Shaft2Long 02-Jul-08
tradi-doerr 04-Jul-08
txhunter58 04-Jul-08
bwanajames 06-Jul-08
txhunter58 06-Jul-08
WilliamMorrison 16-Feb-22
Stix 17-Feb-22
01-Jul-08
Was looking at another thread in the main section on Colorado. A guy in that thread said that CO. division of wildlife put out maps showing where elk are habitually found in different units of Co. It was a tool to give non res and others a general area to look when out hunting.

The individual has seen these maps and said they were very accurate in their info, yet didn't know where to get them. I can't find anything about them on the Co. website.

Anybody else ever hear of these maps and know where to get them?

01-Jul-08
Copy and paste: http://ndis.nrel.colostate.edu/ This should take you where you want to go. Good Luck

02-Jul-08
Thank you.

04-Jul-08
you can also go to the CDOW web site and look it up under biggame interactive maps.

04-Jul-08
Here is a quick link as well. Put in your unit and then click on game maps. Pretty good for general info, but doesn't really tell you which drainages or mountains to concentrate on

http://wildlife.state.co.us/Hunting/GMUnitMaps.htm

06-Jul-08
These maps, while they may be helpful to some, are something of a double-edged sword. If the DOW publishes elk densities for all to see with no more effort than a mouse-click, guess what will happen? Well, naturally, hunters will gravitate to that spot. Then, along comes the DOW survey and the inevitable question: "Did you experience overcrowding of sportsmen on your hunt?" Of course, now that the hunters are concentrated, many will answer "yes". What will be the DOW's reaction? Too much crowding - we'd better make that OTC unit draw, or cut back on the tags in an area that is already draw. The end result is less opportunity from a situation the DOW created! Now I'm not a DOW basher. They have afterall done a great many positive things. But while publishing handy game densities maps may at first appear helpful, they may ultimately hurt us...

Jim

06-Jul-08
I have yet to see any of this data that gives you more than a general game area in a very broad sense. I have not seen an instance where it helps you determine a specific area in a specific drainage where to find elk. So I don't really see how it is going to make areas too crowded. The only time it might really help in specifics is on migration routes. And when it snow in the high country, if you are sitting on a drainage coming down form the high country, you should see game!

11-Jul-08
These maps have been available for years. I have found that every place I have been into elk....that spot was also on the map. There are lots of previous threads on this topic.

16-Feb-22
Hey!! Thanks a lot. Despite the fact that this topic is outdated, but this information was very useful.

17-Feb-22

• Sitka Gear