been consulting with the RMEF to come up with covenants that are wildlife freindly. Don't have the details yet, but some of the lots will be affordable as well. I told the listing ajent to visit this thread, hope he will and provide some insight to the details.

08-Jul-07
Race, I think you are right about Cabela's wrong turn, but when you said "I do not think that hunters can blame Cabela's" I disagree. I do blame them, but I'm glad to hear that it was a corporate decision to pursue this line of business rather than the brothers choice. Bottom line for me is that they facillitated the sale of a ranch in the Breaks I have hunted in the past, and now it will be cut up and the public will be excluded. They are a major sponsor of the Elk Foundation's banquets by providing a wildlife print to every one and now they are competeing for the same lands that the RMEF is trying to preserve. I don't like the two-faced approach the company is pursuing. They won't get any more dollars from me!

19-Jul-07
Any new news on this??

19-Jul-07
The ranch is being broken into lots that range from 20 to 320 acres with the best elk habitat in the larger chunks. The smaller ones will be next to the major county roads that's all I know. Here's the website: http://www.montanalandandcamps.com

01-Aug-07
As a U. S. Marine who has been overseas or away from "my" state of Montana for 18 years, I have always had dreams of being able to eventually come back to the place where I was raised. I have had visions of taking my three children out for their first deer, elk, antelope, or pheasant as my father had done. Looks like such may be difficult. Just last week I was thinking about how well the clothing I bought from Cabelas, 15 years ago, was still holding up. I had even thought about writing them a letter praising such. They have just lost a customer. I will also do my best to educate fellow Marines, who rely on big mail order business for hunting/fishing gear since we are overseas a lot, to take there business elsewhere.

S/F,

Jagger8dogs

01-Aug-07
Gentlemen and Ladies,

Keep up the good fight,use your local, state and national representatives as much as possible to keep this from continuing. Join those associations who will help to fight Cabelas. As a resident of Missouri who has visited your great state I can tell you with no reservations that you don't want what is happening in my part of the country to happen in yours!! Keep Montana as wild and free as possible, I will do my part by writing Cabelas and getting rid of my Cabelas credit card and they will no longer receive my business if they continue on the path they have chosen.

06-Aug-07
Shortly after the article came out in the GF Tribune about the Lincoln property on the Marias River, I remember a point-counterpoint piece in the editorial section. One of Cabela's public relations people provided Cabela's side of the story on their real estate involvement. I found part of what he said quite chilling. Basically what it came down to is that Cabela's did not seem to feel it was relevant as to who the buyers of a piece of property were. By that I mean that it doesn't apparently bother Cabela's that the buyer is someone who wants to buy a piece of property as a getaway or as in the case of the Weaver Ranch, a developer who envisions turning property into ranchettes, condominiums, convenience stores and strip malls. That, in my view is what makes Cabela's real estate operation so insidious. Cabela's Trophy Property listing is like looking at a 5-star menu for developers.

15-Sep-07
I sent my cut-up Cabelas credit card back to Sidney, Neb. with a note asking them to take the knife out of my back. I thought at the time that they were buying land and then sub-dividing it, which was incorrect. They are "only" part of the land sales by allowing real estate agents to use the Cabelas name as a multiple listing service. I got a note back from the corporate office telling me where I was mistaken, and the letter included a "Open letter to MT sportsman" that they released in June, which basically says that the land is being sold anyhow, most of them don't allow access already, so why shouldn't they be part of it? The reason they shouldn't be part of it is that the land is being removed from future public hunting, or subdivided to the point that hunting there is a joke. A company that got rich by selling stuff to outdoorsmen owes a little bit of loyalty to those outdoorsmen, in my opinion. The bottom line is that Cabelas is profiting from these land sales, and unless you're a person of big cash, you won't be hunting on any of these places. Cabelas can keep their overpriced, imported crap.

16-Sep-07
I see that a piece of land at the lower end of fish creek west of Missoula is being offered as a "Cabelas Trophy Property" too.

05-Oct-07
Even if Cabela's hadn't been involved in the sale of the ranch it still would have been sold. At least with Cabela's someone that is a hunter owns the property and not someone from the city that has no idea how to manage the wildlife population.

06-Oct-07
Love that thought. Thats like saying at least my daughter was molested by someone that is rich. Come on!

06-Oct-07
Would you rather have PETA buy it?

06-Oct-07
The land is being locked up NO HUNTING, what is worse than that, and a company who made and is making money from people who hunt is selling out the very people who feed them. There are lots of people who I wouldn't want to see buy the property. I get a little hot when a company whom I've supported in the PAST is making it tougher on me for a place to hunt. I might not have ever huntrd some of those places, but now the guys who did are in my area, it displaces a lot of people and making it more crowed all over because of it.

08-Oct-07
My dad just recently told me something that got my attention. I was told the Chase Bank firm has 51% controlling interest in Cabela's. I guess that would certainly explain Cabela's move into real estate and what now seems a disconnect with the average sportsmen in the country. Unfortunately, in addition to not doing business with Cabela's any longer, it appears that I now need to pay off my balance on my RMEF credit card and close the account since that account is with Chase Bank.

09-Oct-07
pikeaholic - you should put this topic on the national site and get their opinions. I live in MN (we have 2-3 Cabelas) and I hadn't heard of it till browsing here.

If it is true, they have seen my last dollar.

09-Oct-07
Cabelas bought land in Billings, likely to open a new store there. How about a protest on grand opening day?

19-Oct-07
I'm sorry that the ranch by you guy's is being sold. But you all need to read what Littlewound wrote in this forum because he is exactly right. You cannot put the blame on Cabelas for the sale of that property. Does it suck, no question, but it was being sold with or without Cabelas period.

23-Oct-07
Bass That is like being in a bank being robbed and telling the guys you will help them out the back for $500 bucks. what the heck the bank was being robbed weather u helped or not. Yes the ranch was going to be sold, but for a company that is supposed to be on the sportsmans and wildlifes side they sure helped it along and made good money doing it.

24-Oct-07
Maybe all you folks have already checked, but go to Cabela's Home page and click on Trophy Properties and then the State of Montana. There are many properties listed... UFDA!!!!

14-Jan-08
Well, Cabela's did it again and again.

If you go to Cabela's home page and click Trophy Properties and then the State of Montana. They have two new and recent ranches advertised. Look at the one called Missouri River Breaks Ranch for $7.9 Million.

Here is part of the marketing for this property: "Wow! Missouri River Breaks Ranch consists of approximately 15,683 acres that is a combination of deeded (9,142 acres), BLM (5,901 acres), and state (640 acres) property, with the deeded ground completely surrounding the BLM and state parcels, CREATING A PRIVATE SANTUARY! Located in prime central Montana, about 40 minutes from Fort Benton, the Missouri River Breaks Ranch features 4 1/2 miles of frontage on the meandering Missouri River. Sitting just outside the small ranching community of Geraldine, this property is the picture of peace and solitude in a setting that cannot be duplicated." In other words . . . they are advertising that whomever buys the property can block public access and have access to public land exclusively.

They gave FWP lip-service when they told them they would not be marketing property through their website that would advertise or promote the taking away of access to hunters. Looks like they lied for the sake of the almighty dollar.

14-Jan-08
OH GEEZ, LET THIS DIE ALREADY!!!!! Cabelas has ABSOLUTELY NO CONTROL over who buys the property. Such control is considered Steering, and it is illegal. The sale is between the buyer and seller. The ONLY thing cabelas does is advertise, no different than any land magazine. Cabelas also cannot control what is put in the ad, that is the responsibility of the listing office which is Clearwater Realty.

I just looked at it, you are mistaken,it is listed like any listing that has state or BLM leases should be, they are shown as part of the property, as leases are transfered with real property. No where does it say anything about closing off existing public access to public lands. Looking at it on Cadastral, there are roads that go into the BLM, provided the roads are public, there is your access. another option: take a boat, you will have acess to all the public land in the listing (just KNOW where boundries are).

15-Jan-08
Your are right, Dan. But, Cabela's does not need to advertise "with the deeded ground completely surrounding the BLM and state parcels, CREATING A PRIVATE SANTUARY!". This is the very thing that is feeding the leasing of private property and the purchasing private property for your own "trophy" area.

Nothing like biteing the hand that feeds them. They could take the "high road" and have a "hands-off approach" to marketing property. I'll take my business to Big Bear, Scheels, Sportsman's Warehouse or locate sporting goods store. In the end they will be selling their products to a select few.

15-Jan-08
Where does it say "Creating a private sanctuary", I dont see it If you have a problem with how some thing is worded, tell Clearwater Realty. They are the ones wording it this way, not Cabelas. As far as high road, read their statement on the main page before you select a state. They have taken the high road as far as thay can. In fact I know of one office that was removed from the MT advertiser list about the time this thread was posted. I'm guessing it was an issue with how some properties were advertised.

With your approach you had better cancel all subscriptions to out doors magazines as most have a classified section that advertises properties. And dont forget your local news papers too! they are advertising these listings as well. The stores you mention have bulletin boards that I have seen similar properties posted for sale, I guess you'd better boycot them too!

15-Jan-08
Now that's interesting.

I just looked again today after reading ansci's reply, the phrase "Creating a private santuary" has been removed. Good for them. I copied the descirption from the website and pasted it as they wrote it.

Well, Dan, I will right an e-mail or letter to Clearwater Realty today. You are correct, they and many others are held in the same regard. They are promoting, through marketing, privatization of wildlife and the exclusion of residents.

15-Jan-08
I looked at the site and that road will be closed not long after the sale has been made.

Ansci-"The ONLY thing cabelas does is advertise, no different than any land magazine." -the difference is other advertisers are not trying to sell me things to hunt with.

JMG- you are mad at the wrong people. You should be mad at your government, that is allowing this to happen. Write your congressman let him know what is happening, and if he does not want to do anything fire him.

17-Jan-08
Tony Dean Outdoors Issues Bill Schneider on Cabela's land marketing scheme

By Bill Schneider, 11-22-07

It has taken Cabela’s a long time to move into Montana, but now that iconic retailer of hunting and fishing goods finally has a stake in the sand down in Billings, it might be wondering if it was the right decision.

Cabela’s has become accustomed to being revered by hunters and anglers, but in Montana, many sportsmen and women now have the opposite attitude, disdain--and they’re sending back their catalogs with promises never to spend another penny there. When opening a new store, Cabela’s expects the local hunters and anglers who have lusted for years to have a store nearby to more or less knell on the doorstep, but if Cabela’s doesn’t stop endorsing the loss of public hunting, the corporate VIPs might see people picketing the Billings store opening with anti-Cabela’s placards.

Here’s the rub. Back in June 2004, Cabela’s went public and is now listed on the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol CAB. Such initial public offerings are always accompanied by plans on how to use all the new money for aggressive growth. And sure enough, Cabela’s launched into a major expansion, which primarily involving more and faster store openings.

No problem so far, the more and faster the better as far as I’m concerned, but a small part of that growth plan, a real estate marketing division called Cabela’s Trophy Properties might hurt Cabela’s bottom line and stock performance (already down to about half of its opening price) more than it helps. In Montana, the ruckus over the real estate division has already tarnished the best brand in the business, and it looks like it could get much worse and spread to other states.

I personally don’t want to see this happen because I’m one of those who grew up revering Cabela’s. I’d probably live in a Cabela’s store if they’d let me--at least for a few days until I had to leave to file for bankruptcy. And I bet the company’s brass and shareholders want to prevent damage to their brand even more than I do. If so, they need to act quickly and decisively instead of doing what they’re doing right now, which is seriously underestimating the potential of the problem.

The controversy erupted when Cabela’s Trophy Properties opened an office in Montana and started listing what the Montana Wildlife Federation (MWF), the state’s largest group of hunters and anglers, calls “traditional public hunting properties.” Those listings shot up a warning flare to the MWF’s 7,000 members, and the result was a strongly worded letter from executive director Craig Sharpe going to Dennis Highby, president & CEO of Cabela’s. In the letter, Sharpe warned of a “strong response” to the real estate marketing, such as mailing back or burning catalogs, unless Cabela’s addressed the group’s concerns and agreed to a meeting to discuss the issues.

A flash point in the controversy was the sale, planned subdivision and eventual closure to public hunting of two large ranches in central Montana by Cabela’s Trophy Properties. “Is this in line with Cabela’s mission?” Sharpe asked in his letter.

Following Sharpe’s letter and several others sent to Cabela’s by MWF members, two of Montana’s premier outdoor writers, Mike Babcock at the Great Falls Tribune and Mark Henckel of the Billings Gazette wrote detailed articles on the debate. Neither article painted a rosy picture of Cabela’s real estate deals and ended up turning up the heat another notch.

Then, and typical of large corporations that don’t really understand damage control, Cabela’s managed to make it worse with its responses. First, Cabela’s spokesperson David Draper implied that this was no big deal and told Montana hunters they shouldn’t fret because the properties were selling to sportsmen who are “probably going to make the land better,” a bonehead statement that Sharpe called “insulting.”

Throwing more gas on the fire was the corporate response that, in essence, tried to dodge the bullet by saying we aren’t really in the real estate business, just the real estate marketing business.

Here’s how that works. Cabela’s doesn’t actually buy and sell land, Instead, it licenses its brand to local real estate brokers and allows them to market prime hunting and fishing properties under the banner of Cabela’s Trophy Properties. The brokers pay Cabela’s for the license, probably with a license fee and a slice of the commission on property sales.

Cabela’s third response was the old “can’t we just get along” comeback, which was in the form of an invitation for the MWF board to an exclusive VIP reception at the Billings store opening and agreeing to send out a packet of information to buyers of “trophy properties” suggesting they do good things for wildlife.

Well, we all hope buyers do good things like leave land open to public hunting and file for a conservation easement preventing future subdivision and that the board members has a jolly time at the reception, but that response doesn’t address what concerns Montana hunters i.e. Cabela’s promoting the loss of public hunting. In fact, the tokenism worsened the problem.

Sorry, Cabela’s, these responses get zero traction. Licensing your name to realtors who use it to market property definitely makes you part of the real estate biz--and not just any real estate biz, but the worst kind.

I doubt anybody has a problem with Cabela’s buying 44 acres down on the edge of Billings and then selling off a chuck or two to Burger King or Day’s Inn. But using a nation’s top hunting and fishing brand to promote the sale, subdivision and closure to public access of prime hunting land is quite a different real estate deal. It is, in fact, exactly opposite of everything Cabela’s stands for, and you’d think the company would be trying to distance itself as far and as fast as possible from it.

Earth to Cabela’s. You’re using your brand to promote the loss of public hunting on private land in large sections of Montana and other sates. This could destroy your brand, and you really don’t want to do this.

Getting out of real estate can’t be that tough a decision for a company with $2 billion in sales, very little of it from real estate marketing. I perused the annual report and couldn’t even find the words “Cabela’s Trophy Properties,” let alone anything about the millions Cabela’s makes in license fees and commissions--because, of course, this is probably a microscopic part of the giant’s revenue.

It has potential, though--potential to cost Cabela’s fifty dollars in retail sales for every dollar earned in license fee income.

So, I hope President & CEO Highby sees this column, recognizes the real estate division as a major (but still correctable) mistake, and decides get out of the real estate business faster than he can say it.

If you’d like to support me in encouraging, Cabela’s to rapidly get back on course, here’s a couple of phone numbers that might work, 308-254-5505 and 1-800-237-4444, or you can go to the customer service email page and send your comments in writing. In the meantime, until we get a better response, keep sending those catalogs back. Cabela’s definitely understands what that means.

And we have this response from Chuck Clayton of Huron...

To the management of Cabela’s;

I have heard of your “real estate” division in your catalog offers. I am very disappointed you are involved in this venture. You are sealing the fate of hunters who can’t afford your fees for hunting, and will no longer buy your merchandise. If the land sold under your name becomes private and not open to anyone to hunt, that is even worse.

Family hunters and fishermen have been your bread and butter for many years. Do you really want to be part of the demise of our new recruits to the sports of hunting and fishing ------ the people that buy your products??

You should rethink your participation in real estate development. You should withdraw from “Cabelas Trophy Properties”, and anything that resembles that sort of thing if you want people like me to keep buying from you.

Chuck Clayton Past President Izaak Walton League of America, South Dakota Wildlife Federation

Pl;us another from Jeff Albrecht...

Chuck, Good response to this article. Several years ago Chuck Rokusek had mentioned at a SDWF meeting that he had lost hunting access because of Cabela's leasing property to sell hunts. I sent an email to Cabela's via their website. I told them of the concern. Cabela's response was they would forward the comments to their Board of Directors. I was immediately removed from their email listing and that was the last I heard.

You are exactly right, Joe six pack has been Cabela's bread and butter for many years and now it appears that Cabela's could care less. If memory serves me Cabela's all ready operates this real estate business in the Black Hills of SD and has for sometime now. Perhaps folks need to bombard Cabela's website with comments. Seems like this work a few years ago when WalMart was going to discontinue firearm and shell sales because these items were not leaving a good impression on the general public. Carry on!!! Jeff M. Albrecht Brookings, SD

18-Jan-08
I just sent the following to Mr. Mike Callahan, Senior Vice President, Cabela's:

I’ve been aware of your “Trophy Properties” program for several months now, ever since the fiasco with the sale of the Weaver Ranch. After continued research through your website, news reports and discussions with other sportsmen and women, I remain but with one conclusion; Cabela’s is putting short-term profits ahead of relations with the very individuals who support long-term company sales.

Even through I understand you don’t directly sell these properties and you have recently “promised” to tighten the restrictions on the sale of properties under your licensing agreements, your participation in real estate development is hurting the very family sportsmen, women and children who buy your products. Apparently, the value of a few, wealthy individuals is more important to Cabela’s than the common sportspersons who have been your bread-n-butter.

As a longtime customer of both your catalog sales and credit card program, I’ve taken a wait-n-see attitude; hoping Cabela’s would wake-up and realize how detrimental their Trophy Properties program is to the hunting and fishing community. Cabela’s dogged pursuit of this program has already changed my buying habits; I no longer look to Cabela’s as my provider of choice.

So far, I’ve seen little progress. I’m willing to wait a little longer before I eliminate Cabela’s as a company I use, but time has all but run out.

When you say, "So, who would you rather have selling the land, us or them?” -- Mike Callahan (Tony Dean Outdoors, 12/04/2007), my response is – “Given Calela’s track record so far, Mr. Callahan, not you!”

Robin H. Trenbeath

We'll see if I get a canned response or what.

RobinHood.........

22-Jan-08
"OH GEEZ, LET THIS DIE ALREADY!!!!!" What do you do for a living, ansci?

Nice letter, Robin.

22-Jan-08
Cabela’s gives FWP $50,000 By EVE BYRON - Independent Record - 01/18/08 Fish, Wildlife and Parks Commission members cautiously accepted a $50,000 check Thursday from Cabela’s, as the outdoor retailing giant tried to smooth ruffled feathers over its listing of “trophy” properties for sale in Montana.

It’s the latest move in a flap that began in the summer, when some Montana Wildlife Federation members sent back their Cabela’s catalogs and called for a boycott because they believe the Nebraska-based company is involved in selling key wildlife habitat and properties that are subsequently being closed to hunters and anglers.

The action came after Cabela’s started its Trophy Properties Web site, which showcases high-end recreational parcels for sale or lease around the globe.

Some of the properties touted their exclusive access to public lands — a bone of contention among Montanans being gated off from traditional hunting or fishing grounds.

Other lands were marketed as being ripe for subdivisions.

Recently, Cabela’s changed its marketing approach and is now committed to promoting access and educating potential buyers about access issues, Mike Callahan, Cabela’s senior vice president, told the commission before presenting the check.

The company also will drop references to subdivisions, he said.

Callahan added that the company will donate $12,000 each year for the next five years to FWP, with the only stipulation that the money be used for public access programs in Montana.

Commission member Shane Colton worried that accepting the money might look like Cabela’s “came in and bought the commission off,” and said Montanans felt betrayed by Cabela’s.

“We thought you were one of us when it came to access issues, then we see the properties you’re marketing as exclusive and private access to public lands,” Colton said.

But he noted the money wasn’t solicited, and Cabela’s future actions will be closely watched by Montanans.

“Cabela’s understands the public and commission will scrutinize their representations and follow through regardless of the money,” Colton said after the meeting. “It’s a nice gesture and appreciated, but it will not change our scrutiny.”

Commission Chairman Steve Doherty added that FWP accepts donations all the time from organizations, and the money often can be used as matching funds for government grants.

“You don’t look a gift horse in the mouth,” Doherty said.

Cabela’s new attitude came about after high-level executives “broke away during one of our busiest times of year” to fly to Montana in December and discuss concerns with MWF and FWP representatives, Callahan said.

They also talked about the state’s block management program, in which farmers and ranchers are paid by FWP to provide free public access to hunters.

“We came away impressed and appreciative of how well the program is managed,” said Callahan, who noted that he grew up in Red Lodge and attended a three-room school near Big Fork.

“It became clear to us that Montana’s public access program and block management should be the model for public access planning nationwide, and we would like to promote that on our trophy property Web site.”

He then offered the check, calling it a “gesture of good faith and good will, and with the intent of becoming a contributing member of the business community, and an advocate and supporter of sportsmen and women in Montana.”

Cabela’s is opening its only Montana store in Billings later this year.

Chris Marchion, MWF board president, said they were frustrated by the initial dialogue with Cabela’s, but it has evolved into “frank and sincere” discussions.

“One thing this has done is shone a really bright spotlight on the commercialization and privatization of hunting opportunities in Montana,” Marchion said. “They’re not going to resolve the issue for us … but I commend them for the direction in which they’re heading.”

MWF member Bill Schneider, who’s been active in the Cabela’s dispute, said he thinks the “jury is still out” over Cabela’s real estate activities, and that with hundreds of brokers and thousands of real estate agents working on sales, Cabela’s will have little control over access or subdivision issues.

And while he thinks Cabela’s was surprised by, and is taking very seriously, the outcry over its real estate practices, he thinks the issue is far from over.

“People are just waiting to see if they walk the talk,” Schneider said. “Cabela’s is flirting with disaster here, in my opinion. This could easily move to other states and cause a major revolt.”

22-Jan-08
I am a residential real estate agent, no, I don't work with Cabelas. Just trying to bring a different point of view.

22-Jan-08
Make no mistake Cabela's wants something for their donation, It would be better to not accept it under these circumstances,

22-Jan-08
"less places to hunt" Race what a great attitude. Do you only hunt in Wisconsin?

22-Jan-08
I image not with land value going up.

22-Jan-08
Race, Out of curiosity, do you allow hunting on your land holdings? If so, what are the policies? Do you allow access to the occasional resident who might drive up and ask for permission to hunt? Why or why not? Thanks in advance.

Dunner

24-Jan-08
I just received this copy of a letter which was forwarded to me from an individual who just recently contacted Cabela's. I'm not going to say its not a step in the right direction, but I remain unpersuaded. I'm afraid the damage is already done in regards to my respect for Cabela's.

From: Cabela's Communications Sent: Wednesday, January 23, 2008 12:16 PM

Thank you for your e-mail regarding Cabela’s Trophy Properties. It's Cabela's intention to be good corporate citizens and partners with sportsmen to advance the issue of access to private and public lands. Cabela’s has long been at the forefront of conservation and sportsmen’s advocacy issues. Over the years, we have donated tens of millions of dollars to protecting the sporting heritage and we plan to continue that tradition.

Thanks to feedback from customers such as you, we’ve refined the Cabela’s Trophy Properties business model to more closely align it with our commitment to the outdoor sports. We believe we can be a positive force in educating new and potential landowners about the benefits of public access and stewardship of wildlife. It’s our hope Cabela’s Trophy Properties will be a model for recreational property sales and land-access initiatives across the U.S.

Cabela’s Trophy Properties will not advertise or market property listings currently enrolled in public access programs or that have been enrolled in a program in the past 12 months, unless the seller agrees as a condition of sale that the buyer will keep the property enrolled in a public access program. All Cabela’s Trophy Properties affiliates are required to follow Cabela’s policies with regard to explanation, education, information and understanding of conservation easements, habitat enhancement, public access programs and good stewardship.

We are also working to educate affiliated real estate brokers in our program as to the issues facing sportsmen and landowners. Cabela’s is diligent and unwavering in our insistence on adherence to our policies. Rest assured we are closely monitoring properties featured on the Trophy Properties Web site and brokers' activities supporting our policies and programs.

We agree that one of the greatest threats to the sporting tradition is the loss of access to quality hunting and fishing, particularly the availability of hunting and fishing opportunities on private lands. Cabela’s understands this concern and offers its support to efforts to open more acres to hunters, anglers and outdoor enthusiasts.

We appreciate your concern on this matter, and we share it. Through your efforts, and the efforts of all concerned sportsmen and women, we can help educate the public and advance the issues that affect us all.

Cabela's Communications

25-Jan-08
See my letter to Calela's posted 18-Jan-08 above. I sent it directly to their Senior VP, Mike Callahan (who is suppose to have grown-up in Montana) and got the very same 'canned response' letter as the above post. Doesn't do a lot to stengthen my confidence in them if they can't even take time to personalize the message.

All I hear is we'll publicly do enough to fix our image, but we're making too much money at this to change the business model.

RobinHood..........

31-Jan-08
Hello guys, my heart goes out to Montana bowhunters&sportsman. I support and understand your disdain towards Cabelas. We have a lot in common. Our director of Wildlife and Parks is so deep under the sheets with Cabelas that Iam surprised he can breath. Cabelas has great influence upon Kansas politics and Hunting and fishing regulations and has been guiding the policies for the last few years. IT COULD BE WORSE??? OH YES. Mike Hayden, who is the director of KDWP has a brother. Who just happens to run the Cabelas Trohpy Properties in Kansas. Sounds completely crazy does it not. Cabelas will not only limit your hunting oportunities it will bring graft and corruption into your wildlife departments like you could never believe. Cabelas,, fight them hard,,real hard.

31-Jan-08
http://www.billingsgazette.net/articles/2008/01/31/news/local/17-nocabelas.txt

• Sitka Gear