longshot 06-Nov-08
flats1 06-Nov-08
flboarhunter 07-Nov-08
t_bare 28-Oct-13
Cuda141 02-Nov-13
t_bare 06-Nov-13
t_bare 17-Nov-13
19-Oct-08
I just came back from scouting green swamp west for my archery hunt in Nov. I have a couple questions for those who have hunted there before. first, do they open up any of the roads to cars during the hunt. riding back there on my bicycle about killed me!! roads are really not bicycle friendly! and second, what time is the rut in that area usually?? saw tons of hog rootin' and deer sign but them skeeters and humid heat made me leave a little earlier than planned. any info would be great! Thanks, Mark

19-Oct-08
Check the brochure, it shows all the drivable roads. Some years a "car" won't make it on all the roads(sand,mud etc.). Rut? anytime from September to May? One good thing about their late archery hunts, it's usually cooler weather. Good draw and good luck!

20-Oct-08
Thanks itshot, Man what a tough place to scout on bike!lol!! looking forward to the hunt.

21-Oct-08
ive hunted it once, saw more deer that day than any other day deer hunting in my life, I videoed 18 deer from the stand that day and saw more driving in and out. its a great place, sit all day if you can.

21-Oct-08
According to the GSW biologist the rut peaks in December at GSW. You can bring your car on the day before your day to hunt, then you have to leave that evening but you can go to the group campground that night and wait for the gate to open up (I think it is 5 a.m.). You can drive your car on main roads only during your hunting days. Cannot block a road when you park. You have to leave every evening. The roads this year are great. I rode on them two days ago on my bike with no issues what so ever (except the 20 mph wind I was peddling into).

Bring your thermacell for the mosquito's. However I spent 7 hours in the woods and got bit nary once (of course it was 57 degrees Sunday).

I peddled upon 4 deer, walked up on hogs to 30 yards, they don't seem to skiddish yet, found two bedding areas and subsequently two stand sites (now which one do I hunt!?!?!?)

I know of one other member on here that has a Nov 1 archery, is that yours too?

Oh also, you can take all the hog you want and only 1 buck with 4 points on one side at least 1" long each, and no doe unless you got one of the 12 permits.

Hope this helps.

Shoot me an IM if you have any other questions.

21-Oct-08
Guys, Thanks for the info!! Sailfish, I sent you a PM.

22-Oct-08
Hey Bo, you getting amped up? I've been ready to go for weeks, although I never made it up to scout. I was in Tampa for a wedding this past weekend and hoped to steal a few hours to check it out but commitments kept me from it. Oh well, I'll see you in camp, probably on Saturday as I'll be arriving in the wee hours Sat morning and will probably spend the whole day chasing pork and stalking/scouting unless I fall asleep under a tree somewhere. Didnt draw antlerless this year, bummer.

22-Oct-08
Yes I am.

I got out last Sunday (57 degrees!) and boy was it nice.

I'm hoping that this first cold air "blast" will get the boys moving.

I have yet to confirm any buck siteings (i'm always seeing them tailing away), but did see 4 Sunday within 10 minutes. Once the sun gets up it appears they go somewhat covert.

I have not had any afternoon deer sitings on scouting trips (of course my bicycle is loud and I probably stink by then).

I will not be staying at the camp friday night, but will be lined up at the gate early. I will go Friday day, and set-up shop though.

What color van?

29-Oct-08
Good Stuff. I scouted last weekend. did'nt see any rut sign yet. water is low, but the weather looks good. I'll be hunting the second weekend of archery. Drew a antlerless permit. looking forward to hunting GSW. Does anybody know that what the average number of hunting that actually use their permits? 54 hunters or fewer in the past years?

01-Nov-08
Set up in Wildcat Swamp....you'll do well there

05-Nov-08
Saw nothing, well except when I was driving, just outside the gate, I saw 4 deer at the side of the road laughing at me.

I saw a couple hogs but well out of shooting range.

I did not see any deer hanging (couple hogs) but I sat in the stand from dusk til dawn.

I even went looking for Longshot in the camping area the first night, I did not see the grey van?????

05-Nov-08
Hey Bo. I didnt see your truck either. I only spent about 45 minutes in camp on Saturday setting up my tent in the afternoon, then didnt return until well after dark. I lost a nice sow on Saturday afternoon due to that late rain storm we got around 5ish. Just as I started to blood trail the rain came down hard and I never found her, kind of bummed about that. I did manage to bring in an 82 pound sow on Sunday morning that I shot off of Cedar Pocket. I wish I had a doe permit though, I saw 17 does out near the end of Ranch Road near the old barn over 3 days and successfully put the stalk on two of them but had to let them walk of course. I also saw about 30 turkeys total, two toms, a jake and the rest hens. One guy brought in a 9 point late on Sunday that weighed 131. Another guy got an 8 point Monday evening but I didnt see that one. All in all it was a pretty good hunt but I didnt see buck sign one, so by Sunday afternoon was pretty much dedicated to hogs. I spent most of my time in the woods, only made it to the campground after dark on Sat and Sun. I left after shooting hours closed on Monday as I had to be back in Miami for Tuesday. I wasnt in the camp on Friday night, I arrived at the gate at 4:00am Saturday and drove in at 5:15 after a little catnap in the van. I did see 3 does hanging, two on Monday evening.

05-Nov-08
That was my original scouting/stand area!! I knew I should have stayed with that area. Well I'm glad you at least saw alot wildlife and took home a hog.

I am heading to MI for rifle next week, then back to Upper Hillsborough WMA Dec 6 for archery. I hope my odds get better.

05-Nov-08
It was an expensive hog to be sure, but I got him spot and stalk on the ground with my longbow from about 11 yards, double punched both lungs and she only made it 8-10 yards. Expensive like I said but very satisfying. I am probably going to be up there at the end of February for small game season since hogs are open and they are on the no fee daily permit system.

05-Nov-08
It was an expensive hog to be sure, but I got him spot and stalk on the ground with my longbow from about 11 yards, double punched both lungs and she only made it 8-10 yards. Expensive like I said but very satisfying. I am probably going to be up there at the end of February for small game season since hogs are open and they are on the no fee daily permit system.

05-Nov-08
I have the first gun hunts in there. I have not had a chance to scout it yet (around 3 hours away). How wet is it are the gun deer hunts usually good?

06-Nov-08
It's not wet at all, I didnt see any standing water anywhere. The gun hunts should be pretty good, the biologists say the rut typically starts in early December. And there are lots of hogs and does if you drew a doe permit.

06-Nov-08
Nope I didn't get a doe permit. I thought the rut didn't start until jan inthere. The first hunt should be real good if the rut is suppose to start in dec.

07-Nov-08
longshot, congrats on the sow! I am counting down to the 13th!! Cedar pocket is where I scouted and I have two spots I can go. When I get there I want to scout compressco as I did not get to when I was there a few weeks ago.

Sailfish, I am suprised you did not see any deer in there! Where were you?

28-Oct-13
Zombie Thread Re-Animation!

Who's got GSW Archery Nov. 9-13th 2013? (besides me)

t_bare

02-Nov-13
T-Bare I have Both archery hunts.

Cuda

06-Nov-13
Both Huh? Good for you! I'll be out there in a blue Nissan Titan. I've got a few spots picked out. I hope they are still available when I get out there to set up. I drew a doe permit as well. I have seen good activity when scouting hope it continues into my hunt.

t_bare

17-Nov-13
I shot a doe on Veterans Day, how'd you do?

t_bare

• Sitka Gear