Dream Catcher 17-Sep-08
BowhuntingCT 19-Sep-08
Emmitt 19-Sep-08
ROEN 19-Sep-08
BowhuntingCT 20-Sep-08
Keywadin 24-Sep-08
bowman 24-Sep-08
12-Sep-08
So in preparation for opening day I decide to take the bow out of the case and start flinging arrows at the target to tune in some bh's. Now I have a small yard to shoot in with no back yard. I am shooting parallel to the street with only the street and sidewalk in front of me (no cars, people, animals, etc). I have been shooting this way for the past three (3) years now, and even one time a cop stops at the stop sign I shoot by, while I am shooting and he continues on his way. So I think no problem.... wrong I guess. Today about 30 minutes ago while I am making a new dot on my target a cop car shows up right next to me. So with a confused look on my face i take off my headphones and greet the officer. He informs me that a "neighbor" called and complained that a man was shooting a bow in his yard. I shook my head and agreed while handing over my ID. As he takes my ID another cop car turns the corner and joins in. Also I am wearing my "Bow Hunter - Dominate The Woods" t-shirt while this is going on. They ask me all these questions on why I am shooting, I reply with preparation for opening day. One cop was just doing his job and he knew this complaint call was all bs and the other one you can tell was thinking "this stupid kid". They told me to not shoot in my yard anymore today. Anyway, anyone here think this is complete garbage? Do you ever get hassled while shooting your bow? And what would you do in this situation?

Dahmer

12-Sep-08
I shoot in my yard but I have the house as a back stop if I went by and you were shooting in your front yard parallel to the road and a chance that the arrow could get off your property I might call myself. STEVE

12-Sep-08
If this was your backyard and had a good backstop (not a playground), I would say this would sound like harassment. Now shooting in a front yard next to the road, I don't know about that. I would question the safety also.

I am in the same boat with no room to shoot, you just have to find a range or area safe to shoot.

12-Sep-08
as long as you have a back stop they cannot stop you ....it is not agaisnt the law....

keep right on shooting !!!! I use my garage as the back stop ....

12-Sep-08
Why the headphones? You listening to music while "tuning your bh's"?

12-Sep-08
Dahmer, I have several police officers in my family and I know everyone out there has their own opinions about the police in general. Unfortunatly for you, you were asked by the police to stop shooting in the front yard. There is really nothing you can do now without it probably becoming more of an issue then its worth. You can change where you shoot, using the house as a backstop like the others said, but I can almost promise you, as soon as you step foot in the yard with the bow in open sight the police are going to show up. If its the same officers as before be prepared to get an earful. I think one of your neighbors like to use the phone too much!

12-Sep-08
At this point the officer doesn't have an ordinance to follow and is suggesting you find another place to practice. If you push things, we all may regret it since your situation isn't the best to defend and a town ordinance could be written to bother us all.

Is there anyone new in your neighborhood who wouldn't have seen you for the last three years? Coming to an agreement with a person who has already called the cops, doesn't look too promising, but it would be worth the try.

Now here's a real kick in the pants. You can't go to a state forest and practice. It is considered target shooting and that is forbidden. Granted that rule was probably intended for guns, however, I have spoken to people who were informed by DEP officers that it also applies to bows.

Here is where membership in a club with grounds is a blessing. Got a friend with room to shoot?

12-Sep-08
Thats bs. you can hunt on a postage stamp but you cant shoot in your back or front yard? keep shooting!!!! Let them call again.

12-Sep-08
Sorry but shooting parallel to the road and "with nothing in front of me but the sidewalk and the street" is a very dangerous situation, especially with broadheads. I'm surpised it took 3 years for you to be questioned about it.

One other question, are you just now picking up your bow to get ready for a season that starts in 3 days??

13-Sep-08
does not matter if the cops came or not.....that is not breaking the law.... just make sure it is safe ...you need a back stop....buy some hay bails and you are fine

13-Sep-08
Im sure he has a back stop or some thing.

13-Sep-08
First, str8shooter, yes every time I shoot my bow I listen to my music, are you questioning my ability to tune while listening to music? Second, Scottyluck, yesterday was the first day I started to shoot my bh's, I like to wait to shoot them right before the season starts so I know what ones will fly straight on opening day. I have been shooting the past month getting ready and building up my strength so I can make accurate shots. Third, Tguzz, I think you are misunderstanding my views on the police, I respect them and I know they have to do their job, in this situation I am more upset with the "neighbor" that called the cops, are people that scared to come out and say something to me? And I was just describing my opinion of the two officers that were in this situation.

13-Sep-08
Hang on now, let's not turn this into a pissin match. It's obvious this situation comes down to safety, not your abilities. Therefore the different opinions on this. We as hunters must respect the law and our neighbors. I'm not saying you did anything illegal but for the police to come and ask you to shut it down, someone is concerned and we do not need any negative attention brought on us. As far as the headphones, I personally like all my attention given to the act of shooting a very dangerous weapon. Again it comes down to safety. Considering you are near the road in a neighborhood, what if a kid on a bike came out of nowhere, out of control, and he yelled something as you were about to shoot? Unlikely? Very, but you never know. Just want ya to be safe, dude. Hope you get zeroed in and have a great season. Good luck, shootstr8, and be safe.

13-Sep-08
funny you should say a kid would come out of no where and yell......how could a yell distract me when I am listening to my music? And listening to my music is a way for me to focus on shooting and not distractions like traffic.... Also do you not listen to music while driving a dangerous vehicle ? Shouldn't you be focusing on your driving? also funny

13-Sep-08
Dahmer512, Clear some things up for us. Are you shooting to the side walk or at your house???? I think alot of people including my wife that just read your post think your shooting at your side walk.

13-Sep-08
I shoot two different ways one is towards my deck which is 12 yard shot and then I also shoot from my lawn to the other side of the lawn, not towards/into/across the street or sidewalk. As I stated before "I am shooting parallel to the street with only the street and sidewalk in front of me (no cars, people, animals, etc)" which after reading a second time is worded incorrectly. the street is not in front of me it is on the right of me. Which means the only thing in my path of shooting is my lawn. Sorry for the confusion and I hope this clears up any questions.

Dahmer

13-Sep-08
Towards your deck sounds like it's towards your house.

But what is your backstop when "the only thing in my path of shooting is my lawn"? I think this is where we are getting the idea you are shooting in an unsafe direction.

13-Sep-08
my backdrop is a tree and beyond that is my neighbors lawn.

13-Sep-08
I would bet the neighbor that called is beyond the tree you are shooting towards.

13-Sep-08
Dahmer, I've got no problem with your feelings towards the two offices that came to your house. All I trying to convey was that the police, in general HATE repeat calls back to the same location. I was just trying to spare you the grief of having to deal with pissed off police officers that keep coming back to the house where they were just at recently. I'm not telling you to stop shooting, but if you have a neighbor who either gets off on calling the cops on you or is just a worry wart, the more the police get called the more you'll have to deal with it. If you don't mind dealing with the police, god bless you! I'm related to them and I can't stand them! Regardless of what ends up happening I hope you don't have to deal with any extra b/s! Your only trying to enjoy yourself.

13-Sep-08
Shooting a bow in your front yard is legal as long as there are no local ordinances prohibiting it. The cops won't continue to show up once they understand what you are doing isn't illegal regardless of how many calls your neighbor makes. The neighbor will ultimately be the one the cops get pissed off at.

13-Sep-08
"Shooting a bow in your front yard is legal as long as there are no local ordinances prohibiting it"

The point made above, you make a huge stink and next thing you know they do make a ordinance that hurts all of us over a questionable safety issue shooting next to a road with a Neighbors tree as a backstop.

I am sure if you want to fight city hall and the police department you can, its up to you. I would rather not make a huge issue, get the police against you and have the neighbor file a lawsuit or call the cops on you the day that arrow flys into his yard. Just my 2cents.

13-Sep-08
"The point made above, you make a huge stink and next thing you know they do make a ordinance that hurts all of us over a questionable safety issue shooting next to a road with a Neighbors tree as a backstop"

So I guess you guys won't be doing the urban deer hunting thing for fear that you will have ordinances passed against that and have the neighbors and police pissed at you when the deer you just shot dies in the neighbors swimming pool while they have all the relatives over for a barbecue. Sounds logical to me. I would assume that there is a degree of common sense when it comes to target shooting in your yard that the neighbors kids swingset is not the backstop and there isn't the opportunity to send an arrow through the door of a car passing by.

If you want give up legal activities for fear the neighbors will call the cops that's your choice, frankly I won't. What's the difference if an ordinance is passed or not. If you give up an activity for fear of creating an ordinance against it that's no different than if there was an ordinance in the first place, it's the same net result.

14-Sep-08
bb,

Having never seen the location, couldn't you consider that just maybe there is some hazard there? The three previous years practice at this location may have been at differing times and not observed by the recent complainer.

I shoot in my back yard towards a five foot high stone wall which terraces the neighbors yard above mine. Over the years since I started shooting there, there have been numerous changes in the renters on both floors of the house. Should one of the neighbors leave the house to go to the garage, I pause or stop and try to give them a wave of acknowledging their presence.

Dahmer doesn't have a problem with the law, it's with a neighbor and that can be hellish for a long time if not handled well.

14-Sep-08
SAFETY FIRST, a tree as a back stop is not a very good back stop. I agree it is probably the neighbor beyond the tree. you should of put up some bails of hay or something more that a tree for a back stop. everybody on this forum should hit what they aim for. no question you will hit somewhere on your target. but something could happen and your arrow could get a way, then what? it's a coulda,shoulda, woulda statement. what your doing is probably not illegal yet. but if you keep doing it there will be a ordnance in your town and then there will be ordnances in other towns to follow. ( THANKS DAHMER ) There are so many people against our sport out there. why give them more reasons to put more regulations on us. SAFETY FIRST just my 2 cents

14-Sep-08
I had a cable break once and the arrow flew off at 9:00. Sorry but I think you should have a better back stop for safety and remember there are all kinds of charges they can dream up to pinch you on. (reckless endangerment)ect. good luck.

14-Sep-08
"Having never seen the location, couldn't you consider that just maybe there is some hazard there?"

Like I said, there has to be some common sense used in setting up a practice range. We can't endanger lives or property because you want to shoot your bow. however this is a different issue than giving up practice shooting just because the neighbor calls the cops, I stand by my post that if it's legal no one has grounds to tell you to stop. If you are potentially endangering lives that's another issue.

16-Sep-08
AS a certified law enforcement officer, a fellow bow hunter and a home owner that shoots his bow on his property, this type of action-activity might fall under CT. General Statute (53a-181) Breach Of Peace...The location is what I'm concerned about...I'm not an expert regarding all state laws but If I'm not mistaken one of the elements for Breach Of Peace is causing alarm or anoyance in a public location...Sounds like discharging your bow close to the road might be creating a public hazard...I'm not saying you are right or wrong or should be arrested for shooting your bow in the front yard. I would just avoid further complaints and find a safe location to shoot your bow. Is your backyard an option...? Either way I hope you have a great bow season.

Be safe

16-Sep-08
You have to put yourself in your neighbors position. How would you feel if you walked outside and someone had a weapon aimed toward your property? (Backstop or not) The chances of the arrow missing its mark may not be that Common, but it happens, and anyone who says the've never had an errant shot due to target panic or malfunction is a liar. I would never shoot toward anyones lawn front or back, even with a backstop. But, if my neighbor was shooting toward my house, I would go over and speak to him first. Maybe you could reach an amicable solution. My 2

16-Sep-08
tguzz, i'm sorry you dont like the police. Until you hve to call 911. You sound like my brother. Bottom line, we are all under the microscope, like it or not. Be as safe as possible. Maybe make arrangements with a neighbor to shoot in a safer location. good luck.

16-Sep-08
i agree with BB...

the Breach of Peace comment...you can be arrested for mowing the lawn to early if that is the case. anyone who shoots a rifle on 10 acres can be arrested if someone does not like it...anyone hunting on Private property can be arrested if someone calls...the list goes on and on ....that will not stand up in a court of law...so go ahead and get the ticket..plead not guilty

I am all for Police doing quality police work... something like this is a waste of their time...all my friends who are officers agree

it should be safe but just because someone calls does not mean it has to be stopped

16-Sep-08
Anton, I was trying to be sarcastic about not liking the police. My grandfather was a cop for 30 years and my father has been a cop for 35 years. Basically I have been around police officers from the moment I was born. I was only trying to add to the discussion based on what I know growing up with a cop for a dad and listening to all of his stories. The amount of cr*p that cops have to deal with on a daily basis is crazy. I was hoping that Dahmer did'nt end up getting on the police's bad side with this whole shooting in the yard issue. Trust me, I don't know what towns your all from but having the police know you on a first name basis for the wrong reasons is probably not a good idea. And like some of you stated above, this reflects on all of us. You don't need the police associating a bow and arrow with something negative. Anyway, I think I'll ease out of this discussion now. Happy and safe hunting to you all!

16-Sep-08
If my best friend was shooting toward my house with only a tree for a back stop I would brack his bow over his head you guys have got to be kidding legal or not common sence . STEVE

17-Sep-08
I was not shooting toward a house, and if you are going to make some kind of argument please use grammar, spell check, and punctuation. Thank you.

17-Sep-08
steve that is funny .....

i was assuming it was safe shooting

17-Sep-08
tguzz, no problem good luck

17-Sep-08
First this a bow site not school so I dont want to hear any crap ! If you want to shoot in your front yard try getting a sheet of plywood 4x8 at least the neighbor thinks your making attempt .Steve

17-Sep-08
I shoot in my yard but shoot towards 26 acres of woods as a backstop not my neighbor’s lawn. Although I have though of using there barking dog as a target more than once.

You stated “my backdrop is a tree and beyond that is my neighbor’s lawn.”.

I like the fact that you are practicing prior to hitting the woods but if you are shooting towards my lawn, backyard, shed, or anything else in my families general direction as in my property I would be returning fire. That’s just plain dumb. A 4x8 sheet or 5 stacked high hay bails would still not change the fact that you are shooting in the general direction of someone’s lawn. Kids or animals can walk out there at anytime and shouldn’t have to check if it’s safe from flying arrows. Not something you want to worry about in your own yard.

I have had arrows pop out of my release while drawing back from the tensioner screw loosening up. Have seen many people miss fire for one reason or another and seen bows break before during and after a shot. And not just my Oneida bows. LOL

All of which are unplanned accidents can send an arrow up and over any backstop hundreds of yards away. Walk any 3D range and scope out the upper tree branches. Look hard and you will find some arrows that did not planned on being there.

Your neighbor should have talked with you first. But after reading this it sounds like you would have still thought it was safe to practice there.

Sorry. I would say you need a new place to shoot.

I’m in Middlebury. If you live near by you welcome to use my yard.

Jay

17-Sep-08
Dam. I need to use spell check.

Glad I have a secretary. LOL

17-Sep-08
When you try to make an argument and your english is wrong, it just makes a weak point. I mean "brack" come on, you really are not even close.

17-Sep-08
Dahmer, making fun of someone's spelling is not going to help your case and is not nice. Look, I do not care if the tree is 10 feet wide that is used for your backstop. IF that arrow was ever to deflect, it can be a very serious. Wearing headphones and using broadheads only show a greater lack in judgement. I'm sure you are a very nice person. However, if I was living next door to you, this would be a problem. I agree with Steve, respectfully.

If you want to test your BH's and practice long shoots drop me a PM. Good Luck!

19-Sep-08
I shoot in my back yard with my garage as a backstop. I am very discreet about it even though the neighbors cant see me very well. A few years back my release broke as I drew back (not at full draw yet) and the arrow loosed, missing my target by 5 feet from 20 yards away Luckily hitting my garage. I did plan for this to happen if I ever had a problem (meaning) if something broke or I slipped I would at least hit my garage and not an unlucky neighbor. Arrows deflect rather easily too. Dont forget about the penetrating power of an arrow. Ive shot through 2 sheets of plywood and stuck through the log pile behind it. Personally I dont want all the neighbors to see me practice anyway. Keep it safe fella's, not only do we owe it to the deer for a quick kill, but I think we owe it to all of us an non hunters alike to keep our shooting as safe as we can keeping weapons always pointed in a safe direction. Just my oppinion, I dont mean to jump on anyone here!

19-Sep-08
well said BowhuntingCT....well said

19-Sep-08
I also use to shoot in my backyard, I used my garage as my backstop untile my arrow ended up stuck on my neighbors house, looks like my relase was not fully locked on my string and the arrow flu up and over my garage, anyway 10 minutes later I had four cop cars in front of my house. I was placed under arest and charged with criminal mischife and recklus endagerment, had my bow taken away and had to hire a atterny and place under unsupervised probation for one year.not a good feeling. Should get my bow back next month before season in over. I agree with bowhuntingCT 100%. this in my 2cents

20-Sep-08
Holy smokes Roen, sounds like a rough day. Better days are ahead of us all.

24-Sep-08
What are you doing pointing your bow up in the air while your drawing? Sounds like to much draw weight to me. I see this all the time at my club.

24-Sep-08
Got to agree with all you guys. I on occasion had practiced in my driveway, shooting into my open garage at my target. What happened was I missed my target, it was about a 50 yard shot, the arrow went through the sheetrock,and most of the way through the outside of the house also damaging my vinyl siding. I don't do that any longer. Now I practice at times, in my backyard. Only when I KNOW my rear neighbor is not home, and my neighbor to the side is also gone(during the day only), and I have 2-wooden fences a 5/8 sheet of plywood and a shed beyond all that as a backstop.

Be carefull. And be discreet. Most people do not want to see myself, or anyone else in a residential area touching off arrows.

• Sitka Gear