JD 15-Sep-09
lame crowndip 07-Nov-10
luv2bowhuntwi 07-Nov-10
live2hunt 07-Nov-10
Bloodtrail 07-Nov-10
12-Sep-08

lame crowndip's embedded Photo
Every year I build some stuff for my hunting addiction. It seems that the more I put into it the more I get out of it. I take some steel tubing (square), some chain and some bolts and expanded steel and build my own stands. I did this one yesterday while it was raining. I made two hard cases for my Double Bull blinds to help keep them scent-free and mouse proof. I take some cheap tree steps and convert them into bow hangers. I also do my own crowndips for the arrows. I've done the dip since the mid eighties. Are they any better than anyone else's? No but they are mine and different from most. What do you build??? LC

12-Sep-08
Dennis - what do you use to bend your tubing?

12-Sep-08

Why not take a cheap tree step apart and have your own custom bow hanger???

12-Sep-08

Two hard cases built for Double-Bull blinds. These were made from lightweight PVC from a HVAC supply.

12-Sep-08

This is my own pattern that I've developed over the years to maximize the visibility of an arrow in the air. I guess that I'm pretty easily bored.

12-Sep-08

We had an earlier thread about storage of hunting clothing. I got rather tired of using many plastic tubs and so forth so one winter I framed up a walk-in closet in the basement. I framed the thing up, wired it, did the sheetrock and painted and carpeted it. I hit the thing for about three days with a fan, then used scent killer and some scent wafers and have stored my clothing ever since and have not had any problems finding things.

12-Sep-08
Luv-I have a homemade bending jig that is made from a couple of pieces of steel and some industrial strength washers. Simple but it works. It is suprising what you can build with a chop saw and a wire-feed welder. I think that you can build things at least as well as you can buy-especially since a lot of stands are being made in China now. If you look in the picture you'll see that there are turnbuckles in the platform supports. They are really handy for raising or lowering the platform a couple of inches. Makes the thing much more comfortable. I do some scrounging for a lot of my materials and I priced out ( a few years ago)the stands that I make for my own use at about fifteen dollars apiece. If you factor in the time I could buy the things but where is the fun in that???

12-Sep-08
Lame, Your stand looks like the old Screaming Eagle.

12-Sep-08
LOL....Now if you ever get a deer with that bow, and while wearing that gilly.....i would be in awe.

If it were me.....I'd release the arrow and the gilly would jump off my body as the string got wrapped in it. I'd be there in my skibbies looking pretty funny holding a bow with the suit attached to it. lol

12-Sep-08

Rustywreck's embedded Photo
so far this all i have built for the fall - a chicken coop. curtains and pictures aren't up yet, so it looks kind of plain inside.

I still have hope to get a new out house started.

12-Sep-08
hey, you gotta take care of your girls if you want them to put out.

12-Sep-08
Davy C-I am guilty of making ALMOST a copy. I've changed the dimensions a little and have turnbuckles on all of the platform supports. Good eye-LC

12-Sep-08
I hope that more folks will contribute to this thread. I enjoy making stuff for hunting-even if I can buy it for the same money. Thanks Rancid...

09-Jan-09
TTT

09-Jan-09
Those are the best treestands I have ever used Crowndip. Rock solid once you get them set in the tree and locked in. Me and a couple buddies made the exact same stands a few years ago. We had an assembly line set up and we could pump out a dozen stands in a couple days. Great thread.

09-Jan-09
I agree. A few years back some guys I knew worked as welders (I won't say where). They would take the scrap pieces of 3/4" square tubing and make stands like the Screamin Eagle units. I bought one from them and they are one of they best stands ever built. Screamin' Eagle were the ones that had ads in the magazines where the hung a VW Beetle from the stand. But that's not why I like them. Once you get that stand "set" to the tree, it didn't sqeak, squak, shift or make ANY noise....regardless of the temp!

RC, you one talented SOB!

Good work!

10-Jan-09
Looks like some folks here, including myself may be real interested if you would do a play by play on the materials, sizes and put together of the next one you do LC. pics of course..

10-Jan-09
Vascar and NovemberMadman-I think you guys are right. All of my other stands seem rather "pale" in comparison to the ones that I have made based on the original design by Paul Brunner. I believe that he was the first guy to have a seat that was high enough to quickly, quietly and easily stand up from a sitting position. I have a bunch and will probably make a couple more this late winter/early spring. I usually make them then as the temps are nice and you can hang the new stand (with its new paint job) in a nearby tree to air out and lose some of the manufacturing "scent". Winter is a GREAT time to do things other than fishing and indoor shooting (although those are great). Take the time to take a welding class at a votech or other and budget the cash for a Hobart or similar wire feed. Once you make your own stuff you'll not look back. Just take all the needed precautions to stay safe. One other gizmo that is rather handy to make is a 1/4 inch metal rod (about 6 inches long) that you weld the sharp thread section from a quality tree step to one end and a 3 inch section of rod to the other end to form a "T". You can screw this into the tree where the stand is going to hang, pull the stand up and hang it on the rod until you get the chain attached. I have tried others but always go back to my homemade stuff. I tried one of the GanderMtn "Basic" stands and I REALLY do not like it. The "snap" is hard to release (especially in the cold) and the seat is about four inches low. I only use the thing in places that I think that there is a chance that it will get stolen. So take a chance, take a class if you do not know how to weld and buy (or borrow) a welder and do your own thing. It will surely be less than the cost of a new bow and when we really boil the thing down, How much "stuff" and Hi-speed do we really need to shoot a whitetail in the chest at twenty yards???

10-Jan-09
I found a copy of the old picture that showed a VW "bug" hanging from the front of one of Brunner's stands (a "Screaming Eagle"-death from above). That stuff brings back memories-has it been improved upon? Not real sure. One other thing you can accomplish is sort of a paint job on your stand's chains and other things you use. Buy cans of the rubber dip from Fleet Farm or some such and thin it about 50% with lacquer thinner. Dip stuff with a few coats and you have a durable, drab and QUIET coating that will last for a long time. I have been buying screw in hooks from the hardware department and giving them a rubber dip. They are a better (IMO) choice than the "Archery" hangers that sell for two bucks or so and two bucks will usually result in six of the ones that I use. Is this kind of stuff for everyone-I think not but it is what I'll choose....But do not mess with safety-Have someone that knows welding examine your first few stands and test them thoroughly a foot off the ground before you hang them 18 fet off the ground...

10-Jan-09
Yep, that was the advertisement (hanging VW bug) that got my attention. We started building them after I bought a couple of them and we kind of tweaked things here and there. I don't think you can really improve them much other than making the platform a little bigger or the seat a little more padded. I had 15 of these stands at one time but have since had a couple stolen by some lowlife. These are the only treestands I use and they have never let me down, no squeeks or popping metal in the cold. Dipping the chains in the rubber dip is a must for quietness and the rust factor.

10-Jan-09
What or where and how do you do the rachet straps? do you use two ratchet straps?

10-Jan-09
If you have the stand hanging by U.S. made chain what in the world would you want a ratchet strap for??? Cannot figure it out unless you are are referring to a different post...

10-Jan-09
Rancid,

How much would you sell me one of those quivers for?

11-Jan-09
"If you have the stand hanging by U.S. made chain what in the world would you want a ratchet strap for???"

LC, because with every single hang on i have ever used or seen....i can make the bottom "kick out" if i put enough weight off to one side of the platform.

I like double ratchet strap designs, or one chain (top) and a rachet on the bottom for 100% pressured contact with the tree, and the inability to have them come out from under you.

11-Jan-09
Serb-It unfortunate that you've never used this design. You simply CANNOT make the bottom "kick out" as you put it. The more weight you put on this design the more stable it becomes, no matter what side or front or back the weight comes from. I do not think think it could be more secure to the tree if you attached it with 4 inch lag screws. You really have to use this design to really appreciate it. I hope that your ratchet straps give you the security that you desire, but the U.S. made chain gives me all the security that I ever need. Ask some of the guys that have ever used this design. Paul Brunner's design was a stroke of genius....

11-Jan-09
LC, where can I get the plans for this stand?

11-Jan-09
Gunny-I never found any plans as such. I was able to borrow a stand from a friend and use the basic design and make modifications to suit my needs. Before Paul's design, most if not all, of the available stands either had no seat or the seat was SO low that it was extremely difficult to stand up. Believe it or not the seat height that I favor is about 22 1/2 inches. This height allows me pretty much to straighten my knees and I'm standing. The long frame between the seat and the platform puts any downward pressure into the tree in such a manner that the stand becomes much more stable. PM me if I can help further....

12-Jan-09
Rancid, what procedure do you use to cut those feathers for fletching? I have always wanted to make my own fleaching out of the wild feathers, but when I cut them, they just don't seem right.

12-Jan-09
Thanks Ron. Dummy me, I didn't think of using the fleatching clamp to hold the feather.

12-Jan-09
Serb, Like LC says you can't make the bottom kick out on these stands. The other great thing is if you build them yourself you can make the rails going from the platform to the seat as long as you want. If you have longer legs than make the rails longer so you are comfortable in a sitting position. I have pulled myself up onto these stands from about every different angle and not once have they ever shifted on me as long as the stand was "set" solidly in the tree.

12-Jan-09
I've also had stands that "set" so well during the season that I had to take a piece of limb and bump the bottom of the frame to get the thing loose from the tree...

27-Jan-09
This IS NOT building anything but now is the time to "gather" scent for next fall. It started with me in the late eighties when one of the local archery shops started selling bulk doe urine for a dollar an ounce. All fall I was pondering what I could do to be able to use the stuff real cheap. That January I was out and about and I finally took appropriate notice of the dreaded "yellow snow". Ever since then I have gone out with a trowel and a five-gallon bucket that have a singular purpose. I gather enough of the snow-laden snow to make a couple gallons of urine. The best time to get urine is when there is a cold snap and the days finally warm up to single digits. You'll find the stuff is pretty concentrated. Get a bucket full and set it in the basement overnight. Pour the stuff through a strainer and then into a new plastic gallon jug. Discard the ice, sticks and leaves. You'll get about half urnine and half waste. The urine will leave the snow/ice first because of the salts and uric acids. I set the stuff into the garage and let it freeze. I then wrap the stuff in two or three garbage bags and store it in an out of the way place in the freezer until the next fall. I hav never had a poor reaction to the stuff and have used it for a couple of decades. If you REALLY want to juice the stuff up-PM me and I'll tell you.

28-Jan-09
I have plans this spring/summer to make a hunting 'tower' of sorts that we can load in and out of my utility trailer for late season deer and coyote hunting. Still in the rough planning designs. Have a question I'll pose here before I ask a more authoritative person - if I build it on skids so that I can simply winch it in and out of the trailer to move it is that cosher with the regulations? I know we can't leave it in the trailer (unless we took the wheels off which im not gunna so) but wasn't sure if skids also fall in the 'mobile' category.

28-Aug-09
I'm just finishing up building a 20' ladder stand. I know that you can buy the chinese-made ones for about a hundred bucks or so but I like to do my own. Anyone else building stuff? I cannot believe that everyone just buys what they perceive that they need. I build two or three new stands every year and I guess it is no wonder that my shed is cluttered with stands hanging from the rafters...

28-Aug-09

formerbutcher's embedded Photo
Here you go LC, I just finshed this one up. 62" 52# @ 28" eastern Redcedar. My hunting bow for this year.

28-Aug-09

28-Aug-09

28-Aug-09

28-Aug-09

28-Aug-09
Thanks Ron !

28-Aug-09
I will get some pics soon,I too build a lock on I'd love to show you guys.I think it works sweet and it also is one of the most solid and quiet stands I've used.Although it dosen't have a seat.Check back if interested.G.W.

28-Aug-09
Wonderful job on the longbow and I'd sure love to see the pics of your treestand. Let's get these ideas going-these turn out to be great US made things and I've found that the more I put into it the more I get out of it!!!

28-Aug-09
Love the snake skin. Nice bow.

29-Aug-09
Show me state = serb. lol

I just want you to wear it while shooting the WBH broadhead course...lol....Target panic WILL be the last of your worries....rotflmao

I'll have to refrain from smoking around you , for the fear of setting you on fire!!!!

31-Aug-09

Two Shot's embedded Photo
Fresh batch of tree stands, ready to go....

31-Aug-09

Home Made Camo.....

31-Aug-09

The older I get the more time I'm spending hunting on the ground. Here's my blind chair. Provides back drop and side cover. Sets up in seconds and with a little "brushing in", blends in very well. The big key is haveng an outer layer of camo sewn out of the same material as the blind is made of. For the most part, I'm invisible.....

31-Aug-09

I've made a number of tarp tents out of Menards tarps and my trust P22 stapeler. Double stapled, it's as strong or stronger than any tent made. Cost about $12 bucks. Picture is of a fishing/camping trip on the Turtle Flambeau Flowage this summer. There's Venison Backstrap cooking on the fire there.

31-Aug-09

My hunting cabin in Northern Wi. One Man build. Most fun hunting accessory I've ever built.....

Outside...

31-Aug-09

inside.....

31-Aug-09

One more...

31-Aug-09
that's bigger than my house.

03-Sep-09

canyonyoddler's embedded Photo
A new shack for my Dad.

03-Sep-09

03-Sep-09

03-Sep-09
25'6 to the platform. I was telling my dad in a few years we'll have to rig an electric hoist to get him up there.

03-Sep-09

PoorPoorRich's embedded Photo
PoorPoorRich's embedded Photo
A friend and I just finished this elevated stand on the edge of one of my corn fields. I'm looking forward to using it.

04-Sep-09

vmthtr's Link
I made some of these lighted nocks.

04-Sep-09

SERBIANSHARK's embedded Photo
SERBIANSHARK's embedded Photo
Ok you lazy arsed tower builders....where the damn aluminum soffit and fascia, and the siding!!! lol

nice job guys on the builds. Awesome!!!

04-Sep-09
And by the way.....who the hell tought you guys to build a staircase???? I'm calling the building inspector on both you guys....lol

08-Sep-09

i built this chicken coop last year, but didn't finish siding it until this year.

08-Sep-09

in case anyone forgot this is the inside of the coop. it is well insulated, heated, has light fixtures, outlets and surround sound.

08-Sep-09
You got me thinking on that surround sound thing now rusty!!!! lol

My favorite music is bucking grunts. lol

08-Sep-09
I built up this really cool bone spur, and shoulder problem all by myself for the fall!! LOL gotta laugh at myself sometimes.

08-Sep-09

Bloodtrail's embedded Photo
Bloodtrail's embedded Photo
Just put the finishing touching on my new "mew".

Took the State/Federal exam for falconry and passed. Had my new pen inspected and received my license several days ago.

Trapping starts 09-16 and I hope to start with a redtail hawk!!

Hope to have an intresting fall....

BT

08-Sep-09
bloodtrail,

do you mean you'll be able to trap a hawk? if so, we should talk. I've had a hawk intimidating my chickens that you can come and trap.

heck, you can have the hawk and all the raccoons you can catch.

08-Sep-09
I'll PM ya!!

09-Sep-09

"Two shot, are those stands made out of wood?"

Yes, (don't try this at home..) but all the important parts are backed up by 3" X 1/8" steel plate. 500# aircraft cable, double crimped. I trust it will hold up my measly 200#

09-Sep-09

Bloodtrail,

here is a picture of the bugger, come and get it.

09-Sep-09
Rusty -

Let me know if ya see it again. It "appears" the tail is red, but with the sunlight it's hard to tell. If the tail is a dull brown it's this years hawk and would be a neat bird to hunt with.

I am only allowed to take a "passage" bird, which would be one fledged this year. Mature hawk are left as proven breeding stock.

It's allready proven itself as a hunter it seems!!

BT

09-Sep-09
I don't know if it was the same hawk, but this evening there was a hawk circling - he had the chickens all wound up.

I'll post another picture of the hawk so you can better judge its age.

09-Sep-09

unfortunately this is the best picture I have showing the tail, hope it helps. If you send me your email address I can send you a larger copy.

10-Sep-09
Rusty -

PM sent.

11-Sep-09
Rancid Crabtree, how do you make the Gillie and camo, those look awesome!

13-Sep-09

Bigg Woodz's embedded Photo
Bigg Woodz's embedded Photo
After the final sanding is done and two coats of marine varnish are applied, here is my key to the back door of river bottom bucks!

14-Sep-09
Big Woods, that is an awsome looking canoe. Great job, my dad used to build canoes and fishing boats. It is quite a craft.

14-Sep-09

Arcus Venator's embedded Photo
Six of the eight cameras I built. Ordering supplies for two more.

14-Sep-09

Inside

15-Sep-09

goshawk's embedded Photo
goshawk's embedded Photo
Pet carrier.

15-Sep-09
Finally.....something I can Make!!

07-Nov-10
TTT

07-Nov-10
Ron - sorry to hear about your relative - could you please pass on more info on how you built the feather burner? ps" what's TTT stand for?

07-Nov-10
Formerbutcher or others, I cut a chunk of green maple, about 3" in dia. and formed it up with a hatched for a self bow. I made a form to clamp it in to put some reflex in it. I have heard to let it dry for 3 months to a year. Do any of you know how long would be good? It's been clamped up since june/july of this year as of now.

07-Nov-10
TTT - "To the TOP"

• Sitka Gear