Apel 16-Oct-08
SERBIANSHARK 16-Oct-08
SERBIANSHARK 17-Oct-08
Browning3 04-Nov-08
The Democrat 04-Nov-08
Slayer 06-Oct-10
13-Oct-08
You sure that wasn't in Ladysith...lol

I'm just teasing...i know there are mt. lions here.

13-Oct-08
No one with the DNR is saying there are not any lions here. Instead, they are saying there is not a breeding population of lions here. That is a big difference. Show me a picture of a momma with kittens. Heck, I would even go with conclusive evidence of a female. Then you have an actual population or at least the potential of one. These cats are transients. A bunch of bachelor males who will not reproduce. Probably young males. There is no evidence to the contrary.

BTW, awesome picture.

Falco

13-Oct-08
Sully, I think the Wisconsin Outdoor News was asking reader to submit photos of cougars. Great Photo!

BC

13-Oct-08
Sorry Sully but I have to say that it's a Bob Cat and not ol Pete Puma.

13-Oct-08
you beat me to it droptine. that is a bobcat for sure. i cant believe anyone would think that is a cougar. you can see the white on it's face and the black along it's ears plain as day.

13-Oct-08
also, look at the shoulder height in comparison to the tree trunk and the foliage. sorry, keep trying. by the way, i do know there are cougars in wis, but that isnt one of them

13-Oct-08
Bobcats have been becoming more common in Buffalo County lately and that looks like one of them. Cool pic however, Thanks for sharing it.

13-Oct-08
Probably escaped from a zoo. Just kidding, nice pic.

13-Oct-08
The head on that cat seems rather small compared to the body size.

13-Oct-08
I agree its a bobcat

13-Oct-08
It's Bob..

bt

13-Oct-08
I would have to disagree with your assessment that this is a bobcat. The body on this cat is really, really long and most bobcat's are fairly stout. Also, look at the size of this thing's shoulders. If you google search for mountain lion pictures, you will see quite a few photo's of mountain lions with white on their face as well, there are no noticeable tufts on top of the ears. Yeah, there is black on the outside of the ears, but in the mountain lion pictures, some have black on the outside of the ears.

If you look at pictures of bobcat's(thank goodness for google) you'll notice that the bobcat's coat is quite furry and not really very smooth. This cat's coat is awefully smooth. As well, bobcat's often times have spots/stripes on their coats. I really don't think this is a bobcat but thankfully we live in America where free discussion and difference of ideas is allowed!

13-Oct-08
That does look a bit odd. I have personally seen a mountain lion just south of Hayward about 10 years ago and one here by Turtle Lake just last year and while that looks very much the same the head is a little different. The head doesn't quite look like a lion but more like a bobcat while the body is most definitely a lion.

13-Oct-08
I do not believe that this photo is one of a bobcat and I agree with rideandhunt. The bobcats that I've seen are much smaller than this animal, with fur that is multi-colored- like a tabby cat.

14-Oct-08
lion no doubt, body structure tells all. i have property in b c , there has been quite a few lions spotted by locals and on cameras in the last couple years.

14-Oct-08

SERBIANSHARK's embedded Photo
If thats a bobcat....this is last year Ms. America.

14-Oct-08

14-Oct-08

14-Oct-08
Nope..still Bob...

BT

14-Oct-08
some of you are seeing what you want to see. bobs vary in color and some get pretty big. i saw one myself once that at first glance, i thought was a cougar. it's tail was nowhere long enough though. it was running at full speed and i only got a short look. so it can be confusing. sorry fellas, that is a bob.

14-Oct-08

DO YOU GUY NOT SEE THE THE WHITE UNDERSIDE THAT IS AN EXACT MATCH TO A PUMA?

DO YOU GUYS NOT SEE THE HUMP ON THE CATS SHOULDER AREA?

DO YOU GUYS NOT SEE THE HEAD STRUCTURE?

DO YOU NOT SEE THE WHITE PIECE AROUND THE MOUTH SECTION AS HIS HEAD IS TURNED?

It's a puma/cougar/mt. lion FOR SURE.

Bobcats can get big...lol.....what 120lbs...lol....just look at the foliage....thats a big big cat...not a frickin bobcat.

I'll do you bobcat guys a favor and ask my pals out west in the big game forum and see how much they laugh at the bobcat thoughts.

Sorry to sound harsh...i do come across a bit that way as i'm reading this back to myself....but it's NOT a bobcat...it's A PUMA!!!

Now as to where this pic was actually taken....now thats another story....i have no reason to doubt sully, and i do believe like falco said that the are most likely transents from SD or something....but anyhow....if it is in WI.......it's a pic of a puma.

14-Oct-08
The speculation here would lead me to believe it's a bobcat. The cougars I've seen, there is no mistaking what it is.

14-Oct-08
"some of you are seeing what you want to see. bobs vary in color and some get pretty big"

Oh really....show us ONE mature pictue of a bobcat with absolutely not one single spot on the hide??? You'll never find one anywhere....they don't exist!!!

14-Oct-08
No spots show up for the same reason that all the plants are the same color . Its the camera . The short blunt nose tells me its a bobcat . Its long legs are hidden from view and that gives us an impression that the cat is longer than it really is .

14-Oct-08

By the way....one of the biggest give aways....the hump of the shoulder blades.

14-Oct-08
The "Cat of One Color" is called by many names, depending upon its geographic region: cougar, puma, mountain lion, catamount, and even panther. As the only other plain-colored big cat besides the African lion, cougars come in a variety of shades. In tropical areas, their coat tends to be more reddish-brown. Further north, their fur lightens to silver-gray. In between they can be sandy brown or buff, depending on habitat.

Long and lean, cougars are efficient day and night active predators built to leap, climb trees, sprint, and ambush. Reaching lengths of eight to nine feet and weights between eighty and two hundred pounds, cougars have excellent vision, hearing, and olfaction and use these senses to detect and stalk their prey. Long hind limbs in proportion to fore limbs are an adaptation for jumping and easier movement through steep canyons and ravines. Big, padded paws help the cougar navigate through variable terrain and grapple their next meal. Inch-and-a-half-long canines in concert with sheathed claws make them armed and deadly. Moving its head back and forth as it patrols its home range, a cougar uses its eyes to hunt, scanning for movement. When prey is detected, the eyes and ears of the cougar fix on the site until the source of motion is determined. With their long tail used for balance, these athletic felines can make incredible leaps in pursuit of prey or to silently disappear into the underbrush.

"As the only other plain-colored big cat besides the African lion, cougars come in a variety of shades."

Now to go a bit further...Willimar Mn had a sighting AND A CAPTURE OF A COUGAR IN FEB. OF 2006. That is confirmed and nobody can doubt that.

14-Oct-08
And since i'm on a roll...wilimar mn and mondovi wi are 187 miles apart....last i looked...mondovi is not even the closest point to wilimar in buffalo co.

like i said....it's a puma. No doubt about it.

Nw chris...what are you saying about the size??? 18"-24" tops???? I 'd think 24" minimum!!!! And cougars are just right for that height....they go from 80lbs-200+lbs. their not 36" tall or anything like that.

unless you run into shaqpuma...lol

14-Oct-08

SERBIANSHARK's Link

14-Oct-08

SERBIANSHARK's Link
here's a different link too.

14-Oct-08

LOL.....GOT TO LOVE HAVING REALLY GOOD PHOTOSHOP SOFTWARE AND BEING ABLE TO GO AND CHECK THE DETAILS.

The picture looks in fact to possibly be a photoshopped print.

Looks like when i go into the pixels...that i see a distinct line from top to bottom imposing a bobcat face on a cougars body....

see for yourselves.....you see the missing portion on tp of the bobcats head where it meets with the body...

14-Oct-08
ok now i know why fish and game do not take cougar sightings seriously. if people cannot tell a bobcat from a mountain lion in a picture, how could they tell it in real life?

it couldn't be more obvious that that is a BOBCAT!

14-Oct-08
i thought bobcat when i first saw it too.

14-Oct-08
The head is definately a bobcat. Smaller ears, distance from ears to eyes, size of the eyes, and the short snout.

14-Oct-08
Mike the cheese is right...it's a photoshopped bobolion.

14-Oct-08
I thought the same thing when i first looked at it but gave it the benefit of the doubt. I knew that head looked weird on that body.

14-Oct-08
i dont know about photoshop....maybe, maybe not. looking at it with my eye, that is clearly a bobcat head. who said ANYTHING about a 120# bobcat? a 55# cat is a pretty big animal. like i said, comparing the body size to the stump and foliage, it doesnt look like a big animal to me.

14-Oct-08
the picture isn't clear enough be certain. As far as the fern in the background is concerned, I have some ferns growing near a stream on my property that are a good 4' high.

14-Oct-08
hows that foot taste?

14-Oct-08
Yep, still Bob...

BT

14-Oct-08
its 100% a bobcats face on a lions head,neck and body.

14-Oct-08
The biggest give away is the original poster of the l thread has not commented back! Sully sounds a lot lot agent scully x-files lol woooowwwoooo.

15-Oct-08
I agree that i was wrong in thinking cougar solely...but i've broken the pixels down ever further...it is a cougar body that someone spliced...and brushed a bobcat face into.

Baldo, keep it up...you'll have a short career here.

15-Oct-08
One thing that doesn't jive with me is that if someone wanted to pass this off as a photo of a cougar, why would they supposedly remove the cougar's head and paste in a bobcat's head? Wouldn't it be more convincing just to leave the cougar's head in place?

It would be nice to hear what Sully has to say about all of this.

15-Oct-08
hey serb.... not to pick on you...but seriously.... fyi i have been hanging around here since 2001 and i lurk mostly. i have followed the posts here and i know many through their posts and posting style. you are so quick to slam on those you dont agree with, belittle them and you try to shout them down. as if to say, "how dare you not agree with me!". not just this post, but many, many others i have seen. you have become quite a personality around here, which is fine until you flame others that have a different opinion. i aint trying to shred or pick on you, it is just an observation that i have made over the last few years. you can either brush me off, or take a minute to think about it. sometimes others insights can be invaluable; which is why i have bothered to lurk here for this many years. just something to think about; and again, i aint trying to step on your toes.

15-Oct-08
mYRONMAN3....I'll give you that my writing style can be abrupt at times....but to say i flame people or put them down...as you point this thread out....i simply don't agree a bit. All i did was try and point out as many deatails to make a point. Did you ever see that i called anyone dumb, or an idiot like i've seen so many people in the past do???? No. Thats simply not me, and those that know me personally here at bowsite would surely vouch for that. I'm a fun guy...lol

Now i did jump the gun before getting into the details of the picture i totally admit....but having seen multiple bobcats in my life, and multiple cougars also...i know forthe life of me that that body is NOT a bobkitty....t's a cougar....but after looking at the photo with software....it is clearly a bobcat face.

If i offended you in some way...i totally apologize...that is and never will be my intention. Only a few people here have that coming ..and you are not one of them.

serb

15-Oct-08

Orion's embedded Photo
Orion's embedded Photo

15-Oct-08

Look at this pic carefully....do you not see the cut and paste job now. LOOK where the back lin is and where the head is superimposed. Not a bad job, but it's still pretty crude.

You can also see the pixel distortion line going from the top to the bottm of the facr where it's attached.

Last but not least....look where the ears are located...they are too far back on that face.

It's a photoshop job.

15-Oct-08
no offense taken here. btw, i've been guilty of doing the same in the past at times. each day my goal is to be a better person than i was the day before. at any rate, the coat color is different, but they do vary in color. lighting can play a big part in it, too. and the hump, while it looks cougarish, it could very well be that it is stalking. any cat looks that way when they are in sneak mode. it is just their shoulder blades sticking up as they are keeping their body low. whether the pic was doctored or not i cant say. it is a cool picture anyway.

15-Oct-08
Sully -

OK, what was the take Mr. Warnke had on the photo?

Thanks -

BT

15-Oct-08
if you look at picture...same type of line is throught the picture! its all the camera!

15-Oct-08

Slayer's embedded Photo
Slayer's embedded Photo
The picture that was submitted by a friend of mine (Sully))is my picture. I took the card out of the camera and installed it into my computer. No picture alterations could have ever been performed because I have a hard enough time just getting to view what is on the card(not a computer/camera expert). As I will try with this post to advance my computer skills and try to attach a deer photo taken at the same location. If you have ever killed a deer you have a feel for the size of animal and the distance between the hind quarters and nose. This is no bobcat. Much greater distance than 2 feet here.

Once the investigation is complete with the DNR more info will be available. If this was a Bobcat when Keith Warnke (WDNR Wildlife Manager) viewed my picture he would have responded that it was. He has made no claim that this is a bobcat. He did say that SD Black Hills population of lions have been expanding and young male lions are dispersing long distances. "No mountain lions have been released by DNR in WI (zero,none,0). WI DNR has not introduced any mountain lions to WI."

You guys can believe what you want but I spend nearly 200 hours a year in a stand and not looking at the magazine and internet sites. Get out and enjoy what our state has to offer. Whatever this cat is it is the rarest animal that I have ever observed of over 10,000 trail camera pictures I have obtained.

15-Oct-08
The deer's back is well over the top of the stump to the left while the bobcat is well under the stump.

"The size of the mountain lion depends upon several environmental factors. Climate, elevation, vegetation, and food supply all affect the end outcome of the cat's size, as it does with other creatures in the wild. Adult males can be quite large, possibly more over 8 feet in length from nose to tail tip and weigh in between 130 and 200 pounds."

looking at the size of the deer and guaging the size of a mountain lion tothe deer there is no way the pictured cat above is even 75 lbs. Going by the hight and length of the bobcat in the first picture.

15-Oct-08
Thanks for the pics. slayer.

I have had wolf tracks on my Adams Cty land for the past 9 months. With 2 cameras, still no luck getting a picture. Not to prove they are there ( den site was originally about 7 miles SE), just to get a picture.

Bobcat or mt lion...has to be a thrill first time your viewing your pics.

Now if they would only stand still for a few pics.

15-Oct-08

Now even I'm confused..lol

16-Oct-08

Apel's embedded Photo
Apel's embedded Photo
Let's take that last combo photo one step further and add some lines for reference so we can get a better feel for the height of the two animals.

Granted, the doe could be closer to the camera, but not by much.

16-Oct-08
"I think you've been confused the whole time...you just now realized it! Ha! ;^) "

AS LONG AS I DON'T GET CONFUSED WHILE FOLLOWING YOU UP TO WYOMING NEXT YEAR ELK HUNTING....i'LL be just fine...he he....:^)

17-Oct-08
LOL...

04-Nov-08

Browning3's embedded Photo
Browning3's embedded Photo
Here is the "REAL" original.

04-Nov-08
There are infact cougars in wisconsin, our neighbor in north western jackson county had a cougar attempt to take out a foal, and the mare got in the way, took a HUGE chunk o of flesh out of that mares front shoulder, cat has been seen 4 differnt times this summer as well.

06-Oct-10
From 2 yrs ago some fo the talk.

• Sitka Gear