psefamilyman 28-Feb-08
Fulldraw 29-Feb-08
Genesis 01-Mar-08
Acebow 01-Mar-08
Quinn @work 03-Mar-08
KSArcher 04-Mar-08
KSArcher 05-Mar-08
27-Feb-08
My 12 year old niece wants to hunt deer in KS but can only pull 40# at this time.

The way I read the regs for KS there isn't a minumum draw weight for bowhunting deer only that the arrow has to be +20" in length. I will call Pratt in the am but is this correct?

Quinn

27-Feb-08
I think the rule is the bow has to be able to shoot an arrow 200 feet but I could be wrong

27-Feb-08
I think the rule is the bow has to be able to shoot an arrow 200 feet but I could be wrong

27-Feb-08
You are correct in no minimum draw weight. It used to be 45# but was eliminated several years ago. I never heard of an arrow having to fly 200' Is that with a tail wind or on a calm day. I wouldn't mind asking a NRO to verify my bow would shoot that far:) Save him from doing more important things like educating the public or catching poachers.

27-Feb-08
Thanks LW. I always thought 45# should be the ethical weight for deer but couldn't find it listed in the KS regs. She should be able to pull 5 more pounds by 11/20/08.

4ks, thanks for the info. I took her out to see if she could do it. 1st shot she was able to shoot at least 200 yards in all directions. Only problem was her arrow landed on outfitter leased property? They denied accees to get the arrows back?

We really got ourselves in trouble when she shot a cougar on an expired 2007 landowner transfer deer tag in the wrong unit on leased property. My lawyer was able to get her out of that one by being able to prove that the outfitter was intentionally illegally advertising a B&C buck behind every tree.

28-Feb-08
I don't know about what others think, but I don't believe pushing her to get to 45# is something I would be concerned about. A properly tuned bow that launches an arrow that flies straight combined with a razor sharp broadhead ought to have no problem passing through the boiler room of a whitetail standing near broadside within a reasonable yardage. I'll take the ability to put the arrow on its mark over excess kinetic energy every time. Good luck to both of you!

28-Feb-08
I agree with you LW, I think a bow set at 30# or 35# and the ability to put an arrow where you want it would be a lot better than a bow at 45# and shaky! My wife bow hunts with me and she doesn't show a 45# bow, and she kills just as many deer as I do with my 70# bow!

28-Feb-08
i shot a doe with a 45 pound recurve this year, the main thing is sharp broadheads and shot placement

29-Feb-08
Sharp broad head and accuracy......the new bows have more KE at 30lbs than the bow of 20 years ago did at 50lbs.

Good huntin'

01-Mar-08
Ditto everyone here.Weight limit lifted

01-Mar-08
I wanted to put in my $.02 here, but everybody else said what I was gonna. Most modern 30-35# bows have plenty of energy available to ethically hunt deer, especially with a medium-to-heavy arrow tipped with cut-on-contact broadheads. Straight broadside shots at relatively close range (not over 25 yards? maybe 20?), good placement, and just hope he runs toward the truck. Don't know what you're equipping her with, but I really like the Browning Micro Adrenaline. As I recall, models come in 40 and 50# peak weight. Feed it Gold Tip 3555 arrows, tipped with two-blade Stingers, and yee-haw! I'm thinking about just that rig for myself, if I have to drop to 50# compounds due to a bad shoulder. Keep us posted on her progress, and we want pictures. Acebow

03-Mar-08
Thanks for all the good info guys. It's appreciated.

Between a couple well placed blinds and a 2 person ladder stand we should be able to get her that nice close broadside shot.

Kansas seems to be kid friendly when it comes to hunting. It's nice to see that Kansas has done away with that draw weight requirement and the minimum age requirements. I wish CO would do the same.

Thanks,

Quinn

04-Mar-08
My wife hunts at 40# of draw weight and blows through most every deer she hits. Use a heavy arrow shaft. I have her using a carbon shaft that is 9.9 grains per inch. With Blazer vanes and a 100 grain two bladed Magnus Stinger, it is a very deadly combination. The heavy shaft with a two blade cut to tip broadhead will serve your son well. As always, proper shot placement is the key, so have him practice until YOU and he are comfortable with his shooting abilities.

KSArcher~~~

05-Mar-08
Quinn:

Sorry about referring to your niece as "him"....however my archery advice stands :-)

KSArcher~~~

• Sitka Gear